PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long is the best run blocking OT since....

goblue8888
09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I know some of you really question him in pass protection but he is an absolutely domianating run blocker. I would have to go since Robert Gallery.

Crickett
09-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I was about to make a snide "well, look how Robert Gallery is doing in the NFL" comment, but in truth, I can not for the life of me figure out how he became such a bust. I remember on one of the networks (forgot which one) they were comparing game film of him in college and then in the pros and they discussed how he regressed since college.

D-Rod
09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I was about to make a snide "well, look how Robert Gallery is doing in the NFL" comment, but in truth, I can not for the life of me figure out how he became such a bust. I remember on one of the networks (forgot which one) they were comparing game film of him in college and then in the pros and they discussed how he regressed since college.

Going to the Raiders and having a million coaching and position changes might have had something to do with it.

Personally, I think Long's pass protection issues are over-rated. The comparison with Baker, the foremost pass protector in this draft, is illustrative. Fine, Long might not be as good as Baker, but as I see it that means that his QB is going to feel one or two more instances of pressure than he might with Baker there. But that is out-weighed, in my mind, by the fact that the run game would be so dominant with Long there that the D-line would already be on its heels, there'd be fewer 3rd and long situations, and the RE would hardly be feeling fresh in the 2nd half after having Long run at him all game.

A dominant run game is the best pass protection you can get... and besides, Long may not be elite in pass protection, but he's no slouch.

Addict
09-23-2007, 11:28 AM
as a prospect Gallery is one hell of a name to live up to. As a pro, not so much.

aheineken
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
As a Michigan fan, I feel that Long could be one of the best RTs the game has seen in a while. I'm not sure he has that quick first step to handle the NFLs elite pass rushers on the left side. He could probably be above average at LT, but not elite.

etk
09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
As a Michigan fan, I feel that Long could be one of the best RTs the game has seen in a while. I'm not sure he has that quick first step to handle the NFLs elite pass rushers on the left side. He could probably be above average at LT, but not elite.

I have a feeling that if he played LT he might end up looking like Bryant McKinnie did against Tamba Hali today. That leads me to my next point...he's the best run blocking OT since McKinnie/Gallery (depends how you look at them).

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-23-2007, 08:37 PM
He looks like Robert Gallery back in his college days

SuperKevin
09-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Jake Long is a hell of a blocking OT but I feel his pass blocking skills are below that of an elite LT prospect. Long will be a top 10 pick but he's probably a RT

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
He reminds me ALOT of Leonard Davis, which can be good and bad. Lots of potential just needs to work hard.

Apriori
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
He could end up in the same spot as Jeff Backus...average to above-average LT, but on a team with a solid LT he could be a dominant RT.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 10:54 PM
He reminds me of Leon Searcy.

etk
09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
He could end up in the same spot as Jeff Backus...average to above-average LT, but on a team with a solid LT he could be a dominant RT.

Jeff Backus is a LT.

sodar21
09-24-2007, 07:35 AM
He reminds me ALOT of Leonard Davis, which can be good and bad. Lots of potential just needs to work hard.

I don't want to base everything of the few games I've seen him in but he does look like a team leader. I was impressed by him in the Oregon game when he took one of his angry teammates aside and got in his face.

Apriori
09-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Jeff Backus is a LT.

I'm a Lions fan, I'm quite aware.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 12:48 PM
It's difficult to predict OL but I don't see Long as a great LT. He may play 15 years as a RT and make the pro bowl at that position but he will just be an adaquate LT if he forced to play there his whole career.

DMWSackMachine
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Anytime you have a prospect at Long's level, to say that "I don't see him ever being great because of _____ limitation" is just ridiculous.

Every prospect has his concerns, the softer spots of his game, and you can poke holes in anyones game. Montana was too small with too weak of an arm. Zach Thomas was too slow and too short. Shawne Merriman was too raw and lacked a true position. There were questions about Vince Young's release and accuracy, now they sound silly. Tiki fumbled too much and "couldn't handle an every down load".....its all ridiculous.

With prospects there are only questions. To say that Long will have to find a way to keep up with elite speed rushers off the edge and that he hasn't displayed top-notch footspeed and lateral quickness to this point is fair, that seems to be the knock on him--because, well, we have to point out something negative, don't we?--but if you were to compare just his lateral quickness and footspeed with every other tackle prospect in the nation, he would probably be in the top 10 among all draft-eligible prospects. But we call it his weak spot because its not as strong as the rest of his game.

Sure, its fair to say that it might be a problem for him at the next level, but to say that he won't ever be great because of it is just stupid. You don't have a consensus top 10 grade from every single scout in the country without having a (relatively) good shot to be a great player in the NFL. It just doesn't happen.

This is a problem every year with dozens of prospects, and it really gets on my nerves. The guy is still in his early 20s. To say that he won't be this or won't be that is very premature.