PDA

View Full Version : PAC-10 Discussion Thread

Turtlepower
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Since I can't find one I'll start one.

A little thing people don't realize this year is how well ASU's defense is playing. They are #1 in the PAC-10 in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, and opposition 3rd down efficiency.

ASU is quite possibly one of the most overlooked teams in the country, but they haven't really played high quality competition. I think if they have a decisive victory over Oregon State (10 points or more) than they will be ranked in the top-25 and seen at least as the fourth best team in the PAC-10, if not third.

Also, Oregon will soon play pourly because people should note that classes are not in session. Every year Oregon starts off great, but when classes begin they completely cool off because they aren't prepared for both class and football after focusing on one for so many weeks.

The way I see the PAC-10 shaping up at the end of the year...

1. USC
2. Cal
3. ASU
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. Washington State
7. UCLA
8. Oregon State
9. Stanford
10. Arizona (yes they will be worse than Stanford, that is how overhyped they were).

PAC-10 stats:

http://www.pac-10.org/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/confldrs.html

gstock05
09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd take Oregon over Cal personally, although I'd pick Cal to make the big upsets over USC.

I just think Oregon has the better defense and a good senior quarterback, which = not getting beat by teams you shouldn't get beat by.

Haven't seen ASU play yet this year, but if they can play defense, they'll win some games. Offense has never been the problem at ASU.

Turtlepower
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
2006 Oregon started 5-1, ended season 2-5 (losing last 4)

I foresee a similar path this year. Then again they went 11-1 in 05, so you never know.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Cal has to many offensive weapons for Oregon to handle.just my opinion.
Didnt Oregon also loose Dixon and Leaf last year.I remember watching Costa in a game.

fenikz
09-19-2007, 10:54 PM
I love Keegan Herring of ASU, when he was a freshman I really thought he was going to be of Reggie Bush caliber(not saying he has every done bad still nearly 6 ypc) with him and Torain plus Carpenter playing well the offense should be feared. But as gstock05 said he really depends on thier defense to see how far they will go

Turtlepower
09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I love Keegan Herring of ASU, when he was a freshman I really thought he was going to be of Reggie Bush caliber(not saying he has every done bad still nearly 6 ypc) with him and Torain plus Carpenter playing well the offense should be feared. But as gstock05 said he really depends on thier defense to see how far they will go

The problem with Herring is that he tries to cut back too much instead of take the whole he is given and only pick up 2 or 3 yards. It works against cupcakes, but not against good PAC-10 teams.

And Koetter was an idiot two years ago with Herring and Rudy Burgess. Every time Burgess lined up he would run up the middle and when Herring lined up it would be outside the tackles. It worked against some teams, but most were destroyed.

Torain is questionable for this saturday's game.

KCJ58
09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Arizona State #3 sounds good with me

soybean
09-19-2007, 11:59 PM
The worst problem ASU suffered under koetter was special teams, or more specifically, the punting. They would spread out their punt formation to be able to cover the return more easily, but one problem, they ended up getting a good amount blocked. I still remember when ASu was owning #3LSU but thanks to a blocked punt for a td and a 4th and 22 for a td LSU won.

Turtlepower
09-20-2007, 12:14 AM
The worst problem ASU suffered under koetter was special teams, or more specifically, the punting. They would spread out their punt formation to be able to cover the return more easily, but one problem, they ended up getting a good amount blocked. I still remember when ASu was owning #3LSU but thanks to a blocked punt for a td and a 4th and 22 for a td LSU won.

I was at that game. It was devastating and we never recovered.

The Tigers are who we thought they were!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sidgxPzG1Z8

soybean
09-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I was at that game. It was devastating and we never recovered.

The Tigers are who we thought they were!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sidgxPzG1Z8

nah they did recover, it was the USC game that kind of drove them to rock bottom.

Turtlepower
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
nah they did recover, it was the USC game that kind of drove them to rock bottom.

We recovered because we played horrible teams before USC. And yes, we just didn't know how to win games. And Sam Keller is overrated.

SunDevil450
09-20-2007, 02:03 AM
I agree with everything said about ASU so far as you cant tell I am homer because i am a student here at ASU. However i do believe that the asu can go third in the PAC10 oregon state is a good test but i believe they will beat them by 15 josh barrett should anchor a solid secndary but the defense will need to pick it up during the second half of the season

fenikz
09-20-2007, 02:37 AM
here is a Keegan Herring sig i made awhile ago, if anyone wants to use it feel free just give me some credit

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8551/khcopyca2.jpg

Turtlepower
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree with everything said about ASU so far as you cant tell I am homer because i am a student here at ASU. However i do believe that the asu can go third in the PAC10 oregon state is a good test but i believe they will beat them by 15 josh barrett should anchor a solid secndary but the defense will need to pick it up during the second half of the season

Josh Barrett sucks. Yeah I said it. He has almost played himself off of the team. He needs to step up his play like he did last year because as of right now he is barely making any plays in our secondary. It is questionable if he will even start due to the strong play of JC newcomer Troy Nolan.

