PDA

View Full Version : Overall BPA!!!

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 01:10 PM
So, by some miracle you're the team with no immediate needs ... and you happen to have the #1 overall pick

Yes, i know this is early ...

Who do you pick? Why?

I guess i'll get the ball rolling ... i'd take Darren McFadden
He's got great size, speed and vision. He may be the closest thing to LT that we'll see in a long time. IMO he's the Best Player Available and any team would be blessed to have a RB of his caliber in their backfield.

Man_Of_Steel
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Id take Glenn Dorsey, not too far behind would be Brohm.

Don Vito
09-21-2007, 01:28 PM
To me it would be D-Mac, Dorsey, Long, Brohm, Woodson, then Sed Ellis

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Id take Glenn Dorsey, not too far behind would be Brohm.

Wow, Glenn Dorsey? ... Super Mario was taken first in 06 but prior to that it was Chad Brown ... both of them DEs

You have to go all the way back to 94 to find the last DT that was drafted #1.

Why would you take Glenn Dorsey #1? I'm not sure what team you root for but is there a hint of homerism there?

Dawg4L21
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
McFadden...best overall player plus alot of teams like having 2 good RB's and can find time for both, same cannot be said about a QB or some other positions

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Interesting ... i guess more people are starting to give credit to the "beef"

The big guys up front are finally getting the credit they deserve?

Don Vito
09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Wow, Glenn Dorsey? ... Super Mario was taken first in 06 but prior to that it was Chad Brown ... both of them DEs

You have to go all the way back to 94 to find the last DT that was drafted #1.

Why would you take Glenn Dorsey #1? I'm not sure what team you root for but is there a hint of homerism there?

BPA doesn't mean #1 pick, it means he is the best player. Like Calvin Johnson was probably the BPA last season but he didn't go #1.

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
BPA doesn't mean #1 pick, it means he is the best player. Like Calvin Johnson was probably the BPA last season but he didn't go #1.

Understood but i'm just pointing out that its difficult to find a DT that happens to be the BPA ... lots of "sexy" positions out there

duckseason
09-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Interesting ... i guess more people are starting to give credit to the "beef"

The big guys up front are finally getting the credit they deserve?

Not sure why that's surprising or new to you. Most fans have been aware of the importance of the trench players for quite awhile. A stellar offensive line is far more valuable and difficult to acquire than a stud RB. Great o-lines make average RB's and QB's look great. Flip that around and a great RB or QB will look quite mediocre or even bad if the guys up front are struggling. Same thing on defense. No CB can cover a guy for more than a handful of seconds. And most LB's will struggle to make a play when being attacked by guards.

duckseason
09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Understood but i'm just pointing out that its difficult to find a DT that happens to be the BPA ... lots of "sexy" positions out there

Well, it's kinda ridiculous to even attempt a comparison between a DT and a RB. How do you determine which player is better? Personally, if you give me the choice between Tommie Harris and Steven Jackson, I won't even hesitate to select Harris. He holds far more value, imo.

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 01:51 PM
BPA is Tom Zbikowski. No doubt.

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, it's kinda ridiculous to even attempt a comparison between a DT and a RB. How do you determine which player is better? Personally, if you give me the choice between Tommie Harris and Steven Jackson, I won't even hesitate to select Harris. He holds far more value, imo.

True ... i guess its a preference

Cant really compare the positions and it would probably come down to what the team wants to build towards ... a high powered O or a domninat D. Excellent take on the importance of the guys in the trenches too. I agree 100%.

Vikes99ej
09-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd say Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey.

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Honest rankings:

1a. Sam Baker
1b. Jake Long

keylime_5
09-21-2007, 02:19 PM
1-McFadden
2-Long
3-Brohm
4-Dorsey
5-Phillips
6-Woodson
7-Baker
8-Campbell
9-D.Jackson
10-C.Long

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Based off the scenario you've outlined, I'd go with Dorsey. You can find RB's. I'm not heads over heels for any QB this year, and there's no CB/LT that stands out moreso than Dorsey.

Now, BPA would probably be McFadden. Campbell, depending on how his season finishes, could warrant consideration as well.

pete_norm
09-21-2007, 02:48 PM
BPA is Tom Zbikowski. No doubt.

BPA if you play Scrabble...

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 02:55 PM
BPA if you play Scrabble...

LOL!

Message length requirement

themaninblack
09-21-2007, 02:56 PM
i would also take dorsey but calais campbell would be tempting.

Sniper
09-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Call me a homer, but Jake Long is my guy. The guy just dominates.

1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
3. Sam Baker, OT, USC
4. Glenn Dorsey, LSU
5. Calais Campbell, Miami

derza222
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
For those that have said Dorsey...is this regardless of scheme, assuming the team with the first pick runs a 4-3??

Chris30277
09-21-2007, 03:08 PM
1. Glenn Dorsey
2. Darren McFadden
3. Jake Long
4. Brian Brohm (although he is a very close 3 imo)

09-21-2007, 03:08 PM
regardless of position i would take Glenn Dorsey because he is the BPA!

