PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga

thebow305
09-23-2007, 01:34 AM
If he comes out after this season, is he a sure-fire first rounder? Top Inside Linebacker?

slightlyaraiderfan
09-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Right now, I would say he is not the top MLB. He has the best physical attributes at the position, a freak....but he could still work on the mental part of the game. He has improved from last year though, so my answer could change by seasons end.

soybean
09-23-2007, 03:06 AM
he needs another year, i think.

Addict
09-23-2007, 07:10 AM
top guy, could be... first-rounder... yes

moc182
09-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Well as a lot of people know I'm an enormous Maualuga fan. Physically he's off the charts, and a few years from now I think we're looking at the best MIKE in the NFL. That being said Dan Connor is also an outstanding prospect and is also ahead in the mental aspect of the game. I could see Connor possibly going ahead of him, but he should be a top 20 pick regardless.

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 02:43 AM
If both Maualuga and Lauranitis come out, they will be battling each other for top ILB. I think Maualuga should wait because I could see him excelling at the Senior Bowl while Lauranitis is a sure-fire top-20 pick as of now.

benchod
09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
As gifted as Maualuga is, he's on the fringe of the 1st round and probably behind Connor and Lauranitis.

Rey still has a lot of work to do in the mental aspect of the game. If he can show significant development on that part of his game, he leapfrogs both of them.

Giantsfan1080
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
If Maualuga comes out this year he will easily be a 1st rounder. When he goes to the combine and outperforms everyone there he would rise to the mid 1st round as possibly the 1st or 2nd MLB taken. The guy is the real deal.

Green Bay Scat
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
what about character concerns? i mean hes already had Anger Management, u cant just stop that

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 01:11 PM
what about character concerns? i mean hes already had Anger Management, u cant just stop that

Are you serious or making a joke? At least he is treating himself for anger management rather than beating his girl, going to a strip club, or stabbing a couple people here and there.

keylime_5
09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Laurinaitis said he's staying 4 years I do believe...gonna pull an AJ Hawk. So if Rey comes out this year, yeah, he's the top ILB off the board. Likely a first rounder unless he totally bombs in workouts. Good fit a 3-4 like New England or San Diego.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Anger may concern the papers and fans but it is looked upon as an asset in the NFL. Football is a tough physical game at the pro level and HC's love angry players who will sacrifice their bodies to make a play. Unless he is totally uncontrolable, he's a sure fire high 1st rounder whenever he comes out.

YAYareaRB
09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I think it might be the Patrick Willis vs Puz issue we had in last years draft. Connor might get the nod over Maualuga during the season or because he's technically sound and all that. But I think a good combine could push Maualuga above Connor and Lil Animal.

familyguy555
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KaaArtCHAvk

Kids a beast

D-Unit
09-26-2007, 12:25 AM
I love Rey Rey. Come to Dallas big fellah!

YAYareaRB
09-26-2007, 12:55 AM
He's gonna star next to Patrick Willis and make our defense dominant

Finsfan79
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Rey would be a perfect player to pick up and replace Zach Thomas next year. My hope is he is sitting there for the top pick in round 2.

Kid could come in and play next to Crowder be a nice pair of ILB for our system.

7-11
09-26-2007, 10:08 PM
He's gonna star next to Patrick Willis and make our defense dominant

Please don't take another physical freak and waste his talent in the middle of a 3-4

YAYareaRB
09-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Please don't take another physical freak and waste his talent in the middle of a 3-4

Waste his talent? Have you been watching the games? Patrick Willis looks like a vet in our defense. He's on track to become the DROY. What's wasting?

7-11
09-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Waste his talent? Have you been watching the games? Patrick Willis looks like a vet in our defense. He's on track to become the DROY. What's wasting?

I'm not saying he isn't going to be awesome there, im just saying with his skillset I'd prefer to see him playing sideline to sideline in a 4-3 ala Brian Urlacher, just an opinion i guess

keylime_5
09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Putting an ILB in a 3-4 is probably the best thing that can happen to his career (that is as long as he is a physical player like Willis and Maualuga and not a smaller speed finesse guy like Vilma). Tackle numbers usually go up by about 30 in that system. It's a different story for 3-4 defensive linemen however.

YAYareaRB
09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Putting an ILB in a 3-4 is probably the best thing that can happen to his career (that is as long as he is a physical player like Willis and Maualuga and not a smaller speed finesse guy like Vilma). Tackle numbers usually go up by about 30 in that system. It's a different story for 3-4 defensive linemen however.

Well the main job for defensive lineman in the 3-4 is plug holes and keep blockers off the linebackers. Somehow Bryant Young still gets some sacks here and there.

