PDA

View Full Version : Manny Lawson out for season

Splat
09-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Niners LB Manny Lawson out for season with torn knee ligament (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-lawson&prov=ap&type=lgns)

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Linebacker Manny Lawson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7771/;_ylt=AuOiRLlwA6Z0.vSDUVb5js8dsLYF) will miss the rest of the San Francisco 49ers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sfo/;_ylt=AqpXyfqguvOm47zHuNmFQuYdsLYF)' season after tearing a ligament in his left knee.

Lawson, a starting outside linebacker in the 49ers' 3-4 defensive scheme, went down with the injury during Wednesday's practice. The injury didn't initially appear to be serious, and Lawson rode on a stationary bike for the rest of the team's workout.

But tests determined Thursday that Lawson tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

diabsoule
09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
That's a huge blow to SF's defense.

Smooth Criminal
09-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Thats a shame. I liked Lawson alot coming out of college, I actually was hoping the Steelers would find a way to draft him. He looked very good in the first two games this year and has shown huge improvements over last season. Hopefully he'll be able to recover from this and come back next year fully healthy.

portermvp84
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
That really sucks I wanted to see if he could build off of his rookie season.

Don Vito
09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Thats not good, he's one of my favorite players in the NFC just based off of talent. I hope he recovers quickly.

princefielder28
09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
A force on that defense that teams no longer have to gameplan for

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
unfortunate no doubt. Brandon Moore can stil play outside 'backer, so that should minimize the loss. Hurts his development thats the main loss.

Freddy G
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Damn, i was pumping Manny big time when he was coming out. His potential is limitless and he has good head on his shoulders. I actually would have preffered the Browns to take Manny over Wimbley...glad i was wrong (so far anyway, Manny has more potential with a bum knee then most NFL prospects can dream about, i think he can still be a force).

buckeyes12
09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
only a 77 overall, but is FUN to play with in madden. 90 speed for a linebacker.

09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
kinda sad cuz i really liked him comin out of NC state with mario williams and mccargo but to this point i believe hes been a bit of a disappointment mostly due to the fact hes a tweener and is out of position. if the 49ers played a 4-3 defense he could have been used similarily to elvis dumervil of the broncos the past couple of years.

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
wow that sucks, i liked him playing with willis...i was really high on him out of college and wanted Dallas to take him over carpenter badly...even more so now that we dont have a place for carpenter and lawson was the better pass rusher and more athletic

PACKmanN
09-20-2007, 03:20 PM
kinda sad cuz i really liked him comin out of NC state with mario williams and mccargo but to this point i believe hes been a bit of a disappointment mostly due to the fact hes a tweener and is out of position. if the 49ers played a 4-3 defense he could have been used similarily to elvis dumervil of the broncos the past couple of years.

I feel like he been used wrong, they are trying to use him like Shawn Merriman when they should really use him like Demarcus Ware a passer rusher only. They also need him to add some more muscle, he way to fast for a LBer so it wont hurt.

Addict
09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I feel like he been used wrong, they are trying to use him like Shawn Merriman when they should really use him like Demarcus Ware a passer rusher only. They also need him to add some more muscle, he way to fast for a LBer so it wont hurt.

He's not strong enough yet to be a Merriman type, they should just use him either in coverage or as a passrusher, he's just not very good in run-support

VoteLynnSwan
09-20-2007, 03:26 PM

you can never be too fast for any position in football.

binary
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
He's not strong enough yet to be a Merriman type, they should just use him either in coverage or as a passrusher, he's just not very good in run-support

Wrong. His run-support has actually become a strength of his. His improvements this year have been HUGE. He's definitely stronger and more explosive off the snap. They usually did't use him as a pass rusher though, as that role is mostly Banta-Cain, and Manny is the only LB on the team who can cover anybody. This really really really blows, he was going to have a big, big year. He was already way farther along than Julian Peterson was at this point.

M.O.T.H.
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
wow that sucks, i liked him playing with willis...i was really high on him out of college and wanted Dallas to take him over carpenter badly...even more so now that we dont have a place for carpenter and lawson was the better pass rusher and more athletic

I really wanted Manny in that draft. I was really disappointed when I saw this today.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I really wanted Manny in that draft. I was really disappointed when I saw this today.

Same, I love Manny. Shame.

