PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft Targets...

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 09:27 AM
We don't really have a thread to talk about prospects and the areas of need for the team. Our defense is playing pretty good right, but I think they are playing above their heads ala Kalimba and the secondary.

My top areas of concern for this team

Top tier
MLB
DE
CB

Middle Tier
RT
SLB - Bailey is a free agent, true fit at position would be nice.

Bottom tier
TE
OG

My first round targets
Dan Connor , MLB - Penn State
James Laurainitis, MLB - Ohio State
Calais Campbell, DE - Miami
Chris Long, DE - Virginia
Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
Terrell Thomas, CB - USC
Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona
Malcom Jenkins, CB - Ohio State
Jake Long, OT - Michigan

I think if we end up picking in the 3-5 area we have to strongly consider taking Jake Long. The run blocking on this team is below average. Long could step right in at RT and improve the line. Eventually I think he could take over Backus's position down the line. Hell maybe right away. Still I would want to be careful and avoid a Gallery situation although I think other factors were involved with that debacle.

Everyone has been screaming DE DE DE DE DE the first couple of months, but honestly I think if we are in that 10-17 area James Laurainitis and Dan Connor have to be top targets. Immediately upgrade the defense with either players. I think both would start over Lenon even with the hard on that Marinelli and Millen have for him. Pass rushers can be found other places than the first round a la Elvis Dumervil and Mark Anderson. Edwards and White are signed to big contracts and playing decently and IAF is a raw prospect who should get more playing time. Their is nobody waiting in the wings at MLB. Their is no future.

My first round big board
Jake Long
Calais Campbell
Dan Connor
James Laurainitis
Terrell Thomas

TacticaLion
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Your argument against taking a DE in the 1st was great, and it actually made me re-think my targets... but you still listed Campbell second to Jake Long? I know your said 10-17 range for a MLB, but why not grab a pure pass rushing DE in rounds 2-5 and fill MLB/OL/CB with a playmaker with our first pick?

That mindset will change if there are only a few true pass rushing DEs in the draft, but, if we can grab one in a later round, and rotate him in with White, Edwards and IAF, that would be perfect. I also think it depends on the development of IAF. If he makes strides and they think he'll be the player they drafted him to be, DE might drop as an area of focus.

MLB is a must. We NEED a stud at the position. IMO, it's what separates a "good" Cover 2 from a "great" Cover 2. I think our safety position (when healthy) is getting close, but grabbing another player in rounds 3-4 would be a good idea.

And, I'd like a true SLB. I think Lewis can fill the role, but he hasn't been given a chance to start and prove himself. Drafting a player for the spot and letting him compete with Lewis would be a good idea.

Just a few thoughts. If there are a few pure pass rushing DEs later in the draft, this is my first round draft order:

OL
MLB
CB

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Your argument against taking a DE in the 1st was great, and it actually made me re-think my targets... but you still listed Campbell second to Jake Long? I know your said 10-17 range for a MLB, but why not grab a pure pass rushing DE in rounds 2-5 and fill MLB/OL/CB with a playmaker with our first pick?

That mindset will change if there are only a few true pass rushing DEs in the draft, but, if we can grab one in a later round, and rotate him in with White, Edwards and IAF, that would be perfect. I also think it depends on the development of IAF. If he makes strides and they think he'll be the player they drafted him to be, DE might drop as an area of focus.

MLB is a must. We NEED a stud at the position. IMO, it's what separates a "good" Cover 2 from a "great" Cover 2. I think our safety position (when healthy) is getting close, but grabbing another player in rounds 3-4 would be a good idea.

And, I'd like a true SLB. I think Lewis can fill the role, but he hasn't been given a chance to start and prove himself. Drafting a player for the spot and letting him compete with Lewis would be a good idea.

Just a few thoughts. If there are a few pure pass rushing DEs later in the draft, this is my first round draft order:

OL
MLB
CB

Yeah I contradicted myself with my big board. Campbell intrigues me and I wasn't sure when I posted it. I think I should move those MLB in front of him.
I agree that we need a stud at MLB to take our defense to the next level. I think I read somewhere that WLB and SLB are interchangeable in teh cover 2 but I may be wrong. If they are I think Keith Rivers would be an excellant pick up if we are in the latter part of round 1. The only O-line I'm taking in round 1 would be Jake Long though.

