PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Hall

BlindSite
09-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Carolina's next possession, Hall let his temper and Steve Smith get the best of him.

The two stars had been jawing at each other the entire game, with Hall holding the upper hand in the first half. However, on the first play from scrimmage after the Falcons went ahead, Delhomme threw deep down the sideline for Smith. Clearly beaten, Hall had no choice except to drag down the receiver for a 37-yard interference penalty

Apparently frustrated, Hall gave Smith a shove to the upper chest on the next play, drawing a 15-yard personal foul. Then, with Carolina apparently forced into a field-goal try after Delhomme was sacked, Hall drew an unsportsmanlike penalty for continuing to jabber at Smith.

That gave the Panthers an automatic first down, and they quickly punched it in for the tying TD, Delhomme's 5-yard pass to Jeff King. Hall even got into it with his own coach, Bobby Petrino, before being dragged away by a couple of teammates.

"I felt like I was on the bad end of the stick," Hall said. "I felt like a lot of calls could have gone either way. They all went against me."

Petrino considered yanking Hall out of the game, but let him finish.

"DeAngelo understands that's not something we do," the first-year coach said. "We were in a position where we had a chance to win the game, and that (last) penalty gave them an opportunity to score a touchdown."

Smith piled on, clearly relishing his role in Hall's meltdown.

"He took a cheap shot at me," the receiver said. "That's the kind of player he is."

Hall's antics clearly turned the momentum in Carolina's favor, even though Delhomme went out on the next possession. He threw a short pass and quickly motioned to the sideline, even dropping to a knee before he could get there.

So Hall basically gives up 72 yards (which in all likelihood would've gone to smith on the long touchdown throw anyway) and a touchdown.

Then he gets into it with his coach on the sideline.

THEN apparently he got his ass beat in the locker room by his team mates.

HALL BEAT UP IN FALCONS LOCKER ROOM?

There are uncorroborated rumors making the rounds that Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was beat up, presumably by one or more teammates, following a Falcons loss that was fueled in part by Hall's inability to control his emotions.

After being flagged for a total of 37 yards on a second-half drive that the Panthers used to tie the game, Hall got into a sideline confrontation with coach Bobby Petrino.

We don't know for sure whether Hall was indeed roughed up or otherwise accosted by teammates after the game, but it wouldn't surprise us to find out that the rumor is true. Hall is a brash and outspoken member of the organization, and his Virginia Tech ties to Mike Vick probably have prompted some in the locker room to view him differently in the wake of Vick's legal troubles. Today's actions would have potentially been enough to get a frustrated Falcon to convert hostile feelings toward Hall into action.

1st quote per NFL
2nd quote per PFT

Discuss

Addict
09-24-2007, 03:01 AM
this is terrible. Get rid of him, I'm thinking a trade to the lions.

Addict
09-24-2007, 03:05 AM
and those last two Penalties were really overreactions from the Ref, Smith was doing the same thing.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
LOL at Smith calling it a cheap shot? Did you watch the game? Did you see what happened. Hall pressed him at the line, like he was doing all night (in the process of holding him to 1 catch, 2 catches for 70 yards if you give the the P.I call) then, once he realised it was a run play he stopped. It's funny how you dont mention Smith's block in the back on Hall and his consequent push for 2-3 yards behind the LOS 3-4 seconds after the following play.

Now I'm the first to admit Hall an idiot sometimes and talks to much, ill even agree that he is over-rated and i thought he would get beat all night by Smith. However today against the panthers , is the best pure cover 'cornerback' i have ever seen him play. He held Steve Smith to 1 catch, that is almost unherd of.

....and yep, if we didnt have Hall there wouldnt of been those two personal foul penalties OR the Def pass interferance call, You wanna know why? Cause any other CB on our team and probably the entire league bar Champ Bailey would of been burned and givin up the TD to Smith on that Def pass interference play and not been in position to grab him. They also would not of been frustrating Smith enough throughout the night (through excellent play) to get enough under his skin to even utter a word of jawwing to Steve Smith and have him bite back.

Without Hall today we loose by 28 points at least. Lewis Sanders on Steve Smith is about a bigger mismatch between a big slow CB and an amazing small WR as you can get. Smith would of scored 3 TD's at least and 150+ yards. Dont belive me? does Houston have a top CB? No. What happened last week? But thats ok, cause none of those CB were in the game enough to have a competitive BS penatly against them because there were being schoolled so much by smith that their jaw was dragging along the turf and therefore they werent frustrating Steve Smith to the extent Hall was.

Either way the guy is still 23, 2 years younger than some of the rookie CB's that came out this year. He will learn from his mistakes, either way he did a great job on Smith.

Also PFT? are you serious? not quite the most reliable site. Especially in light of Lawyer Milloy calling hall "the best player on our defence" and saying that he had played awesome tonight

JagHombre22
09-24-2007, 04:38 AM
an this is why Deangelo Hall thinks he's the best corner in football? hmm....

