PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still wanna take shots @ Romo?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Most everyone on this board knows of what I'm talking about. Indeed, most have been guilty of doing it at some point during the off-season.

"NFL defenses figured him out"

"He was a one-month wonder"

"Overrated"

"He really only had four or five good games"

"There's no way he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl"

"He was horrible during the last month of the season"

and, of course, the newest and funniest member

"He has never faced a really good defense"

So who wants to come clean?

3 games. 3 wins. NFC passing leader. Just 2 TOs. Countless broken ankles.

Listen, I get it. People were f-ed off because Romomania was shoved down their throats. His hype was loud and obnoxious, and came on the heels of a mighty brief run of excellence. The backlash that came was to be expected, at least to a certain extent.

However, the foolish--and mostly false--anti-Romo rhetoric that went around here and across the net has now been put into perspective. I never expected anyone to kneel down and worship him as the second coming, nor do I/we think that he has no flaws. But it was pretty obvious, even after last season, that Romo was a very good QB that had an excellent chance of being a franchise-type for the Dallas Cowboys.

Of course, arguing against people who have made up their minds based upon a collage of NFL Live segments and agenda driven opinion columns is practically useless, so all that the faithful had as recourse was to sit and wait for the time when the rubber would hit the road. That day is today.

I think its only fair that all the extremely outspoken critics come in and eat their share of crow for their transgressions. Of course, the road ahead holds many pitfalls and mistakes for Tony, but I think at this point that it can no longer be argued that he was a flash in the pan, or that he did not deserve the recognition that he has received at times in the past.

Geo
09-24-2007, 01:57 AM
http://www.coloradocrush.com/resources/img/news/footballhall-%20large.jpg

I don't even know why we're waiting, put Casper in there now imo.

Windy
09-24-2007, 02:01 AM
once he breaks up with kelly underwood then maybe people will like him. until then.

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
http://www.coloradocrush.com/resources/img/news/footballhall-%20large.jpg

I don't even know why we're waiting, put Casper in there now imo.

That's funny, because most everyone here wanted to kick him to the

http://www.atpm.com/11.09/textures/images/curb-leaves-420.jpg

not too long ago.

How about we just go in between and admit that the naysayers were FOS? Fair enough?

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 02:07 AM
I want to take a picture with his bust.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 02:13 AM
"He really only had four or five good games"

"There's no way he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl"

"He was horrible during the last month of the season"

I don't see how Romo doing well now changes any of this. Tony Romo has stepped up and become a very good, fringe top flight QB. That doesn't change the fact that he made the pro-bowl based on a few nationally televised performances and the dearth of lack of quality Quarterbacks in the NFC and in general didn't look good at the end of the season. He was a question mark heading into the season and has thus far answered the challenge. That doesn't mean that those statements were or are wrong.

BlindSite
09-24-2007, 02:32 AM
I tend to agree with shiver, even if he is a falcon's fan, he is right. ;) j/k

Romo wasn't that great last year, but has improved vastly these few games.

jbsg02
09-24-2007, 02:39 AM
I think going through an offseason after he has seen the NFL and knows he was going to be the starter was a BIG help

thule
09-24-2007, 02:39 AM
I tend to agree with shiver, even if he is a falcon's fan, he is right. ;) j/k

Romo wasn't that great last year, but has improved vastly these few games.

He did have the 3rd highest QB rating at the end of last year with QB's with atleast 325 attempts...behind only Peyton Manning and Drew Brees....I would say thats good company.

BlindSite
09-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Granted, but the other factors were still correct, he played poorly in a number of situations and didn't deserve to go to the probowl.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 02:47 AM
He did have the 3rd highest QB rating at the end of last year with QB's with atleast 325 attempts...behind only Peyton Manning and Drew Brees....I would say thats good company.

Not to mention the fact that our line struggled greatly last year and TO left a lot of easy yards/TD's on the table with his league leading number of drops. Kinda like Crayton tonight. I don't really care what others think though. People who follow our team knew last year that Romo was a very good QB who had a bright future ahead of him.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Granted, but the other factors were still correct, he played poorly in a number of situations and didn't deserve to go to the probowl.
So who deserved to be there in his place?

Geo
09-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Let's see what happens once defensive coaches have the first four weeks' worth of game film. That doesn't just apply to Romo, but everyone in the league.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Let's see what happens once defensive coaches have the first four weeks' worth of game film. That doesn't just apply to Romo, but everyone in the league.

Yeah I agree. It's a long season and anything can happen. But it's really not difficult to see how good a QB is by just watching him. Romo has a lot of talent and a ton of unquantifiable intangibles that every team wants in its QB. Regardless of what D-coordinators come up with to try and stop the Cowboys, Romo is a top-tier QB in this league at this point in time, imo. He'll certainly suffer his share of struggles this year, but everybody does.

Addict
09-24-2007, 03:41 AM
Romo is doing well, good for him.

He still had no business going to the pro bowl last year. Neither did Vince Young by the way

BrownsTown
09-24-2007, 05:46 AM
IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIM THAN CROWN HIM!

But his name still rhymes with ****.

OzTitan
09-24-2007, 07:24 AM
I always liked his style. I think he'll always be an on-off type of QB that could have a really bad day out of nowhere but it won't be because of a lack of effort, he seems very fiery and determined which is always good to have at QB plus he clearly has a great arm.

As for last year's Pro Bowl, QB injuries were the reason for both Romo and VY really. It was a depleted field particularly for the AFC. I mean it was basically Romo vs Grossman and VY vs Losman from what I remember.

JF4
09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Romo has one of the best pocket presence's in the league. It was amazing what he was doing to escape the rush of the Bears last night.

BX
09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
As much as I like Romo, everytime I see him, all I can think is, "What a gooberish lookin' guy."

He has big ears too.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I find it interesting that the Cowboys still haven't extended his contract yet.

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
He's the real deal, I don't question that.

But I don't see how this warrants him being a worthy PB candidate last year. That was still off base, because 6 games doesn't warrant pro bowl honors.

Jeff Garcia was more deserving last year.

But yeah, he's the real deal.

ks_perfection
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Only 6 QBs deserved to go to the Pro Bowl last year. 4 from the AFC, River, Palmer, Brady, Manning and 2 from the NFC Bulger, Brees.

LonghornsLegend
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
ummm, who was snubbed of a pro bowl visit then last yr that was an NFC qb...you guys act like it was other guys sitting at home who had earned a visit and didnt get in...Maybe Vince ill buy that, but romo did step in, took a team who was considered done into the playoffs, and he struggled some games, expected for any first yr starter, but his great games over shadowed the bad ones...

but why didnt he deserve to go to the pro bowl? id like to know two qbs who deserved to go over him, otherwise he was obviously deservingly

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 12:57 PM
ummm, who was snubbed of a pro bowl visit then last yr that was an NFC qb...you guys act like it was other guys sitting at home who had earned a visit and didnt get in...Maybe Vince ill buy that, but romo did step in, took a team who was considered done into the playoffs, and he struggled some games, expected for any first yr starter, but his great games over shadowed the bad ones...

I have never seen a backup come in after the starter plays poor or gets injured and follow it up with a Super Bowl win... Never, ever, ever, ever. =D

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 01:02 PM

but why didnt he deserve to go to the pro bowl? id like to know two qbs who deserved to go over him, otherwise he was obviously deservingly

Jeff Garcia did it with more games under his resume, with less offensive talent around him (skill positionwise), plus led his team a division title, not just a wildcard. He was more deserving last year.

So Id say Bulger, and Garcia. Hassellbeck played well after he came back from injury too, if you compare Romo's body of work last year to Hasselbeck's, it wasn't all that better if better at all. And in those situations, you give the veteran the benefit of the doubt.

3 Cowboys shouldn't have been PBers last year. Roy Williams, Romo, and Flozell Adams. The 3 Cowboys who were deserving in my eyes were Owens, Ware and Newman. Newman got snubbed.

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, here. The argument about whether or not he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl last year is a completely different one.

My point is that he has been a whipping boy all offseason based upon a faulty premise. The guy had a 95 passer rating for crying out loud. That alone speaks for itself. He led the league in YPA and comp%, two of the most crucial stats for a QB. He was truly unbelievable for 6 games....and then he was merely "up and down" for the last 4. Yet, somehow, people were using that period (over which his passer rating would still have ranked in the middle of the league) to say that he didn't have much of a future in the league, or that he wasn't that good.

The guy had a great season. Sure, it was only 10 and 1/2 games, but it was an awesome season. The worst part was that the team's late season collapse, which was primarily attributable to the defense's horrid December play, was laid at Romo's feet. What happens to a QB when he is faced with a double digit lead in the second half of games? His efficiency usually goes down, and his mistakes go up.

Whether or not you think he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl (and he did, as soon as you can name me a quality alternative, then I'll begin to take your point seriously) there is no doubt that all the doom-and-gloom predictions for his future were unfounded. It would be an act of immaturity to contend anything different.

Freddy G
09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Damn shame he plays for the cowgirls, that's all. He is the style of QB that i prefer most (mobile, gunslinger (ala Brett Favre)).

Anyway, i will wait to take my shots when Brady Quinn becomes the best QB in the league....;) (or at least better than Romo)

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I think Tony Romo is an above-average QB and has certainly played better than my expectations, but the problem with Romo that I have is every Cowboys fan thinking that Tony Romo is god. If Cowboys fans weren't so crazy about Romo I would be fine with him, but they talked about him being a top-5 QB after a little more than half a season as a starter. That is just ridiculous.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Jeff Garcia did it with more games under his resume, with less offensive talent around him (skill positionwise), plus led his team a division title, not just a wildcard. He was more deserving last year.

So Id say Bulger, and Garcia. Hassellbeck played well after he came back from injury too, if you compare Romo's body of work last year to Hasselbeck's, it wasn't all that better if better at all. And in those situations, you give the veteran the benefit of the doubt.

3 Cowboys shouldn't have been PBers last year. Roy Williams, Romo, and Flozell Adams. The 3 Cowboys who were deserving in my eyes were Owens, Ware and Newman. Newman got snubbed.