Beans
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
huge blow for the niners

this ***** up my super bowl prediction

fenikz
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
huge blow for the niners

this ***** up my super bowl prediction

you predicted the 49ers in the superbowl?

Yung Flippa
09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Ouch. DEFENTILTY hurts the 9'ers Defense

ncst8fan83
09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
actually manny put on around 15lbs of muscle this offseason. he's a beast, no doubt. runs like a gazelle. and anyone thinking he could have been a DE in a 43 is out of their freaking minds. he's 250lbs soaking wet. I think he'd be perfect for a bandit position. like a lighter adalius thomas maybe? this definitely sucks, but i'm sure manny will come back stronger next season.

Bobo
09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Too bad. Now is my boy Parys going to get some more reps? How has he looked? (if there's much to go by)

and anyone thinking he could have been a DE in a 43 is out of their freaking minds. he's 250lbs soaking wet.

Jevon Kearse played a lot of his career around that weight. He had probelsm keeping weight on, but was still decent against the run, and played a lot of snaps.

sup3rk1ng
09-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Wrong. His run-support has actually become a strength of his. His improvements this year have been HUGE. He's definitely stronger and more explosive off the snap. They usually did't use him as a pass rusher though, as that role is mostly Banta-Cain, and Manny is the only LB on the team who can cover anybody. This really really really blows, he was going to have a big, big year. He was already way farther along than Julian Peterson was at this point.

Correct, he put on 10-15 pounds this offseason so it really helped him in that aspect of his game. He stuffed jackson and edge on a couple plays and did a very good job rushing the passer when his number was called. His coverage has always been phenomenal, it was his pass rushing skills that niner fans were worried about, but this year it definitely looked improved. What makes this injury even worse is that he looked like he was on brink of a semi-breakout year. 7-8 sacks + 3-4 ints didn't seem all that ridiculous for him. The only silver lining, I guess, is that he should be able to spend more time getting the defensive scheme down while rehabbing. Manusky said it would take 2 years to get scheme down when he came in, so this should give him more time to focus on that aspect.

sup3rk1ng
09-21-2007, 02:12 AM
Too bad. Now is my boy Parys going to get some more reps? How has he looked? (if there's much to go by)

Jevon Kearse played a lot of his career around that weight. He had probelsm keeping weight on, but was still decent against the run, and played a lot of snaps.

Parys looked good in training camp and preseason. The coaching staff really seems to like him alot, but I'm more than sure he'll rotate with brandon moore, who i suspect will get the majority of the reps. I still think he might be a year away, but he does look like he'll be a good passrusher.

Bobo
09-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Parys looked good in training camp and preseason. The coaching staff really seems to like him alot, but I'm more than sure he'll rotate with brandon moore, who i suspect will get the majority of the reps. I still think he might be a year away, but he does look like he'll be a good passrusher.

Rock! He was a very high motor guy at UT. Maybe not the most gifted physically, but he worked to get it done. Gotta like a guy like that.

HoopsDemon12
09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
DAM! I loved this kid coming out of college... this hurts his and that defences develoment for sure.. hope he recovers fast

no love
09-22-2007, 12:00 AM
It's a damn shame that we lost Lawson for the year. But he was not a really prototypical 3-4 OLB to begin with. He never showed that he was an effective pass rusher. Though his atheleticism let us do ALOT of things on d.

I am really excited to see what Parys can do. He should be able to bring the pressure like manny couldn' (crosses fingers).

Nitschke-Hawk
09-22-2007, 11:29 AM
He was playing really well this year too. One of my favorite players from the 06 class. I think he'll come back and wreak havoc. He will be the type of outside linebacker every 3-4 defense needs to be successful.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2007, 04:14 PM
It's a damn shame that we lost Lawson for the year. But he was not a really prototypical 3-4 OLB to begin with.

he wasnt? what was he then? he was a DE in college that was too small to play it in the NFL, he was a better 3-4 OLB then carpenter i know that, and thats what he drafted bobby for

HoopsDemon12
09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
he wasnt? what was he then? he was a DE in college that was too small to play it in the NFL, he was a better 3-4 OLB then carpenter i know that, and thats what he drafted bobby for

ya i agree... thats he is pretty good at rushing the passer.. i mean he was his D-Line MVP and he played with McCargo, Williams and Tyler... thats a good line if you ask me