PDA

View Full Version : top Junior QB?

Buttered toast sonic
09-24-2007, 07:48 AM
in spite of the draft's depth at senior QB, I've been wondering, who is the top underclassmen QB?

etk
09-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Chase Holbrook, Nate Longshore, Bobby Reid, Graham Harrell, Willie Tuitama, Curtis Painter. No great prospects but some decent ones. Oh and Mike Teel since you're a Rutgers fan and that's obviously your objective from this thread.

Buttered toast sonic
09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
actually, I don't think teel is a great prospect right now, at least not on the level of the others.

Don Vito
09-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Stephen McGee, Texas A&M. Aside from his last game I am always impressed by him.

SenorGato
09-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Matt Grothe.

Buttered toast sonic
09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Matt Grothe.

Grothe is a true soph, Gato

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Rudy Carpenter in da house. I hate it when people mention Willie Tuitama as a top Junior QB because he has never blossomed well at all after a decent freshman year. Maybe its the 100 concussions he suffered, but I don't see much happening to him as of next year.

fenikz
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Ya Tuitama sucks, i don't know why anyone considers him a good prospects

Rudy Carpenter ASU
Hunter Cantwell Louisville
Chase Holbrook New Mexico State

Buttered toast sonic
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Rudy Carpenter ASU

Cantwell won't come out, no way (unless Brohm is injured next week and out for the year)

I'm surprised, to a degree, no ones Mentioned Pat White, sure, he's average as a passer, but he has vick-like speed and elusiveness, though he is small.

EvilMonkey
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Cantwell won't come out, no way (unless Brohm is injured next week and out for the year)

I'm surprised, to a degree, no ones Mentioned Pat White, sure, he's average as a passer, but he has vick-like speed and elusiveness, though he is small.

i wouldnt go that far, he's fast but Vick was insanely fast in college and elusiveness isnt even close imo.

Probably a WR prospect anyway, which is why no ones considering him.

draftguru151
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd probably go Curtis Painter right now, haven't been paying much attention to the junior QBs though. Cullen Harper at Clemson is another guy that's been doing well.

Any junior QB that comes out this year is pretty dumb though. Unless they'll definitely be the #1 guy (which none of these guys seem like) they'll be lucky to be day 1 guys.

Travis 24
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Mike Teel could be a decent prospect...I think more along the lines of a late day 2 pick, but he needs to be more consistant..although he has shown signs this year..

Bostonsportlova
09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Is pat white going to try to play qb in the nfl or is he gonna move to wide out of running back, jw

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Nate Longshore is dece, also Im not 100% but if Rudy Carpenter is a Jr. hes worth a mention.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Bobby Reid shouldn't be on any list.

etk
09-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Bobby Reid shouldn't be on any list.

He has the prototypical physical attributes. One would expect him to improve as a passer as a Senior. He definitely deserves mention.

keylime_5
09-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I think Chase Holbrook is the only junior QB who should be a first rounder. Good year in 2009 for junior (current sophomore) QBs to declare early ala Smith/Rodgers in 2005.

etk
09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
I think Chase Holbrook is the only junior QB who should be a first rounder. Good year in 2009 for junior (current sophomore) QBs to declare early ala Smith/Rodgers in 2005.

Agree 100% on both points. Tebow would be the #1 most likely. He would be followed by (in no order): Stafford, McCoy & Sanchez. Perrilloux, Crompton & Josh Freeman are other prospects to consider, but along with Sanchez they have much to prove.

Waits for someone to mention Matt Grothe despite his lack of size...

Canadian_kid16
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Agree 100% on both points. Tebow would be the #1 most likely. He would be followed by (in no order): Stafford, McCoy & Sanchez. Perrilloux, Crompton & Josh Freeman are other prospects to consider, but along with Sanchez they have much to prove.

Waits for someone to mention Matt Grothe despite his lack of size...

Matt Grothe.

you don't need to wait long I guess

Xiomera
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Pat White?