Yeah I agree Newman got snubbed for sure. And Flozell and Roy had no business being there. But Garcia over Romo? Garcia only played in 8 games and their ratings were nearly identical. People knock Romo's appearance because he didn't play the full season. And I'm not so sure that our skill players were so much better than theirs. TO left a ton of production on the table. A lot of great plays by Romo were flushed down the drain. I think the disparity between the two o-lines is greater and more meaningful. Garcia had the easier job, imo, and didn't look definitively better than Romo. Wow, the team went 4-2 under Garcia last year. Brian Westbrook deserves more credit for those wins than Garcia does. That's who he leaned on. Hell, AJ Feeley looked just as good in that offense. I think part of the reason so many people felt that Romo deserved a pro-bowl bid was that we were winning games because of him. He wasn't losing games for us. Our defense, offensive line, conservative play calling and TO's hands were. No way did Garcia deserve it more than Romo last year. Are you serious about Hasselbeck? Being a veteran is meaningless. That's what gets guys like Roy and Flozell in there undeservedly. Romo was better. If Hasselbeck deserved it over Romo, then you should have no problem with Roy being in there. Just an off year for an established vet, right? And Bulger was in there, deservedly.

VoteLynnSwan
09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
once Brett Favre retires, John Madden's man crush shifts to Tony Romo... he was already gushing about him last night comparing him to Favre.

Ward
09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
once Brett Favre retires, John Madden's man crush shifts to Tony Romo... he was already gushing about him last night comparing him to Favre.

Madden will be long dead before that happens. Hell, Romo will have probably come and gone as well. The NFL will have to fold before Favre retires, and then he's just going to roam the country in a truck looking for pickup games.

The 3 Cowboys who were deserving in my eyes were Owens, Ware and Newman. Newman got snubbed.

No Gurode, Witten, or McBriar? How dare you.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I think Tony Romo is an above-average QB and has certainly played better than my expectations, but the problem with Romo that I have is every Cowboys fan thinking that Tony Romo is god. If Cowboys fans weren't so crazy about Romo I would be fine with him, but they talked about him being a top-5 QB after a little more than half a season as a starter. That is just ridiculous.

Well I wasn't one of those people, but can you blame them? How many QB's come into the league and look like a top 5 QB in half a season? We beat the super bowl champs with this guy at the helm. How would you feel if you had the statue lining up under center and then all of a sudden you have a real QB winning games for you? You must really hate VY (isagod). At least the majority of Romo's accolades have been deserved.

JK17
09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, here. The argument about whether or not he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl last year is a completely different one.

My point is that he has been a whipping boy all offseason based upon a faulty premise. The guy had a 95 passer rating for crying out loud. That alone speaks for itself. He led the league in YPA and comp%, two of the most crucial stats for a QB. He was truly unbelievable for 6 games....and then he was merely "up and down" for the last 4. Yet, somehow, people were using that period (over which his passer rating would still have ranked in the middle of the league) to say that he didn't have much of a future in the league, or that he wasn't that good.

The guy had a great season. Sure, it was only 10 and 1/2 games, but it was an awesome season. The worst part was that the team's late season collapse, which was primarily attributable to the defense's horrid December play, was laid at Romo's feet. What happens to a QB when he is faced with a double digit lead in the second half of games? His efficiency usually goes down, and his mistakes go up.

Whether or not you think he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl (and he did, as soon as you can name me a quality alternative, then I'll begin to take your point seriously) there is no doubt that all the doom-and-gloom predictions for his future were unfounded. It would be an act of immaturity to contend anything different.

I don't know if he was so much of a whipping boy as you think he was. A lot of people, including myself, said they wanted to see him prove more, because there were times he looked shaky last year, and he only had a limited amount of games. He has looked great this year so far, no doubting that. But people just wanted to see him prove more, rather then annoint him immediatley. Of course there are a couple people who would doom him without a shot, thats the nature of how things work, just like people would readily crown him before he deserved to be.. But I don't think it was ridiculous to want to wait a little more before saying anything. And I would hardly say he was the whipping boy, many QBs were much more criticized then he was.

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM

:|

I'm shocked that you would make that contention, really. Romo's passer rating was nearly identical to Garcia's, so that argument is sixes. However, the PRIMARY contention in against Romo is that he didn't log a full season of work. Well, Garcia didn't even log half a season! Garcia was 5-1 in his games played....but Romo was exactly the same through is first 6, and was more impressive statistically in doing so.

But aside from all that, I am stunned that you would try to make the point that Garcia did more with less. I know you specified "skill position" talent, but your point is the same either way. He did more with less. But that's ridiculous considering that Garcia had possibly the most versatile and dangerous RB in the league behind him, and an O-line that was flat dominant down the stretch. That team won by running the football and protecting the ball. Garcia made very few plays by himself. Contrast that with Dallas' line that was disintegrating right before our eyes as the season wore on--with our RG being a shell of a man at the end--and there is no way you can make that claim. Add in the fact that the Eagles D was playing great and not putting Garcia in bad situations, and your point suddenly makes very little sense.

Garcia was mostly a care-taker. The Eagles as a team stepped up big-time, particularly their running game, and Garcia only started 6 games. I don't give a damn about tenure or veteran-hood, the facts are that anyone who plays only 6 games should never be eligible for a PB berth....especially when you consider that the PB rosters are decided a couple of weeks before the season ends, and thus he would have only had three or four games under his belt at the time.

LonghornsLegend
09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

well T New isnt as much of a playmaker as some young corners like D Hall or Pacman, so he is often overlooked...which is fine, but his coverage skills are still about as good as it gets

duckseason
09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
:|

I'm shocked that you would make that contention, really. Romo's passer rating was nearly identical to Garcia's, so that argument is sixes. However, the PRIMARY contention in against Romo is that he didn't log a full season of work. Well, Garcia didn't even log half a season! Garcia was 5-1 in his games played....but Romo was exactly the same through is first 6, and was more impressive statistically in doing so.

But aside from all that, I am stunned that you would try to make the point that Garcia did more with less. I know you specified "skill position" talent, but your point is the same either way. He did more with less. But that's ridiculous considering that Garcia had possibly the most versatile and dangerous RB in the league behind him, and an O-line that was flat dominant down the stretch. That team won by running the football and protecting the ball. Garcia made very few plays by himself. Contrast that with Dallas' line that was disintegrating right before our eyes as the season wore on--with our RG being a shell of a man at the end--and there is no way you can make that claim. Add in the fact that the Eagles D was playing great and not putting Garcia in bad situations, and your point suddenly makes very little sense.

Garcia was mostly a care-taker. The Eagles as a team stepped up big-time, particularly their running game, and Garcia only started 6 games. I don't give a damn about tenure or veteran-hood, the facts are that anyone who plays only 6 games should never be eligible for a PB berth....especially when you consider that the PB rosters are decided a couple of weeks before the season ends, and thus he would have only had three or four games under his belt at the time.
My thoughts exactly. You just articulated it better. Yeah, Garcia was technically 5-1 as a starter, but he was really 4-2 where it counts. He only threw 3 balls in the season finale, and he came in for McNabb in Week 11 against the Titans and managed just 1 TD against one of the worst pass defenses. I don't like giving QB's won-loss records, so I'll just say that the Eagles were 4-2 with Garcia at the helm last year.

Geo
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Merrill Hoge just said that Romo is a mixture of Brett Favre and Tom Brady.

BrownsTown
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM

I think Merril Hoge is a mixture of ******** and more ********.

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM

If Romo is a mixture of Favre and Brady, then Rex Grossman is a mixture of Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana. Why, I don't know. If Hodge wants to just say names than I will to.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 02:44 PM
If Romo is a mixture of Favre and Brady, then Rex Grossman is a mixture of Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana. Why, I don't know. If Hodge wants to just say names than I will to.

Well Grossman doesn't remind anybody of Unitas or Montana at all. I didn't see Hoge say it, but I'm assuming he's trying to illustrate what kind of player Romo is, more so than put him on either of those all-time greats' level. The player in recent history that Romo most closely resembles is undoubtedly Favre, imo. Very similar playing style. Perhaps the Brady reference was in comparison to the whole story book underdog 7th rd/UFA thing, and the fact that they both came in for Bledsoe and set the world on fire. Similar playing style to Favre, similar story to Brady.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
wow i love this thread, anyone wanna take shots at romo? thats funny stuff

um he looks like a monkey

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
http://images.sportsnetwork.com/football/college/1aa/romo_awards.jpg

http://www.nestle.ca/NR/rdonlyres/62433100-3EE1-4B04-945A-7E9C2935435D/0/butterfinger_cta2.jpg

There is one hell of a resemblance with those two pics.

McBain
09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
i think some of the rhomo hate was do to the excessive hype he was given last year as well as his ridiculous pro bowl bid. Anywho he did well last night and has had some good games... He's also had some bad games (not this season... yet) Rex Grossman was one of the best QBs last year for the first 5 er so games last year too. I'm not saying rhomo will tank... but last year he certainly tailed off... i think he's done well and i'm not afraid to admit that however i think he'll screw up sooner than later.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM

same could be said about a number of players every season so i think we should stick with what i thought was the well known fact that the pro bowl is a joke......

neko4
09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Right now I think the NFC East has the best group of QB's and Romo is leading the pack

J52
09-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm still reserving my judgment on him until he gets pressured. Granted he had a bad game last week, but Jason Taylor got smothered by the Cowboys oline. Romo had about 3 and a half minutes to deliver every pass.

I'm imagine most NFL quarterbacks would have a decent amount of success with the protection that oline provides.

Eaglez.Fan
09-24-2007, 08:40 PM
He's still not a top 5 QB.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Come to think of it, Duckseason and DMW were right. He did deserve the PB. There really wasn't anyone else to replace him with.

yodabear
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
No, thanks to him, I am three months from being an admin. In case u don't know the story, I asked Ward if I could be admin, he responded when the Cowboys win the superbowl. I WILL REMEMBER THAT IN 3 MONTHS!

bored of education
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Romo had a rifle pass he threw some what 3/4s angled to either Crayton or Witten for about 8 yards. He was getting pressured stepped up in the pocket and released it....and then i released something myself. It was of high velocity, great accuracy and one of the best developments I have seen occur in a while. Doing what it takes, adjusting arm angles, throwing into a golf ball sized window and getting the 1st down, allowing the team's drive to continue! Wow, the development that Romo has done and is left is quite interesting as well.

Addict
09-25-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.dyestat.com/3us/5in/simplot/donna/video1.jpg=
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/Addict187/pyramid.jpg & http://www.lookydaddy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/12/asshole9pz_th.jpg

DMWSackMachine
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
In fairness, Hodge's point was the he moves within the pocket like Brady does, and that he has the low-release point and creativity of Favre.

He did not say he is the QB that would be created by taking the best attributes of the two.

He had a good point.

That said, I could not possibly agree more with the pictures above. He is FOS about 98.5435% of the time.

We need to create a Tool Index for ESPN's analysts. Obviously, Salisbury would have to get the coveted #1 spot, but Clayton and Hodge would duke it out for the #2 spot.

