PDA

View Full Version : Where does Jonathan Stewart rank?

big daddy russ
09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I was impressed when I watched him and was surprised that he isn't considered a high draft pick. But that's why I don't get paid to evaluate talent.

Where does everyone rate him and why is that that high/low?

ccB
09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I think it mostly has to do with him being an underclassman. I personally rank him right under McFadden and think he will be a mid to late 1st round pick.

Man_Of_Steel
09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Personally I love him, I think hes a top 15 pick barring injury or an insanley slow 40 time. Others for some reason dont value him a greatly and project him as a late first-early second.

Don Vito
09-20-2007, 08:01 PM
He is a junior but if he comes out I put him right behind McFadden as a top 10 guy (assuming D-Mac does come out). He and Slaton are both top 15 guys to me, but it depends on what a team is looking for. Stewart has all the tools-size, strength, speed- but he never really produced until this season. Slaton is pretty small but he has blazing speed with great vision and production.

benchod
09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
He's been plagued by nagging injuries and hasn't quite performed to what his potential indicates. That's keeping him down, but a successful year is all he needs to vault himself into the top 15 since he's possibly the most physically gifted RB in this draft, if he chooses to enter.

SenorGato
09-20-2007, 10:38 PM
IMO he's the best pure RB in this draft. I really, really like McFadden, I love Stewart as an NFL prospect. He's Peterson-lite with his skillset.

elway777
09-21-2007, 12:12 AM
He's faster then Peterson. Playing in a spread O doesnt help his stats either.

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Honestly, I've waited for him to step up and he hasn't so far. After the combines he will jump up draft boards, but I see a high risk, high reward with him. He has great athletic attributes, but hasn't used them as well as he should.

NittanyLion2k7
09-21-2007, 12:36 AM
He's faster then Peterson. Playing in a spread O doesnt help his stats either.

I'm not so sure about that... he's fast but I don't know if he's 4.3 fast.

fenikz
09-21-2007, 01:57 AM
I have Stewart as the #2 RB if he declares this year, he doesn't get alot of coverage like Hart, Slaton, or Rice but he is just as good if not better than them

for people that haven't seen him before check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSKFOfc04Q

TitanHope
09-21-2007, 02:26 AM
There's no way Stewart is faster than Peterson. Actually, in the Oregon vs Michigan game, Stewart looked pretty slow against a bad Michigan defense. It was probably just me though. I think that McFadden declares, and he's the consensus #1 barring injury or some epic setback. And then after that, its depends on who declares. I think Stewart is better than the senior RB's, but he'll have a contest with Slaton. But, I'm thinking Slaton may stay for his senior season and I like Stewart more than Slaton anyway. Slaton is faster, but Stewart is a more powerful runner.

I have him at #2, and will probably go in the 1st round. He has everything a team would look for in a RB, except great production in college and an injury history.

Shiver
09-21-2007, 03:20 AM
I like Stewart quite a bit. He's a much better NFL prospect than Slaton or Rice. He's not as good as Darren McFadden, but few are.

duckseason
09-21-2007, 05:51 AM
I think the biggest knock on Stewart is that he doesn't always give 100% on every play. He's even admitted in interviews that sometimes he needs that extra motivation of a big game. Physically, he's pretty much the prototype NFL back. Great size/speed combo packed into an ideal frame. He's incredibly strong and not afraid of contact. I actually wish he'd avoid it more often and put some of those sick moves to use. I just wish he had that fire burning in his belly like an AD or a MB3. He'd be unstoppable with the right mindset. I don't think anybody is underrating him around here. It's been common knowledge for quite awhile that he's a top prospect and will likely be selected in the upper half of the first round when he enters the draft. The guy he shares the backfield with is the one who deserves far more attention than he's received. Jeremiah Johnson is a stud. His stiff arm is lethal and his quickness and agility are matched by few. If Stewart leaves, expect to see a huge year from Johnson. Though he'll likely split carries with Andre Crenshaw in that scenario. I see his name being called well before the end of round two in '09. He's a better prospect than a lot of the 2nd round RB's over the past few years including former Duck Maurice Morris, imo.

Sniper
09-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm not so sure about that... he's fast but I don't know if he's 4.3 fast.

I could have sworn he was timed in the high 4.3's. Maybe I'm wrong.

smittyjs
09-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Injuries has been a huge knock on him, and it really took him some time to get use to a spread system, which isn't his best fit IMO.

keylime_5
09-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I think he should go around where Marshawn Lynch was evaluated to go...middle of the first round to the early 20s, somewhere in there. It really depends on who needs a RB and where those teams pick though more than anything else. Buffalo kinda reached for Marshawn, but Green Bay wanted him at 16 so 12 wasn't too high for him if you look at those facts. I think a team around picks 9 or 10 could reach for Stewart for need, but he SHOULD go around picks 12-22. If he stays healthy he'll be a good pro.