D-Unit
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Colt McCoy

jayceheathman
09-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Rudy Carpenter ASU

Chase Holbrook would be the best if he can get his INT's down this year. He had a great INT/TD ratio last year but this year hasnt started off so well. He has 9 INT's so far this year and is 4th with 14 TD's.

Travis 24
09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Why is size even a question anymore...How tall is Drew Brees?..Grothe is taller, and way more mobile.

SenorGato
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM

Oops.

That sucks.

etk
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Why is size even a question anymore...How tall is Drew Brees?..Grothe is taller, and way more mobile.

They are the same height, and Brees just threw 4 picks last night. He's looked bad all year. Size is a question because it's difficult for a short quarterback to see over the line and find passing lanes. Name other successful modern QBs that are 6'0 or shorter...it's hard isn't it?

bored of education
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I'd say Tyler Sheehan, but dude is only a soph. Sophmore QB's are a boatload wow. That clas COULD be unreal

BLake Syzmanski, Nate Davis, Andy Schmitt, Karsten Sween, Tim Tebow, Nick Graziano, Colt McCoy, Max Hall, Donovan Porteire and some other foolios

Travis 24
09-25-2007, 08:25 AM
They are the same height, and Brees just threw 4 picks last night. He's looked bad all year. Size is a question because it's difficult for a short quarterback to see over the line and find passing lanes. Name other successful modern QBs that are 6'0 or shorter...it's hard isn't it?

So this year, and that 1 game proves short QB's can't play?...oh ok. What about 2006..2005..2004?

How many 6'0" or shorter QB's have their even been?...Your acting like theirs a ton of them in college, and none of them make it in the NFL.

Mobility can overcome height...Grothe can move around and find passing lanes. He shouldn't be looked down upon because he's not 6'4".

HoopsDemon12
09-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I would have to say that Colt McKoy is the best Underclasmen QB... although he is a redshirted sophmore if im not mistaken right?

Michigan
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Grothe is worthless as a pro QB prospect.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I doubt he's an elite prospect right now, but Rhett Bomar is a QB to keep your eye on.

scottyboy
09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Mike Teel obviously blows everyone out of the water. he pwns n00bs with ease and everyone's like OMG it's Mike Teel, bow down and worship him

tylerb929
09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Name other successful modern QBs that are 6'0 or shorter...it's hard isn't it?
Doug Flutie comes to mind at 5'10"

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Top Junior QB is Pat White, but the top junior QB prospects are Cantwell & Painter.

Race for the Heisman
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Just curious, I haven't seen anything of Hunter Cantwell but everyone seems to be riding his jock pretty hard. What has he done to merit such consideration? I figure he must have stepped in when Brohm got injured and played pretty well, but he clearly wasn't good enough to inspire a quarterback controversy so why is he so highly rated?

etk
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Doug Flutie comes to mind at 5'10"

What has Doug Flutie done in the NFL? He was a great QB in college and in the CFL, but mediocre in the pros. He couldn't even beat out Rob Johnson in Buffalo for a while.

jayceheathman
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
So this year, and that 1 game proves short QB's can't play?...oh ok. What about 2006..2005..2004?

How many 6'0" or shorter QB's have their even been?...Your acting like theirs a ton of them in college, and none of them make it in the NFL.

Mobility can overcome height...Grothe can move around and find passing lanes. He shouldn't be looked down upon because he's not 6'4".

There are a few QB's in college that are 6'0 or under because schools have to use what they are given. Most colleges dont get the creme of the crop like USC does every year.

Mobility almost never overcomes height. Michael Vick is the only one that comes to mind and look where he is now. He never was the premiere QB that everyone that he was going to be. Sure he could run, but he never showed the accuracy that a QB in the NFL needs. Why was Troy Smith a 6th round pick? Because he was only 5'11-6'0 tall.
Look at the size of every starting QB in the league...Payton Manning 6'5, Eli Manning 6'4, Ben Roethlisberger 6'5, Carson Palmer 6'5, Tom Brady 6'4, Matt Schaub 6'5, Vince Young 6'5, Alex Smith 6'4, Jason Campbell 6'5, Phillip Rivers 6'5.....See a pattern here? At the least they are 6'2 like Romo, Brett
Favre, and Donavon McNabb.