Oh, wait. I forgot about Skip Bayless.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Skip is a tool...he's still bashing Romo.

Ward
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
We need to create a Tool Index for ESPN's analysts. Obviously, Salisbury would have to get the coveted #1 spot, but Clayton and Hodge would duke it out for the #2 spot.

Oh, wait. I forgot about Skip Bayless.

I disagree about Clayton, I'm a big fan.

No, thanks to him, I am three months from being an admin. In case u don't know the story, I asked Ward if I could be admin, he responded when the Cowboys win the superbowl. I WILL REMEMBER THAT IN 3 MONTHS!

I plan on upholding my part of the deal.

yodabear
09-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I plan on upholding my part of the deal.

I have plenty of ideas for the site already.

M.O.T.H.
10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Skip Bayless was just talking more crap about Romo. Saying he was too small and too side arm and he would cost them games very soon. Doesnt matter what Tony does...Skip is such a tool.

yodabear
10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Skip Bayless was just talking more crap about Romo. Saying he was too small and too side arm and he would cost them games very soon. Doesnt matter what Tony does...Skip is such a tool.

He also says LBJ is overrated and Bob Stoops should be fired. Also, that the left tackle isn't that important of a position, no one should listen to what he has to say. He is borderline idiotic.

bored of education
10-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I hate Skip Bayless

bored of education
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Romo is the man, that is all.

LonghornsLegend
10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Skip Bayless annoys me, he actually makes me look forward to woody paige, which is scary

Addict
10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Romo still looks like a moron. He's just proven h's not wha he looks like.

Iamcanadian
10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I have no trouble admitting that I questioned which Romo we'd see this year. You'd have to be a fool not to raise that question before the season started. However Romo has answered all my doubts and there is no question that his future and the future of the Cowboys looks bright. He sure looks like a carbon copy of Favre, a great team leader and a real gunslinger who probably hasn't reached his limit and will continue to grow.
I think he will go down as one of the most interesting QB's of our era. All he has left to prove is whether or not he can win in the playoffs. He sure has changed the dynamics of the AFC vs the NFC, he looks like he should be able to go with Brady and Payton but we'll have to see.

Shiver
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I know, what's so wrong about raising questions about an unproven player? For every Romo that excels there are other players who don't meet the expectations. Romo has stepped up, that in no way means that any of those who had doubts were wrong beforehand.

Addict
10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I know, what's so wrong about raising questions about an unproven player? For every Romo that excels there are other players who don't meet the expectations. Romo has stepped up, that in no way means that any of those who had doubts were wrong beforehand.

yea this is the same kind of thread as 'boy those titans sure are terrible', how the hell were we supposed to know? He looked terrible towards the end, and I still stand by my opinion that he had no business in the Pro Bowl.

BrownsTown
10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I hate Skip Bayless

That guy disrespects LBJ so much. I mean, he was still calling him Prince James and saying he was overrated after that amazing overtime performance...he's just a major tool.

remix 6
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
i think Romo is the real deal but keep in mind..he hasnt beaten anyone yet

Giants D?
Rams D?
Miami D?

Chicago was good on D but might have been hurting a bit

his real test is in 2 weeks verse Patriots. i wonder what BB and company will throw at him (hopefully we stay healthy till then)

Addict
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
i think Romo is the real deal but keep in mind..he hasnt beaten anyone yet

Giants D?
Rams D?
Miami D?

Chicago was good on D but might have been hurting a bit

his real test is in 2 weeks verse Patriots. i wonder what BB and company will throw at him (hopefully we stay healthy till then)

it's still impressive the way how he beat them. Same way 'round Cowboys will be the first REAL serious test (meaning a solid, deep team not coached by Norv Turner) for the pats as well.

remix 6
10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
it's still impressive the way how he beat them. Same way 'round Cowboys will be the first REAL serious test (meaning a solid, deep team not coached by Norv Turner) for the pats as well.

yep and its gonna be a great game. too bad its not a Sunday Night or MNF game :(

i dont think our offense will be tested that greatly. We've played Chargers who were a great D last year but our defense will be tested.

i think Jets and Chargers presented challenges but Jets OL got dominated and Chargers aswell and we made a lot of plays against them.

Cowboys will be bigger test because we verse a very good TE(we versed Gates) and a very good WR(we versed Coles and Evans) but thats 2 receiving weapons along with 2 good RBs and a much better OL.

im not worried too much about Cowboys besides Owens but thats where Samuel has to prove hes worth the cash.

their D will get tested deep a lot. They'll have Newman back a lot healthier in 2 weeks though. its gonna be a fun game with lots of weapons on both sides of the field but i dont know if Cowboys D can handle all the speed we have offensivly and im not sure they'll run on us. If Cowboys can prevent big plays..they might be in the game

side note..are PUP players eligible week 6? Doubt we'll see Seymour since he'll need some practice time to get back into it but our defense will be a lot better with him even thoguh Green has done a very good job. Harrison will be back then too but way Sanders is playing..im not sure Harrison will just come in and get his job back unless Sanders screws up a lot tonight against great offense which would be similar to Cowboys with their weapons. Chad Jackson will be back sometime between week 6 and week 8..hopefully he gets a role..hes been studying playbook hard i hear and hes been running/etc since training camp

..btw. im not sure why im talking about Patriots in a Romo thread.

bored of education
10-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Pats will lose 38-29. You heard it here 3rd.

10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
i wanna have the same talk a year from now after he gets his big fat contract

bored of education
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Have it with Larry Johnson first(still gonna rush for 1300 plus). At least Romo has players around him and a solid line.

M.O.T.H.
10-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Romo still looks like a moron. He's just proven h's not wha he looks like.

One of those guys who doesnt look like he has any athletic ability at all but, is good at damn near everything he does. I think we all know someone like that. When i was in high school our QB was this 5'7 140 pound kid...he looked like the biggest nerd but, he was a great Qb and averaged 20 points per game on the basketball team...it was crazy.

D-Unit
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
As long as Romo is healthy the Cowboys will be undefeated.

scottyboy
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Brian Leonard should've played LB for the Rams. He would've made that tackle on Romo(must admit, it was a sick run though...)

10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
One of those guys who doesnt look like he has any athletic ability at all but, is good at damn near everything he does. I think we all know someone like that. When i was in high school our QB was this 5'7 140 pound kid...he looked like the biggest nerd but, he was a great Qb and averaged 20 points per game on the basketball team...it was crazy.

just wanna add tony romo was a well-known high school shooting guard coming out of wisconsin back in the day

M.O.T.H.
10-01-2007, 07:21 PM
just wanna add tony romo was a well-known high school shooting guard coming out of wisconsin back in the day

He's also a pro caliber golfer.

BlindSite
10-02-2007, 02:35 AM
He is also hung like a donkey and speaks 20 languages.

Addict
10-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I've heared he eats barbed wire and train rail for breakfast and sleeps in a snake pit.

M.O.T.H.
10-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Everything you've heard is true.

Addict
10-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Everything you've heard is true.

his brother is a horse, he never sleeps and he has no toes?

M.O.T.H.
10-02-2007, 05:46 AM
his brother is a horse, he never sleeps and he has no toes?

all true....

Addict
10-02-2007, 05:51 AM
how about his belly button actually being a third eye?

GB12
10-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I think some shots can be taken now.

JK17
10-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Ah, I was wondering when this thread was going to get bumped up...

Ewing
10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Against the 32 ranked defense. Wow.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, actually. I do.

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/gun.jpg

CC.SD
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Jerry Jones' dreams of McFadden are evaporating before our eyes!

Just kidding. Romo will bounce back, it's one game.

Number 10
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Thats what happens when you make premature statements DMW....

Kid hasn't even started 16 games.

soybean
10-08-2007, 09:03 PM
i LOVE when people "call out" other people and then get smacked in the mouth.

P-L
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Alright, let's not overreact or anything...

Windy
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM

yea no kidding. you can tell that the other nfc east fans are loving it.

Zim3031
10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Good lord, he's had one bad half. It's amazing how everyone can so easily forget how good he's been all season and come out saying "I told you so" after tonight. Dallas still has a very good chance of winning too.

skinzzfan25
yea no kidding. you can tell that the other nfc east fans are loving it.

Oh yes, we are.

Shiver

It's hard not too pile on considering it was DMW who was the one who overreacted to Romo tearing it up against porous defenses and trashing anyone that didn't proclaim him an elite QB.

Smooth Criminal
10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I knew someone would dig this thread back up. 4 Ints against the worst defense in the league. That doesnt impress.

Number 10
We are reacting to the overeaction of DMW in my opinion.

He started how many games coming into tonight?

LonghornsLegend
Ah, I was wondering when this thread was going to get bumped up...

Me too, I smiled because I was surely expecting it to be after halftime :)

P-L
It's hard not too pile on considering it was DMW who was the one who overreacted to Romo tearing it up against porous defenses and trashing anyone that didn't proclaim him an elite QB.
Yeah, I understand DMW's reaction was premature. However, Romo still has 8 good halves this season, compared to 1 awful one.

Number 10
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I understand DMW's reaction was premature. However, Romo still has 8 good halves this season, compared to 1 awful one.

He had so many good holds last year too.....but one awful one.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Thats what happens when you make premature statements DMW....

Kid hasn't even started 16 games.

Kid? So what does that make Eli?

DukeDaGod
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah 4 ints in first half

Number 10
10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Kid? So what does that make Eli?

um, a kid?

duckseason
10-08-2007, 09:16 PM
He had so many good holds last year too.....but one awful one.

There's good reason for the new K-ball rules. I don't blame Romo for what happened in Seattle at all.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
um, a kid?

So what's it take to be labeled a man?

Shiver
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Romo did the same hot/cold thing last year too, it's the same old song and dance as it were.

Number 10
10-08-2007, 09:20 PM
So what's it take to be labeled a man?

I really hope your not being serious.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I really hope your not being serious.

It just sounds funny to hear people refer to grown men as kids.

Number 10
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

If it makes you feel better, I will refer to Romo as a "grown man"

Let me know.

TacticaLion
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

They're just the younger grown men compared to the other grown men in the NFL.

Primetime21
10-08-2007, 09:24 PM
There's good reason for the new K-ball rules. I don't blame Romo for what happened in Seattle at all.

Yea it was the 12th Man.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 09:27 PM
If it makes you feel better, I will refer to Romo as a "grown man"

Let me know.

My feelings aren't affected either way. Just thought you'd like to know how strange it sounds when you refer to a 27 year old NFL player as a kid.

