PDA

View Full Version : Here's why Colt Brennan is just a system QB

underscore
09-23-2007, 06:21 PM
He sat out with an ankle injury vs. a bad D-1AA team.

But, backups combined to go 25-48 for 363 yards and 5 TDs.

Yeah, Charleston Southern is bad. But, I just can't find any reason to believe Brennan is nothing more than a system QB.

Scott Wright
09-23-2007, 06:27 PM
D-Unit...

Calling D-Unit...

:)

neko4
09-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Well why should Hawaii play him against a team they know they can beat.
Plus the backups threw 2 picks too. And ya know how many Colt has thrown all year 1!
Graunke his backup has thrown 4 and the other guy only played against scrubs on a I-AA team
Way to exploit statistics

Gribble
09-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Didn't the backup throw 2 picks too?

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I have some concerns about Colt Brennan ... but it has less to do with system than it has to do with overall QB IQ and read/vision ability, which admittedly is hard to gauge due to the system.

TitanHope
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Brennan just has too much against him. For one, Woodson and Brohm are just better talents. Then, you must consider his age and his concerning history. And lastly, you have to factor in that the offense he's in lets him pass 60 times a game, which inflates his stats. Personally, I think he's the 6th best QB in this class from a pure prospect stand point. I think Eric Ainge and Matt Ryan grade better than him. He may end up higher than Henne, due to Chad's injury and not playing.

draftguru151
09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
52%, 7.5 ypa, 5:2 TD/INT.

77%, 9.5 ypa, 12:1 TD/INT.

I can see how those are the same. :/

Green Bay Scat
09-23-2007, 07:33 PM
can someone block these spam bots?

sodar21
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Reread that part in your post "against a bad D-1AA team".

etk
09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
So let me understand your logic. Any QB that plays well in a successful quarterback has no skill on his own. Let's say Peyton Manning or Brett Favre threw up similar statistics in that offense, would they be system QBs too? These system QB arguments are getting out of hand because people jump to conclusions without any substantial argument or evidence. You can't just give up on a prospect because of what team he plays for, any QB from this class could be throwing for Hawaii right now. The same argument would be applied to them in that instance. It's stupid. I know NFL GMs don't care about this bogus "argument". Kevin Kolb was one of the most underrated QBs in years (by the media), but Philly made him the 3rd QB in the draft (surprise). Alex Smith was a #1 pick. These "system QBs" do have talent, you know? Usually they're more mobile too, so that's actually a bonus in favor of system QBs.

hot route
09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
look at the completion % and INTs draftguru posted. the backup graunke has now thrown for 4 picks against two 1AA teams. also his % is significantly lower than brennan's. if you want to bring up numbers, learn how to compare them before your next bold proclamation.

geaux tigers
09-23-2007, 09:40 PM
look at the completion % and INTs draftguru posted. the backup graunke has now thrown for 4 picks against two 1AA teams. also his % is significantly lower than brennan's. if you want to bring up numbers, learn how to compare them before your next bold proclamation.

lets also remember that they are back-up qb's and didnt have the advantage of all the reps in practice with the 1st team and yrs of experience as brennan.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
So let me understand your logic. Any QB that plays well in a successful quarterback has no skill on his own. Let's say Peyton Manning or Brett Favre threw up similar statistics in that offense, would they be system QBs too? These system QB arguments are getting out of hand because people jump to conclusions without any substantial argument or evidence. You can't just give up on a prospect because of what team he plays for, any QB from this class could be throwing for Hawaii right now. The same argument would be applied to them in that instance. It's stupid. I know NFL GMs don't care about this bogus "argument". Kevin Kolb was one of the most underrated QBs in years (by the media), but Philly made him the 3rd QB in the draft (surprise). Alex Smith was a #1 pick. These "system QBs" do have talent, you know? Usually they're more mobile too, so that's actually a bonus in favor of system QBs.

Kolb, Beck, Smith.. All Considered System QB's and there's 2 2nd rounders and a #1 overall pick..

I think Brennan is the #3 QB in this draft.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
You just made a case for your self as much as you made a case against yourself, Colt Brennan puts those numbers up against D-I defenses in 1 HALF with a better completion percentage and against good D's one game. This guy did it against Charleston Southern, I hope he can do that against Charleston their D-II, otherwise he has no business playing D-I (Not saying Brennan is automatic 1st Round Material but he definently should get a honest look). Watch Brennan play before you critic him, because you can tell hes special by the way he plays.