ATLDirtyBirds
09-24-2007, 05:02 AM
From what I understand that PI penalty, could have gone either way. He effectively shut down one of the top receievers in the game, who was just coming off an amazing preformance. Say what you want, but DeAngelo is back on his way to that shutdown corner level.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-24-2007, 05:27 AM

so how have the other CB's fared against Smith this season? or does 1 catch + a PI call equal 150yrds+ & 3 tds? What else is there to compare him too. We will see how many other corners limit Smith to 1 catch this year.

kwilk103
09-24-2007, 06:51 AM
newman did it 2 yrs ago; smith had 1 catch at the end of the 3rd, smith got frustrated and got ejected

he gave up 2 touchdowns last year

Addict
09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
newman did it 2 yrs ago; smith had 1 catch at the end of the 3rd, smith got frustrated and got ejected

great! the question was this year, try again.

falconsrule
09-24-2007, 07:14 AM
This was one of the worst called game I have ever watch.The refs clearly gave this game to Carolina and if your going to throw a flag it should have been on both of those guys not just D.Hall.Peppers was owned for the whole game though

Ho0k Em'
09-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Do you expect him not to think he's the best?

vatech=accdomination
09-24-2007, 08:26 AM
terriblecall, i was happy to see jeff king score though

Vikes99ej
09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
terriblecall, i was happy to see jeff king score though

Yeah, I'm glad to see that the Panthers are finally using him. I still like DeAngelo Hall a lot.

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 09:39 AM
What are you guys talking about? DHall outside that one play locked Smith up, and for the most part has been shut down this whole season.

People are basing their opinions of him on his personality, opposed to his actual play on the field. He's been stellar so far on the field.

Addict
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
What are you guys talking about? DHall outside that one play locked Smith up, and for the most part has been shut down this whole season.

People are basing their opinions of him on his personality, opposed to his actual play on the field. He's been stellar so far on the field.

exactly what we were saying to the 'DeAngelo Sucks' crowd.

fenikz
09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
well they better ship him out

Come to AZ DeAngelo :p

Addict
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Come to Detroit DeAngelo :p

fixed it for you,.

RyanLeaf#1
09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I dont blame anyone on Atlanta for going after him.

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Come to the G-Men DeAngelo :p

Fixed it again. =D

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Because he IS one of the best CBs in football. Period. He's a Falcon and a division rival, but he's still one of my favorite players in the league bar none.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
From what I understand that PI penalty, could have gone either way. He effectively shut down one of the top receievers in the game, who was just coming off an amazing preformance. Say what you want, but DeAngelo is back on his way to that shutdown corner level.

Then you are wrong, he was 100% beat, burned, torched on that play. He pulled Smith down out of desperation because it was a sure TD if he didn't. Truthfully, it was a smart play. And he did more or less shut Smith down, though he goofed on a zero route again, but that's more than acceptable if that's the only pass you give up. What's not acceptable is drawing two personal fouls at the turning point of a game. Despite his great play, he was a big reason the Falcons lost

And fwiw on Hall's play, Chris Gamble has been shutdown for 3 games too. Three games. Though I will admit that the crusade to label Hall as overrated has caused him to be a bit underrated overall, and this is from someone who was on the Hall = overrated bandwagon from day 1.

scar988
09-24-2007, 11:45 AM
according to my source HAll didn't get his ass whupped. he did however get bitched out by Brooking, Coleman, Milloy and Petrino after the game... apparently they told him he did a great job but shouldn't have lost his cool and should shut up every game and not worry about the jawing.

scar988
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Then you are wrong, he was 100% beat, burned, torched on that play. He pulled Smith down out of desperation because it was a sure TD if he didn't. Truthfully, it was a smart play. And he did more or less shut Smith down, though he goofed on a zero route again, but that's more than acceptable if that's the only pass you give up. What's not acceptable is drawing two personal fouls at the turning point of a game. Despite his great play, he was a big reason the Falcons lost

And fwiw on Hall's play, Chris Gamble has been shutdown for 3 games too. Three games. Though I will admit that the crusade to label Hall as overrated has caused him to be a bit underrated overall, and this is from someone who was on the Hall = overrated bandwagon from day 1.
Gamble hasn't been shut down... Jenkins got around 30 yards to his side and Roddy got around 45 to his side...

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Honestly, right now, he's been playing like a top 5 corner to me. He's been shutdown for 3 games, and has done a better job on Smith than anyone in the league so far.

And its not easy being a Falcon defender right now with that putrid offense getting no production at all.

falconsrule
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM

I really dont understand why D.Hall was penalize and Steve Smith wasnt that was clearly a bias call that the ref made and it suck because Hall shut Smith down only 1rec 10yds.

tylerb929
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
"Apparently frustrated, Hall gave Smith a shove to the upper chest on the next play, drawing a 15-yard personal foul"

Oh my god no, a football player shoved another football player in the chest during the play of a football game? That call was BS, I don't care about Hall or the Falcons (don't like them or hate them), but that call was BS. He shut down Smith and he was jamming at the line, looked like a good clean jam. He hit Smith with his hands, in his shoulder pads, and knocked him back..... isn't that what your supposed to do?

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
And its not easy being a Falcon defender right now with that putrid offense getting no production at all.

Granted they didn't look TOO bad against the Panthers yesterday. Why Norwood isn't getting more touches is beyond me.

rsx
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
"Apparently frustrated, Hall gave Smith a shove to the upper chest on the next play, drawing a 15-yard personal foul"

Oh my god no, a football player shoved another football player in the chest during the play of a football game? That call was BS, I don't care about Hall or the Falcons (don't like them or hate them), but that call was BS. He shut down Smith and he was jamming at the line, looked like a good clean jam. He hit Smith with his hands, in his shoulder pads, and knocked him back..... isn't that what your supposed to do?

THANK YOU!

There were a good number of questionable calls that game. The refs decided the outcome of that game, and that is not fair.

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Granted they didn't look TOO bad against the Panthers yesterday. Why Norwood isn't getting more touches is beyond me.

I don't get that either. Im not digging their run to pass ratio that much either.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Honestly, right now, he's been playing like a top 5 corner to me. He's been shutdown for 3 games, and has done a better job on Smith than anyone in the league so far.

