Chris Ellis, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Aquib Talib, CB, Kansas*
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
Michael Oher, OG, Mississippi*
Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville

Vikes99ej
09-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Great Vikings pick considering both Brohm and Woodson are taken.

Apriori
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
I hear there's a pretty good OT from Michigan this year.

princefielder28
09-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Receiver is not the answer for Green Bay in round one

Caddy
09-23-2007, 02:35 AM

But it is a very possible answer for the Buc's. I love the pick Darnik.

thule
09-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Cason is a bit high but could end up there if he runs good. Manningham isn't my taste but maybe.

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 06:20 AM

I had a hard time with that pick. But going over the guys available worth that pick, Kelly seemed to be the best choice. Sedrick Ellis would have been my next choice. I'm just not sure they would go back to back DT's in round 1.

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Cason is a bit high but could end up there if he runs good. Manningham isn't my taste but maybe.

I'm getting a bit cold on Manningham myself. Coming into the season I saw him as a top 15 pick. This was another tough pick like the Packers. Tony Hills was a consideration.

Addict
09-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Linebacker works for the Lions although I think we'd be better off with a CB or DE.

I doubt the Titans go DE with the top WR still on the boards, could just be me though.

neko4
09-23-2007, 07:44 AM
If GB were sitting at 18 and Jenkins was available he'd be jumped on quickly. We've taken 2 WR's in the first day the past 2 years. Jennings had a very sucessful rookie season and Jones is off to a good start.

TimD
09-23-2007, 10:45 AM

so did i... must not be true

skinzzfan25
09-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I like the Redskins draft slot, but I have no idea who Blake is :P

SuperMcGee
09-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Bills wouldn't draft a QB, Trent Edwards is next in line.

21ST
09-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Redskins need a CB and a WR

HoopsDemon12
09-23-2007, 02:21 PM

i agree with you... i think Campbell, Dorsey are the top two in contention there. Or we would trade down get some picks... get a corner in a spot where he is better value or one of the great linebackers in this years crop

TitanHope
09-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I can't argue with the Calais Campbell pick. Pending on how Antwan Odom does, LE could be a need and Campbell can fill that role well. Not to mention, he's probably an upgrade over Odom anyway. WR is the biggest need for the Titans, like Addict said, but I can't really think of anyone that's worth picking there. And even if there was, the Titans FO and Jeff Fisher prefer defense over offense, so a great defensive player would likely get chosen over a great offensive one. Though, I still believe WR should be assessed in the 2nd Round with Sweed, Bowman, or Earl Bennett if you have him declaring.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Give the Steelers Vernon Gholston or Erin Henderson. I don't like Richardson in round 1.

Yung Flippa
09-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Ravens would pick up Jenkins, Laurinaitis, or Jackson.

T-RICH49
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Baker over Long?Doubtful

Sniper
09-23-2007, 04:13 PM

You heard that crazy rumor too? I thought I was the only one. Doucet for the Birds is nice, but King, Rivers, Connor are better.

Scotty D
09-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Great Lions pick.

Gridiron
09-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Great Jets pick.

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Give the Steelers Vernon Gholston or Erin Henderson. I don't like Richardson in round 1.

The Steelers forgot what happened in '92 when they took Huey Richardson (OLB) in the first when they drafted Lawrence "the bust" Timmons. So don't expect a LB in the first for atleast another 15 years. Jack Hamm was the only other LB taken in the first round in the history of the Steelers organization, he worked out pretty good though. They need to come away with a starter in round one of this years draft, a RT seems to be a likely pick.

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Baker over Long?Doubtful

I guarantee it.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
The Steelers forgot what happened in '92 when they took Huey Richardson (OLB) in the first when they drafted Lawrence "the bust" Timmons. So don't expect a LB in the first for atleast another 15 years. Jack Hamm was the only other LB taken in the first round in the history of the Steelers organization, he worked out pretty good though. They need to come away with a starter in round one of this years draft, a RT seems to be a likely pick.

So many things wrong with this...

1) Huey Richardson was cut by Bill Cowher after being drafted in the 1st round by Chuck Noll. Huey Richardson was a Horrible Florida OLB. he didn't have the NFL Cander.

2) Lawrence Timmons was drafted to Play Mack ILB. Which after 3 games your can't say Timmons is a bust. He's playing ST's and is dominating. He's our PR Gunner. He's also looking good in Garbage time at ILB.

