PDA

View Full Version : Cal vs. Oregon

soybean
09-24-2007, 03:52 AM
who wins?

i got oregon. this is gonna be the college version of cincy and the browns. shoooot out.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Cal.Best and Hawkins thats why.

Wootylicous
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I got cal. This is gonna be a good game.

Sveen
09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to the game. Cal wins it btw.

RyanLeaf#1
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
This one is tough im undecided at this time.

TheMikey10
09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
As a Bears fan who goes to every home game, it is killing me that Tedford hasn't won a game in Eugene yet (or Pasadena and LA for that matter) but I think that Oregon will have the hubris to single cover/punt to DeSean, the Hawk is a top 5 reciever in the Pac-10, and the combo of Forsett and the Jet will give us an advantage

Cal - 41 Oregon - 35

RyanLeaf#1
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I know Oregon opened up as a 4 point favorite. I cant wait to see what the over/under is for this game. It has to be in the mid 70s.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
but I think that Oregon will have the hubris to single cover/punt to DeSean

We won't be punting to him. At least I hope we're not that foolish. We'll almost certainly need to put single coverage on him at times, but we do have great DB's on this team. I'm far more concerned with your running game. I expect Forsett and Best to gash us constantly, and Desean will likely get a few touches where he torches us as well. You guys would be wise to get your 7-10 yards a pop on the ground and only throw when you need to or know you can. Our DB's are excellent and will make a few big plays if they are tested. While I'm expecting you guys to put up a ton of points on us, you should be just as scared of our offensive weapons and expect the same. You'll need to contain Dixon in order to force a punt. And you better hope Stewart doesn't come out pumped up and looking for someone to bruise. We've got just as many weapons as you guys do. This game will likely come down to turnovers. We won't see many punts from either side. Mostly kickoffs. So I expect most of the defensive stops to occur on INT's and Fumbles. Whichever team can bring more heat defensively should win this battle. And I like our chances with Dixon's excellent mobility. Good luck sacking him or forcing a bad throw. He'll just tuck it and run. There's good reason he has yet to throw an INT this year. Longshore is an excellent pocket passer, but if we can bring a little heat, our coverage should be good enough to force a few bad throws. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Like I said, you guys should just run the hell out of the ball and wear our thin defense down. Get the ball in Desean's hands on quick passes rather than sending him deep. If Tedford brings the right gameplan, the only thing that will stop your O is turnovers. No matter who wins, it should be one of the best and most exciting games we've seen this year in college football. With an Oregon win, could we potentially see the College Gameday crew in Eugene twice this year?

RyanLeaf#1
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Homefield advantage is huge for Oregon.

Michigan
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Oregon. Dennis Dixon. *relives nightmare*

duckseason
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Gotta wonder how big of a factor some of the Cal injuries will play. Haven't yet heard an official update, but I know Forsett got hurt on Saturday, Jackson hurt his thumb against Tennessee, and Follett, Davis and Malele were all out against Arizona.

TheMikey10
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
We won't be punting to him. At least I hope we're not that foolish. We'll almost certainly need to put single coverage on him at times, but we do have great DB's on this team. I'm far more concerned with your running game. I expect Forsett and Best to gash us constantly, and Desean will likely get a few touches where he torches us as well. You guys would be wise to get your 7-10 yards a pop on the ground and only throw when you need to or know you can. Our DB's are excellent and will make a few big plays if they are tested. While I'm expecting you guys to put up a ton of points on us, you should be just as scared of our offensive weapons and expect the same. You'll need to contain Dixon in order to force a punt. And you better hope Stewart doesn't come out pumped up and looking for someone to bruise. We've got just as many weapons as you guys do. This game will likely come down to turnovers. We won't see many punts from either side. Mostly kickoffs. So I expect most of the defensive stops to occur on INT's and Fumbles. Whichever team can bring more heat defensively should win this battle. And I like our chances with Dixon's excellent mobility. Good luck sacking him or forcing a bad throw. He'll just tuck it and run. There's good reason he has yet to throw an INT this year. Longshore is an excellent pocket passer, but if we can bring a little heat, our coverage should be good enough to force a few bad throws. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Like I said, you guys should just run the hell out of the ball and wear our thin defense down. Get the ball in Desean's hands on quick passes rather than sending him deep. If Tedford brings the right gameplan, the only thing that will stop your O is turnovers. No matter who wins, it should be one of the best and most exciting games we've seen this year in college football. With an Oregon win, could we potentially see the College Gameday crew in Eugene twice this year?