BuddyCHRIST
09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
i use to think the same thing till I really watched him. While the system does still make me cautious he has all the physical tools and looks like a natural QB back there. Actually watch him and don't just throw him in with other system QB's. Just because other players play well in a system that might not do well in another system doesnt make him any worse.

YAYareaRB
09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Talk about not supporting your rants..

D-Unit
09-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Found this thread a little late, but it seems like the guys who have a clue on grading a player seemed to counter the original point pretty good.

I was at the game on Saturday night and let me just say... Everyone missed Colt. It got so bad that the chants became loud for his support. The crowd was chanting, "WE WANT COLT! WE WANT COLT!" The QB play in the first half was so pathetic. Tyler Gruanke started the game off on an interception on Hawaii's first play. As the half continued, I was just sitting there thinking... "just wait till I get home and type my comments on this game to my NFLDC buddies... this will show them that Colt isn't a system QB and not anyone can step in and do what he's doing." Because it was truly pathetic. Gruanke has been with the team for 3 years. He knows the system. 21-10 at the half against Charleston Southern. C'mon now. That is sad. Brennan had 5 TDs and 350 yards 2 min into the second quarter against the last AA team we played. Graunke was totally off and Hawaii couldn't even convert easy 3rd downs and June reverted to a running game which was a total sign that things were going bad.

The second half was all Hawaii because we had a kickoff return to start the half, the defense intercepted the ball and returned it for a TD and Charleston was totally in disarray after that. Graunke made a couple of good enough throws to score, but in the fourth all of our 3rd stringers were out there and they didn't just roll over as they were all hungry for playing time and trying to prove their worth. Our 3rd string QB threw for 2 TDs before kneeling and running out the time.

If people will stop basing judgements off stats and watch the game once in a while before trying to make dramatic statements that aren't true, then I can respect that.

I'll tell you one thing, if people are calling Tyler Graunke a Heisman Candidate and pro prospect next season when he is a starter, then you can say "it's the system". I promise you, that won't be happening.

Billingsley26
09-24-2007, 08:47 AM
All this talk about system QB's make me bring back up Jared Zabransky!! Is Boise the same without him? I thought that JAred was a product of the system.

skeet3r
09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
This threads really stupid.

The back-up coming in and doing good means the compelte opposite -- that this offense is just THAT good, but then again, Charleston Southern has a football team?

D-Unit
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
This threads really stupid.

The back-up coming in and doing good means the compelte opposite -- that this offense is just THAT good, but then again, Charleston Southern has a football team?
What game did you watch? What back up did good???

skeet3r
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Sure at the beginning of the game he made couple bad throws, but after that he settled in and did fine.

D-Unit
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Sure at the beginning of the game he made couple bad throws, but after that he settled in and did fine.
You obviously did not watch the game. More like he made a couple of good throws.

neko4
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I hear ya D-Unit, 300 yards sounds good in the box score, but think about all the things that coulda happen to get it to 300, blown coverge, miss tackle, screen pass
Also its hard for us continential US people to watch Hawaii since theyre not always on and its ussually at like midnite

D-Unit
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I hear ya D-Unit, 300 yards sounds good in the box score, but think about all the things that coulda happen to get it to 300, blown coverge, miss tackle, screen pass
Also its hard for us continential US people to watch Hawaii since theyre not always on and its ussually at like midnite
...and not nationally televised. I bet no one here saw the game.

smittyjs
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Biggest think i like about Brennan is that he can by time in the pocket, quick release, and doesn't make to many turn overs. IMO everyone is playing in sometime of system so that isn't huge IMO.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2007, 12:54 PM

I completely agree. If Brennan didn't have a pro arm, then it is fair to say he is a product of his system. However, when a QB attends a school famous for it's system but has a pro arm, pro scouts aren't going to care about the system he plays in. Brennan is a solid prospect because he has pro measurables, it doesn't mean he'll succeed or fail, but it will get him drafted pretty high.

D-Unit
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes. Great point.

Also, people don't seem to share the same sentiment when it comes to system RBs. If they are on a team that runs the ball 40+ times a game, nobody says his stats are padded because of the system he plays in.

skeet3r
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
You obviously did not watch the game. More like he made a couple of good throws.

Please don't tell me what I did and didn't watch, because I did watch that game and obviously YOU didn't.