Xiomera
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Give me a Cornerback, or give me death!

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Do not put you life in Millen's hands!

Xiomera
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Do not put you life in Millen's hands!

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Don't eat a ketchup flavored lollipop in white gloves!

TacticaLion
09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Don't eat a ketchup flavored lollipop in white gloves!Ha... funnyness.

I'm STILL not big on taking a CB in round 1. For as long as Marinelli is here, the Cover 2 will be as well (and, the way Millen gets a long with Marinelli, he might be here for a while). The Cover 2 doesn't need incredible CBs... just "good enough" (see - Colts). We can probably grab someone in FA and draft a system CB in rounds 2-3 to fill that hole.

IMO, a stud MLB in round 1 would improve our defense much more than a Cover 2 CB in round 1.

Green Bay Scat
09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Ha... funnyness.

I'm STILL not big on taking a CB in round 1. For as long as Marinelli is here, the Cover 2 will be as well (and, the way Millen gets a long with Marinelli, he might be here for a while). The Cover 2 doesn't need incredible CBs... just "good enough" (see - Colts). We can probably grab someone in FA and draft a system CB in rounds 2-3 to fill that hole.

IMO, a stud MLB in round 1 would improve our defense much more than a Cover 2 CB in round 1.

i like Goff going to detroit, be it round 1(if ur good) or 2(if ur bad) he lost weight this off season, and he seems more agile, he can cover well and i think he could be a poor mans Urlacher.

LionSmack
09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm tellin you guys, don't sleep on DT. I think if there was one that really caught their eye, they would consider it. Rogers might not be a full-time player anymore and if the Lions end up this season being greatly improved, with Bailey or Lehman or both being healthy and productive, and the secondary benefiting from good DL play, their defensive needs might not seem the same as we think right now. It will be interesting to see what level this defense can reach this season. There may be players who become main pieces that we didn't expect.

Also, let's say Bailey continues to have his weaknesses, but Lenon/Lehman seem OK at MLB, or even Buster Davis comes along next off-season. OLB could be the priority then. They could go for a true strongside type, or more likely for another weakside type since it seems they like both OLBs to be fast and athletic types.

I think the one position we won't draft though, at least not in rounds 1 or 2, is safety.

detroitsports
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm tellin you guys, don't sleep on DT. I think if there was one that really caught their eye, they would consider it. Rogers might not be a full-time player anymore and if the Lions end up this season being greatly improved, with Bailey or Lehman or both being healthy and productive, and the secondary benefiting from good DL play, their defensive needs might not seem the same as we think right now. It will be interesting to see what level this defense can reach this season. There may be players who become main pieces that we didn't expect.

Also, let's say Bailey continues to have his weaknesses, but Lenon/Lehman seem OK at MLB, or even Buster Davis comes along next off-season. OLB could be the priority then. They could go for a true strongside type, or more likely for another weakside type since it seems they like both OLBs to be fast and athletic types.

I think the one position we won't draft though, at least not in rounds 1 or 2, is safety.

The best bet for a postion we won't draft has to be WR... but we've said that for the past 5 years I think.

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Also note that Bailey and Lehman are both free agents at the end of the year.

I think we already have that 3rd DT on the roster. Shaun Cody has looked pretty good this year.

LionSmack
09-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Also note that Bailey and Lehman are both free agents at the end of the year.

I think we already have that 3rd DT on the roster. Shaun Cody has looked pretty good this year.

I think that now, too. But by the end of the year, things could be a little different, and Rogers' knee makes DT, not a huge possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

As for Bailey and Lehman, unless one of them makes the Pro Bowl, the Lions will have their chance to keep them on at a reasonable price. They may also choose to keep one, or neither. So I think OLB has to also be an option.

P-L
09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I cannot see DT at all. Rogers and Redding are arguably the best tandem in the league (probably second to Minny's). We have a capable backup in Shaun Cody, and while we are using Ikaika Alma-Francis as a DE, he is capable of playing DT in the Cover-2 (imo). This team has a few gaping holes left to fill, and taking a DT would not help that. I just can't imagine taking a NT when we desperately need a MLB and CB and, to a lesser extent, RB, DE, and OT.

LionSmack
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
But you're forgetting the Marinelli drafting pattern. He puts huge stock in players' character, even at the expense of both position needs and combine measurables. Also I think we've seen that DT play even more than DE is the cornerstone of what Marinelli and Barry want to do with the defense.