We arent saying shorter QB's cant play but the size of DLman are 6'2 and up and when they reach there arms up it will be really hard for them to throw over them. Mobility doesnt work in the NFL because the speed of the game is so much faster. Sure its nice to have some moves like Romo and not just stand there like Grossman but the odds are definitely against you if you arent at least 6'2.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 10:34 PM
What has Doug Flutie done in the NFL? He was a great QB in college and in the CFL, but mediocre in the pros. He couldn't even beat out Rob Johnson in Buffalo for a while.

Drew Brees measured in at six feet on the nose at the NFL Combine. I think both Len Dawson and Fran Tarkenton were about that. Sonny Jurgensen, widely considered the best pure passer of all time, was less than six foot. 5-10, maybe. How tall was Steve Young? Six feet? Six-one?

etk
09-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Drew Brees measured in at six feet on the nose at the NFL Combine. I think both Len Dawson and Fran Tarkenton were about that. Sonny Jurgensen, widely considered the best pure passer of all time, was less than six foot. 5-10, maybe. How tall was Steve Young? Six feet? Six-one?

So one current QB who is struggling and 2 old-timers (completely irrelevant to current age) make it fine? Steve Young was 6'2 and he had uncanny scrambling ability. Grothe is only 6', maybe less, doesn't have Young's scrambling ability or Brees' arm and vision, nor does he have Troy Smith's credentials, arm, success, etc. That all adds up to a late Day 2 pick, so why is he mentioned here?

Race for the Heisman
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Mobility doesnt work in the NFL because the speed of the game is so much faster.

Its odd that you'd say this considering the Dallas-Chicago game was essentially turned/decided based on the quarterbacks' ability to scramble. Romo's ability to escape and buy time to create coverage breakdowns (primary factor) and Grossman's inability to move allowing Dallas to rush to the end of the quarterback's drop (nominal factor).

big daddy russ
09-27-2007, 02:50 PM
So one current QB who is struggling and 2 old-timers (completely irrelevant to current age) make it fine? Steve Young was 6'2 and he had uncanny scrambling ability. Grothe is only 6', maybe less, doesn't have Young's scrambling ability or Brees' arm and vision, nor does he have Troy Smith's credentials, arm, success, etc. That all adds up to a late Day 2 pick, so why is he mentioned here?

My bad on Young, but Brees has only been down for three games. He'll be back.

I don't think Grothe's going to be a great NFL QB, or even an average NFL QB, but I do think other shorter QB's (Chase Daniels) will be just fine in the NFL.

Oh, and I'll let you use that quote in your sig, but I'm going to have to ask (for legal reasons) that you recognize that it is merely on loan for the time being. The following line was deemed acceptable by our legal experts:

"Copyright, Auburn University."

You may put it in fine print if you wish. Thank you for your cooperation.

holt_bruce81
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Chase Daniel

09-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I would have to say that Colt McKoy is the best Underclasmen QB... although he is a redshirted sophmore if im not mistaken right?

i doubt it but technically since colt mccoy is a redshirt sophomore he could enter this years draft if he really wanted to like sidney rice did last year

Travis 24
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
You guys do know, the guy that pretty much held every NFL-passing record for nearly 20 years...measured in at a whopping 6'0" 190 lbs...right?

You name some short QB's that didn't make it..then run off a list of a good tall QB's. How about:

Ryan Leaf (6'5"), Andre Ware (6'4"), Jim Druckenmiller (6'5"), Akili Smith (6'3")

Obviously, height has nothing to do with it...

tylerb929
09-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Since the subject is Grothe and short QBs, I could really see him being Garcia's replacement in Tampa Bay. Garcia is only 6'1 and Grothe is 6'0 there both mobile QBs who keep the play alive. Grothe is from South Florida, who plays in Raymond James Stadium, I'm sure the fans would give him more time to develope and such as he a home town player.

etk
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
You guys do know, the guy that pretty much held every NFL-passing record for nearly 20 years...measured in at a whopping 6'0" 190 lbs...right?