On quarterback Colt Brennan's status and the play of backup Tyler Graunke
"Colt (Brennan) could have played Saturday night, but I didn't want him to. Colt makes the offense run smoothly but so does Tyler (Graunke). It was a little frustrating for me to watch the tape. Of the 36 throws that Tyler made, all of the incompletions with the exception of three were receiver errors. He played pretty well. I think when he looks at (the tape) this afternoon, he'll say it was a pretty good (performance). He had a bad throw on the first play of the game, another one on their sidelines, and then threw one in the dirt. Everything else he threw perfectly. It is too bad - I didn't hear the booing - it kind of appalls me that that would happen to one of our kids. I just told (Tyler) during the game he was doing really well

Tyler DID have a decent game. That is from JJ, and he has alot more credibility than you, IMHO.

http://www2.hawaiiantelmedia.com/
You can watch pretty much all Hawaii games online, live, there for $10 a game. I'm from Illinois and i'm a diehard Hawaii fan and it's awesome to watch my favorite team play.

D-Unit
09-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Please don't tell me what I did and didn't watch, because I did watch that game and obviously YOU didn't.

Tyler DID have a decent game. That is from JJ, and he has alot more credibility than you, IMHO.

http://www2.hawaiiantelmedia.com/
You can watch pretty much all Hawaii games online, live, there for $10 a game. I'm from Illinois and i'm a diehard Hawaii fan and it's awesome to watch my favorite team play.
I'm not about to criticize you since you are a Hawaii fan, but I still have a hard time believing you saw the game and came to the conclusion that Tyler had a good game. What did you expect June Jones to say??? The truth if it makes his player look bad? Tyler himself admitted that he played bad. Now that's first hand.

"It shouldn't have been 21-10 at the half," Graunke said. "It should have been 51-10 at the half. We didn't execute. I didn't execute. I would have loved to have come out and taken the life out of them early. It takes the life out if you can pick them apart early. We didn't do that..."

Of the boos, Graunke said: "I probably deserved it. I would expect us to come out every Saturday for a home game and put up points early and put teams like that away. I didn't do that. It took me a little while. ... That's how football is. If you're not performing you're going to hear it from the fans. That's cool. I've seen worse than that."

Dude, I was in the stadium and it was loud when we started yelling, "WE WANT COLT! WE WANT COLT!"

Tyler was pathetic in the first half.

1st Quarter
First possession, first play - Interception
Second possession - Passing TD
Third possession, 3 plays - Punt
Fourth possession, 3 plays - Punt

...score was 7-7. Fans were getting balistic!

Fifth possession, 7 plays - Rushing TD (HI doesn't get rushing TDS unless it's a QB sneak. In this case, Tyler's play was so bad, we reverted to the run).

2nd Quarter
Sixth possession, 3 plays - Fumble (offense totally out of sync w/Tyler)
Seventh possession, 8 plays - Punt (now the chants for Colt are LOUD!)
Eigth possession, coming off an INT, 3 plays - Rushing TD (another rushing TD, do you see the trend?)
Ninth possession, 2 plays - Interception (At this point I'm boiling in my chair)
Tenth possession, nothing happens - Clock runs out for the Half.

Score 21-10 against Charleston Southern. Pathetic.

3rd Quarter
Less than a minute and a half Hawaii scores 2 TDs, a kickoff return and an INT return for a TD. The game is out of hand and Tyler finally gets to pick on a team that is feeling sorry for themselves.

It was pathetic and EVERYONE who watched the game wanted Colt to be in there. Tyler has to get better or he will get passed up by Inoke Funaki who has been playing really good when he's been in the game.

scrylla
10-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Looks like his backup came in and played just as well as him in the 'system'.

D-Unit
10-07-2007, 06:00 AM
Looks like you're clueless once again.

big daddy russ
10-07-2007, 07:19 AM
...If people will stop basing judgements off stats and watch the game once in a while before trying to make dramatic statements that aren't true, then I can respect that.

I'll tell you one thing, if people are calling Tyler Graunke a Heisman Candidate and pro prospect next season when he is a starter, then you can say "it's the system". I promise you, that won't be happening.

Great points. Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Jeff Garcia were all system QBs. All three played in the same offense and all put up amazing numbers, but only two of those guys are mentioned in Hall of Fame conversations.

Did he play just as well or did he have just as good numbers? Big difference between the two.

skeet3r
10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
TG played amazing last night...

22.4 ypc? 81% Completion, 3 TD's?