I think the Lions certainly will draft a CB and at least one LB in the next draft. But that first round pick, I think they could use it on almost anything, but I can say one thing, they'll use it on who they think is the best football player.

Your point is well taken about IAF, he could make a Redding-like move to DT and be good. But I still believe that in the first round, if the Lions were convinced that a DT was the best player, with the best character, they would take him.

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
But you're forgetting the Marinelli drafting pattern. He puts huge stock in players' character, even at the expense of both position needs and combine measurables. Also I think we've seen that DT play even more than DE is the cornerstone of what Marinelli and Barry want to do with the defense.

I think the Lions certainly will draft a CB and at least one LB in the next draft. But that first round pick, I think they could use it on almost anything, but I can say one thing, they'll use it on who they think is the best football player.

Your point is well taken about IAF, he could make a Redding-like move to DT and be good. But I still believe that in the first round, if the Lions were convinced that a DT was the best player, with the best character, they would take him.

I wouldn't mind Glenn Dorsey, but I don't know.

detroit4life
09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
i think lions are going to take a CB. They've been looking to take a cb for the past few years in round one and are always in the wrong spot to do so. They missed out on Rolle Pacman and Rogers a few years ago and then they were way to high last year to take one. But many sources said this year that if they did trade down it would have been for leon hall.

Also i see Lehman taking over MLB by the end of this year and i am going to hold off on my judgement of our MLB position until i see if he is able to be productive

P-L
09-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't think we'll draft Boss Bailey's replacement early either. Teams generally don't draft SLB very high, especially in the 1st Round. A two down LB isn't a priority to waste a high draft pick on.

TacticaLion
09-21-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't think we'll draft Boss Bailey's replacement early either. Teams generally don't draft SLB very high, especially in the 1st Round. A two down LB isn't a priority to waste a high draft pick on.

Word for word.

WMD
09-22-2007, 05:39 AM
I'd like for us to take a look at Tommy Blake, Aqib Talib, or Terrell Thomas if we're picking somewhere in the late teens/early twenties..

detknowitall
09-22-2007, 08:16 AM

I figure our top 3 needs are

1.CB
2.CB
3.CB

then if they are avaialable we could always grab

4.CB
5.CB
6.OL- You have to take one at some time....

JoeMontainya
09-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I cannot see DT at all. Rogers and Redding are arguably the best tandem in the league (probably second to Minny's). We have a capable backup in Shaun Cody, and while we are using Ikaika Alma-Francis as a DE, he is capable of playing DT in the Cover-2 (imo). This team has a few gaping holes left to fill, and taking a DT would not help that. I just can't imagine taking a NT when we desperately need a MLB and CB and, to a lesser extent, RB, DE, and OT.

Im pretty sure the Jags still have the best tandem.

Addict
09-22-2007, 11:50 AM
definately either a LB, CB or DE... I guess it'd depend who's there and more importantly where we're at...

We have the most chance @ a CB though, since they're function resembles WR the most.

P-L
09-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Im pretty sure the Jags still have the best tandem.

I completely forgot about them. Yes, I agree that the Jags are #1 and Minny and Detroit are #2/#3.

Bootland27
09-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I figure our top 3 needs are

1.CB
2.CB
3.CB

then if they are avaialable we could always grab

4.CB
5.CB
6.OL- You have to take one at some time....

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty D
09-23-2007, 03:32 PM
4 CBs and a new O Line

Addict
09-23-2007, 03:34 PM
4 CBs and a new O Line

our target list

LT
LG
C
RG
RT
CB
CB
MLB
DE
DE

basically we need to draft a team

TacticaLion
09-23-2007, 06:48 PM
our target list

LT
LG
C
RG
RT
CB
CB
MLB
DE
DE

basically we need to draft a team
We should madden-it... trade for 11 1st round picks and draft a full OLine and complete secondary.

Bootland27
09-23-2007, 06:50 PM
We should madden-it... trade for 11 1st round picks and draft a full OLine and complete secondary.

and while you're at it, don't forget the LBs

TacticaLion
09-23-2007, 06:54 PM
and while you're at it, don't forget the LBs
Lets move Kenoy Kennedy to LB. Hell, it can't be any worse than what we have, can it?