Smooth Criminal
10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Romo has looked good rebounding from the horrific first half. Thats something not everyone can do.

Number 10
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
My feelings aren't affected either way. Just thought you'd like to know how strange it sounds when you refer to a 27 year old NFL player as a kid.

Holy Cow dude....

He IS a kid in the context I was talking about...meaning his experience in the NFL. (You know, how I was talking about the talk of him being a God was premature because he hasn't played a lot of football).

scottyboy
10-08-2007, 09:35 PM
when he has sweet chest hair like me, he can be considered a man(granted he's 10+ years older than me...)

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Romo is overrated and this game proves it.. the best thing i got is that hes got the nerves of a spineless 3rd grader .. what would be better is if Eli manning had a kid.. but as far as i know he doesnt.. so.. spineless 3rd grader it is..

jbsg02
10-09-2007, 01:42 AM
You can't let it take away from what he has done the first 4 games of the season, he has the ability to make incredible plays and win games. It's games like this one, where he had 5 ints that seperates him from players like Brady and Manning. The Cowboys won this game in spite of the offense, but when it came down to it, Romo drove down the field and scored a TD to put them in position to win.

no love
10-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Romo is a playmaker. Plain and simple the guy makes things happen. Does he make boneheaded throws on occasion? Yes he can be a bit reckless, but its the same mentality that allows him to play like he has nothing to lose.

Ewing
10-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Romo is a playmaker. Plain and simple the guy makes things happen. Does he make boneheaded throws on occasion? Yes he can be a bit reckless, but its the same mentality that allows him to play like he has nothing to lose.

It's that type of thinking that's lead people to believe Brett Favre is the greatest player in the history of the game.

The Unseen
10-09-2007, 05:53 AM
It's that type of thinking that's lead people to believe Brett Favre is the greatest player in the history of the game.

Or that Vince Young is a good quarterback.

Ewing
10-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Or that Vince Young is a good quarterback.

I've never once said Vince Young is a great or even good quarterback. I've said he's away ahead of schedule and has shown flashes of greatness. Plus, he's got no one around him on offense while Romo has Barber, TO, Glenn, and Witten.

Jakey
10-09-2007, 06:28 AM
I think Romo is a good quarterback, but he's way too cocky and you could tell how embarrased he was in that game, when he was doing ****. Hopefully it brings him back down to earth abit, if it does i wish him luck- he could be great.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Romo is a good quarterback.

The NFC East has great quarterbacks, and all of em can play Q for my team. Id take any of em. I feel all 4 of em are capable of winning football games and taking a team (if built properly) to the next level.

Maybe Romo isn't as great as his first couple of games indicated, but that doesn't mean he sucks by any means. He's a good quarterback.

The Unseen
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I've never once said Vince Young is a great or even good quarterback. I've said he's away ahead of schedule and has shown flashes of greatness. Plus, he's got no one around him on offense while Romo has Barber, TO, Glenn, and Witten.

Dude, joking.

DMWSackMachine
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Ah, how did I know? To me, this only confirms what I was trying to say. The guy has been a complete trainwreck, has nearly killed his team's chance to win, and he comes in, keeps his head up, stays confident and composed, and makes the plays that he needs to make in order to give the team the W.

I love how people are trying to say "U thought ROmo was teh goD!!11".

This thread was begun to refute the naysayers who were contending that Romo's supposed "late season breakdown" was evidence for him being either a bad QB, or a harbinger of his inability to play the position at a high level for anything but a stretch here and there. I never said that he wouldn't take his lumps, or that he was the best QB in the NFL, or even that he would be an elite QB this year(which he obviously is, whatever you may say). All I said was that he was getting bagged upon in the offseason by idiotic reasoning, and he was proving that reasoning wrong. He has done that, and my statement still stands.

As for this game being proof of him not being in the Brady or Manning class (disclaimer: I'm not saying he is in that class, but read on) take a peek at this stat line:

20/35- 201yds - 0tds - 4ints - 34.0 rating

Romo's line last night:

29/50 - 309 yds - 2td - 5int - 49.9 rating

The first stat line? Brady on 11/5 of last year against the Colts. So does that mean that he doesn't belong in the Brady or Manning category now? O rly.

Well, maybe that's too good of an opponent for you. How about his game against the horrible KC defense in '05:

22/40 - 248yds - 1td - 4int - 42.5 rating

Let's not get carried away with one game--and, really, one half--of bad play. Romo made some really bad mistakes that will normally cost you games. Fortunately, Dallas' defense played like a dominant unit last night despite being on the field for way longer than you would want them to (Buffalo held nearly a 10 minute TOP advantage before Dallas' offense used up the last 3-4 minutes), and Romo had the grit and wherewithal to keep his composure and lead his team to victory after all he had done to give the game away. That says something about a QB, I don't care who you are. Even the best QBs have their bad days, just as I showed with Brady above. If Romo does this on more than a once-or-twice a year basis, or continually does it in key positions, then people are justified in saying he's overrated or not a very good QB. Until then, he has played 9 halves of great football, and one half of horrible football. I will take that from my franchise QB every day of the week, and twice on Monday Night.

Geo
10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Quoted for effect

JK17
10-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Ah, how did I know? To me, this only confirms what I was trying to say. The guy has been a complete trainwreck, has nearly killed his team's chance to win, and he comes in, keeps his head up, stays confident and composed, and makes the plays that he needs to make in order to give the team the W.

I love how people are trying to say "U thought ROmo was teh goD!!11".

This thread was begun to refute the naysayers who were contending that Romo's supposed "late season breakdown" was evidence for him being either a bad QB, or a harbinger of his inability to play the position at a high level for anything but a stretch here and there. I never said that he wouldn't take his lumps, or that he was the best QB in the NFL, or even that he would be an elite QB this year(which he obviously is, whatever you may say). All I said was that he was getting bagged upon in the offseason by idiotic reasoning, and he was proving that reasoning wrong. He has done that, and my statement still stands.

As for this game being proof of him not being in the Brady or Manning class (disclaimer: I'm not saying he is in that class, but read on) take a peek at this stat line:

20/35- 201yds - 0tds - 4ints - 34.0 rating

Romo's line last night:

29/50 - 309 yds - 2td - 5int - 49.9 rating

The first stat line? Brady on 11/5 of last year against the Colts. So does that mean that he doesn't belong in the Brady or Manning category now? O rly.

Well, maybe that's too good of an opponent for you. How about his game against the horrible KC defense in '05:

22/40 - 248yds - 1td - 4int - 42.5 rating

Let's not get carried away with one game--and, really, one half--of bad play. Romo made some really bad mistakes that will normally cost you games. Fortunately, Dallas' defense played like a dominant unit last night despite being on the field for way longer than you would want them to (Buffalo held nearly a 10 minute TOP advantage before Dallas' offense used up the last 3-4 minutes), and Romo had the grit and wherewithal to keep his composure and lead his team to victory after all he had done to give the game away. That says something about a QB, I don't care who you are. Even the best QBs have their bad days, just as I showed with Brady above. If Romo does this on more than a once-or-twice a year basis, or continually does it in key positions, then people are justified in saying he's overrated or not a very good QB. Until then, he has played 9 halves of great football, and one half of horrible football. I will take that from my franchise QB every day of the week, and twice on Monday Night.

Regardless, the thread was started basically criticizing anyone who questioned Romo in the offseason at all. I had my quesitons on him, which I would think is normal of a guy who started 10(?) games, and looked sloppy in some of them. He confirmed some of those questions last night, agianst a lousy secondary.

Does that mean he's a bad QB? No, he's played great in the other games. But it also means it wasn't ridiculous to question the guy in the offseason, as was suggested.

DMWSackMachine
10-09-2007, 11:18 AM
"Having questions" is a mighty vague term that covers a lot of ills. You can have all the questions in your mind about him and I won't give one fig, but the moment someone comes in and starts saying "Romo is (or is not) ______" based upon a few of his mistakes while overlooking his successes, then I am going to have a problem.

There are "questions" about every player in the game. I question whether Tom Brady could win a game when it is all on his shoulders, like Peyton has done on a weekly basis down through the years. I question whether Peyton could be nearly so prolific without a top 5 All-Time reciever on one side and another Pro Bowler on the other.

You can question all you want, but when you make an unsubstantiated claim about a player like "Romo is not a good QB, and last night's game proves it", then I will call you on it. Aside from that, question to your hearts content.

JK17
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
"Having questions" is a mighty vague term that covers a lot of ills. You can have all the questions in your mind about him and I won't give one fig, but the moment someone comes in and starts saying "Romo is (or is not) ______" based upon a few of his mistakes while overlooking his successes, then I am going to have a problem.

There are "questions" about every player in the game. I question whether Tom Brady could win a game when it is all on his shoulders, like Peyton has done on a weekly basis down through the years. I question whether Peyton could be nearly so prolific without a top 5 All-Time reciever on one side and another Pro Bowler on the other.

You can question all you want, but when you make an unsubstantiated claim about a player like "Romo is not a good QB, and last night's game proves it", then I will call you on it. Aside from that, question to your hearts content.

I don't think any one said "Romo is not a good QB and last night's game proves it", rather that it just confirms there are some things to still be concerned about.

But for your first paragraph, by the same token, its also unjustified when people would say things like "Tony Romo is a great QB" all offseason, while overlooking his shortcomings and only focusing on his positives.

You gotta look at the whole picture, and in the offseason, that whole picture was very fuzzy, filled with both good and bad indications for this season.

PackerLegend
10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Romo looked like Sexy Rexy out there last night. Sorry I just had to

sweetness34
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
It's not that Romo had a "bad game." He had a horrible game, Rex Grossman esque from a year ago against the worst defense in the AFC. 4 INT's in the First Half? Come on now...

Sniper
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
It's not that Romo had a "bad game." He had a horrible game, Rex Grossman esque from a year ago against the worst defense in the AFC. 4 INT's in the First Half? Come on now...

Against that vaunted Bills secondary

10-09-2007, 03:22 PM
all the bills players were ridin high on adrenaline..first monday night game in 13 years cmon..still no one would have expected 4 first half INTs. lol thats not rex grossman esque its kyle orton esque

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
eh, he came through when it counted. But did TO?

The Legend
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Romo still a good QB, had a bad day, the bills defence had one hell of a day

thou i see him coming back strong

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
he threw 6 of the worst passes I've seen at any level, but I actually liked what I saw on a lot of the other passes. While I'd say he's definately a good qb his performance showed that he's still not elite. Hefore you bring up brady against kc or miami I'll concede that at that point i didn't think was elite yet, also consider that brady's o has never been as talented as dallas's this year, the miami game was a divisional game so never can tell what's going to happen in those, and against the chiefs he was playing against a team with a great offense that could really control the clock.