Primetime21
10-07-2007, 03:44 PM
What I am really looking forward to, is for all the passes Colt has thrown the past two years is it going to help them or hurt him.

Scouts had 4 years of film on Quinn and a quarterback friendly system, the Scouts tore him apart. Quinn then went from consideration for being #1 to mid twenties.

Then with Jay Cutler being behind in all most all of his college games he threw the ball 40-50 times and the scouts liked what they say and he flew up the draft board.

I think Colt will drop to early to mid 2nd round. I can see the Falcons picking him up in the 2nd and him doing terrific in ATL.

geaux tigers
10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Brennan wont be a round 1-2 QB. Bank on it. And no.. getting him in round 3+ is not a steal.

Brent
10-07-2007, 03:53 PM
TG played amazing last night...

22.4 ypc? 81% Completion, 3 TD's?
because Utah State is such a juggernaut

geaux tigers
10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
because Utah State is such a juggernaut

I think what skeet is saying is that Colt is very much a system QB. It becomes apparent when the backup qb comes in and puts up lights out numbers too.

Staubach12
10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I think what skeet is saying is that Colt is very much a system QB. It becomes apparent when the backup qb comes in and puts up lights out numbers too.

But evaluating players isn't all about stats! Evaluating QBs is looking at the physical tools, mental ability, and intangibles of any given player, and Colt Brennan has what it takes to play QB on the next level, when you watch him on tape. On a play-by-play basis, and when evaluating him with the system in mind, he's still a very very good QB. By the way, Tyler Graunke has thrown 5 INTs to Brennan's 6 in 136 less attempts. Plus, Brennan has a 13% better completion percentage. So, don't even try and say you can plug in a bum off the street and get great stats. Brennan is a special player.

Brent
10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I was commenting on the fact that it was against Utah State. I am not surprised when any QB does well against Utah State, a team who has yet to win a game.

Bama37228
10-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Keep him away from the dorms and womens

awfullyquiet
10-07-2007, 09:59 PM
matt ryan.

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 01:41 AM
I think Brennan's stock has taken a hit this year with the injury issues affirming concerns about his build. As I have said over and over again, he should have come out last year because his stock will never be higher than it was.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 02:40 AM
I wonder if Dwight Lowery should have come out, i kept tellin him last year he should come out, and he was thinking he should, cause hes not a big fan of SJSU, and he knew they werent gonna be as good as last. Do you think he will be drafted Higher? His combine numbers would be about the same, as he didnt do much after he broke his jaw this offseason

D-Unit
10-08-2007, 03:01 AM
I think Brennan's stock has taken a hit this year with the injury issues affirming concerns about his build. As I have said over and over again, he should have come out last year because his stock will never be higher than it was.
So if he was heavier, that would've made him not have an ankle injury? I don't know what you mean. His height isn't a hinderance to NFL standards. While not prototypical, he's not short by any means.

Perhaps he should've come out last year for his own selfish financial reasons. There's no question that that weighed heavily on his mind. At the same time, I don't think he wishes that he made a different decision. He showed by coming back, how much more mature he's become in that one single act. He's a selfless person. He always talks about the State of Hawaii and the University first anytime he is in the limelight. I'm sure he knew he wouldn't duplicate last year's stats. But stats don't make him the player that he is... and I'm sure he knows that too. All he talks about is winning the next game. The University of Hawaii has NEVER enjoyed the type of success that it is enjoying in it's entire history. Fact of the matter is Hawaii's football program would not have had this if Colt didn't return. That is truth. He selflessly gave up the riches of the NFL for the benefit of the Hawaii football program. Any smart man would not question his character. He's done a lot of maturing and growing up in his time at UH. People who pass on him because of his history concerns will only regret passing on him in the end.

Colt is a living legend here in Hawaii. He will never have to worry about finances living here even if he doesn't make it in the NFL. BUT, he will make it regardless of where he is drafted. He exudes confidence. He's got that "it" factor. He'll make it happen. He's too talented and smart not to. He's the next Tony Romo. Questionable size, awkward delivery yet highly accurate arm, gun slinger, can throw on the run, excellent scrambler in the pocket, highly confident, teammates love him, has that "it" factor and is small school prospect.

Who's to say, it would've been better for him to declare last year? His stock was all over the place. In the end, nobody knows where he would've been taken for fact. There is only guestimation.

At least this year, he will have the Senior Bowl to show his stuff. His stock is not high enough where he can afford not to participate. Scouts will have a better guage on him after that week. All the system and competition talk will be put to rest. People will know if he was or wasn't as good or as bad as advertised.