Forsett might be banged up, so keep an eye on that. I think whether Zack Follett Plays is the key, he is our best player on defense, and i think he can neutralize dixon's running ability, but hes hurt as well. Best hasn't been getting many touches as a RB, 14 or so i think, but on screens he is a very potent weapon. Longshore has been solid thus far, i dont see him throwing more than one pick, but I am scared about the playmaking ability of Patrick Chung. I think everyone will see Tedford open things up a little more this game though, be a little less conservative than he has been in the past three games. I think it will be a great game though

duckseason
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I think everyone will see Tedford open things up a little more this game though, be a little less conservative than he has been in the past three games. I think it will be a great game though

I agree with that. Kelly is new for us this year so I haven't had a chance to form a solid opinion of him so far, but I almost expect to see Tedford to come in with a better game plan than us. Mostly because I have been very impressed with him ever since he was here at Oregon, and I've been very disappointed at times with some of our coaching decisions. Overall, I give the edge to you guys at this point when it comes to coaching.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Oregon. Dennis Dixon. *relives nightmare*
Dixon worries me this year, like most schools...SC has always had trouble with mobile QBs. This years Dixon is different though, he's really matured and has improved the passing part of his game. =\

TigerBait45
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I absolutely love Oregon, but man Cal is loaded on offense.

This one is going to be fun. I'll take Cal just because of DeSean Jackson..53-50

TouchdownUSC
09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
i think overall Cal is a better team but my gut tells me Oregon will squeak out a win

duckseason
09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Dixon worries me this year, like most schools...SC has always had trouble with mobile QBs. This years Dixon is different though, he's really matured and has improved the passing part of his game. =\

Yeah I hope Dixon can find a way to carve you guys up. Though I doubt our line will be able to keep him from scrambling all day. I think you guys are going to wear us out with your running game and just beat us up more and more as the game goes on. We're stretched too thin, and you guys have too much depth. We'll need to make some big plays in the turnover department in order to be in a position to win in the 4th, I would think. At least we have home field though. Schedule-wise with the home and away, this is a great opportunity for us to do something big. Too bad App St had to cheapen our win vs Michigan though. If only we had a front 7 on defense that was half as talented as our secondary. But I guess it's too much to ask for the stars to fully align. I'm expecting at least 10-2, and hopefully 11-1 with our only loss being to you guys. I think 3 losses would be a big disappointment at this point. For me at least. Though I wouldn't be surprised. We've still got a long road with a lot of tough teams.

duckseason
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I absolutely love Oregon, but man Cal is loaded on offense.

This one is going to be fun. I'll take Cal just because of DeSean Jackson..53-50

I agree, Cal is loaded on offense. But who do you give the advantage to in the 4 major areas?

QB-
RB-
WR-
OL-

Or even simpler-

Overall Passing Game-
Overall Running Game-

You could make an argument for either team on all 6 of those, or just say it's a push. I'd probably give the edge to Cal with the WR's, but I've got to give it to my Ducks at both QB and RB. Not sure about the o-line, as I've only seen Cal play against Tennessee. I think we have the clear edge in the running game, while the passing game may be a push at this point. In short, we're just as loaded on offense. (imo)

But I agree, these are obviously two of the best offenses in the nation right now, and it should be a great game that I'm sure everybody will be watching. Love the fact that Gameday is coming to Eugene. And I could definitely see your prediction coming true. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the total points in this one hit the century mark. And won't be surprised if Cal ends up the victor.

09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
As a Bears fan who goes to every home game, it is killing me that Tedford hasn't won a game in Eugene yet (or Pasadena and LA for that matter) but I think that Oregon will have the hubris to single cover/punt to DeSean, the Hawk is a top 5 reciever in the Pac-10, and the combo of Forsett and the Jet will give us an advantage

Cal - 41 Oregon - 35

nice using big words.."hubris" = excessive pride..haha learned that one the other day. btw cal wins and d-jax has a big game because of the single coverage i expect to see as well

TigerBait45
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I definitely wouldn't be shocked if Oregon won. Dixon and Stewart are super players..very underrated I think.

Its going to be a great game. Honestly I'd rather see Oregon win. I jumped on the bandwagon during the Harrington years and I've never jumped off. I can't wait for the Oregon-USC game.