Did you actually watch the game? The Falcons offense looked just fine against the Panther's overrated defense. Atlanta had the TOP advantage BY FAR until the fourth quarter when the game was salted away with runs, and even then the TOP finished pretty much 50/50. Carolina only passed 22 times (John Abraham was a big reason for this I believe), and for Smith it's more like 18 since Delhomme got injured and Carr came in and mainly targeted Colbert.

Dunta Robinson did just as good a job IMO. Smith had 8 catches 100+ yards 3 TDs that game but that doesnt tell the whole story. Smith's first two TDs were like 5 minutes into the game on Houston's #2 CB. Then Houston realized it was dumb to play the Bears defense on Steve, so they put Robinson on him. He kept Smith out of the action until the Texans were ahead, then Smith scored his last TD on that insane play where he broke like 5 tackles on a prevent defense in garbage time

Of course, the Panthers passed 41 times that game. I'd say Robinson held Smith in check for the 20-25 pass plays he covered, while Hall had Smith for 15-20. Robinson also got an INT covering him, though I'm hardly grading that as good coverage since it was more of a busted route

gamble did not have a "side" the panthers were in a zone the entire game and he did not give up much of anything. the media even phrased a question to him "on his relative shutdown play," though of course that's the media so take them with a grain of salt

bigbluedefense
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Did you actually watch the game? The Falcons offense looked just fine against the Panther's overrated defense. Atlanta had the TOP advantage BY FAR until the fourth quarter when the game was salted away with runs, and even then the TOP finished pretty much 50/50. Carolina only passed 22 times (John Abraham was a big reason for this I believe), and for Smith it's more like 18 since Delhomme got injured and Carr came in and mainly targeted Colbert.

Dunta Robinson did just as good a job IMO. Smith had 8 catches 100+ yards 3 TDs that game but that doesnt tell the whole story. Smith's first two TDs were like 5 minutes into the game on Houston's #2 CB. Then Houston realized it was dumb to play the Bears defense on Steve, so they put Robinson on him. He kept Smith out of the action until the Texans were ahead, then Smith scored his last TD on that insane play where he broke like 5 tackles on a prevent defense in garbage time

Of course, the Panthers passed 41 times that game. I'd say Robinson held Smith in check for the 20-25 pass plays he covered, while Hall had Smith for 15-20. Robinson also got an INT covering him, though I'm hardly grading that as good coverage since it was more of a busted route

gamble did not have a "side" the panthers were in a zone the entire game and he did not give up much of anything. the media even phrased a question to him "on his relative shutdown play," though of course that's the media so take them with a grain of salt

Im saying in general. Yeah they played ok yesterday, but in general its not gonna be easy playing defense for the Falcons with their lackluster offense.

And you might not want to admit it, but Hall plays Smith better than almost any CB in the league. The only CB who does a better job against Smith is Terrance Newman. And probably you give Champ the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think theyve faced eachother recently.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
If the rest of the defense played as well as Hall did, Atlanta would have won. DeAngelo Hall was incredible and easily handled Steve Smith. DeAngelo Hall is a great player. The team will punish him and Brooking and Milloy will rein him in.

Sure he lost his cool, but so did Steve Smith. Why the refs penalized Hall for talking and not Smith is something I don't understand. I don't understand the "personal foul" call either, he jammed Smith during a play and the refs thought it was too hard? What is that?

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
In general, Hall plays Smith as well as any CB in the league. That doesn't automatically put him among the elite, nor does it give him credit for any game the Falcons play the Panthers and Smith has a bad game. I'm not willing to give him props for the game they ran the ball 52 times with Weinke as the QB, for instance. He had a great game yesterday, though the penalties really killed the Falcons, but that wasn't even the best game he's had on Smith in my opinion

Also I dont get the "if everyone played as well as Hall we'd have won" argument. No one with decent football knowledge states that Hall sucks. He's a #1 CB without a doubt and an above average one at that. The issue is whether he's elite and that's really something I don't care to argue about a whole lot.

John Abraham was a much bigger problem for the Panthers yesterday than Hall. Of course he was matched up with Travelle Wharton, not Steve Smith, but nonetheless

On the penalties, Smith probably should have been flagged once. I don't have much sympathy for Hall getting two unsportsmanlike calls, though, because he should have been flagged for shoving Smith in the first quarter too. The refs also gave you guys a make up call on Chris Harris for taunting later, but Joey Heisman failed to take advantage

ShutDwn
09-24-2007, 02:07 PM
If the rest of the defense played as well as Hall did, Atlanta would have won. DeAngelo Hall was incredible and easily handled Steve Smith. DeAngelo Hall is a great player. The team will punish him and Brooking and Milloy will rein him in.

Sure he lost his cool, but so did Steve Smith. Why the refs penalized Hall for talking and not Smith is something I don't understand. I don't understand the "personal foul" call either, he jammed Smith during a play and the refs thought it was too hard? What is that?

They flagged Hall on the "jam" because they were trying to send a message that they weren't going to take any BS. They obviously viewed it as a unnecessary seeing as neither had anything to do with the play.

The second, obviously nobody listened to the official call of the play. The official said Hall was abusive to the official. They have the right to call that, like it or not.

As for easily handling, Steve Dropped two passes, which would have brought his total to about 25 yards probably. Then you factor in his would be TD, that is another 80 yards and a TD. Hardly easy, not to mention Abraham in Jake's back pocket and Foster running crazy were huge reasons why Steve wasn't as effective.

As for losing cool, Steve Smith didn't. Steve has been around, he knows how DeAngelo thinks, he has been the victim of bad refs before. On the PI, Steve made as big a deal of it as possible, obviously it got under Hall's skin and the refs viewed the "jam" as retaliation. Steve is right though, Hall is a cheap player, how many times has he thrown punches, he went at Smith's helmet in this game as well before the escalation.

