PDA

View Full Version : Week 3: Detroit Lions @ Philadelphia Eagles

P-L
09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I want a win so bad here. I think I want to win this game more than other in the Millen era. However, I think a desperate Eagles team is going to take this one. I'll say Philadelphia 24, Detroit 21.

TheMadLionsFan
09-21-2007, 08:10 PM
I dunno man....McNabb isn't 100 percent and niether is Brian Westbrook and those receivers don't strike fear in my heart.....if the offensive line and John Kitna can stop those blitz packages that Jim Johnson will throw at us....I believe the Lions will win fairly easily.....because their secondary is banged up as well

brat316
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
If the eagles WR, get pressed at the line, and if there in an enough pass rush, the eagles are in trouble.

I dont know if the eagles can cover all the WRs of the Lions. And the Pass rush is not there.

But if the eagles want that win badly they will do it.

P-L
09-21-2007, 08:38 PM
See, I think the Eagles are going to will themselves to a win on Sunday. I think we match up excellently with the Eagles. Their secondary is banged up, and we have four quality receivers and focus on the passing game. On offense, their receivers aren't all that great and I think will have trouble taking advantage of our secondary. However, the Eagles need this win to save their season. I think they take care of business at home.

TacticaLion
09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Eagles also having injury problems with their OLine? I'm fairly positive that Andrews is hurt on the right side... and I thought I heard about another injury.

That shouldn't go ignored.

A weak OLine with a hesitant McNabb is a recipe for offensive disaster for the Eagles this week. Our DLine is playing extremely well, and pressure will only help our secondary (against those unimpressive WRs).

Oh yeah... LJ Smith is out.

If Dawkins doesn't play, their defense loses a lot of their heart and grit... and, without Lito, they've lost their shutdown corner.

If both teams were at full strength, and McNabb was playing like McNabb, I think the Eagles have us fairly easily. But, after last weeks "miracle" win and considering the state of their defense, OLine and QB, I think we should walk with this one.

Lions... 3-0!? It's a perfect match-up for us right now. 34-14.

Bootland27
09-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Forget about their injuries for a second......Donovan Mcnabb, Brian Westbrook are warriors and can play thorough pain. The eagles are a veteran team that are not going to roll over. They know that if they don't win and go 0-3 their season is in jeopardy, so I expect to see their best effort of the year.

This is a classic trap game for us. It reminds me of the game 3 years ago when the lions were 3-1 after beating atlanta convincingly and were about the face the packers who were 1-4 and everybody n their mother was convinced that brett favre was done. The lions lost that game 38-10.

Marinelli has to approach this game as if the eagles are 2-0. If the lions can stay focused and take care of business, they should win.

TacticaLion
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Forget about their injuries for a second......Donovan Mcnabb, Brian Westbrook are warriors and can play thorough pain. The eagles are a veteran team that is not going to roll over. They know that if they don't win and go 0-3 their season is in jeopardy, so I expect to see their best effort of the year.

This is a classic trap game for us. It reminds me of the game 3 years ago when the lions were 3-1 after beating atlanta convincingly and were about the face the packers who were 1-4 and everybody n their mother was saying that brett favre was done. The lions lost that game 38-10.

Marinelli has to approach this game as if the eagles are 2-0. If the lions can stay focused and take care of business, they should win.
I forgot about those injuries for a second...

Is that second up?

I get your point, and you're right. The Lions have to view this as a must win and not an easy win, or they'll get beat. Bad.

But, looking at the game for what it is, the Eagles are hit by injuries right now and that'll make things easier for us. If someone asked me what the Eagles three biggest strengths were, I'd probably say: McNabb, Westbrook, and the secondary. Each of those areas has a concern with it right now... which can only help.

So, I agree with you... but I'd like to remember those injuries now. They'll have a big impact on the game.

Addict
09-22-2007, 01:20 AM
I'd love to win this one, but I think the eagles aren't going to allow themselves to slip any further, so yes we lose, but we go down fighting and come very close to beating them. 21-23 (three TD for us, 2 TD, 3 FG for them)...

Xiomera
09-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Detroit 27, Philly 16

Addict
09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Detroit 27, Philly 16

Oh I'd like that, since detroit winning is my 'total homer special' in this weeks' pick-em

ironman4579
09-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I want to win this game so bad, just because everyone's picking us to lose, and some are picking us to lose by 10 or more points. But of course, it seems like every game I really want the Lions to win they lose, so I'm saying Eagles 31 Lions 28.

P-L
09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
The old Lions are back. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

bearsfan_51
09-23-2007, 01:02 PM
The old Lions are back. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif
They never left PL......they never left.

Addict
09-23-2007, 01:15 PM

holy crap! we had dinner late so only just saw the score! WTF happened?

Addict
09-23-2007, 01:16 PM
14-35... This sucks.