San Diego Chicken
09-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Josh Barrett sucks. Yeah I said it. He has almost played himself off of the team. He needs to step up his play like he did last year because as of right now he is barely making any plays in our secondary. It is questionable if he will even start due to the strong play of JC newcomer Troy Nolan.

I agree, Josh hasn't been very impressive to start the season. I think Justin Tryon has been ASU's best DB so far. I would have moved Barrett to LB a while ago.

duckseason
09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Also, Oregon will soon play pourly because people should note that classes are not in session. Every year Oregon starts off great, but when classes begin they completely cool off because they aren't prepared for both class and football after focusing on one for so many weeks.

That doesn't make any sense, and really isn't true. We've had a lot of seasons here where we played great football deep into the season. We've also had seasons where we came out of the gate a little rusty. It kinda sounds like you began following the Ducks beginning with last season. There are a lot of factors that combine to create a collapse of that magnitude. Classes start on the 24th. We play Stanford on the 22nd. If we smash Stanford, and then struggle against Cal on the 29th, are you gonna say "I told you so?" Or are you going to realize that Cal is a very good team and a much more difficult match up for us than we've seen this year? Our run defense sucks ass whether classes have begun or not. Forsett, Best and even Jackson are going to combine to gash us repeatedly for big gains and hopefully we can keep up with them and make some big plays. If we don't, I doubt it'll be because the players had class the day before. It's rare for any team to make it through the entire Pac-10 slate without looking bad at times. Given the week to week difficulty level of our schedule, it should be expected that our level of play drop off slightly as the season goes on. Especially considering how thin we are up front on defense. That was a big part of last season's collapse as well. Our depleted defense simply got worn out.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Damn does the Pac Ten look good this year.And its going to continue for years.Look at the coaching.Carroll,Ted,Bellotti,Erickson,Ty.....this division looks like it will be able to dominate for years.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the Pac-10 looks good this year, would have looked even better if UCLA knew how to play football.

oh and SC pissed me off last night, they better wake the **** up.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Booty overthrew the ball alot.It was probably just a bad night for him.

elway777
09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, without the penalties it would've been around 31-14 ball game.

soybean
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Was mike stoops coaching yesterday? tuitama 356 yards and 5 touchdowns, no INTs against a pretty good Wazzu team.

UCLA beating Cal would be the worst thing that could happen to the pac-10.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Was mike stoops coaching yesterday? tuitama 356 yards and 5 touchdowns, no INTs against a pretty good Wazzu team.

UCLA beating Cal would be the worst thing that could happen to the pac-10.hahaahahahah.thats not gonna happen.
On a side note Cal's offense is gona suffer a fair amount next year.Our run offense will be good.We'll be losing Jordan,Hawkins,Stevens,Forsett,Gibson,and De La Puente.We could and probably will lose Jackson to.
And we'll also be losing Sean Young and Sam Desa.(WRs)
Someone's gonna have to step up next year at WR.We'll still have Morrah though which is good.

soybean
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
If you havent' been to the UCLA boards and seen their hilarious anti-cal thread i suggest you check it out. One of the funniest threads ever.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1738&t=1243214&p=1#s=12&f=1738&t=1243214&p=1

Turtlepower
10-18-2007, 09:47 PM
If you havent' been to the UCLA boards and seen their hilarious anti-cal thread i suggest you check it out. One of the funniest threads ever.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1738&t=1243214&p=1#s=12&f=1738&t=1243214&p=1

Those were hilarious. Here are my favorites:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/1612600994_046ee38456_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/1618229783_81b0019a64_o.jpg

soybean
10-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Those were hilarious. Here are my favorites:

lol yeah. I love the one the guy made in response to the cal fan saying they probably won more in the before the 1920s.

Turtlepower
10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Something funny someone noticed on the ASU forums...

Chris Fowler writes an article where he includes his AP top 10 he submitted this week.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=fowler_chris&id=3069139

The funny thing, is that he actually submitted a different AP poll.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/FOWLER.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME

PAC-10 Bias or slight mistake by a highly-paid journalist?

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I found this one funnier.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/devildiverdown/PAC10coaches.jpg
at this point I the Pac Ten being a three way race between ASU,Cal and Oregon.

soybean
11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Chris Peterson is rumored to be the next coach of UCLA.