PDA

View Full Version : james davis

foozball
09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
will he declare? it's a relatively weak RB class, with the top 3 RB's being underclassman (DMC, Stewart, Slaton). his stock won't change much if he returns since he'll be splitting carries again with spiller. right now he's the clear #1 RB on his team, so i think his stock is going to be at its peak this year. where does he fall in the rankings and where would he get drafted?

Travis 24
09-22-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't think its a weak RB class at all...even if the top seniors are a joke compared to the juniors (McFadden, Slaton, RICE, Stewart). Those 4 are legit 1st rounders...

Travis 24
09-22-2007, 11:56 AM
And Davis should probably wait to see what those 4 do...If they all declare, he's better off staying another year..

Addict
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
And Davis should probably wait to see what those 4 do...If they all declare, he's better off staying another year..

unless he has a spectacular season of course ;)

HoopsDemon12
09-22-2007, 12:05 PM

True.. btu he also has to worry about Spiller jacking his carries... although it didnt hurt Brown and Williams at Auburn i guess... i would stay if they all leave if i were him

foozball
09-22-2007, 12:06 PM
the top seniors are a joke. no 1st rounders. the underclassman are very good, but after those guys, who do you have? it is strong at the top, but very weak after that. this draft is loaded with 3-4 round RB's.

toonsterwu
09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Odd ... I was just having a discussion with someone about James Davis. I think, right now, if he declared, he's a 2nd rounder-3rd rounder type. A lot will depend on what he runs ... and what weight he carries. I don't like this senior RB crop at all, and I'd take Davis over all of them personally ... including Mike Hart, Tashard Choice, and others. I think McFadden is a lock to go at the top if he comes out. If Felix Jones comes out, he might go real high as well ... but all depends on how he runs. Staying another year and being the main guy could help him ... but it could hurt him as well.

If Jon Stewart

a) Passes the health tests
b) Runs a mid-4.4 time per some rumors

then I'd put him ahead of Davis ... but more from an upside perspective

I'm not so sure I put Slaton and Rice ahead of Davis ... it depends on team and scheme ... but there are just certain teams that aren't going to throw both of these that high due to their size ... that said ... all it takes is one

foozball
09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
also, look at the 2009 class. jamaal charles, felix jones, marlon lucky, brandon ore, ray rice....and then the juniors who might declare like chris wells, javarris james, and pj hill...and then he has spiller to battle with for the #1 spot

HoopsDemon12
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
also, look at the 2009 class. jamaal charles, felix jones, marlon lucky, brandon ore, pj hill, ray rice...it might not be as strong at the top, but there is more depth in 2009

ya there is a lot of guys you could get in 2nd-4th rounds.. but the as for first rounders in that class.. i think a lot of guys need to prove themselves

BuddyCHRIST
09-22-2007, 02:57 PM
He should come out, but this year's RB class could be super sick if all the junior's declare. He might fall to the 2nd round but I don't know why, he has all the physical tools with top notch natural instincts as he's been a stud since he was a true freshman. Anyways I could see alot of RB's getting picked high, especially since there was a few years there where the RB classes were pretty poor. Alot of teams elite backs are aging.

Geo
09-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I love Davis, personally my #3 back behind McFadden and Slaton.

Race for the Heisman
09-23-2007, 12:59 AM
If past trend indicates anything, roughly 7-8 running backs will be taken in the first day, more if the talent level dictates such. The question becomes what teams would take a first day running back, what type of back might they prefer, and how high would they be willing to select a running back.

Off the top of my head, I think the Browns, Texans, Seahawks, Titans, Raiders, Cowboys, Bears, Falcons, Giants, Packers and might expend first day picks on running backs, either because their main guy is aging fast, they have potential uncertainty due to poor performance, they want a RBBC approach, you name it. Some of these teams will probably fill this hole via free agency (Michael Turner comes to mind). For each instance like that, another team will probably come into the picture.

Specifically, I could see the Bears or Falcons taking Davis in the second; the Bears if Benson has injury or performance issues, and the Falcons to compliment Norwood and get a guy more suitable to Petrino's style. Obviously these teams both have other, bigger needs, but logic dictates that 7 or 8 backs will come of the boards in the first three rounds and someone is going to make those picks. If I mentioned your team and feel obligated to tell me you don't need a running back, don't bother, I said POTENTIALLY and anyone knows everything can change over the course of a season.