Let's get one thing straight, he's always had more doubters than supporters. The doubters that keep making these types of threads need to realize that they are apart of the majority and are not some "Ooh look at me, I know everything that's wrong about Brennan, let me tell you about it". There will be a hundred more of these threads before the draft on Brennan and especially as Hawaii keeps their undefeated season alive.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 03:17 AM
So if he was heavier, that would've made him not have an ankle injury? I don't know what you mean. His height isn't a hinderance to NFL standards. While not prototypical, he's not short by any means.

Perhaps he should've come out last year for his own selfish financial reasons. There's no question that that weighed heavily on his mind. At the same time, I don't think he wishes that he made a different decision. He showed by coming back, how much more mature he's become in that one single act. He's a selfless person. He always talks about the State of Hawaii and the University first anytime he is in the limelight. I'm sure he knew he wouldn't duplicate last year's stats. But stats don't make him the player that he is... and I'm sure he knows that too. All he talks about is winning the next game. The University of Hawaii has NEVER enjoyed the type of success that it is enjoying in it's entire history. Fact of the matter is Hawaii's football program would not have had this if Colt didn't return. That is truth. He selflessly gave up the riches of the NFL for the benefit of the Hawaii football program. Any smart man would not question his character. He's done a lot of maturing and growing up in his time at UH. People who pass on him because of his history concerns will only regret passing on him in the end.

Colt is a living legend here in Hawaii. He will never have to worry about finances living here even if he doesn't make it in the NFL. BUT, he will make it regardless of where he is drafted. He exudes confidence. He's got that "it" factor. He'll make it happen. He's too talented and smart not to. He's the next Tony Romo. Questionable size, awkward delivery yet highly accurate arm, gun slinger, can throw on the run, excellent scrambler in the pocket, highly confident, teammates love him, has that "it" factor and is small school prospect.

Who's to say, it would've been better for him to declare last year? His stock was all over the place. In the end, nobody knows where he would've been taken for fact. There is only guestimation.

At least this year, he will have the Senior Bowl to show his stuff. His stock is not high enough where he can afford not to participate. Scouts will have a better guage on him after that week. All the system and competition talk will be put to rest. People will know if he was or wasn't as good or as bad as advertised.

Let's get one thing straight, he's always had more doubters than supporters. The doubters that keep making these types of threads need to realize that they are apart of the majority and are not some "Ooh look at me, I know everything that's wrong about Brennan, let me tell you about it". There will be a hundred more of these threads before the draft on Brennan and especially as Hawaii keeps their undefeated season alive.

i love you?

also i wanted this sig for one reason, both Colt Brennan and Jerard Rabb are ballers
http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00844/99/77/844147799_l.png

10-08-2007, 10:31 AM
heres why colt brennan isnt just a system QB: hes got an accurate arm, fluid mobility and a quick release similar to the great dan marino in his prime. not saying hes dan marino but not just some dummy with no talent in a stupid scheme that some ppl make him out to be. if brennan falls to the later parts of the first round like marino did hes gonna make some teams pay the same way.

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Just an F.Y.I., from those who I've spoken to the consensus seems to be that Brennan is more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder (some even think Day Two).

Personally I don't agree with that. For me he's a late first.

RyanLeaf#1
10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Just an F.Y.I., from those who I've spoken to the consensus seems to be that Brennan is more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder (some even think Day Two).

Personally I don't agree with that. For me he's a late first.

Late first? Hes nowhere to be found in the 1st round in your latest mock draft. Or do you mean late day 1? Has he moved up lately with 5 ints against Idaho, and 1 touchdown in the first half against an 0-6 Utah State team? I cant see that happening. His stock has to be going down.

OzTitan
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I never understood this logic. Maybe Brennan is a system QB, but a backup coming in and playing almost as well doesn't mean a thing - first of all, maybe he would have went significantly better, but secondly, how would you expect a totally non-system QB to play in that system? How much more realistically better can you get than Brennan's stats?

It *could* be all the system, but there's no real way to prove it yet.

Turtlepower
10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I think Brennen's stock will all depend on if he gets an invite to the Senior Bowl and is able to perform well there.

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Late first? Hes nowhere to be found in the 1st round in your latest mock draft. Or do you mean late day 1? Has he moved up lately with 5 ints against Idaho, and 1 touchdown in the first half against an 0-6 Utah State team? I cant see that happening. His stock has to be going down.