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
As critical as I have been of DeAngelo, that personal foul for the push was complete and utter bull ****. I don't know how Steve Smith gets away with it, but he is one of the biggest punks in the league. He went to my favorite school, and I still can't stand his ass.

That said, the pass interference play was a straight burn-job by Smith. DeAngelo was lost and beaten badly. If he didn't grab him it was going to be a sure TD, so you have to count that against him. Still, it seems like he's sticking with his man a lot more this year, though I can't give a truly qualified opinion because I haven't watched a lot of the Falcons to this point. We'll see.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 02:25 PM
There are rumors that Petrino may suspend Hall for the Texans game to make a statement about discipline. That would be ballsy, seeing as how the team needs all its big guns to actually win any games. Although the Texans may have Andre Davis and Kevin Walter as their starting receivers so you don't need a pro-bowl corner against them per say. I think the far more likely situation is the team fines him a significant chunk of change and the team leaders rein him in.

BlindSite
09-24-2007, 03:25 PM

This was when you guys used a linebacker in bump coverage a CB and a safety wasn't it.... Because I remember this game and it was the same method that was used by Seattle. Linebacker to press, corner to cover and a safety over the top.

Smith got thrown out of putting his hand on a referee to get his attention to talk to him, the same way players do every week.

When a receiver jukes around a cornerback, has him turned around and is 5 yards ahead with the ball in the air, has to adjust and is then grabbed and pulled to the ground from behind that isn't what you call a penalty that can go either way.

First half was all deangelo but it was all falcons, Panthers didn't do anything in the first half.

After he dragged smith down and gave up all those penalties smith was out for almost all of the fourth quarter and only checked in and out on third downs because he was hurt, that's where the "cheap shot" comment came from.

Hall takes a guy down from behind because he couldn't cover him man to man, then in the process hurts him and gives up another 40 yards and a TD, he's not a shut down corner.

He's decent.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
You Panthers fans should know better. No players can cover Smith throughout the game, not even Champ Bailey. Taking Smith down before he could catch that pass was the smart decision. DeAngelo Hall has played Smith has good as any other corner in the league. I find it funny that you think Hall is only "decent." Then again the Panthers secondary, which you have praised all off-season, gave up 360+ yards, 2:0 TD/INT ratio to Joey Harrington and a Falcons offense that struggled against good defenses like Minnesota and Jacksonville. I bet you still think Lucas, Gamble and Marshall are the best set of corners in the league, even after being torn up by Andre Johnson in week 2 and Roddy White and Michael Jenkins in week 3.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
It sounds like he made a great play on the pass interference. He made a mistake and got beat, but he didn't let them get the huge play.

EDIT: Swear on my life I didn't read Shiver's post which said the same thing I did, plus a tad more.

DMWSackMachine
09-24-2007, 04:14 PM
This was when you guys used a linebacker in bump coverage a CB and a safety wasn't it.... Because I remember this game and it was the same method that was used by Seattle. Linebacker to press, corner to cover and a safety over the top.

Smith got thrown out of putting his hand on a referee to get his attention to talk to him, the same way players do every week.

lol, no. This was one of just a couple games in which we used Newman man-up on a WR for an entire game. Newman held him to 1 catch for 18 yards most of the way through the 3rd, until a play in which Carolina fumbled, Smith picked it up and ran around end and out of bounds. He got smacked hard and felt like it was a late hit, so he got up and got in the referee's face, grabbing his shirt and pushing him at the same time, so the ref threw his ass out.

That's what happened. There was no bracket coverage, no rolling of coverage, and Smith absolutely deserved to get thrown out of the game, and admitted as much afterward.

Nice spin, though.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Based on what I saw, anybody who may have smacked up Hall in the locker room would have been justified. I hope somebody put a pacifier in his mouth and showed him that it's not all about him, like what little babies think when they first enter the world. Hopefully he learned from this whole thing. He needs to learn to keep his cool and never, ever speak to any of his coaches in the manner he did. Not if he wants to be a part of an NFL team. He should've just let his play speak for itself. The way he acted is the way a poorly behaved 5 year old acts when they don't get what they want at the store.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Q. Could you talk about the series where you had a couple of penalties?
A. The first penalty, the ball was in the air. I felt like I was out of position a little too much and didn't want to give up the big play so I pulled [Steve Smith (http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/23/falqanda_0924.html#)] down.
I think what happened right after that, I was just out there. We had a cover 2 called where I quick-jammed him as soon as they hiked the ball, and he threw the flag. That's all I can really say about that one.
Q. The unsportsmanlike conduct?
A. That was that one. Like I said, I jammed him, came off the ball. It was a run and the referee told me it was unnecessary roughness. You take those.
Q. What about after the sack?
A. We were just jawing back and forth at each other and he threw another flag. The same ref threw all three flags. You know, he had to do his job out there.
Q. Any idea why he didn't throw one on Smith?
A. I have no idea. No clue whatsoever. You're going to have to ask him that. I did the same quick jam on the other side of the field. You just take those.
Q. Did that swing the momentum of the game?
A. Yeah, it kind of did. It got them going. It got him [Smith] revved up. They were able to go back and make a couple of plays and ended up pulling the game out.
Q. Looked like you and coach [Bobby] Petrino were having a discussion, for lack of a better word. Did he have something to say as you were coming off the field?
A. We were just talking. He was telling me what he felt. I told him what I felt.
Q. Do you feel like you let your teammates down?
A. Yes. You definitely feel like that, but at the same time we had a lot of plays that we didn't make. We had a lot of missed opportunities that we didn't capitalize on. Mine definitely adds to the pile.
But at the same time I think I'm a leader and I have to take responsibility for the penalties. We'll move on now and try to focus on the next game.
I think he did an excellent job of not making excuses for that drive. You can tell he disagreed with the calls that were made, but he didn't say anything that would get him fined by the league or justifying his actions.