P-L
09-23-2007, 01:18 PM
When the OL plays well and gives Kitna time, the Lions score. When they play bad and there are defenders in his face before he can look down the field, it's three and out. What a freaking concept!

But for those who aren't watching the game, Calvin is hurt. He went up and made an amazing catch but landed hard. No word on the injury, but after walking to the sideline under his own power, he's being carted off to the locker room.

Addict
09-23-2007, 02:24 PM
When the OL plays well and gives Kitna time, the Lions score. When they play bad and there are defenders in his face before he can look down the field, it's three and out. What a freaking concept!

But for those who aren't watching the game, Calvin is hurt. He went up and made an amazing catch but landed hard. No word on the injury, but after walking to the sideline under his own power, he's being carted off to the locker room.

daaaaamn

hey at least he made the type of catch we drafted him for, but let's hope the injury isn't bad.

Bootland27
09-23-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.10000takes.com/ChroniclesofMillen.jpg

Addict
09-23-2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.10000takes.com/ChroniclesofMillen.jpg

+rep, although we can't blame Millen for everything...

The O-line sucked, our secondary got pwned... nah we we're outplayed and outclassed...

Scotty D
09-23-2007, 03:20 PM
That game could have been a lot closer. Loss of Calvin hurt.

TacticaLion
09-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Gave up WAY TOO MANY sacks. Kitna had some time on a few of those, but injuries to two of your starting OLinemen will cause problems.

My stupid DirecTV didn't record the game (like it was told to), but it didn't matter anyway.

At least I had Kitna and Roy on my fantasy team... and at least Minn lost to KC.

P-L
09-23-2007, 03:26 PM
The Good
- Kitna continued to play well, despite getting sacked 9 times
- Roy dominated

The Bad
- Eagles OL dominated
- Lions defense could not stop the Eagles offense
- No one decided to covered Kevin Curtis
- Lions OL was not good
- Lions OL sucked horribly
- Lions OL was atrocious
- Awful does not begin to describe the play of the Lions OL
- Anything else not included in "The Good" section

Addict
09-23-2007, 03:33 PM
The Good
- Kitna continued to play well, despite getting sacked 9 times
- Roy dominated

The Bad
- Eagles OL dominated
- Lions defense could not stop the Eagles offense
- No one decided to covered Kevin Curtis
- Lions OL was not good
- Lions OL sucked horribly
- Lions OL was atrocious
- Lions OL was abysmal
- Lions OL would give up sacks to Jim Sorgi had he played DE
- Awful does not begin to describe the play of the Lions OL
- Anything else not included in "The Good" section

I added two, but I agree word for word, we brought the house, unfortunately we forgot we're homeless.

TheMadLionsFan
09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
this defense is pure hot asscheek sweat.....they can't tackle....they can't cover.....that can't cover rbs put of the backfield....and they can't ****** read screens....got damn......look you bastids......when you get to free agency and the ****** draft....every ****** pick should be on defense....gee ****** wiz.....and where is the got damn running game.....

*sigh*

I still feel they will go .500

Xiomera
09-23-2007, 04:59 PM
KJ touched the ball 4 times . . . did he really get those 20 plays they said all week he would get? I hardly saw him out there . . .

9 sacks allowed . . . Oh my God!

Addict
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
KJ touched the ball 4 times . . . did he really get those 20 plays they said all week he would get? I hardly saw him out there . . .

9 sacks allowed . . . Oh my God!

and there we were thinking the O-Line was off the 'major need' list.

Xiomera
09-23-2007, 05:47 PM
and there we were thinking the O-Line was off the 'major need' list.

I wouldn't have said that, lol.

We still need a LG and a RT . . . just like last year.

Addict
09-23-2007, 05:51 PM

We need to trade, A LOT we need like 5 or 6 first rounders

TheMadLionsFan
09-23-2007, 05:51 PM

LT isn't so solid either......

TacticaLion
09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Didn't Backus and Woody get injured?

P-L
09-23-2007, 07:16 PM
LT isn't so solid either......

Problem is, we'd probably paying Backus more money not to start for us than it's worth.

Nerv
09-23-2007, 07:22 PM
George Foster hit his quota of 3 penalties per game.

Xiomera
09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
We could do worse than Backus at LT for the next few years. If we solidify the rest of that line, then he won't be a problem at all.

Iamcanadian
09-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I cannot believe we are talking about the OL. What chance did they have when your defense is a total sieve. The Eagles could ignore the run and just tie off on the pass rush as we played catch up.
I've been saying for some time that our defense is a sieve and we will be giving up 30+ points on a fairly regular basis. Now that we are past 2 very weak teams whose future by the way, looks a lot brighter than ours as they gain experience, the NFL teams will be licking their lips looking forward to playing us but don't worry, it will be extremely hard for them to get fired up like the Eagles were, they'll already have the game marked down as a win and we should be able to win at least 4-6 total games.

TheMadLionsFan
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Doesn't Backus only have like two years left on his contract?