I'm not saying romo will jever be an elite qb, i'm saying he's not one now, at least not to me.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
It's good for Romo's sake that he had a piss poor game, he was starting to think he was invincible since everything was going his way to he thought he could throw anything, this should be a nice reality check for him and he can now start playing the QB position the right way and not just a track meet offense. I mean honestly the Cowboys haven't really played a real team yet other than the Giants and Bears who were absolutely struggling at the time they played them.

eaglesfan_45
10-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Anyone still wanna take shots @ Romo?

yup

Bills2083
10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
He had 5 interceptions and very easily could've been 9. McGee dropped 2 passes (both right to him) and Greer dropped one that went right through his hands. Then Crowell had one go off the tip of his fingers.

I am so pissed off :mad:

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
He had 5 interceptions and very easily could've been 9. McGee dropped 2 passes (both right to him) and Greer dropped one that went right through his hands. Then Crowell had one go off the tip of his fingers.

I am so pissed off :mad:
I gave you guys a win for last night anyway... so congrats. You guys earned it.

That game was much like the Zona-Bears game last year. Just ridiculous...

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
he threw 6 of the worst passes I've seen at any level

i'd like to know what football you've been watching, and which six passes those were because i call your bluff/exaggeration

Sniper
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I gave you guys a win for last night anyway... so congrats. You guys earned it.

That game was much like the Zona-Bears game last year. Just ridiculous...

One question though...why in God's name do you have a rookie QB throw the ball when you're in great FG position with 8 minutes or so left and you're up 8 against one of the best offenses in football? Putrid playcalling. And soft zones when they only need a FG? Come on, think!

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
One question though...why in God's name do you have a rookie QB throw the ball when you're in great FG position with 8 minutes or so left and you're up 8 against one of the best offenses in football? Putrid playcalling. And soft zones when they only need a FG? Come on, think!
If the offensive play works and Edwards hits someone for a TD, the game is practically out of reach and it's the "right call". It's just the way the game works. They tried to put the game away and, instead, lost the advantage.

I agree with the defense comment, though. Hell... you KNOW they're going to the sideline... do something? Leave the close middle open and pad the outside? Force them to throw the ball to the middle of the field and make the tackle. Couldn't believe they gave it to them... but Folk made (two) incredible kicks.

DMWSackMachine
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
its amazing to me how stupid some people are acting in this thread, it really is.

I just showed how Tom Brady had an even worse day just last year against the Colts, and again against the Chiefs (and their horrid defense) the year before that. These games do happen. If he has another game like this this season, then you can say its something more than just a very bad game from a very good player.

I will say this again for the last time. This thread was created for the purpose of calling out posters who said that Romo was not a good QB, and that his late season performance last year proved him as a fraud. It was not meant to say he is on the level or Brady or Manning, and it was not meant to be a "look how great this player is". Everything I said to begin with still stands, and one rough night (in which he still played a key role in a victory) doesn't change that. Period.

M.O.T.H.
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
This game was a fluke. Honestly, you watch him, week in and week out...he doesnt make throws like that. Even when he played poorly last season, it wasnt anything like yesterday. He was just way off and trying to force the ball into tight spots. It didnt help that our receivers outside of Witten were never open. Romo obviously has to take the majority of the blame but, that was not the real Tony Romo yesterday night. Perhaps, he was getting a little over confident and as ghetto said, felt he was invincible out there. All this is going to do, is help him in the long run. He is a great QB...who people often forget is really only in his 1st full season as a starter. Even the best QB's take their lumps. He's going to be fine.

JK17
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
its amazing to me how stupid some people are acting in this thread, it really is.

I thought it was fairly stupid to come out after three games and say Tony Romo proved everyone wrong.

I just showed how Tom Brady had an even worse day just last year against the Colts, and again against the Chiefs (and their horrid defense) the year before that. These games do happen. If he has another game like this this season, then you can say its something more than just a very bad game from a very good player.

He's only played five games this season, so by nature, everything at this point is an overreaction. And when Tony Romo wins three super bowls, and has been an elite QB for roughly 5 years, then comparing him to Tom Brady will mean something. But because of his inexperience you can't place him in Brady's league like that (I know you said you aren't but by using Brady to justify Romo's bad game; you are). The newer QBs have to prove something before you can make any kind of judgement on who they are. Especially after three games this year. And why can't people say somethign now? Why was it okay for you to make a thread calling those people out, but now its not okay for them to comment when he doesn't live up to the expectations set by this thread?

I will say this again for the last time. This thread was created for the purpose of calling out posters who said that Romo was not a good QB, and that his late season performance last year proved him as a fraud. It was not meant to say he is on the level or Brady or Manning, and it was not meant to be a "look how great this player is". Everything I said to begin with still stands, and one rough night (in which he still played a key role in a victory) doesn't change that. Period.

? A lot of the things in your initial post were very true that people had said. That he had only played a handful of games, that he had a bad last month, and some more could be true as well as the season plays out. I find it hard to belive it was not meant to say Romo's a great QB, when the thread was gloating about his successes. And if it was just meant to call people out, then its a terrible thread idea to begin with. If every single person on this forum was held accountable for every little doubt they had about a player it would be flooded with meaningless threads. I said LJ would probably slow down this year; should I make a thread calling out the people who said he was going to be amazing?

There was plenty of reason to be skeptical of Romo, and most of the comments he got in the offseason were not "the guy's terrible, he sucks, etc.", but that he may have been overrated, he may have been figured out, he may not be as good as advertised....which, still could easily hold true.

It was too early to make the thread praising him, so how can you turn around and bash those who doubt him still?

And just for the record, I think he's a fine QB; the thread was still premature and borderline unnessescary though.

McBain
10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
this a great and very ironic thread now. i especially enjoy the cowboy's fans responses right now. How bout that bills secondary...?

Romo still a good QB, had a bad day, the bills defence had one hell of a day

yeah, the bills still had to catch the balls that were thrown right to them. That's talent.

BigDawg819
10-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Its justified for open season on Romo after that horrendous performance last night. Why Trent Edwards wasn't handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch on that pass he threw to Terrence Newman is beyond my comprehension.

BrownsTown
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Sucked against the Bills and name rhymes with ****...he's just got nothing going for him right now, does he?

BigDawg819
10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Sucked against the Bills and name rhymes with ****...he's just got nothing going for him right now, does he?

Is he still nailing Carrie Underwood?

BrownsTown
10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Is he still nailing Carrie Underwood?

I stand corrected.

McBain
10-09-2007, 09:26 PM

you forgot about how he cost dallass a playoff game and tailed off at the end of the year.

M.O.T.H.
10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
This is one of those situations where everyone wants to be right. Some may have annoited him too early and then there is a large group that said he was garbage from the beginning. The Romo haters were silent during Romo's 4 straight great games...now he has one awful game and they all come out again. I understand a lot of people dont like him for a number of reasons...he's the QB of the Cowboys, ESPN tried to make him the next big star overnight, he seems too cocky, he's dating a celebrity and judging beauty pagents...etc, etc, etc. None of that should really effect how you see him as a player...I'm not speaking to everyone here but, a lot people are just haters. Anyway, as for the game anyone who has watched Romo week after week knows that, that was not the real Romo. He was just off and forcing the ball into heavy coverage. (receivers werent open all night) This hasnt been a problem all year. He was giving the ball away...but really imho, I say it was just a fluke game. I'll say it again, maybe he was getting too confident. Yeah, it was bad but, if you have actually been paying attention (actually watching him play), you know how good a player he actually is.

BrownsTown
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
This is one of those situations where everyone wants to be right. Some may have annoited him too early and then there is a large group that said he was garbage from the beginning. The Romo haters were silent during Romo's 4 straight great games...now he has one awful game and they all come out again. I understand a lot of people dont like him for a number of reasons...he's the QB of the Cowboys, ESPN tried to make him the next big star overnight, he seems too cocky, he's dating a celebrity and judging beauty pagents...etc, etc, etc. None of that should really effect how you see him as a player...I'm not speaking to everyone here but, a lot people are just haters. Anyway, as for the game anyone who has watched Romo week after week knows that, that was not the real Romo. He was just off and forcing the ball into heavy coverage. (receivers werent open all night) This hasnt been a problem all year. He was giving the ball away...but really imho, I say it was just a fluke game. I'll say it again, maybe he was getting too confident. Yeah, it was bad but, if you have actually been paying attention (actually watching him play), you know how good a player he actually is.

How could it be a fluke game when it happened often last year? I mean, he's a good QB but the guy's crazy inconsistent. When he's on he's near the top of the league but when he isn't he's Grossman-esque (ok, maybe not that bad but you get the point.)

McBain
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM

i've actually never called him garbage... i do think he's over-rated... but he's not awful. I gave him the nod in my NFC East rankings.... i may hate him but i'm not totally stupid. But i have to say this is quite gratifying after listening to that "old rhomo" garbage on Sunday night... my god that made me want to puke.

M.O.T.H.
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
How could it be a fluke game when it happened often last year? I mean, he's a good QB but the guy's crazy inconsistent. When he's on he's near the top of the league but when he isn't he's Grossman-esque (ok, maybe not that bad but you get the point.)

This did not happen often last year...I mean yeah he was inconsistant at the end but, nothing like yesterday. The same thing happened to Philip Rivers last year. They were both in their first years as starters...it is to be expected. You dont hear anyone talk badly about Rivers, though. People just love to hate on Tony.

I also must add, that the offensive line had broken down by seasons end a year ago...Tony was getting hit a lot more. This game was a fluke.

BrownsTown
10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
This did not happen often last year...I mean yeah he was inconsistant at the end but, nothing like yesterday. The same thing happened to Philip Rivers last year. They were both in their first years as starters...it is to be expected. You dont hear anyone talk badly about Rivers, though. People just love to hate on Tony.

I also must add, that the offensive line had broken down by seasons end a year ago...Tony was getting hit a lot more. This game was a fluke.

Ok then...

BTW Derek Anderson's performance against NE was a fluke, he did so good against Cincy, so how could be that bad.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I actually kinda like Romo. As a guy even, he seems like the guy who if you were friends with him, and he walked into a party, everyone would be like "HEYYYY!! TONYS HERE!!!". And last night I liked that he was resilient. He didn't lose confidence, and that is important in a young QB like him. There will be bumps on the road, but I think he will be a very good QB very soon. Unfortunately.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 10:51 PM
i like romo in almost every way, outside of the team he plays for, seems like good people, he's great at avoiding the rush, has a great release andwent to the same schools as one of my buddies did before he joined the marines.