Moses
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
The way he acted is the way a poorly behaved 5 year old acts when they don't get what they want at the store.

Welcome to the world of the NFL and its athletes. ;)

http://www.worldathletes.com/sports_biographies/images/Ray_lewis.jpg

ShutDwn
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
lol, no. This was one of just a couple games in which we used Newman man-up on a WR for an entire game. Newman held him to 1 catch for 18 yards most of the way through the 3rd, until a play in which Carolina fumbled, Smith picked it up and ran around end and out of bounds. He got smacked hard and felt like it was a late hit, so he got up and got in the referee's face, grabbing his shirt and pushing him at the same time, so the ref threw his ass out.

That's what happened. There was no bracket coverage, no rolling of coverage, and Smith absolutely deserved to get thrown out of the game, and admitted as much afterward.

Nice spin, though.

Wow.

Smith's touching the ref was in no way violent. He grabbed not even hard the ref and said he just got hit late out of bounds. He never pushed him and wasn't in his face for more than a second. I really wish NFL.com had included that play in their highlights, because you are so wrong it isn't funny. Smith deserved to get thrown out of a game for something Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Brett Favre all do all the time. Yeah, get off your high horse.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
You Panthers fans should know better. No players can cover Smith throughout the game, not even Champ Bailey. Taking Smith down before he could catch that pass was the smart decision. DeAngelo Hall has played Smith has good as any other corner in the league. I find it funny that you think Hall is only "decent." Then again the Panthers secondary, which you have praised all off-season, gave up 360+ yards, 2:0 TD/INT ratio to Joey Harrington and a Falcons offense that struggled against good defenses like Minnesota and Jacksonville. I bet you still think Lucas, Gamble and Marshall are the best set of corners in the league, even after being torn up by Andre Johnson in week 2 and Roddy White and Michael Jenkins in week 3.

Lucas has not been good this year, Gamble has been fine and Marshall has really just kind of been there as a 3rd CB. But come on, yesterday was not the fault of the CBs at all. Lucas muffed on the tackle for the long TD but the safety should have made the play, except he freaking fell down! The Crumpler TD was all on Marquand Manuel, who actually read the play right, but couldn't tackle Crumpler. Harrington had like 10 minutes to pass on every play, even the best corners will get beat if they're hung out there long enough

Andre Johnson's two TDs weren't the fault of the corners either. His first TD was on a pick play when one of our safeties ran into Gamble at the LOS and Johnson had a free field because Thomas Davis was on a blitz. The second TD he was being covered by Dan Morgan (and yes, the coaching staff confirmed that was by design...it doesnt make sense to me either)

Our secondary does blow, but it is a factor of the safeties weighing down on the CBs, our DLine getting no pressure whatsoever and Lucas underperforming (or is he really this bad? I'm not sure). Running zone 80% of the time when you've got two CBs who are made to play man doesn't help either, though strangely Lucas, who is better in zone, is the one who has sucked so far

Shiver
09-24-2007, 05:36 PM
But still you wouldn't make the claim that they have the best corners in the league like Blindsite has.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
That interview in itself is precisely why Hall is one of my favorite players in the league.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
That interview in itself is precisely why Hall is one of my favorite players in the league.

Is that sarcasm?

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Is that sarcasm?

No. He really is as blasphemous as that may be.

Yung Flippa
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I doubt he got beat up.

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Thats terrible, only one way to go, get rid of him. Thats right trade him to Pittsburgh.

scar988
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Thats terrible, only one way to go, get rid of him. Thats right trade him to Pittsburgh.

yeah... for 3 first roudn picks.

scar988
09-24-2007, 07:25 PM
There are rumors that Petrino may suspend Hall for the Texans game to make a statement about discipline. That would be ballsy, seeing as how the team needs all its big guns to actually win any games. Although the Texans may have Andre Davis and Kevin Walter as their starting receivers so you don't need a pro-bowl corner against them per say. I think the far more likely situation is the team fines him a significant chunk of change and the team leaders rein him in.

I woudl suspend him... start Houston... he was covering just as well as Hall does when he was in... and he gave a great interview.

09-24-2007, 07:29 PM
atlanta isnt goin 2 win many games this season anyways so might as well send a message to the team by suspending possibly their best player

remix 6
09-24-2007, 07:44 PM
i just watched NFL highlights and Hall wasnt the blame. yes he could've been the real man and just shut up but unecessary roughness? BS. he just gave a forceful jam to Smith and it was very clean

and if Hall got beaten up, its a shame because that just shows how disfunctional the Falcons are

im with people on Hall being overrated and all..sometimes too cocky but that was not all his fault

Shiver
09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
He didn't get beat up. Most of his teammates defended Hall to the media. PFT mongers with the best of them.

scar988
09-24-2007, 08:04 PM
He didn't get beat up. Most of his teammates defended Hall to the media. PFT mongers with the best of them.
no... he didn't. he got yelled at by Milloy and Brooking and Petrino behind the scense. will get fined and possibly even suspended...