3) I can pick out nearly any team and find a bust in a 1st round at a position they need and then have drafted again.

For Instance.. Troy Edwards and Plax Burress were both Busts for us at the WR position. And what did we do? Turned around and drafted Holmes in round 1 in 2006.

4) Willie Colon is a great RT for us and he's playing lights out. He has yet to let up 1 sack. Why would we spend a 1st round pick on a position that we're set at? Colon is a 2nd year Player and has 2 more years on his contract. A little early to find his replacement.

5) One thing the Steelers are blessed with is having the ability to slowly bring along their picks.

The last 7 first round picks:

Lawrence Timmons
Santonio Holmes
Heath Miller
Ben Roethlisberger
Troy Polamalu
Kendall Simmons
Casey Hampton
Plaxico Burress

Of those 7, only 2 started or had significant time. Heath Miller because we lost Mark Breuner and He was ready to start rookie year. Ben Roethlisberger because of the Tommy Maddox injury. Plax, Hampton, Simmons, Polamalu and Holmes all started on the bench. Hampton, Polamalu are 2 of the best at their position.

Timmons is 20, we don't need LB help inside right now, but 2-3 Years when Farrior retires we will.

6) I know the Steelers, I know what we need. What we don't need is a RT... Especially with Willie Colon looking great, and Having Max Starks as depth. Don't forget Starks was the RT we had for the Superbowl..

7a) Erin Henderson would be a Buck in our 3-4 (LILB) system.
7b) The Only WOLB we have is James Harrison, who is old (30) and has injury history. We need a Young Premier 3-4 ROLB. And That guy is Gholston.

Trust me, I'm not afraid to say we need a position.

ROLB is our #1 Need
Future LT is our #2 Need
OT/OG is our #3 Need
LILB is our #4 Need
CB is our #5 Need.

Sniper
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
The Steelers forgot what happened in '92 when they took Huey Richardson (OLB) in the first when they drafted Lawrence "the bust" Timmons.

How the hell do you call a guy a bust after 3 games? What the ****?

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 06:48 PM
So many things wrong with this...

1) Huey Richardson was cut by Bill Cowher after being drafted in the 1st round by Chuck Noll. Huey Richardson was a Horrible Florida OLB. he didn't have the NFL Cander.

2) Lawrence Timmons was drafted to Play Mack ILB. Which after 3 games your can't say Timmons is a bust. He's playing ST's and is dominating. He's our PR Gunner. He's also looking good in Garbage time at ILB.

3) I can pick out nearly any team and find a bust in a 1st round at a position they need and then have drafted again.

For Instance.. Troy Edwards and Plax Burress were both Busts for us at the WR position. And what did we do? Turned around and drafted Holmes in round 1 in 2006.

4) Willie Colon is a great RT for us and he's playing lights out. He has yet to let up 1 sack. Why would we spend a 1st round pick on a position that we're set at? Colon is a 2nd year Player and has 2 more years on his contract. A little early to find his replacement.

5) One thing the Steelers are blessed with is having the ability to slowly bring along their picks.

The last 7 first round picks:

Lawrence Timmons
Santonio Holmes
Heath Miller
Ben Roethlisberger
Troy Polamalu
Kendall Simmons
Casey Hampton
Plaxico Burress

Of those 7, only 2 started or had significant time. Heath Miller because we lost Mark Breuner and He was ready to start rookie year. Ben Roethlisberger because of the Tommy Maddox injury. Plax, Hampton, Simmons, Polamalu and Holmes all started on the bench. Hampton, Polamalu are 2 of the best at their position.

Timmons is 20, we don't need LB help inside right now, but 2-3 Years when Farrior retires we will.

6) I know the Steelers, I know what we need. What we don't need is a RT... Especially with Willie Colon looking great, and Having Max Starks as depth. Don't forget Starks was the RT we had for the Superbowl..

7a) Erin Henderson would be a Buck in our 3-4 (LILB) system.
7b) The Only WOLB we have is James Harrison, who is old (30) and has injury history. We need a Young Premier 3-4 ROLB. And That guy is Gholston.

Trust me, I'm not afraid to say we need a position.

ROLB is our #1 Need
Future LT is our #2 Need
OT/OG is our #3 Need
LILB is our #4 Need
CB is our #5 Need.