But he wasn't just forcing it into tight coverage, he was making just some horrible throws. I rember rewinding the ints and just trying to figure out what he was thinking or what went wrong with the ball and i couldn't there's no explanation some of his throws and that has to raise serious concerns, was he drunk? Does his arm have a mind of his own? Does he occassionally lose control of his body?

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok then...

BTW Derek Anderson's performance against NE was a fluke, he did so good against Cincy, so how could be that bad.

LMAO...you guys are hilarious, yes lets compare tony romo and derek anderson, because obviously that comparison merits warrant :rolleyes:

and no your not a romo hater if you dont think he's the best qb in the league, but the same way everyone gets upset when people annoint him too early, its pretty much the same thing with you guys except doing the exact opposite...maybe it makes more sense that romo is actually a horrible qb, and he just gets lucky alot, then he shows his true form time to time lol...

Im sure this will go on all year, he will play good for another 5-6 games and everyone gets quiet with nothing to say, which is pretty much how the beginning of this thread started, no one had any comments, now since monday all kinds of people are showing up posting about how bad he is, its not like people were coming in early saying "well he's solid, but i still think he has his ups and downs and will have some horrible games", everyone just decided to show up since his first bad game of the year...and like ive said, its usually fans of teams who dont have a better option themselves at qb

Im glad he had this type of game, lets him know that things arent going to come easy to him how he may of thought, and that he needs to study film extensively even during "easy" games...You guys are jumping the gun on him both ways, he can get all the criticism in the world, teams would be LINED UP around the block if we let him walk, and im confident in him leading us to the super bowl in his career

McBain
10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
LMAO...you guys are hilarious, yes lets compare tony romo and derek anderson, because obviously that comparison merits warrant :rolleyes:

it makes about as much sense as the brady comparisons.

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM

So it is ok to compare Romo to God, but not to a pile of dirt is what people are saying?

BrownsTown
10-10-2007, 04:35 PM

and no your not a romo hater if you dont think he's the best qb in the league, but the same way everyone gets upset when people annoint him too early, its pretty much the same thing with you guys except doing the exact opposite...maybe it makes more sense that romo is actually a horrible qb, and he just gets lucky alot, then he shows his true form time to time lol...

Im sure this will go on all year, he will play good for another 5-6 games and everyone gets quiet with nothing to say, which is pretty much how the beginning of this thread started, no one had any comments, now since monday all kinds of people are showing up posting about how bad he is, its not like people were coming in early saying "well he's solid, but i still think he has his ups and downs and will have some horrible games", everyone just decided to show up since his first bad game of the year...and like ive said, its usually fans of teams who dont have a better option themselves at qb

Im glad he had this type of game, lets him know that things arent going to come easy to him how he may of thought, and that he needs to study film extensively even during "easy" games...You guys are jumping the gun on him both ways, he can get all the criticism in the world, teams would be LINED UP around the block if we let him walk, and im confident in him leading us to the super bowl in his career

Me comparing DA to Romo is just as ridiculous as saying a 5 INT against a horrible team is "just a fluke". Seriously.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 04:52 PM

which ive personally admitted are just as crazy, which is why in my post I said people are jumping the gun both ways on him, but thats what people love to do...after caddillacs first 5 games he was the best rb in the nfl, now people say he's a bust, after leinart played the bears people were slobbing all over him, now they say he's a bust...

people just go overboard with romo because of the attention the cowboys get, and the media attention romo gets, which isnt his fault...he goes out and plays hard and gives us a chance to win as much as he can, alot of his mistakes last year people pay too much attention to, he came in at mid season, weve changed coaches after his first half season, he will take his bumps and growing pains, but i find it hard to believe that any team out there without a franchise qb that wouldnt take him and be creaming themselves afterward

SeanTaylorRIP
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
This Romo guy, kinda reminds me of Rex Grossman.

Moses
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Romo is the new Vick. :D

bigbluedefense
10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I can't wait until the Redskins play the Cowboys. Thats always a great game. They hate each other so much.

The whole NFC East is one big rivalry. We all hate each other with so much passion. In fact, screw all of you. Yeah I said it.

*puts on homerhat*

There, i had my homer moment. I had to get it out of my system. We need another Trash Talking Thread so I can get my homerism its fair share of the apple too.

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I can't wait until the Redskins play the Cowboys. Thats always a great game. They hate each other so much.

The whole NFC East is one big rivalry. We all hate each other with so much passion. In fact, screw all of you. Yeah I said it.

*puts on homerhat*

There, i had my homer moment. I had to get it out of my system. We need another Trash Talking Thread so I can get my homerism its fair share of the apple too.

**** you ya ******* Giants fan

Addict
10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Romo is the new Vick. :D

minus the dogfighting and with accuracy even though he's lacking in truly insane athleticism, yes.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM

*puts on homerhat*

Check out the new thread in the NFC EAST boards. it's official.

Moses
10-10-2007, 05:27 PM
minus the dogfighting and with accuracy even though he's lacking in truly insane athleticism, yes.

I'm talking about how they generate so much debate about their play.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

DeAngelo Hall is up there.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM

I think Vince Young, not Tony Romo, is inherently the next Michael Vick.

Moses
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I think Vince Young, not Tony Romo, is inherently the next Michael Vick.

True. People love hating on scrambling QBs.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
And people love using the "he's a winner" line when empirical evidence doesn't support their claims...

SeanTaylorRIP
10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Romo is clutch in playoff situations.

scottyboy
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Do I still wanna take shots at Romo? Thats like asking Rosie O'Donnel if she wants a free buffet

BigDawg819
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Romo is clutch in playoff situations.

For the other team. :D

Moses
10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
And people love using the "he's a winner" line when empirical evidence doesn't support their claims...

Well Young has won his fair share of games...

M.O.T.H.
10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Me comparing DA to Romo is just as ridiculous as saying a 5 INT against a horrible team is "just a fluke". Seriously.

Why couldnt someone proclaim this game to be a fluke?

Tony had 4 great games against better defenses and he has his one bad game against a patch work secondary and the worst defense in the nfl. That would be an example of the word, fluke.

BrownsTown
10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Why couldnt someone proclaim this game to be a fluke?

Tony had 4 great games against better defenses and he has his one bad game against a patch work secondary and the worst defense in the nfl. That would be an example of the word, fluke.

If you didn't take into account the previous season and Romo's documented inconsitency.

BigDawg819
10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
All Hail King Romo!

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Does anyone remember Rex Grossman being an MVP at the beginning of the season last year. He had great games. Then he had a horrible game on Monday Night where his team ended up winning...

We all know where Grossman is now. =D

BigDawg819
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
All Hail Sexy Rexy!

BrownsTown
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Does anyone remember Rex Grossman being an MVP at the beginning of the season last year. He had great games. Then he had a horrible game on Monday Night where his team ended up winning...

We all know where Grossman is now. =D

Exactly why you can't call it "just a fluke"

Shiver
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Romo's problem on Monday night was he constantly went to Jason Witten. Now Witten is a very good TE obviously, but I remember at least two of those interceptions were passes intended for Witten. The Bills' linebackers and dbs were ready for it. It seemed to me that he was forcing it to Witten in that game. Witten has 15 targets in week 5, more than any other player in the NFL during last week's games.

M.O.T.H.
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
If you didn't take into account the previous season and Romo's documented inconsitency.

Please, Romo never had a game remotely close to how bad this one was. Last season...he basically only had two really bad games that stand out. The first was against our former offensive Coord. and the 2nd was against the Eagles...a game Romo got hit about 10 times. If you watched the games you would know that Romo's late season struggles actually coincide with offensive line break downs. Last 4 games or so...Romo had no protection, he was getting sacked about 3 times a game. He showed the normal consistancy of a rookie near the end of the year, happened to Rivers also. He was not nearly as inconsistant as you make him out to be. If you actually watch the guy play week after week after week, you would know how good a player he actually is.

M.O.T.H.
10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Romo's problem on Monday night was he constantly went to Jason Witten. Now Witten is a very good TE obviously, but I remember at least two of those interceptions were passes intended for Witten. The Bills' linebackers and dbs were ready for it. It seemed to me that he was forcing it to Witten in that game. Witten has 15 targets in week 5, more than any other player in the NFL during last week's games.

Looking into the game deeper...The reason Romo struggled was because, of the two ints early. The first, a miscommunication that was just as much Witten's fault and the second Kelsay's knock up interception. He felt he put the team in a hole, he was pre-determining where he was going to throw the ball. Staring down his receivers and looking for the deeper routes instead of hitting the open men underneath. So, in essence, he was trying to do too much. This has not been a problem all year...Bills made two good plays on the ball early and it through off Romo's game planning. This is easily correctible and we just got our QB coach back this week, to help Tony with this.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
By the way DMW deserves all the heat he's getting, maybe more. When you post a rant about how a player on your team and you vote for said player as the Q1 MVP (yes that poll was public) you open yourself up for this. Right or wrong you just don't do something like this. I could have made a "DeAngelo Hall is great, suck it haters" thread based on how he's done thus far, but I won't. Because if Hall stinks it up against Burress on MNF I will hear too much crap about it to be worth it.

eaglesfan_45
10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
http://images.sportsnetwork.com/football/college/1aa/romo_awards.jpg

http://www.nestle.ca/NR/rdonlyres/62433100-3EE1-4B04-945A-7E9C2935435D/0/butterfinger_cta2.jpg

There is one hell of a resemblance with those two pics.
http://mycasualthoughts.com/pictures/2007February/Eww.jpg
http://dwil.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/romo.jpg
more of a resemblence here

eaglesfan_45
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
"NFL defenses figured him out"
They did.

""He was a one-month wonder"
He was a wonder for a month?
""Overrated"
That he is, that he is.
""He really only had four or five good games"
this is true this is true
""There's no way he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl"
He didn't deserve to go to the Pro-Bowl
""He was horrible during the last month of the season"
He was and it was capped off by fumbling the snap

""He has never faced a really good defense"
that is true as well. Wow DMWSackMchine you are reading my mind

"3 games. 3 wins. Just 2 TOs.
1 game 6 ints

yo123
10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
They did.

He was a wonder for a month?