Addict
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Doesn't Backus only have like two years left on his contract?

no they re-signed him I think.

ironman4579
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I cannot believe we are talking about the OL. What chance did they have when your defense is a total sieve. The Eagles could ignore the run and just tie off on the pass rush as we played catch up.
I've been saying for some time that our defense is a sieve and we will be giving up 30+ points on a fairly regular basis. Now that we are past 2 very weak teams whose future by the way, looks a lot brighter than ours as they gain experience, the NFL teams will be licking their lips looking forward to playing us but don't worry, it will be extremely hard for them to get fired up like the Eagles were, they'll already have the game marked down as a win and we should be able to win at least 4-6 total games.

At least 6 wins would be an improvement right? I'm still pulling for 7 wins this year.

Scotty D
09-25-2007, 11:49 AM
At least 6 wins would be an improvement right? I'm still pulling for 7 wins this year.

Definitely. We had 3 wins last year. We have two in three games this year. Last year we didn't get our first win until the sixth week. This season should be a step in the right direction.

Addict
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Definitely. We had 3 wins last year. We have two in three games this year. Last year we didn't get our first win until the sixth week. This season should be a step in the right direction.

we all expected it to. The one thing that worries me is the fact Kitna's not gonna last for much longer (last season? forelast?) and that his retirement (especially with Stanton now on IR not doing anything) will once again set us back. But that's a problem for later; right now we're 2/3 for wins as compared to last season.

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
we all expected it to. The one thing that worries me is the fact Kitna's not gonna last for much longer (last season? forelast?) and that his retirement (especially with Stanton now on IR not doing anything) will once again set us back. But that's a problem for later; right now we're 2/3 for wins as compared to last season.Stanton is still being worked with. He now has a full year to learn the system and work with coaches on his mechanics and mindset... which is almost better than being tempted to throwing him into a game and getting "Harringtoned".

The thing that scares me: Martz. If he decides to leave in the offseason, where does that leave the offense? That thought scares me.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM

We'll go as far as our offense will carry us. When teams play the bottom feeders of the league, an upset is always a strong possibility especially if we have lost 2 or 3 in a row. Our team will always be fired up to escape being embarrassed and sometimes that leads to a few victories. Philly needed to beat us badly to have any kind of a season and we saw what a fired up team can do to us and our defense. Fortunately, we won't be put in that position too often but it does clearly indicate just how far we have to go to be a playoff team.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Stanton is still being worked with. He now has a full year to learn the system and work with coaches on his mechanics and mindset... which is almost better than being tempted to throwing him into a game and getting "Harringtoned".

The thing that scares me: Martz. If he decides to leave in the offseason, where does that leave the offense? That thought scares me.

It should scare you, not only is there a strong possibility that Martz could move on if he's not made our HC, it would probably mean that Kitna at 36 would hang up his cleats and retire.
Without Martz, my confidence in Stanton, the 5th QB taken in the draft, would be severely diminished. It could also mean that the whole offense would have to be restructured to suit a new HC/OC. I don't see a solid foundation in place from which this franchise can go forward. We are basically building the team through FA as we never have a draft under Millen that produces more than 1 or 2 starters. I don't believe you can build a franchise this way and that makes our future pretty dim.

Xiomera
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
It should scare you, not only is there a strong possibility that Martz could move on if he's not made our HC, it would probably mean that Kitna at 36 would hang up his cleats and retire.
Without Martz, my confidence in Stanton, the 5th QB taken in the draft, would be severely diminished. It could also mean that the whole offense would have to be restructured to suit a new HC/OC. I don't see a solid foundation in place from which this franchise can go forward. We are basically building the team through FA as we never have a draft under Millen that produces more than 1 or 2 starters. I don't believe you can build a franchise this way and that makes our future pretty dim.

Agreed with everything you said. We need our QB of the future to be someone that can function without the reliance on Mike Martz.

Scotty D
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't think Millen will let Martz leave. I think he will pay him a lot of money probably more than he should. I mean if Martz is getting paid like a head coach with less responsibilities and blame why not stay here? Plus he has Calvin and Roy. :)

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Woah, woah, woah... Stanton was still a good pick and is a talented player. He has the desire to win and played well at MSU without a supporting cast (and has mobility). Lets not count this guy out before he gets a chance to play at this level.

We still have our WRs, and a healthy KJones will help him. If the management decides to improve the OLine in the offseason, Stanton could prove to be a starting-caliber QB.

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Plus he has Calvin and Roy. :)
Also a good point. Everyone knows our WR group was strong last draft and that Kitna was in place (for now) as our QB. We also had McCown, so QB wasn't a HUGE position of need (no bigger than OLine, CB or LB). Martz wanted CJ and was high on Stanton... and was given both players.

I have a feeling that it was understood between Millen and Martz that, if he got the players he'd want, he'd stay to use them. It makes sense.