Well, I'm also a Steelers fan and have been so for 25 years now. First off, Timmons was drafted to be Joey Porters replacement, not an ILB. When they drafted him I said he wouldn't work out at OLB, and he didn't take long to prove me right. He's not officially a bust, but I have never been impressed by him, but I hope I'm wrong. Word has it, Tomlin stepped on some toes to make the Timmons pick. When Revis was gone they were caught off guard and gave Tomlin his way. He was the only HC at his pro day, and had an apparent man crush on Timmons. My point in stating the Steelers draft history at LB was to say their philosophy is to develope LB's, not to try to bring in immediate stars. If they stick with the 3-4 (like I expect and hope) Tomlin will find out 3-4 OLB's need time to develope because not many guys come in with experience at that position. LLoyd, Brown, Porter and Gildon were drafted in or around the 3rd round (I forget exactly), Brown may have been a 2nd round pick. If they stick with the 3-4, Woodley is the answer at one OLB position, and Harrison is still young.

Oh...how can you call Plaxico a bust? His stay wasn't long, but check his numbers he was productive.

darnik44two
09-23-2007, 06:50 PM
How the hell do you call a guy a bust after 3 games? What the ****?

I called him overated, not worth the 15th pick, and not a good fit a 3-4 OLB last April and so far I was right on. I'm a Steelers fan, so believe me I hope I'm wrong. Technically no he's not officially a bust, but I just don't see what he can do for their defense.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I called him overated, not worth the 15th pick, and not a good fit a 3-4 OLB last April and so far I was right on. I'm a Steelers fan, so believe me I hope I'm wrong. Technically no he's not officially a bust, but I just don't see what he can do for their defense.

He is not a 3-4 OLB, he's a 3-4 ILB.

A RILB. Think Adalius Thomas. Can run with WR's, play LB/S switching on and off again with Troy, and he can rush the passer from the interior.

So... He's not a 3-4 OLB. They had him out there in the pre-season. The OLB Spot is more systematic in our defense. The ILB is more zone/instinct. They had him learn OLB so when he plays ILB he knows exactly what the OLB's duty is on the play so he can react knowingly of the players around him.

Which is why we need a true 3-4 ROLB, because other than Harrison (30 years old and injury concerns) Is all we have.

KCJ58
09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I like the Rams pick

Sniper
09-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Uh you called him a bust. Go look at the quote.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Well, I'm also a Steelers fan and have been so for 25 years now. First off, Timmons was drafted to be Joey Porters replacement, not an ILB. When they drafted him I said he wouldn't work out at OLB, and he didn't take long to prove me right. He's not officially a bust, but I have never been impressed by him, but I hope I'm wrong. Word has it, Tomlin stepped on some toes to make the Timmons pick. When Revis was gone they were caught off guard and gave Tomlin his way. He was the only HC at his pro day, and had an apparent man crush on Timmons. My point in stating the Steelers draft history at LB was to say their philosophy is to develope LB's, not to try to bring in immediate stars. If they stick with the 3-4 (like I expect and hope) Tomlin will find out 3-4 OLB's need time to develope because not many guys come in with experience at that position. LLoyd, Brown, Porter and Gildon were drafted in or around the 3rd round (I forget exactly), Brown may have been a 2nd round pick. If they stick with the 3-4, Woodley is the answer at one OLB position, and Harrison is still young.

Oh...how can you call Plaxico a bust? His stay wasn't long, but check his numbers he was productive.

1) Plaxico wasn't Steeler material. Great Numbers, but he quit on a lot of his routes, made dumb mistakes and was lazy. Not a team player. He was a bust for us IMO..

The difference between previous years and now is this.

When we took Porter and Gildon, it was in the midst of other players having great seasons. We haven't taken a decent LB SINCE taking Porter/Haggans. Who have we taken? Alonzo Jackson, in 05.

That was 4-5 years since we took ANYONE at OLB. And Age/Contracts/such have caught up to us. Because we haven't constantly restocked the cupboards. If we had we would be set now and not in a predicament like not having ROLB Depth.

Now We have Haggans/Woodley holding down the left. We have Farrior, Foote and Timmons holding down the interior. We only have James Harrison (Who is 30 and has injury concerns) to hold down ROLB. Our defense needs an effective Passrush and not since Lloyd have we had a OLB that could actually beat a LT 1-on-1.

