PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Hester

Staubach12
09-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Call me crazy, but I think he may be able to play RB on the next level. What do you think about Hester?

draftguru151
09-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I definitely think he has the RB skills to do it, but it really depends on how he times. I don't know if he can be a starter, but I think he can definitely be a very good back up or the 2nd guy in a 1/2 punch.

jared
09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
He has the hands, blocking, and pretty good vision and ball security. I am also curious to see how he times in the 40 and the agility drills. He's a good football player, not sure if he's gonna run the sort of time that will get him noticed as a tailback. He's proved himself in the SEC though, I think he'll run around a 4.60 and get picked up as a third RB/special teamer.

YAYareaRB
09-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Imagine if he had Hester speed..

DukeDaGod
09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
the NEXT Mike Alstott

Mr. Stiller
09-22-2007, 02:40 PM
the NEXT Mike Alstott

That belongs to Brian Leonard or Owen Schmitt...

Hester is considered to be 5'11 228lbs and runs between a 4.59 to 4.63

I think Peyton Hillis is the better Pro-RB prospect playing FB right now..

jared
09-22-2007, 05:55 PM
That belongs to Brian Leonard or Owen Schmitt...

Hester is considered to be 5'11 228lbs and runs between a 4.59 to 4.63

I think Peyton Hillis is the better Pro-RB prospect playing FB right now..

Agreed, although I think both Hillis and Hester are miscast as pure FB's at the next level. Schmitt however is just a gigantic monster.

Mr. Stiller
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Agreed, although I think both Hillis and Hester are miscast as pure FB's at the next level. Schmitt however is just a gigantic monster.

I think Hillis is like Najeh.. He was a pure RB, that played FB in college.

Schmitt is 6'3 257 plays FB/RB/TE

etk
09-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't really care what position he plays, the fact remains that Hester is a baller. He's not flashy but he does everything sound and well. He has great hands, can pass block, run block and would be a nice complementary back with his vision, especially in the red zone. No he is not physical enough to be the next Alstott but he could be just as valuable for an offense, while he also has the kind of skills that would make him a fixture on all special teams.

nhlkdog411
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
couple things on hester but also on schmitt and hillis too.

I think all three of them have the ability to play rb in the pros althought hester is most likely to get a shot. I think he has a mid 4.5 forty in him and at his size that is sufficient to get a chance. Hillis and schmitt are both bigger which makes it easier to put them at fullback, but they are both probably more athletic. Hillis is athletic enough that he has acted as arkansas punt returner at times, which for a 240 pounder is damn impressive and I have read that schmitt has been timed under 4.6 which is also damn impressive for a 260 pounder..he could be like a jerome bettis or brandon jacobs in the pros.

jared
10-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Well after watching Hester's performance today against Florida, I have no lingering doubts about whether he can play at the next level. There was one draw play in particular in the 4th quarter where I got to see his burst. Announcers claimed he runs a 4.5 and benches 400-something lbs. I think he needs to pull a Brian Leonard and drop like 8-10 lbs. and insist that he'd make a better tailback at the next level.

Staubach12
10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I have no question as to whether he can play RB, now. He's simply a great football player.

Vikes99ej
10-07-2007, 12:04 AM
How similar is this situation to the Brian Leonard one?

fenikz
10-07-2007, 12:28 AM
He proved he has the heart and drive to get it done, if he can put up decent numbers in the combine he could go 1st day

Race for the Heisman
10-07-2007, 12:45 AM
How similar is this situation to the Brian Leonard one?

IMO, not much. Hester is splitting carries and doing a lot of the dirty, harder running, with Keiland benefitting from his work. He may line-up as the fullback sometimes but he gets his share of touches as tailback. Leonard got some, but I don't think anywhere near the relative quantity that Hester is getting.

bearsfan_51
10-07-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm gonna wait for Toonster to confirm this.

BuddyCHRIST
10-07-2007, 07:32 AM
he'll be drafted, but he probably won't be anything more than a back up at the next level. Regardless he's a good player to have due to his versatility.