That he is, that he is.

this is true this is true

He didn't deserve to go to the Pro-Bowl

He was and it was capped off by fumbling the snap

that is true as well. Wow DMWSackMchine you are reading my mind

1 game 6 ints

YEah hE PlayEd So bAd he HaD OnE bad game He Sckus LOLZAZZ!!!111

Quit being such a homer. We all know your in denial that your going to have to play this guy twice a year from now one, but he is a top 5 QB in the league right now. He has great accuracy, a great improvisor, solid mobility... basically most of the things you want in a QB. Up until this game he was just shredding apart everyone, then he has one bad game (in which he still led his team to victory when it counted) and one bad game doesnt change anything.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Exactly why you can't call it "just a fluke"

you didnt have ANYTHING relevant to say when this thread started, nothing at all...now your full of comments, and i GUARANTEE once Romo gets to playing well you wont have anything to say again...and for the people who say "i predict he will struggle again", wow way to go out on a limb...

last I checked Rivers was playing horrible this year too, I dont think he's a horrible qb at all...

this game is getting way overblown, and probably like Shiver said because this thread was made, in that case probably deserves to be...but at the same time, you guys are acting like some of the greatest qbs ever havent had horrible games, and your also acting like the Bills were such a great D, he played excellent vs better D's this year(remember the bears were healthy on D at that point), so this game tells me nothing more then it was a mental lapse, im not worried about last year, he got threw into the reigns in the middle of a game and went from there and he made the best of it...

but really the trolling of the homers from the NFC east, could you be any more obvious? and the people with nothing relevant to say will go right back to being quiet for another two months, then when he throws 2 picks in a game come back to this thread with immature post once again

eaglesfan_45
10-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Quit being such a homer. We all know your in denial that your going to have to play this guy twice a year from now one, but he is a top 5 QB in the league right now. He has great accuracy, a great improvisor, solid mobility... basically most of the things you want in a QB. Up until this game he was just shredding apart everyone, then he has one bad game (in which he still led his team to victory when it counted) and one bad game doesnt change anything.

calm down I was kidding :p
Some of my best friends are Cowboys fans and its fun to poke fun at Tony Romo

Sniper
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM

Yeah I'm freaking out. I mean, look at those 9 points he led them to against the Eagles last year. I really don't want to face him, he might crack double digits this year!

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
an interesting stat I noticed on Romo, was that since his first start, he's been first in the NFL in passing yds, 2nd in tds, and 4th in qb rating...no he hasnt even started a full 16 games yet, and I still expect more struggles to come...even though he sat for awhile these is his first go round in actual meaningful games, and he's done very well...And he's won 11 of those 15 games he started, and he didnt have a defense or return man to bail him out of trouble every time he played bad...

good things to come for Romo, it was nice to see him rebound at the end of last game, but I think whats even more interesting is to see how he bounces back next week after a horrible game, vs a real defense(since every time he plays well someone finds a cop out), so there arent any excuses this game...I dont think he needs to light up the pats, just dont turn the ball over

Sniper
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
I dont think he needs to light up the pats, just dont turn the ball over

Are you kidding me? You're really going to try to beat the Pats 14-10, 17-14? Best of luck with that. Romo's going to have to play out of his mind

LonghornsLegend
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Are you kidding me? You're really going to try to beat the Pats 14-10, 17-14? Best of luck with that. Romo's going to have to play out of his mind

I really dont feel like he has to throw 5 TD's and have a qb rating of 120, and what your basically saying is there is no possible way the pats score under 20 points this year at all? Defenses could make some plays, I dont think the only way we win is if its a shootout...

but even still, if we do score 31 points, its not like romo needs to carry this entire team on his back to win

bigbluedefense
10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
oh boy, this thread is gonna be this year's Ben/Eli/Rivers thread.....

Sniper
10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I really dont feel like he has to throw 5 TD's and have a qb rating of 120, and what your basically saying is there is no possible way the pats score under 20 points this year at all? Defenses could make some plays, I dont think the only way we win is if its a shootout...

but even still, if we do score 31 points, its not like romo needs to carry this entire team on his back to win

I really don't think the Pats will score under 20 in any game this year. The Cowboys' D isn't that good. How are you going to cover Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson etc...There's going to be a mismatch somewhere. I like Terrence Newman, but I think he's going to have a tough week. I could be wrong (sure have been before) but I think Moss has a big day, among others. Roy Williams is going to get picked on a few times this week too.

Jughead10
10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I really don't think the Pats will score under 20 in any game this year. The Cowboys' D isn't that good. How are you going to cover Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson etc...There's going to be a mismatch somewhere. I like Terrence Newman, but I think he's going to have a tough week. I could be wrong (sure have been before) but I think Moss has a big day, among others. Roy Williams is going to get picked on a few times this week too.

I just said this in the week 6 thread:

This is a big mismatch for the Cowboys. NE is at its best on offense when they go empty back field and spread out the offense with 4 WRs and a TE, or 3WRs, a TE, and Faulk. Tom Brady plays point guard and just delivers the ball all over the field. That does not match up well at all with the Cowboys especially.

I'm also not sure Newman can keep up with Moss and he certainly won't have any help over the top from Roy Williams.

Job
10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
The Pats are really unstoppable on offense. I mean, look at those great defenses they faced in their first 5 games, and even them couldn't hold them back...

Sniper
10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
I just said this in the week 6 thread:

This is a big mismatch for the Cowboys. NE is at its best on offense when they go empty back field and spread out the offense with 4 WRs and a TE, or 3WRs, a TE, and Faulk. Tom Brady plays point guard and just delivers the ball all over the field. That does not match up well at all with the Cowboys especially.

I'm also not sure Newman can keep up with Moss and he certainly won't have any help over the top from Roy Williams.

My bad, I honestly didn't see your post. I didn't copy it or anything.

Jughead10
10-11-2007, 11:04 AM
My bad, I honestly didn't see your post. I didn't copy it or anything.

No actually I said it afterwards. I'm just saying we hold the same opinion.

scottyboy
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Carrie Underwood has a new single, its called "so small". She's also dating Tony Romo... make of this what you will

BigDawg819
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Carrie Underwood has a new single, its called "so small". She's also dating Tony Romo... make of this what you will

As Kelso would say:

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xenos
10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I would like to see how a Wade Phillips defense do against Brady with his new toys.

BrownsTown
10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
As Kelso would say:

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's some down home country burning there...

Xiomera
10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
The tone of this thread changes a lot when he threw 5 INT's on Monday Night.

LQTM

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I will put it this way. All you guys that are so damn smart now and know so many things, let's hear your projections for Romo's future. I'm talking about this season, both in individual stats and in wins/losses, as well as into future seasons.

I know this, there were plenty of posters (including either Jug or #10, who actually had it in his sig) who laughed at the idea of Romo going for 4,000 and 30 TDs before the season. Right now he is on pace for nearly 5,000 and over 40 TDs. Does anyone want to venture a guess on where he'll finish up? If you don't have the balls to stand up and say that he won't get past 4,000 or 30 TDs, then you are basically admitting that you were wrong.

Despite what people have painted this thread as, it was only created to laugh at the dire predictions based upon what he did last year. Anyone who said "Romo is a pretty good QB, but I still have a few questions about him" is fine by me. I still have questions about him. But if you don't recognize that he is well on his way to being one of the best QBs in the league (and that's not even to say that he is one right now, just on his way) then stand up right now and tell us what your crystal ball says about him for the rest of the year. This is a guy who has been as good in his first 15 starts as any QB in NFL history. The only guy that compares (#s wise).......Kurt Warner. We all know how that turned out. So don't act like he is still a young QB in the mold of an Alex Smith or Philip Rivers who has had some success and some failure, and is working towards establishing himself in the NFL. Tony has sprung to life as a full-fledged upper-echelon QB in this league right out of the gate. While it's not clear exactly where he will settle himself in the pecking order of NFL QBs, it IS apparent that he will be an above average QB in this league, barring injury, with the potential to be right at the top.

That is really all I've been saying from the beginning.

Jughead10
10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
He's also on pace for about 25 or 26 INTs. You also know that guys are always on pace for much higher than they finish at this time of the year.

Don Vito
10-12-2007, 12:30 PM
He may be on pace for some huge numbers, but he is also tied for second in the NFL in interceptions, he is on pace for about 30.

Don't get me wrong, I like Romo a lot. It is just really hard to predict the rest of the season and it usually never turns out the way it is projected to. Before the Browns game Randy Moss was on pace for about 125 catches for 2000 yards and 28 TDS, that most likely won't happen.

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Sure, but to say that he will reach 4,000 and 30 is--again, barring injury--highly, highly reasonable at this point. He may not keep up the pace he's on....but even if he slows down quite a bit, he will still reach plateaus that people scoffed at before the season.

So stand up and say it, if you're so smart: Romo will not get 4,000 yards or 30 tds. Be a man and do it, or admit you were wrong.

OR if you want, you may also say that he might reach those plateaus, but he will also throw 20+ INTs and will cost his team multiple games with his mistakes. I will accept either one.

But if you won't predict that, then you are admitting your wrong. Let's hear it. Everyone wants to take the cheap shots now, but they aren't willing to lay their credibility on the line with an actual prediction.

Shiver
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I think Romo is going to end up with numbers between Eli Manning of '04 (3,762, 24-17) and '98 Brett Favre (4,212 31-23).

Jughead10
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Sure, but to say that he will reach 4,000 and 30 is--again, barring injury--highly, highly reasonable at this point. He may not keep up the pace he's on....but even if he slows down quite a bit, he will still reach plateaus that people scoffed at before the season.

So stand up and say it, if you're so smart: Romo will not get 4,000 yards or 30 tds. Be a man and do it, or admit you were wrong.

OR if you want, you may also say that he might reach those plateaus, but he will also throw 20+ INTs and will cost his team multiple games with his mistakes. I will accept either one.

But if you won't predict that, then you are admitting your wrong. Let's hear it. Everyone wants to take the cheap shots now, but they aren't willing to lay their credibility on the line with an actual prediction.

I'm not really sure if I even adamantly shot down that notion in the first place. I can't remember. I never put in my sig, that was #10. I'll say he'll get slightly less than that. Maybe 3,800 and 27 or 28 with a decent number of Ints as well (Approaching 20, maybe slightly over). Road games will be tough for him as the weather cools, and defenses will be better prepared for Garrett's offense which isn't as elaborate as many would think. Not to mention you play tougher teams down the stretch

BigDawg819
10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Tony Romo is the 2nd coming OMGZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

There DMW is that what you wanted to hear?

Don Vito
10-12-2007, 01:00 PM

I think Romo will end up with 30+ TDs, I believe that. 4,000 yards is difficult, but I am going to say Romo will pass for 4,000 yards. However, he will throw for around 20-25 picks as well.

There is no denying Romo's production thus far this season, he has and should continue to put up solid numbers. The interceptions are a question mark and I want to see if he can find ways to win in the postseason.