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
For those that have said Dorsey...is this regardless of scheme, assuming the team with the first pick runs a 4-3??

ah fair question. If the team's running a 3-4, then no, I don't pick Dorsey. In that case, I go with McFadden or Campbell.

benjamink15
09-21-2007, 03:15 PM

I think he's a 4-3 DT but wishful thinking says he can put on a few pounds and still be as effective as a nose guard in the 3-4. Or worse case, a 3-4 DE. He plays low to the ground and has great power. Going off the reputation he has on this board, i'd guess people would be willing to plug him in any scheme.

derza222
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
ah fair question. If the team's running a 3-4, then no, I don't pick Dorsey. In that case, I go with McFadden or Campbell.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the clarification toonster.

Michigan
09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
So, by some miracle you're the team with no immediate needs ... and you happen to have the #1 overall pick

Yes, i know this is early ...

Who do you pick? Why?

If I were a team with no immediate needs, I'd take all the o-line/d-line depth i could get and then some playmakers. My big board would be:

1. Jake Long
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. Sam Baker
4. Calais Campbell
5. Michael Oher
6. Chris Long
7. Godser Cherilus
8. Sedrick Ellis
9. Darren McFadden
10. DeSean Jackson

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I think he's a 4-3 DT but wishful thinking says he can put on a few pounds and still be as effective as a nose guard in the 3-4. Or worse case, a 3-4 DE. He plays low to the ground and has great power. Going off the reputation he has on this board, i'd guess people would be willing to plug him in any scheme.

I don't see him in the 3-4 at all. Can he be livable? Perhaps ... but not first overall livable. For NT, he explodes more than he leverages the spot, and he'd need to put on a good 30-40 pounds anyways, and no one thinks he can do that. A bit better as a 3-4 DE than NT, but I don't think his arms are long enough and he'll get neutralized by top DE's.

His skill is to rush the passer from the inside. If a team doesn't need him for that ... then he's not a top of the board guy in all honesty.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
If I were a team with no immediate needs, I'd take all the o-line/interior d-line depth i could get and then some playmakers. My big board would be:

1. Jake Long
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. Sam Baker
4. Sedrick Ellis
5. Michael Oher
6. Godser Cherilus
7. Darren McFadden
8. DeSean Jackson

If Ryan Clady comes out, I think he might top the Ol list.

fenikz
09-21-2007, 03:36 PM
1. Long
2. Dorsey
3. McFadden
4. Brohmn
5. Phillips

Travis 24
09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
1. Glen Dorsey

foozball
09-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd look at position value and rarity. The crop is high in QB's and OT's, and you could probably pick one up in the 2nd round that would be quite good if you have the overall #1 pick in both the 1st and 2nd round. DT is also pretty good this year, and you could get a guy like Pressley in the 2nd. The DE crop is pretty thin IMO, and so is RB. Even though RB is a relatively easy position to fill, DMC has skills that go beyond a normal RB. Calais Campbell is a huge DE and has lots of projection still. He plays a premium defensive position, and his size and athleticism are hard to find as well.

Darren McFadden
Calais Campbell

Maybe OT is a harder position to fill, but this class is pretty heavy in OT's, which is why I go with the player who is rare in this draft.

dRaFtDoRk
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Jake Long is an amazing tackle. Although Michigan hasn't looked great, there run game has and it's mainly due to his game and leadership at the LOS.

1) Jake Long OT Michigan
2) Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
3) Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

HoopsDemon12
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
I think i definatly have to go with Dorsey or Campbell.. there seems to be a top ten OT every draft... aswell as a "Great" runningback. But i think campbell is along the mario, julius mold in DE which is highly sought after... Not to mention Dorsey is a beast of an UT... i think the slight edge is to Dorsey because so many cover 2 teams out there already know he is a great fit

Sniper
09-21-2007, 06:26 PM
If Ryan Clady comes out, I think he might top the Ol list.

Ahead of Long and Baker? HIGHLY doubtful

P-L
09-21-2007, 07:23 PM

How do you think Campbell fits in a 3-4?

Xiomera
09-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Long or Dorsey

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Ahead of Long and Baker? HIGHLY doubtful

I am a huge fan of Clady. I think he's a better bet at LT than Jake Long, and while I think Baker is better in pass protection right now, the argument for Clady would be that he's got bigger upside from a frame perspective.

That said, from what I've followed, Clady's been inconsistent so far. So we'll have to wait and see. I don't disagree that right now, both Long and Baker are ahead. But if Clady gets it going, watch out.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
How do you think Campbell fits in a 3-4?

I don't think 3-4 DE is Campbell's best fit. But I do think he can be fine there, akin to why the Jets were considering Mario Williams (had he fallen). Put it this way, I think he can be fine as a 3-4 DE, although he'd have to more consistent, whereas I don't think Dorsey fits in the 3-4 at all. Add in Campbell's athletic ability, and it gives you pause to consider it.

PACKmanN
09-21-2007, 10:53 PM
trade down then :)