PDA

View Full Version : Sam Baker

Oaktown1981
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
How good is he really? When I watch him play he doesn't look very impressive to be drafted in the top 10.

In every mock draft he is going in the top 10 right now. Will he play LT in the NFL or will he need to kick inside and play guard?

Can he play in the ZBS?

Thanks

moc182
09-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Not a big fan either. He doesn't move well laterally, and isn't particularly strong at the POA. I think when it's all said and done he's a late first/early second round pick.

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow, I strongly disagree. Right now, I have him ahead of Long. I absolutely love him. He has great technique, quick feet, great pass protection. He can defend the speed rushers with ease, handles a bullrush surprisingly well.

As for run blocking, he does an excellent job getting to the 2nd level as a run blocker. He pulls very well. This kid is a stud in my eyes. I think he's also a safer pick than Long, who scares me a little with his pass protection.

He might not have the measureables that others have, but this kid is VERY solid in my eyes. Im a huge fan, and would love to have him on the Gmen.

etk
09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
He doesn't have ideal length, but he makes up for it with technique & footwork. USC linemen are very well coached and have strong fundamentals. Baker will never be an elite lineman because of his lack of strength and length but he is almost a lock to be a solid starter and valuable pass protector. I don't think he's top 10 value but top 20 would be fair. Long has more potential and is more impressive physically so he will most likely end up being the higher draft pick.

P-L
09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
I think he's a tad overrated, but I still really like him. I think he gets hyped up because Jake Long isn't the greatest pass protector in college football history. I think many people see too much Robert Gallery in Jake Long, and they assume he will have a similar NFL career. I agree with BBD that Baker is a safe pick, with a low bust rate. I think he will be a solid LT for years. However, I don't see the potential to be an elite LT that Jake Long and Ryan Clady have.

HoopsDemon12
09-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Im with Big Blue on this one... i think he will be a better tackle in the long run over Long... He is a tactiction and i think he is a good fit for the zone blocking sheme. I think he would be a great fit in houston under kubiak acutally.. in both my mocks i had him going to them. I think long will be one hell fo a right tackle though... just not a left tackle

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow, I strongly disagree. Right now, I have him ahead of Long. I absolutely love him. He has great technique, quick feet, great pass protection. He can defend the speed rushers with ease, handles a bullrush surprisingly well.

As for run blocking, he does an excellent job getting to the 2nd level as a run blocker. He pulls very well. This kid is a stud in my eyes. I think he's also a safer pick than Long, who scares me a little with his pass protection.

He might not have the measureables that others have, but this kid is VERY solid in my eyes. Im a huge fan, and would love to have him on the Gmen.

I tend to agree. I think he is a solid LT prospect. Nobody is a sure thing. If your looking for an Orlando Pace, that he isn't but he can be an effective LT in the NFL and that is going to get him drafted pretty high.

marks01234
09-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I think he's a safe pick at one of toughest positions to find. That'll push him into the top ten.

He reminds me of a slightly less athletic and long D'Brickshaw.

BUTerriers
09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
If Levi Brown can go in the top 10, then Sam Baker going in the top 10 can't be considered much of a stretch...With the premium placed on cornerstone tackles, someone will pick him early.

keylime_5
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Left Tackles are a premium in the NFL. Sam Baker will go top 10 b/c Miami, New York (N), Atlanta, Oakland, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Jacksonville etc. all could use a left tackle in the first round, and a bunch of those teams are gonna have top 10 picks. Other than a QB, a franchise LT is the most important thing to have. More important than a RB, shutdown CB, or pass rushing DE. Baker is probably not one of the 10 best players regardless of position and need in the draft, but he'll go higher b/c of the position he can play effectively in the NFL.

Addict
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Jake Long & Clady both have a good option going into the top ten as well... so there is a limit to how many guys can go high. I'd like to see how he matches up against those two by the time the seasons done.

As said earlier, Long and Clady both have elite potential, and upside is key in football these days