7-11
09-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Yeah i can appreciate that but IMO you don't need premium talent at ILB in the 3-4 for it to be successful. With a top class NT and and top OLB's i think you can get away with just serviceable guys at ILb and DE and still effectively stop the run and get solid pressure

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Personally, I don't think that Maualuga is at the Patrick Willis level yet. He's probably stronger, but he misses far more tackles, over pursues quite often, and is known to disappear for stretches of games.

He has impressive potential, but linebacker isn't exactly a position you take a risk on high in the draft based on potential, especially when that potential is coupled with some character concerns. Rey could undoubtedly use another year of college ball, but right now I think he's a high 2nd round pick.

toonsterwu
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
All comes down to numbers. I wouldn't say Rey is a surefire first rounder. Certainly has the potential, particularly in a first round that's a bit weak on paper right now. I'm not a big fan of Dan Connor in respect to draft value. Solid player potentially, but first round worthy? Not sold. Of all the LB's, I think Keith Rivers might be the only one right now, IMO, that's a surefire first rounder, but even there, it would come down to numbers as well. At the end of the day, we are talking LB here ... you have to really do something eye popping to generate even a first third of the first round talk.

09-27-2007, 07:19 PM

just ask ray lewis and jonathan vilma if they like playing MLB in a 3-4 defense if u think its the best thing that could happen to maualugas career lol

7-11
09-27-2007, 07:38 PM
just ask ray lewis and jonathan vilma if they like playing MLB in a 3-4 defense if u think its the best thing that could happen to maualugas career lol

The Ray bit is exactly my point, you can't say he's not physical and he is much better flying around in the 4-3

YAYareaRB
09-27-2007, 10:05 PM
But you also can't say he hasn't had a great run in the 3-4. He's consistently been an elite MLB in the game, a the while running a 3-4. Vilma is kinda small and not up to par when it comes to 3-4 MLB strength. Why did you bring up Vilma? Don't the Jets run a 4-3 anyway? Correct if I'm wrong..

draftguru151
09-27-2007, 10:16 PM
They switched to a 3-4 last year and Vilma (along with the rest of the defense) has struggled in it.

7-11
09-27-2007, 11:30 PM
They switched to a 3-4 last year and Vilma (along with the rest of the defense) has struggled in it.

Bizarre way of implementing a system, seriously not one of their front 7 was suited to the 3-4 but Mangini had to do it anyway. They really needed to do it ala the Steelers (supposing they are actually eventually going to Tomlin's cover 2)

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I think that Maualuga might be a nice fit inside in a 3-4, because, as it stands, I think he's a bit of a liability in a sideline to sideline role. He could certainly be a righteous thumper if anyone wanted to drop a high draft pick on one.

aNYtitan
09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
From my point of view, I believe Maualuga is a sure fire first rounder. I could see him declaring after this season and he would probably be the second best MLB behind Dan Connor. From my perspective, and maybe its just me, but I think he can be the next Ray Lewis, with a little less agility, but with the same passion. I really hope Tennessee tags him since through 3 games, I haven't really seen much of a weakness on offense or defense. I also think he would be a much better fit in a 4-3 scheme, able to take control of the middle of the field

Hines
09-29-2007, 10:40 PM
if he comes out and he goes to the steelers i will be saying joey who because i believe he is more intimidating then porter and will be the most intimidating linebacker in the league

keylime_5
09-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, from what I gather James Laurinaitis is good friends with AJ Hawk who gives him a LOT of advice to understate, and has been told by him to stay his senior year, and his mother urges him immensely to get his degree. I think JL stays and is not in the 2008 draft, but the 2009 one instead. Rey and Connor will be the top 2 LBs picked with Rivers falling in the mix somewhere, maybe to Cincy, Denver, or Philly depending on how things shakeout and who needs a MLB or a WLB.

soybean
09-30-2007, 02:34 AM
he was amazing today. I was surprised that he was able to catch locker from behind, with locker running at full speed.

TacticaLion
09-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, Maualuga is an incredible player. Has solid speed, is a great tackler, hits hard as bricks and has amazing closing speed.

And, he dropped back into coverage most of the game. God, I want him in Detroit.

Addict
09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, Maualuga is an incredible player. Has solid speed, is a great tackler, hits hard as bricks and has amazing closing speed.

And, he dropped back into coverage most of the game. God, I want him in Detroit.

Rey = Patrick?

is he hawaiian or something?

TacticaLion
09-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Rey = Patrick?

is he hawaiian or something?

I think I want Rey more than I wanted Patrick... I really do.