Geo
09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I went into this year looking to see Stewart prove his first-round measurables as a player, and he's doing that. I've been very impressed with him and the way he's playing thus far.

He's averaging over 7.45 yards per carry at the current moment, thanks to 343 yards on only 46 rushes in three games. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2007&org=529&player=28)

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Something interesting about Stewart...

Posted a power clean lift of 402 lbs. during the winter of 2007 that was bettered only by NFL lineman Haloti Ngata (407 lbs.) among all-time Oregon football players.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3378&SPID=233&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=177405&Q_SEASON=2007

Paranoidmoonduck
09-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Although there have been reports of Stewart running 40 times in the 4.3 range, I question their legitimacy. I think the kid has 4.45 speed at best, and I haven't seen a single play of his in college which ever made me doubt that. That said, he's just about what most general managers would picture their pro feature back being.

My concern is basically what Duckseason said, which is that Stewart has yet to show consistent effort over the course of a single game, and that raises alarm flags. He's a better physical prospect than, say, Marshawn Lynch was, but no one questioned Lynch's drive. Right now Stewart reminds me of LaMont Jordan, and until that changes I'd be pretty wary of spending a 1st rounder on the guy.

keylime_5
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
He has all the numbers you'd want to see at his workout, but his vision and football skills aren't yet what say Adrian Peterson's or Darren McFadden's are. He is a great college RB, but he's not a totally dominating RB like those 2 yet, a guy who you'll win the game with if he gets 25 carries. Potential is there though....but I don't think he'll ever have the vision or burst through holes like AD or LT.

draftguru151
09-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Against Michigan his burst was amazing. He's definitely showed the talent on the field that his measurables indicate, he just needs to do it consistently.

duckseason
09-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I don't think Stewart will run a sub 4.4 at the combine. I think he'll be right there in the low 4.4s though. He really is very quick and reaches top speed much faster than most guys his size. Initial burst is a big factor with 40 times. From where I sit, he's faster than Lynch and right there with guys like Peterson and Henry. I'd be very surprised if he ran anything above a 4.45. I don't think a Lamont Jordan comparison is accurate unless it was just to illustrate his lack of drive. As a RB and an athlete, Stewart is a level above Jordan in pretty much every regard. You look around the league at all the RB's who were selected late 1st or in the 2nd round, and I don't see Stewart lasting much further than #15, depending on who's picking in that mid-range. I could see a team like the Jets wanting to add a prototype RB to that young line. And what better fit than to reunite him with Clemens.

Travis 24
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't think Stewart is that fast...He's a beast, but he's no AP.

BuddyCHRIST
09-21-2007, 10:23 PM
he's good and has physical tools but I think his pure speed is being a little overrated. I don't think he's a sub 4.4 guy at all. And to call him better than AP is ridiculous, he doesn't run with near the nastiness. Stewart could be great but I'd like to see him be more consistent and play with more attitude. He's no where near McFadden, but who is.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I think Stewart has better acceleration/burst than speed. That said, if he's a 4.4 guy, as many suspect, that's more than fast enough as a 230 pound RB. To be honest, he reminds me a bit of Deuce McAllister coming out ... if he came out, I'd guess he's anywhere from a mid-late first rounder, although it depends on team needs.

09-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I think he should go around where Marshawn Lynch was evaluated to go...middle of the first round to the early 20s, somewhere in there. It really depends on who needs a RB and where those teams pick though more than anything else. Buffalo kinda reached for Marshawn, but Green Bay wanted him at 16 so 12 wasn't too high for him if you look at those facts. I think a team around picks 9 or 10 could reach for Stewart for need, but he SHOULD go around picks 12-22. If he stays healthy he'll be a good pro.

i agree he should go around the same time marshawn lynch was drafted last year as they compare favorably but it also depends on the team needs at that point in the draft

NittanyLion2k7
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Alot of people have been on his wagon, including myself. He's most definitely a sleeper, and easily Top 5 going into the season. At this point I like him in the Top 5, tied with Slaton and Rice in the bottom half of that 5...

Geo
09-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Toonster's mention of Duece McAllister is interesting, McAllister did cross my mind and is a good comparison ... although I can't shake the feeling that there's a better prospect comparison, I'm still giving it some thought.

Stewart showed off some pretty good speed on his recent 88-yard TD run against Fresno State, he immediately bolted for daylight. Youtube vid link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS6C0HKrMc)

NittanyLion2k7
09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
He reminds me more so of a faster Rudi Johnson... maybe a primetime Jamal Lewis.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2007, 01:16 AM
He's reminds me of laurence maroney with an upgrade coming out, very powerful runner, quick, and will most likely be a mid rd first week