You name some short QB's that didn't make it..then run off a list of a good tall QB's. How about:

Ryan Leaf (6'5"), Andre Ware (6'4"), Jim Druckenmiller (6'5"), Akili Smith (6'3")

Yeah, you're right. Just name off a couple busts who were tall. Let's all just ignore how there's about 50 tall QBs for every short one, and pretend like bust rate is irrelevant.

For every tall QB you name who is a bust, I can name at least 2 who were solid. You can't even name one modern-age QB who is having success right now, or is consistent.

jayceheathman
09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Its odd that you'd say this considering the Dallas-Chicago game was essentially turned/decided based on the quarterbacks' ability to scramble. Romo's ability to escape and buy time to create coverage breakdowns (primary factor) and Grossman's inability to move allowing Dallas to rush to the end of the quarterback's drop (nominal factor).

We arent saying shorter QB's cant play but the size of DLman are 6'2 and up and when they reach there arms up it will be really hard for them to throw over them. Mobility doesnt work in the NFL because the speed of the game is so much faster. Sure its nice to have some moves like Romo and not just stand there like Grossman but the odds are definitely against you if you arent at least 6'2.

Thats what I stated in my post buddy. You are basically restating what I typed. Any team in the NFL will take a QB that is 6'5 and accurate over a 6'0 guy that has mobility any day of the week.

toonsterwu
09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Definitely not saying these guys are the best ...

In terms of junior QB's ... I'm mildly surprised that Ben Olson's name hasn't been mentioned. Granted, he's sucked this year (can't say I know why, haven't paid attention to the Bruins). But the tools are still there, and well, he's a junior. A strong senior year, and you'll see him rise up the boards.

I think Taylor Bennett is worth watching next year. I believe his top receivers come back, and he'll still have a strong run game.

etk
09-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Definitely not saying these guys are the best ...

In terms of junior QB's ... I'm mildly surprised that Ben Olson's name hasn't been mentioned. Granted, he's sucked this year (can't say I know why, haven't paid attention to the Bruins). But the tools are still there, and well, he's a junior. A strong senior year, and you'll see him rise up the boards.

I think Taylor Bennett is worth watching next year. I believe his top receivers come back, and he'll still have a strong run game.

I mentioned Ben Olson earlier (before the season) but since he started sucking I rescinded that mention. He has Matt Ryan physical tools and maybe he'll break out as a Senior like him.

I thought Bennett was a Senior now, otherwise I would've mentioned him. He looked great with CJ to throw to but he looks average right now with average receivers.

SuperKevin
09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Just curious, I haven't seen anything of Hunter Cantwell but everyone seems to be riding his jock pretty hard. What has he done to merit such consideration? I figure he must have stepped in when Brohm got injured and played pretty well, but he clearly wasn't good enough to inspire a quarterback controversy so why is he so highly rated?

He was really impressive for Louisville last year when Brohm missed like 5 games due to injury

SenorGato
09-27-2007, 06:26 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=874530669108119467&q=Matt+Grothe&total=39&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I do think I ignored the height thing too much...but Grothe looks like a pretty good prospect. I like him way better than I liked Troy Smith.

mqtirishfan
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Grothe is a RS soph, Buttered.

tylerb929
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
You can't even name one modern-age QB who is having success right now, or is consistent.
Jeff Garcia at 6'1" (Rex Grossman is 6'1" aswell, but that doesn't really help the agruement). There are plenty of 6'2" QBs (including Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Jon Kitna, Tony Romo, David Garrard, Jake Delhomme, Steve McNair)

Infact, 6 out of the top 10 QBs in the league right now (based on 2007 QB rating) are 6'2" or shorter.

draftguru151
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
6-2 isn't 6-0.

tylerb929
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
6-2 isn't 6-0.
Right, just saying you don't have to be 6'4" or 6'5".