Xiomera
10-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm gonna wait for Toonster to confirm this.

lol, is that your new crutch phrase?

jared
10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
IMO, not much. Hester is splitting carries and doing a lot of the dirty, harder running, with Keiland benefitting from his work. He may line-up as the fullback sometimes but he gets his share of touches as tailback. Leonard got some, but I don't think anywhere near the relative quantity that Hester is getting.

Their situations are kind of reversed chronologically. Leonard started as the primary rusher at RU and was gradually phased to a more blocking FB position. Hester was recruited as a FB and has seen his blocking duties reduced and his carries increased. Either way, they've both been used as HB/FB hybrids. They both are extremely versatile, dependable, and team leaders. To me they have similar running styles: they don't f--k around behind the LOS, they make one cut and head upfield and they always fall forward after contact. Since Hester is only 5'11", I think he'd be better suited to dropping 10 lbs and getting his speed/agility up for the combine a la Leonard. I don't think he should have to bloat up to 250/260 and just become a battering ram for someone else. As long as he runs a 4.5 -ish I think he's a no-brainer first day pick.

darnik44two
10-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I had him figured as a late 4th round pick at best, but he's really starting to grow on me. After the game he played last night I think he a certain day 1 pick with a shot to go in round 2. I'd love to see the Steelers steal him in the 3rd, but I really think he'll be gone.

PoopSandwich
10-07-2007, 11:58 AM
What I noticed about Hester is that he needs to get stronger and become a bigger back and that could become his strength because his speed isn't that bad.

If he gets stronger he could become a power back with some decent speed.

jared
10-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Every college player needs to get stronger for the NFL. Hester's already 5'11", 228 lbs. He certainly doesn't need to gain any weight if he wants to play RB.

songofthesword
10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
some of you watch no football

Hillis is a pure H-Back if there ever was one. I've never seen a fullback with better hands in my life. for gods sakes he is our punt returner. Runs GREAT routes, won't drop anything, and runs after the catch as well.. He CAN run the ball, but arkansas has 2 NFL running backs, he doesn't need to.. but make no mistake, befor ethey got there he was the next big thing at arkansas.

I'd be all, ALL over him. too versitile

Pittbc7
10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Hillis would be a perfect West Coast FB, a bigger more athletic Tom Rathman who can do it all.

rainbeaukid2
10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
marshall faulk will say that he doesn't have the shake

yourfavestoner
10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
He reminds me a lot of Marion Barber.

SuperKevin
10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I am really not impressed with Jacob Hester. Have you seen that Ol that LSU has? Ciron Black, Will Arnold, and Hermann Johnson are all monsters. Hester should be doing a lot better than he is doing with that line.

saintsfan912
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Dude Arnold hasn't even played 1/4 of the snaps this season. The Oline has been our weak point in the offense, that and the dropped passes since Early went out.

Mr. Stiller
10-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I am really not impressed with Jacob Hester. Have you seen that Ol that LSU has? Ciron Black, Will Arnold, and Hermann Johnson are all monsters. Hester should be doing a lot better than he is doing with that line.

Because of the amount of Ankle/Knee injuries suffered by Arnold, he can play at most 15-20 snaps a game.

saintsfan912
10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
And he hasn't suited up for the past 4 games. Herman Johnson has become a liability at guard as well. We need Arnold back to take his spot and move Herman back to RT to replace the worst OT I've seen at LSU in a long time in Carnell Stewart.

nhlkdog411
10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
marion barber actually isn't a bad comparison: similar size, speed and strength and they both dont f*** around dancing behind the line, they hit the hole and gain 4 yards

San Diego Chicken
10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
marion barber actually isn't a bad comparison: similar size, speed and strength and they both dont f*** around dancing behind the line, they hit the hole and gain 4 yards

I don't see how that's a good comparison. Barber can bounce plays to the outside, keeps his hips low and can move better from side to side. He's also alot faster...