Shiver
09-24-2007, 08:09 PM
There is a big difference between getting stern counsel from your coaches and veteran players and getting beat up.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
But still you wouldn't make the claim that they have the best corners in the league like Blindsite has.

hmm so he reports a PFT article (a PFT article!) about Hall getting physically beat up after one of the best games of his career whist the actual players say something completly different (how unlike PFT), he thinks his corners are the best in the league (even though Jenkins White and Joey Heisman tore 'em to bits), believes when your beat deep and its gonna be a touchdown that its not the best play from a defensive standpoint to pull the WR down and, finally he thinks that holding Smith to 1 rec of 10 yards isnt worthy of praise and is not noteworthy dispite how out 2ndarys have handled smith this season.

Face it smith cant handle when someone can match it with him, Dhall matched it with him, it got under Smith's skin. Just like Newman matched it with him and look what happened to Smith (dont know about you, but if im a ref id rather be yelled at than have an athlete lay their hands on me). This time however Hall got some atrocious calls that should have gone both ways. The 2nd flag should of gone both ways for jawwing and the flag for the 'bump and run' before it was known by Hall to be a run play was a joke

no... he didn't. he got yelled at by Milloy and Brooking and Petrino behind the scense. will get fined and possibly even suspended...

Suspended? I will be amazed, how did you come to that conclusion

scar988
09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
cause I was told a one game suspension by the team isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

BlindSite
09-25-2007, 02:42 AM

That was the defensive line.

I'll say it, Peppers and Rucker are not earning their pay checks right now.

Did you watch the game?

It wasn't the secondary that gave up plays, it was the distinct lack of pressure.

BlindSite
09-25-2007, 02:46 AM

Actually I haven't.

I'll concede a point, but not when someone doesn't want to read what i have to say.

What I did say was that our nickel set was one of the best in the league.

Which is true.

jdcdam1
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
While Hall is doing great this year, overall he's been HIGHLY overrated....and for you to NOT GET THE POINT AFTER THE 1ST UNSPORTSMANLIKE is stupid...he put his team in a bad situation.....He allowed Smith into his head and it changed the entire game from that point on....So yeah he held Smith to 1 catch, but Smith won the mental battle, and the Panthers won the game.....HE WASNT PUSHING T.O. LIKE THAT LAST YEAR

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Lets all remember D Hall isnt the only hothead out of those 2, smith has always been like that as well...I remember when we played Steve Smith last yr he got thrown out of the game after i think 2 quarters of not being involved and shut down

Scotty D
09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Did anybody see Ditka and Parcells talking about this situation last night? I agreed with both of them and thought they were dead on.

BlindSite
09-26-2007, 03:54 AM
Lets all remember D Hall isnt the only hothead out of those 2, smith has always been like that as well...I remember when we played Steve Smith last yr he got thrown out of the game after i think 2 quarters of not being involved and shut down

That's been addressed, he got thrown out for walking, not running and not shouting, to a ref, putting his hand on his hip and saying where's the flag. The replays show it time and time and time again during the game.

Besides, its not like Newman shut him down solo, the Cowboys used linebackers, safeties, rolling coverages and all sorts of crap to contain him that day, the same way that the Seahawks did in the NFCCG.

Any cowboys fan can deny it if they like, its stupid to do so since Holmgren actually said he spoke to parcells about what he did it shut down smith.

Oh and the Offense at the stage when DeAngelo commited the penalty had only had about 15 pass attempts, 10 of them being distributed to other receivers, he dropped about two passes off his hands and made on reception.

He just had an off day, Hall's coverage was good, very good and I'll admit first half was all falcons, but really Smith wasn't himself.

d34ng3l021
09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Hall has just been fined 100,000 dollars and has been suspended 1 quarter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3037398

Hall did a fantastic job covering Smith last game, and throughout this season. Those penalties were just BS.

Good call on interfering with a sure would be TD by Smith. Smith is gonna get his catches and TDs every single game. He is an amazing WR. I would hate to see what happens when you pair him up with a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Carson Palmer.

The 2nd and 3rd calls against him were ridiculous though. Unneccesary roughness? A shove in the chest that was too much? Come on. And both Smith and Hall were going at it, and Hall gets called for it? And all of this came from the same ref?

Ridiculous.

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
That's been addressed, he got thrown out for walking, not running and not shouting, to a ref, putting his hand on his hip and saying where's the flag. The replays show it time and time and time again during the game.

Besides, its not like Newman shut him down solo, the Cowboys used linebackers, safeties, rolling coverages and all sorts of crap to contain him that day, the same way that the Seahawks did in the NFCCG.

Any cowboys fan can deny it if they like, its stupid to do so since Holmgren actually said he spoke to parcells about what he did it shut down smith.

Oh and the Offense at the stage when DeAngelo commited the penalty had only had about 15 pass attempts, 10 of them being distributed to other receivers, he dropped about two passes off his hands and made on reception.

He just had an off day, Hall's coverage was good, very good and I'll admit first half was all falcons, but really Smith wasn't himself.

damn you guys really are sensitive about Steve Smith huh? Did i go into detail about the Cowboys shutting down smith? Did i say "T New locked him down all game", and i didnt comment about how he was stopped either, the point I made was Steve Smith is a hot head too, and if you would to believe in your fantasy world he was thrown out of the game for "walking to a ref with a hand on his hip and asking where's the flag" then by all means proceed...

And I just love how you try to disscredit the Cowboys for stopping him by saying "they used rolling coverages, lb's and all sorts of crap" as if those are against the rules...I guess its some sort of unwritten rule that says cover each teams best WR man to man the entire game that I missed huh? you got way too overly sensitive with your post, and got into topics that werent even brought up, what cowboys fans are going to try and deny how and what coverages we used to stop him? thats pretty stupid to assume it would even happen when no one really cares that much about that game last year aside from you

my original point, and all i commented on was steve smith was thrown out of a game in the first half, when he was frustrated at not being involved in the game yet...thats a FACT as much as you want to beat around the bush, so when I see him and deangelo into it, evidence and past leads me to believe its not just Hall who is provoking it

bored of education
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
IF I was Carl P and Hermie E I would trade a 3rd and 7th for him. Still draft a CB 2nd round. Have Hall and Law for one year and rookie learn under their guidance and Law retire or stick to nickle for a year then bounce. But I'm being un realistic obviously. When he wants to be the guy is good.