BroadwayJoe10
09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
I've been a big fan of oregon and cal ever since NCAA '05. Huge kellen clemens fan, whoever showed that picture of him with the giant circular saw and hardhat is my idol. Regardless, i have a feeling oregon is gonna win this game due to a monster game by #28, who should be the 2nd overall back chosen this year at the draft becuase he is that damn good. Anyways, i just have a gut instinct that he is going to show up big this weekend; he has always been one for needing a reason to get pumped up for a game and what better than to beat a top 10 divisional rival. I love Longshore, but i have a feeling if the ducks can stop the running game at all and force longshore to throw than their secondary will make some plays. Then, of course there is #1, he is such an x factor. Either way I just want to see a damn good game and whoever wins beats USC later in the year. prediction Oregon 41 - Cal 31

BrownsTown
09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm going Oregon...it's really just a feeling. I'm really feeling and Oregon victory.

YAYareaRB
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
This game will tell us which team will give USC the most trouble. I want Cal to win.. But honestly, it could swing either way.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-25-2007, 10:35 PM
While Forsett may not be entirely healthy Montgomery has been doing well.We'll still be able to run the ball well.

duckseason
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
While Forsett may not be entirely healthy Montgomery has been doing well.We'll still be able to run the ball well.

Yeah I don't recall seeing much of Montgomery in the past, but as long as he can identify a gaping hole when it's staring him in the face, you guys will certainly run the ball well.

Jensen
09-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I got Oregon in a high scoring game.

soybean
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
so i guess only the west coast gets the cal vs. oregon game.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/abccoverage092907.pdf

V. Young
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Well duh soybean.

soybean
09-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Well duh soybean.

doesn't make sense, why wouldn't two top ten teams get national coverage when even the southeast got the USC vs. Wazzu game.

TouchdownUSC
09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
sucks for non-west coast people. this game has got to be one of the best match ups of the season.

V. Young
09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
First off oregon isnt quite in the top 10..should be but they arent. Secondly there is three other games on abc at the same time why shutout out a local game. Its like when you see on abc they will say west coast will see the usc game next east will see maryland or whatever you always see your local game not the best game.

Komp
09-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Yah I had to go with Oregon. I have found my college football heterosexual man crush in Dixon. The man wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. He's a winner.

Green Bay Scat
09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Yah I had to go with Oregon. I have found my college football heterosexual man crush in Dixon. The man wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. He's a winner.

hes no Earl Bennett thats fo sho

V. Young
09-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Who do you guys think will be the commentators for this game. I hope its atleast brad nessler, and chris spielman, they are my favorite.

Green Bay Scat
09-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Who do you guys think will be the commentators for this game. I hope its atleast brad nessler, and chris spielman, they are my favorite.

its better on mute usually

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2007, 11:54 PM
It's gonna be a great game, but that's all I'm really sure of.

Longshore struggles on the road and I like Oregon's secondary, but they're going to have to figure out how to cover both Hawkins and Jackson, something that I'm sure has Oregon's defensive coordinator up late at night.

I think Cal can limit the amount of damage Dixon does with his legs by rushing Alualu and keeping Williams and Felder on him, but, really, Cal is simple going to have to commit to the shootout.

I'm going to pick Cal not just because I'm a fan, but because Oregon's keeps getting gashed in the running game, and Cal's backfield could make life a living hell for that defense.

Keith Jackson, why have you forsaken us!?

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Tedford could also have Best at WR some of the time they did that against Arizona.

ironman4579
09-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I went with Oregon. Like most people, it's just a feeling, but I really like how Dixon has played this year, except against Michigan, when I wanted to shoot him to stop the massacre.

V. Young
09-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Why mute it? Thats dumb

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I believe you can listen to Sharkey on the radio thats why.

V. Young
09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
hmm. okay. I like the abc commentators. Makes football even more fun to watch. And you get to hear the croud noise and the big hits.

soybean
09-29-2007, 12:23 AM

isn't it herstreit and musberger, cuz gameday is at eugene? i don't know.

V. Young
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah you're right.

soybean
09-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I wanted Oregon to win, but...

that was an AMAZING game.

Better than I expected and im not upset at the result. I know he had probably the worst 2 INTs at exactly the wrong times but Dennis Dixon is incredible. He lead the hurry up 2 minute drill with perfection and would have got the touchdown without a drop. If he would have won he would definitely be in the heisman talk. What's also incredible is how well he did without running.