I personally have him graded out as a late 1st, although I definitely reserve the right to adjust that upward or downward as I see more of him and the draft process continues. As I've said all along he's going to be one of the toughest prospects to evaluate and potentially one of the most controversial in a long time.

D-Unit
10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I think his draft position all just depends on need. This year, I think the need for QB will actually be quite high with Woodson, Brohm, Ryan, Henne and Brennan all going before Round 3. I can see some teams grading him as a Day 2 prospect based off need, but not based off talent. Like the Raiders wouldn't be spending a first day pick on QB.

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I can see some teams grading him as a Day 2 prospect based off need, but not based off talent.

I don't know...

As I've said I like him and feel he's a 1st rounder but just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate there are a ton of questions marks with him:

* Character
* Delivery
* Body / Build
* System QB

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't know...

As I've said I like him and feel he's a 1st rounder but just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate there are a ton of questions marks with him:

* Character
* Delivery
* Body / Build
* System QB

everyone says character, but what has he done recently? i mean everyone knows the colorado incedent were he was drunk and the girls roommate told on him, but hes been clean since right? i mean he looks like a total stoner, but that doesnt mean anything.

Turtlepower
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
everyone says character, but what has he done recently? i mean everyone knows the colorado incedent were he was drunk and the girls roommate told on him, but hes been clean since right? i mean he looks like a total stoner, but that doesnt mean anything.

With the new comish, any character problems are a concern.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 01:51 PM
With the new comish, any character problems are a concern.

but something that happened 4 years ago? with nothing happening since? i mean everyone makes mistakes, and drinking is a normal thing, so i just dont see the problem, now if he kept doing it would be, but it was just once, so HAS he done something else?

Turtlepower
10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
but something that happened 4 years ago? with nothing happening since? i mean everyone makes mistakes, and drinking is a normal thing, so i just dont see the problem, now if he kept doing it would be, but it was just once, so HAS he done something else?

It did get him kicked off the team, more or less.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 02:10 PM
It did get him kicked off the team, more or less.

he left cause of the other things that were happening there, with the whole woman kicker and rape(?) harrasment charges, i mean that would make it even worse looking, so it was a mutual release, its not like he was banging the coachs daughter and drank a 20 pack every night. If everyone was judge on one event, the entire NFL would be suspended, as someone has done something wrong at one time or another, people can change, and from what he did, it was a one time thing, hes a good kid.

SuperKevin
10-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I honestly think people put way too much into Brennan's character issues. he was an 18 year old kid doing what 18 year old kids do. Now if he had done it as a senior it'd be a whole different issue

D-Unit
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
In a small state like Hawaii where everybody is either an aunty, uncle or cousin, it's pretty hard to not know a guy or know somebody that knows him. Especially someone in the limelight like Colt. If he's some bad character to worry about, he's sure fooled the entire state. Maybe a career in acting isn't out the question if that's the case.

If anyone wants to question his incident in Colorado, Colt is always willing to discuss it. He always has discussed it, even when asked by ESPN who would broadcast it all over the world. Now if that's not manning up to your mistake, then I don't know what is.

WCH
10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know...

* Character
* Delivery
* Body / Build
* System QB

Don't forget age.

Personally, I don't think he's a system QB, and I'm comfortable with his character and delivery. I'm concerned about his build, and don't like the fact that he'll be -- at least twenty-five years old before he takes an NFL snap. This means that, on average, he'll have six years before his skills start to decline. The average QB hits his stride in the fourth year in the NFL, when he'll be 28, and starts to decline at 31. That only gives you three seasons of Brennan at his peak, if he conforms to the norm.

It's similar to John Beck last year. He's not Chris Weinke, but age is still something to look at when evaluating him as a prospect. Would Beck have made it to the second round if he had been 21? We'll never know, but I'm guessing he wouldn't have.

no love
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I think with quarterbacks you are much less concerned with declining physical abilities mainly because they don't decline THAT much. As you get older you definitely slow down a bit, but for many people its easier to gain mass which actually will help him fill out.

Colt was never a qb who lives and dies by his athleticism anyways. His greatest attribute seems to be his accuracy which usually just gets better as he will refine his mechanics.

It's not like RB where there is generally a huge drop-off after 30, many qbs in the league are actually reaching their peak in terms of performance at 28-30ish some guys like Rich Gannon become great qbs after they start to lose their athletic abilities and rely more on their decision making.