Well Gholston is a guy that has some OLB experience, can beat a LT 1-on-1 and it's our biggest need.

with the OT depth we can get a Tony Hills, Chris Williams in round 2. A OT/OG like Jeff Otah/Chad Rinehart for depth later.

BroadwayJoe10
09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
I like the jets pick, however I am not 100% sure he is gonna be there. I think if he continues the way hes playing and after he runs at the combine people are going to fall in love with him. I think he could definately improve in his run defense, but the guy can just flat out get to the QB. I'm not sure how many 3-4 teams will be picking before us, but i wouldn't be surprised if a 4-3 team picked him up and tried to plug him in there. I just think he will absolutely flourish in the 3-4, just like i wish adam carricker was playing DE instead of DT. Although, i havn't watched enough rams games to see if they are shifting him around; not trying to step on anyones toes on that one.

Apriori
09-23-2007, 10:49 PM
First off, Timmons was drafted to be Joey Porters replacement, not an ILB.

Which is why they drafted a Joey Porter clone in round two?
I'm not sure which is worse: calling Timmons a bust after 3 games, or (at this point) consciously dropping Long out of the first round.

thebow305
09-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Brennan may just be Grossman Part 2, so that would be a bad move for them IMO.

Great Miami pick, perfect.

Buffalo already has their QB of the future in Trent Edwards if Losman doesn't work out. I don't know what people don't understand about that. The management loves Edwards there. I see the 2006 draft happening all over again here if the Bills have that first pick. It would be Calais Campbell most likely. If not him, then there's a remote chance they could choose Jake Long to put on the right side if Langston Walker really doesn't work out. But my money goes on Calais in that situation.

thebow305
09-24-2007, 12:45 AM

Just for the record, Timmons will be the ILB there in their 3-4 when he starts seeing significant time.

darnik44two
09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
He is not a 3-4 OLB, he's a 3-4 ILB.

A RILB. Think Adalius Thomas. Can run with WR's, play LB/S switching on and off again with Troy, and he can rush the passer from the interior.

So... He's not a 3-4 OLB. They had him out there in the pre-season. The OLB Spot is more systematic in our defense. The ILB is more zone/instinct. They had him learn OLB so when he plays ILB he knows exactly what the OLB's duty is on the play so he can react knowingly of the players around him.

Which is why we need a true 3-4 ROLB, because other than Harrison (30 years old and injury concerns) Is all we have.

Well your absolutly wrong if you think they drafted him to play ILB. I know that's where they have him now, but he ws drafted to play OLB. The Pittsburgh Post gazette wrote an article about him moving to ILB when the Steelers made it known he would be moving there from OLB. He was also listed as a OLB on their site.

darnik44two
09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Just for the record, Timmons will be the ILB there in their 3-4 when he starts seeing significant time.

Yeah, but that wasn't the original plan.

darnik44two
09-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Which is why they drafted a Joey Porter clone in round two?
I'm not sure which is worse: calling Timmons a bust after 3 games, or (at this point) consciously dropping Long out of the first round.

What's all this talk about Jake Long? I have him going 8th to the Rams. I've had him there all along. The original comment was made because I had a typo and listed him as an underclassmen from Arkansas.

Timmons is a guy I didn't like going into the draft last year. Everything I said about him has come true so far. I don't want him to be a bust, I just see the hand writing on th wall. Mr. Stiller said he has been dominant on special team, I'm not sure what games he's watching because I haven't even noticed him on the field.

How is Woodley a Porter clone?

thule
09-24-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm getting a bit cold on Manningham myself. Coming into the season I saw him as a top 15 pick. This was another tough pick like the Packers. Tony Hills was a consideration.

Based on your rankings Long would make the most logical sense. Spears is constantly underachieving...and although some people think Hatcher could be a full time threat, he's proven nothing. Long would be a great interior option on the nickel/dime defenses as well. I really couldn't see Dallas passing on him if he was available at their second pick in the first.

Billingsley26
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
If Buffalo gets the first pick they are definately trading down. They have no need for another QB right now. Trent Edwards is coming up. Looked allright yesterday. I think there is no one that we need at the top pick. I would like to see one of Glenn Dorsey, Dan Connor, Liams Sweed or Addarious Bowman picked up.