Desean Jackson is, there really is no words to describe him. Even though forsett and stewart had 100+ yard games, we all thought it was gonna be a running game vs. running game. Oregon's secondary is probably their strongest point but Desean Jackson shredded them, which proves that he is definitely a number 1 receiver and stud in the making.

Longshore looked great. He looked like an NFL qb out there. He wasn't afraid to take shots down field and most of his throws were spot on if anything.

Sucks for Oregon, now their chances for a BCS game is virtually over. I wanted to see an Oregon vs. Flordia matchup.

Here's hoping Cal makes a BCS...

V. Young
09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I think oregon moves up in the rankings. I say this becasue they lost to a team 5 spots higher then them in a close ending game, and a lot of the top ten teams lost. Therefore I think oregon moves up. Anyone else agree?

yo123
09-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I think oregon moves up in the rankings. I say this becasue they lost to a team 5 spots higher then them in a close ending game, and a lot of the top ten teams lost. Therefore I think oregon moves up. Anyone else agree?

Voters dont think that logically.

DLS42
09-29-2007, 10:57 PM
but all the other teams that lost ahead of them all lost in close games.

V. Young
09-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah but to sucky teams bro.

BroadwayJoe10
09-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Although the lack of the cal-oregon game on tv did allow me to get my studying done, I was quite upset that i was unable to see it. I know im on the east coast, but when they flipped to the rutgers game that had 4 minutes left and cal-oregon had 1 minute i mean cmon, ya gotta show that game. Now, i know all the rules of ncaaf tv distribution, but it still doesn't prevent me from being frustrated haha. Anyways, from what the gamecast showed it seemed dixon has all the ability to lead a 2 minute drill and score when he has to. Desean jackson shows up in big games, especially when theres not a dback rolled over the top and one underneath of him; which i hope USC has the balls to do and gets torched. Anyways both great teams seemed like a hell of a game and i hope they both beat USC.

soybean
09-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Anyways, from what the gamecast showed it seemed dixon has all the ability to lead a 2 minute drill and score when he has to.

dixon cost them the game, but he also "won" it for them. too bad his receiver fumbled the ball into the endzone.

soybean
09-30-2007, 04:08 AM
anyone else find it funny when the duck announced the players? his moviefone voice was hilarious.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Although the lack of the cal-oregon game on tv did allow me to get my studying done, I was quite upset that i was unable to see it. I know im on the east coast, but when they flipped to the rutgers game that had 4 minutes left and cal-oregon had 1 minute i mean cmon, ya gotta show that game. Now, i know all the rules of ncaaf tv distribution, but it still doesn't prevent me from being frustrated haha. Anyways, from what the gamecast showed it seemed dixon has all the ability to lead a 2 minute drill and score when he has to. Desean jackson shows up in big games, especially when theres not a dback rolled over the top and one underneath of him; which i hope USC has the balls to do and gets torched. Anyways both great teams seemed like a hell of a game and i hope they both beat USC.

Not many Pac-10 teams runs man coverage. In fact, Oregon and Cal are the only two I know who run it the majority of the time (although Washington State might). There really isn't much of a chance that USC abandons its Cover 2 scheme when they come to Berkeley. That said, part of the reason Tedford has found ways to beat USC's secondary in the past has had to with spotting holes in that zone coverage. If he can just construct a blocking scheme to keep Longshore's jersey clean then I think he can run a successful offense against the Trojans.

BroadwayJoe10
09-30-2007, 08:21 AM
yaa thats the only part they showed on espn here. I couldn't tell how he was intercepted until this morning when i saw it on espn, it looked like one was a pretty decent play, but the second he had the right idea to dump the ball off but just made a bad play. Either way I wish i could have seen it, it definatley seemed like a good game. The thing is, if his reciever scored at the end and they won it in overtime his two int's would mostly have been forgotten, considering his leadership and ability to score when needed prevailed. It kinda reminds me of Elway in SB XXXII, when he had a pretty bad game and terrell davis has one of the best games i can remember. He did throw an int in the endzone but he got them the first downs and kept the drives alive. Hah just a little flashback not all that closely resembling actually.

V. Young
09-30-2007, 10:57 AM
How did dixon lose it for them? He throw one int. that was hif fault but the other one was tipped. He did a very good job throughout the game and played those last 2 minutes very well I think.