The Legend
09-26-2007, 06:47 PM
DeAngelo Hall Fined $100,000, Wont Start Vs Texans
Has A Small Contract, So Teams Would Want Him
Also AltantaFalcons.Com Fourms, People Are Saying Trade Him

I Say Patriots or Ravens ... They Will Keep Him In Line
Asante Samuel or Chris McAlister would love him on there team
Ray Lewis or Brian Belichick would keep him in check, trust me

Shiver
09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
IF I was Carl P and Hermie E I would trade a 3rd and 7th for him. Still draft a CB 2nd round. Have Hall and Law for one year and rookie learn under their guidance and Law retire or stick to nickle for a year then bounce. But I'm being un realistic obviously. When he wants to be the guy is good.

I Say Patriots or Ravens ... They Will Keep Him In Line
Asante Samuel or Chris McAlister would love him on there team
Ray Lewis or Brian Belichick would keep him in check, trust me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzEQ8hG1zA

scar988
09-26-2007, 07:03 PM

and those forum people are ********. we won't trade him at all...

The Legend
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzEQ8hG1zA

hey i dont think he will be traded also but patriots & ravens would be not bad spots for hall

Great Song THou :)

T-RICH49
09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Interesting

Posted by TheBigLead on September 26th, 2007
From the absolutely unverifyable rumor department: a random e-mailer writes, "Appearantly, The Falcons contacted the Kansas City Chiefs about trading DeAngelo Hall for a 2nd round pick...who knows if the Chiefs will accept, or if the Falcons have contacted other teams."

I am not buying this but IF this has any truth I'd have pulled the trigger by now if I was CP.Our players are already yelling at coaches so he'd fit in

bored of education
09-26-2007, 08:56 PM
whoa really? if that is true ummmm interesting

T-RICH49
09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I foubt it's true but IF I'd have pulled the trigger by now

bored of education
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
i hear that

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd give up a second rounder for him.....

d34ng3l021
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
If Atlanta trades him, I quit. I wouldnt be able to stand this FO.

bearfan
09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
I'd give up Rex Grossman for him ;)

BlindSite
09-27-2007, 02:13 AM
damn you guys really are sensitive about Steve Smith huh? Did i go into detail about the Cowboys shutting down smith? Did i say "T New locked him down all game", and i didnt comment about how he was stopped either, the point I made was Steve Smith is a hot head too, and if you would to believe in your fantasy world he was thrown out of the game for "walking to a ref with a hand on his hip and asking where's the flag" then by all means proceed...

Mate, spin how you like, I saw the game, I saw the replays and I've seen it more than once, it was on christmas eve and out here, I watched it christmas morning, its not something you forget.

AS for smith being a hot head, that's not new to me, its one of the reasons he's the best receiver in the NFL.

And I just love how you try to disscredit the Cowboys for stopping him by saying "they used rolling coverages, lb's and all sorts of crap" as if those are against the rules...I guess its some sort of unwritten rule that says cover each teams best WR man to man the entire game that I missed huh? you got way too overly sensitive with your post, and got into topics that werent even brought up, what cowboys fans are going to try and deny how and what coverages we used to stop him? thats pretty stupid to assume it would even happen when no one really cares that much about that game last year aside from you

I'm not discrediting cowboys, or seahawks for how they stopped him.

I'm discrediting the notion that Newman shut him down.

Or do you not read?

my original point, and all i commented on was steve smith was thrown out of a game in the first half, when he was frustrated at not being involved in the game yet...thats a FACT as much as you want to beat around the bush, so when I see him and deangelo into it, evidence and past leads me to believe its not just Hall who is provoking it

I wasn't responding just to your post, Steve Smith was thrown out because of a bad decision, he didn't do anything exceptionally wrong, he broke a rule, yes, but one that's broken on most plays.

Smith provoked it and he goaded Hall, but so what? If hall was a professional he wouldn't have said anything. As far as smith being "as bad" he's not. In the minnesota game in 05 Smoot was talking all day, being abusive, disrespectful all the rest of it, during that game smith did not say one word in response and put up 200 yards. His performance was putting Smoot of his game on its own. Hall was doing well, but his losing his cool was a sign of immaturity and that's he's not as professional as he should be.

The fact that Smith was able to get such a rise out of him is testimony to that fact.

Splat
09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
The Chiefs all ready have two over paid and overrated CB's not getting the job done.

draftguru151
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Smith provoked it and he goaded Hall, but so what? If hall was a professional he wouldn't have said anything. As far as smith being "as bad" he's not. In the minnesota game in 05 Smoot was talking all day, being abusive, disrespectful all the rest of it, during that game smith did not say one word in response and put up 200 yards. His performance was putting Smoot of his game on its own. Hall was doing well, but his losing his cool was a sign of immaturity and that's he's not as professional as he should be.

The fact that Smith was able to get such a rise out of him is testimony to that fact.

So when that happens to Smith it's the same thing, he's being immature? For some reason I'd doubt you'd say that.