aheineken
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
He's not as elusive or athletic as Brian Leonard. That's saying a lot considering those were the knocks on Leonard when he came out. I think he'll be a good short yardage back/FB/H-back type player, but he'll probably never start.

nhlkdog411
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't see how that's a good comparison. Barber can bounce plays to the outside, keeps his hips low and can move better from side to side. He's also alot faster...

how can you say he is a lot faster? Barber is a 4.55 guys (what he ran coming out of college) which is exactly where most people have hester.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2007, 06:59 PM
how can you say he is a lot faster? Barber is a 4.55 guys (what he ran coming out of college) which is exactly where most people have hester.

Not 40 speed son, but quickness and in game explosion.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Everybody knows white people can't play RB =p.

nhlkdog411
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
how much more explosion, both barber and hester averaged about 5 yards a carry through college, hester slightly less but he has done it with less of a chance and against greater competition

Saints-Tigers
10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
I love Hester, reminds me of Brian Leonard like some have said.

Not sure any man runs as possessed as Barber though... my god that kid has a mean streak.

Hester does refuse to go down, he's mister 4th and 1.

saintsfan912
10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Not to mention he hasn't fumbled since the first carry of his career back in 2004.

jared
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Very few draft sites are even entertaining the idea of Hester as a RB. Everyone seems to rank him as the 3rd best fullback, citing his lack of bulk and power, etc. Am I the only one who doesn't seem his a "tweener"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he start every single game for the best team in the country at tailback? Fullback was his secondary role on LSU, why is it his preferred NFL position? Realistically I think he should be ranked in the 10-15 range among RB's somewhere just ahead of Mike Hart and close to where a healthy Ryan Torain would be.

At 5'10 1/2", 220-230 lbs, I'd say that's pretty much prototype tailback size. His 4.6 40 is not amazing but it's perfectly adequate for a power back; there are many NFL RB's who don't run better than a 4.6. I would agree that he hasn't showcased much elusiveness and needs to develop some moves for the next level. However, because he ran a more direct, bruising style in college doesn't mean he's incapable of learning some elusiveness. Brian Leonard didn't showcase much elusiveness in college either, he just barrelled over people (or hurdled them). Once he got to the NFL he realized he wasn't going to stay healthy long if he didn't develop some moves. Then he comes out in the game vs. the Cardinals and voila! he starts showing some jukes and nifty feet for a big man. It's called learning and adapting, good players do that. QB's improve their footwork and release, WR's refine their route running, etc.

Hester has the requisite athleticism, as evidenced by his very good times in the agility drills at the Combine. Let's take a look at this "unathletic overachiever" in comparison to some of his peers:

Player / 20 yd shuttle / 3 cone
Ray Rice / 4.20 / 6.65
Jamaal Charles / 4.22 / 6.80
Matt Forte' / 4.23 6.84
Jacob Hester / 4.24 / 6.85
C. Boyd / 4.24 / 6.97
K. Smith / 4.49 / 6.79
A. Aldridge / - / 6.88
J. Forsett / - / 6.96
T. Brown / - / 7.17
T. Choice / - / 6.88
----------------------------------------------------------
Aqib Talib / 4.25 / 6.82
Mike Jenkins / 4.40 / 7.21
Leodis McKelvin / 4.10 / 7.06
Kenny Phillips / 4.27 / 6.97
Charles Godfrey / 4.40 / 7.28
Dexter Jackson 4.38 / 6.81
Eddie Royal / 4.34 / 7.07
Mario Manningham / 4.27 / 7.34
Devin Thomas / 4.26 / 7.15

etk
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hester looks like a perfect "backup RB" to me. He has a powerful build and runs with vision and forward lean on the inside. He can pick up solid chunks of yards as a spot starter or in relief and he can punch it in on short-yardage situations. He's a solid receiver and blocker and tremendous special teamer. I think he's more of a RB than FB but there are ways of using him effectively at FB as well. He's a nice weapon to have for any team and I think people with be surprised at how early he gets drafted.