Finsfan79
09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
06 Miami Dolphins - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami*

Long over Phillips please

Apriori
09-25-2007, 12:36 AM
What's all this talk about Jake Long? I have him going 8th to the Rams. I've had him there all along. The original comment was made because I had a typo and listed him as an underclassmen from Arkansas.

Timmons is a guy I didn't like going into the draft last year. Everything I said about him has come true so far. I don't want him to be a bust, I just see the hand writing on th wall. Mr. Stiller said he has been dominant on special team, I'm not sure what games he's watching because I haven't even noticed him on the field.

How is Woodley a Porter clone?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm relatively sure that there was no Long on your draft the last time I looked at it.

And Woodley and Porter?
Both of them are hard-hitting DE/OLB slightly undersized 'tweeners who are sack machines and are otherwise lacking in coverage skills. They're playing the same OLB pass-rush position. I'm not what's not to understand about it, Woodley even wore Porter's number in training camp and the preseason.
Timmons had 8 career sacks in 3 years at FSU. Woodley had 12 in one year at Michigan. So who is going to be the rush backer?

fenikz
09-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Give the Cardinals Groves, Harvey or Laurinaitis there

darnik44two
09-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm relatively sure that there was no Long on your draft the last time I looked at it.

And Woodley and Porter?
Both of them are hard-hitting DE/OLB slightly undersized 'tweeners who are sack machines and are otherwise lacking in coverage skills. They're playing the same OLB pass-rush position. I'm not what's not to understand about it, Woodley even wore Porter's number in training camp and the preseason.
Timmons had 8 career sacks in 3 years at FSU. Woodley had 12 in one year at Michigan. So who is going to be the rush backer?

Joey Porter is 6-3 250 (not undersized for a tweener, actually ideal size). Woodley is 6-2 262. Porter is faster, and one of the stongest guys in the NFL. I love Woodley, but he's not anywhere near Porter's prime (neither is Porter though). They play the same position. So can I compare John Kitna to Peyton Mannning? They both play quarterback, Manning has the TD passes in a season record, and Kitna is gunning for it. Kitna once wore #18 in junior high football.

Timmons was drafted to play OLB. For one, he saw all of his action at OLB in the pre-season, why would they do that? Also, he's still listed as a ROLB on the Steelers official site http://www.steelers.com/team/player/.

Last edited by darnik44two : 09-23-2007 at 06:16 AM (this appears under my mock, and this was to change Arkansas* to Michigan. so ys, Long has been there all along. Lokks like some of you just joined in the discussion without even knowing what was being discussed.

Bills2083
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
I'd rather we trade down, and select Dorsey. Then I'd take Sweed with our pick in the 2nd. We'd also have more because of the trade down for Dorsey.

darnik44two
09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I'd rather we trade down, and select Dorsey. Then I'd take Sweed with our pick in the 2nd. We'd also have more because of the trade down for Dorsey.

When I did this mock, I wasn't remembering the Bills just drafted Trent Edwards. So that pick I would change to Dorsey.

Apriori
09-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Joey Porter is 6-3 250 (not undersized for a tweener, actually ideal size). Woodley is 6-2 262. Porter is faster, and one of the stongest guys in the NFL. I love Woodley, but he's not anywhere near Porter's prime (neither is Porter though). They play the same position. So can I compare John Kitna to Peyton Mannning? They both play quarterback, Manning has the TD passes in a season record, and Kitna is gunning for it. Kitna once wore #18 in junior high football.

Timmons was drafted to play OLB. For one, he saw all of his action at OLB in the pre-season, why would they do that? Also, he's still listed as a ROLB on the Steelers official site http://www.steelers.com/team/player/.

Last edited by darnik44two : 09-23-2007 at 06:16 AM (this appears under my mock, and this was to change Arkansas* to Michigan. so ys, Long has been there all along. Lokks like some of you just joined in the discussion without even knowing what was being discussed.

I'm going to guess that I skimmed the list for players from Michigan, and since I originally posted 5 minutes before you made an edit, I think it looks like there was a misunderstanding.
Saying that comparing Manning to Kitna is akin to comparing Woodley to Porter is ridiculous. Woodley and Porter both excel at one thing, and that thing is getting sacks.
Statistics on offense and defense are different: a DB could hypothetically post no tackles and no interceptions EVER and still be one of the greatest of all time. Can you say that about throwing statistics? Nope, because that's what QBs do. Not all good OLBs get lots of sacks.