Sniper
10-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Tony Romo is the 2nd coming OMGZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

There DMW is that what you wanted to hear?

Troy who?????

bigbluedefense
10-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Im a believer in Romo, Ive felt that he was the real deal prior to the season starting.

But its waaaay too early to project his season just yet. Hell, if I did that with Manning last year after 8 games he wouldve been a PBer.

If he does in fact taper off at the end of the season, theres gonna be a lot of people that will be bumping this thread just to spite you. I do feel that he's the real deal though, so if he does in fact play poorly later on, I'll also be wrong.

M.O.T.H.
10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
You cant use Romo's current int number to make a real projection. He only had three prior to that game. He's not going to average 1.6 ints per game for the rest of the year.

Jughead10
10-12-2007, 02:54 PM
You cant use Romo's current int number to make a real projection. He only had three prior to that game. He's not going to average 1.6 ints per game for the rest of the year.

True. Its probably just a dumb as using a projection 5 games into a season when playing two winless teams.

scottyboy
10-12-2007, 02:57 PM
projections dont mean jack. Randy Moss is on pace for like a billion yards...

Jughead10
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
projections dont mean jack. Randy Moss is on pace for like a billion yards...

Osi is on pace to tie the sack record.

Plax is on pace for 20+ TDs.

None of those things are happening.

Shiver
10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
If I recall correctly DMW has been critical of Eli Manning. What if he finishes with a season typical of Eli Manning the past couple of years? That is 3,800 yards, 25 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, for example. I have a feeling he wouldn't view it the same way.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, one thing is for sure.

This next game is either gonna temporarily shuttup alot of cowboy fans, or temporarily shuttup alot of guys who've been critical of Romo.

Either way, expect to see another 4 pages of discussion in this thread by Monday.

McBain
10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
if the title was just Tony Romo and not "anyone want to take shots at romo" i don't think there would be nearly as much traffic. For the record... my answer will always be yes.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
if the title was just Tony Romo and not "anyone want to take shots at romo" i don't think there would be nearly as much traffic. For the record... my answer will always be yes.

Yeah, I think thats where the mistake was made. Imagine if a Bears fan made the same thread last year when Rex looked unstoppable the first 3 games? Oh man...

As NFC East rivals, let's hope thats the case with Romo too lol :) Although I doubt it :(

Shiver
10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, one thing is for sure.

This next game is either gonna temporarily shuttup alot of cowboy fans, or temporarily shuttup alot of guys who've been critical of Romo.

Either way, expect to see another 4 pages of discussion in this thread by Monday.

And I have it set on 40 posts per page... :eek:

bigbluedefense
10-12-2007, 03:35 PM
And I have it set on 40 posts per page... :eek:

Remember the Eli/Rivers/Ben thread last year? I think that went up to like 40 pages. Im not sure if it got locked or not, it probably couldve went on even more.

Shiver
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Don't forget about Michael Vick threads. Boy am I glad we don't have anymore "is he overrated" threads anymore. It won't be too long before Vince Young starts getting those.

BrownsTown
10-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Don't forget about Michael Vick threads. Boy am I glad we don't have anymore "is he overrated" threads anymore. It won't be too long before Vince Young starts getting those.

Everyone knows Vince is overrated by the media, there really isn't any argument there.

Shiver
10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
If any of the Young defenders see that post it will begin...

McBain
10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Everyone knows Vince is overrated by the media, there really isn't any argument there.

i agree... he comes back to win games where if he was so amazing he wouldn't have dug them into the hole into the first place. He has what? 5 ints this year and 3 tds?

BrownsTown
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
i agree... he comes back to win games where if he was so amazing he wouldn't have dug them into the hole into the first place. He has what? 5 ints this year and 3 tds?

He's overrated by the media because of what happened in college basically. The only real argument is how much he's overrated. They paint him as this amazing dominating QB which he certainly is not.

McBain
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM
He's overrated by the media because of what happened in college basically. The only real argument is how much he's overrated. They paint him as this amazing dominating QB which he certainly is not.

his throwing motion is ugly too. but the media is like "he just wins games... what a gamer-face." Anyways his luck will run out the, the figurative kiwanuka's of the world will eventually learn to wrap up and Vincesanity will hopefully end.

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the mistake was probably in my naming of the thread. People still want to take shots at Brady and Manning, so of course the answer will always be yes to the question, but......such is life on message boards.

My response to you, Shiv, is that 1) Eli has never topped 3800 yards, nor were the numbers you gave "typical" of him, but rather his best effort to date, 2) that Eli has generated his numbers by sheer volume; while his total of 3700+ yards two years ago looks impressive, the YPA of 6.75 was in the bottom 3rd of the league. Romo, on the other hand, still leads the league in YPA with a very robust 8.9. Oh, coincidently enough, he also led it last year, hmmmmm.

So I'm still waiting. Anyone who wants to "put their money where their mouth is", so to speak, and predict a lousy full season for Tony is welcome to. To me, a prediction of 20+ Ints would be close to warranting that. Romo had 3 picks in 121 attempts coming into that game. He had 5 in his first 39 attempts of that game. That is what is known, in statistical terms, as an outlier. In laymen's terms, its called a fluke. If he does the same this weekend, then you can start with the flaming and I will stand defenseless before you. Until then, you should all take a page out of BBD's book and just admit that he's is already a pretty good QB who looks like he could be among the elite before long.

McBain
10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
the cowboys collapse and don't make the playoffs. t.o. gets pissed... jerry doesn't pay romo. book it

Sniper
10-12-2007, 07:33 PM
the cowboys collapse and don't make the playoffs. t.o. gets pissed... jerry doesn't pay romo. book it

I would enjoy that immensely. I hope Samuel shuts down Owens and Moss goes for something like 11-163-3 and Owens blows up.

LonghornsLegend
10-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Well im saying that Cowboys win this game 27-24, call me what you want...I refuse to act like this isnt the NFL, and every team the pats play has no chance at all...Honestly id be guessing if i tried to tell you who will have a bad/good game...but some standout players for both teams

Dallas:
Crayton-will need to be huge, catches everything and will probably have to make most of the big plays
Barber-need to establish the run to control the clock and settle Romo down, and we need a power run game, hope he sees the field alot more then normal
Anthony Spencer-Obviously the attention goes to Ware, he needs to wreck havoc on the other side of the line

New England:
Wes Welker-hope to see T New on him because he causes the most problems, and will probably have the most receptions/yards for them
Brushci-One of the smartest lbers ever, he always ends up in the right spot, and i think he picks romo at least once
Watson-please god dont let him get man to man with roy, hopefully we put watkins in alot and let him stay back deep, its not like he's the best guy at judging the deep ball but hell what other choice do we have, watson will have alot of huge catches...

I know Randy Moss is Randy Moss, but i dont think he goes off, he will probably see alot of Newman, and dont think he wont have a safety over top trying to hit him in the mouth at every chance

Sniper
10-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Well im saying that Cowboys win this game 27-24, call me what you want..

Wes Welker-hope to see T New on him because he causes the most problems, and will probably have the most receptions/yards for them

I know Randy Moss is Randy Moss, but i dont think he goes off, he will probably see alot of Newman, and dont think he wont have a safety over top trying to hit him in the mouth at every chance

I don't agree, and I don't see this being close I'm thinking 34-21.

And how exactly will Newman cover Welker and Moss? ;) Lord knows that safety over the top won't be Roy Williams ;)

Number 10
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I'll go on record as saying that Romo won't do 4,000+ and 30+ this year, if my sig hasn't made it clear enough.

One of those? Possibly, but not both.

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Great, that's one.

FYI, for Romo to fall short of those markers, he would have to "only" get ~2400 yards and 16 TDs. On a per-game basis, compared with his first 15 starts, that would represent a 22% decrease per game in yardage and a 28% decrease in TDs.....and that would still be a 3900 yard and 29 TD season, good enough to make the Pro Bowl in any year.

Oh, and if you want to compare that to just this season, it would be a remarkable 28% dropoff in yards per game and a 44% dropoff in TDs....and that doesn't even count his two rushing TDs.

Needless to say, he would have to experience a pretty significant dropoff in play to fall short of those standards.

Also, just to drop some stats. I mentioned earlier that Romo has been as good as anyone over his first 15 games. Here are his 15 game totals:

305-481-63.4%-4149yds-8.62YPA-29TDs-18Ints-rat~94.0

And that is after the worst game of his career. If you were to simply take the first 14 games, that stat line would look a hell of a lot better.

One last thing, when you consider that 28% of his career Ints as a starter happened in one game, that should tell you all you need to know about that performance.

So Number 10 stepped up to the plate, any others?

Sniper
10-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Great, that's one.

And that is after the worst game of his career. If you were to simply take the first 14 games, that stat line would look a hell of a lot better.

So are we just supposed to forget about this game because he sucked?

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 11:52 PM
No, but when you are dealing with a relatively small sample size, one game either way can really skew the overall picture. Because "outliers" tend to even out over the long haul, you can expect that game of 5 Ints to be off-set by plenty of 0 int games in the future, but right now it severely skews the Int part of the picture. Considering the guy never threw more than 2 picks in any of his previous 14 starts, I think its fair to say that was much more likely the exception than the rule.

Consider that Romo's Int% going into that game was a solid 2.5% (which would be upper-half of the league in most years; in '06 Peyton had 1.6%, Brady 2.3%, Palmer 2.5%), but afterwards was a staggering 4.7% (over a full season likely to place among the bottom 3 in the NFL)--good for a whopping 88% increase. All signs point towards this game being "one of those days", an aberration that is filed away and brought up down the road as an example of a good player having a bad day.

Forgotten? Definitely not.

Placed in its proper context? I would hope so.

McBain
10-14-2007, 07:01 PM

the beginning of the end. i just hi-fived myself.

BrownsTown
10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
the beginning of the end. i just hi-fived myself.

Foreshadowing five. *whack*.

BigDawg819
10-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Tony Romo is no Tom Brady.

M.O.T.H.
10-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Tony played very well today...our offense was barely on the field but, he had a nice game.

10-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Thw Cowboys played better then the score showed. Timely penalties were their ultimate downfall.

Geo
10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Romo didn't have too bad a game, at first thought, other than his accuracy being poor on the first few drives.

Modano
10-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Romo didn't have too bad a game, at first thought, other than his accuracy being poor on the first few drives.

I don't know why but our offense is slow to start. Not only Romo, but the entire offense. Romo starts games throwing high and unaccurate balls, the WR's starts games making bad efforts, and the running backs can't go anywhere.