The Legend
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
theres 31 teams in the nfl who would give up a 1st round pick atleast for him

or there right arm

how about Fitz (WR) for Hall (CB)

tylerb929
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Really that wouldn't be a bad trade at all, if Hall wanted out of Atlanta? and Arizona didn't mind the attitude (Not sure Whisenhunt could put up with his mouth, but I guess he's had Joey Porter on his team before and you can't get much louder and dumber than that). The Cards have a good replacement WR in Bryant Johnson and the Falcons aren't going to do anything anyways and have Houston to develope at CB. Not a bad trade, both teams would get better from it.

Shiver
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
What are you people talking about? Why would the Falcons trade a 23-year old, pro-bowl cover corner because of one series where he lost his cool during a game? It's just worthless conjecture and a waste of time to even think about it. It isn't going to happen, period.

scar988
09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I foubt it's true but IF I'd have pulled the trigger by now

it's not even close to true...

scar988
09-27-2007, 02:51 PM

or there right arm

um no. we don't need a WR.

Really that wouldn't be a bad trade at all, if Hall wanted out of Atlanta? and Arizona didn't mind the attitude (Not sure Whisenhunt could put up with his mouth, but I guess he's had Joey Porter on his team before and you can't get much louder and dumber than that). The Cards have a good replacement WR in Bryant Johnson and the Falcons aren't going to do anything anyways and have Houston to develope at CB. Not a bad trade, both teams would get better from it.
it would be a horrible trade. we don't need a WR. yet, we go out and get worse on defense for only a very slight upgrade on how Roddy's been performing? um no. it makes no sense and will never happen.

Addict
09-27-2007, 03:37 PM
What are you people talking about? Why would the Falcons trade a 23-year old, pro-bowl cover corner because of one series where he lost his cool during a game? It's just worthless conjecture and a waste of time to even think about it. It isn't going to happen, period.

absolutely, but since all threads live on simply because it's a fun thought to have someone like hall on your team.

BlindSite
09-28-2007, 06:37 PM
So when that happens to Smith it's the same thing, he's being immature? For some reason I'd doubt you'd say that.

I've actually written published articles on his need to alter his attitude in order to become an upper echelon leader in the league like he could be.

Moses
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I've actually written published articles on his need to alter his attitude in order to become an upper echelon leader in the league like he could be.

Your point is magnified by the fact that your articles were published.

PACKmanN
09-28-2007, 07:58 PM
The Chiefs all ready have two over paid and overrated CB's not getting the job done.

and weren't you guys the same people who thought that they were going to be the best 1-2 punch in the NFL? time has changed.

BlindSite
09-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Your point is magnified by the fact that your articles were published.

No it reinforces the fact that I've been critical of smith in the past for acting like a child...

LonghornsLegend
09-29-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm not discrediting cowboys, or seahawks for how they stopped him.

I'm discrediting the notion that Newman shut him down.

Or do you not read?

who brought up Terrance Newman's name in this thread? Who ever said he could shut down steve smith in this thread?

so if you went into a whole post about those points it was a waste of time...I said steve smith was shut down, I never said "T New locked him up man to man all game and shut him down solo", all i brought up was how "unprofessional" he was in our game, which is the word you would have to use him for, and childish...

and as much as you talk about how you watched that game a million times and remember it so well, do you know what Steve Smith uttered to the ref under his breath? do you know what he said walking towards him or away from him? I think not, and your pretty crazy to think he was thrown completely out of a game for saying "wheres the flag" and thats it :rolleyes:

how many times do you hear of that happening, where someone is thrown completely out of a game for asking where the flag was, unless you think their is a conspiracy out against smith...fact is you dont know what he said to the ref so you dont know the story, sorry if you thought you did, and he wouldnt have gotten tossed from the game for what you claimed he said

Shiver
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
and weren't you guys the same people who thought that they were going to be the best 1-2 punch in the NFL? time has changed.

I laugh at the notion that Kansas City wouldn't want or need Hall.

Dam8610
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM

or there right arm

I hope you're not counting any team that runs a Tampa 2 scheme among those 31 teams.

d34ng3l021
09-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I hope you're not counting any team that runs a Tampa 2 scheme among those 31 teams.

lol. Hall in a tampa 2. Hahahhaha.

Things arent looking good between Hall and Petrino. This is no good. He is signed to the 09 season, but can void that part of the contract, because he has already met certain demands. He after the 08 season, he might leave as a FA.

Shiver
09-30-2007, 12:24 AM
If he leaves I hope Chris Houston can play. He's looked solid right now, but it's still too early. He certainly has the talent though.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Id love to have both them play and have 2 lock down CBs to allow us to blitz and whatnot.

Geo
09-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Why aren't things looking good between Petrino and that idiot? Petrino fined him and is sitting him down for only a portion of the game, as he should (especially as a rookie head coach whose legitimacy could be in doubt in the locker room).

Dam8610
09-30-2007, 12:37 AM
lol. Hall in a tampa 2. Hahahhaha.

Exactly, not to mention the fact that Tampa 2 schemes don't value CBs too highly.

Geo
09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm guessing this is what's being referred to. (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/09/29/petrino_lost_on.html)

I hate this guy so much. I despise him more than any other person in the league.

Falcons should bite their tongue for the time being until the season is over, then they can trade him to a team desperate for cornerback and willing to sign this idiot long-term.

Primetime21
09-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Seahawks will sign Hall this offseason. Hall absolutley loved Mora as a coach and as a friend and since he is the Hawks secondary coach. Marcus Trufant is a free agent and if he asks for too much I am sure we will turn to Hall.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-30-2007, 03:14 PM
DeAngelo's here to stay. We've already lost Deion, no need to lose one like DeAngelo.

BTW, does anyone known when he got into the game, who he was covering, and how they did?