Brent
09-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Stephen McGee, Texas A&M. Aside from his last game I am always impressed by him.
He sucks. His back up, Jerrod Johnson is going to be a beast... assuming that Fran is fired. If not it's "Real Deal" Reggie McNeal all over again.

jayceheathman
09-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Very good point but if you were a GM wouldnt you rather take a chance on a guy that is that big and has the tools to throw over the DLman over a shorter more mobile QB? For example, look at Scott's rankings of QB's and look at their height.

skeet3r
09-28-2007, 07:21 AM
I would say the top QB prospect for next year is Chase Daniel

soybean
09-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Rudy Carpenter in da house. I hate it when people mention Willie Tuitama as a top Junior QB because he has never blossomed well at all after a decent freshman year. Maybe its the 100 concussions he suffered, but I don't see much happening to him as of next year.

346 yards and 5 tds against a pretty good wazzu team. Mike stoops mustve called in a sick day. This kid definitely has potential, he was just stuck in a very unfair situation.

SuperKevin
09-30-2007, 02:40 AM
I would say the top QB prospect for next year is Chase Daniel

He's really short at a listed 6 feet tall. I'd say Nate Longshore is going into next season as the top senior QB

asu2100
10-01-2007, 12:00 AM
346 yards and 5 tds against a pretty good wazzu team. Mike stoops mustve called in a sick day. This kid definitely has potential, he was just stuck in a very unfair situation.
good wazzu team? are you kidding me? Getting blown out by zona does not make you a good team...

and Rudy Carpenter looks like he has returned to more of his freshman form, he is making great plays when scrambling and has made solid decisions all year long.

BradRoper
11-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Hunter Cantwell, Louisville, will easily be the #1 QB prospect going into the 2008 season. No one else will be close, because it is an extremely weak year for QBs and Cantwell is the only one with first round talent.

urinemonkey
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
No love for Ryan Perrilloux?

bearsfan_51
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
It's either Cantwell or Longshore. I think both grade as 1st rounders right now (obviously still incredibly early).

I think when it's all said and done Tebow will declare early and be the first QB drafted however.

bearsfan_51
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm suprised that not a single person has mentioned Chase Holbrook. He's a similar yet better version of Colt Brennan in my eyes, but not too many people have heard of him cause he's at New Mexico State. I think he's got a good chance at being a 1st day pick though, got good smarts and a solid arm.

Needs to cut down on the interceptions though. That's a killer if you're playing in a gimmicky offense.

art vandelay
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
My favorites are Curtis Painter and Cullen Harper.

Travis 24
11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Very good point but if you were a GM wouldnt you rather take a chance on a guy that is that big and has the tools to throw over the DLman over a shorter more mobile QB? For example, look at Scott's rankings of QB's and look at their height.

When I'm looking at a QB, height is one of the last things I'm looking at. Lets just say accuracy, arm strength, etc is all equal...one QB is 6'0" 205 lbs, the 2nd is 6'4" 220 lbs...but the 6'0" QB is very mobile, the 6'4" guy is not...I'll take the shorter guy any day of the week. Passing lanes are so overrated...Guys who are mobile can find lanes to throw into, and when things break down, they can escape.

The problem is, how many 6'0" QB's are there even in the NCAA??...not many. All I'm saying, is that Matt Grothe shouldn't be looked on as a player who can't play in the NFL because he's 6 foot tall.

BrownsTown
11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I think Cantwell could shoot up draft boards. He's a wild card since he's only gotten time when Brohm was injrued or out of the game, but with a full season it could be interesting to see what he'll do. A lot of people are high on him. If he doesn't emerge it could be a veeery weak class.

soybean
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
good wazzu team? are you kidding me? Getting blown out by zona does not make you a good team...

and Rudy Carpenter looks like he has returned to more of his freshman form, he is making great plays when scrambling and has made solid decisions all year long.

you can add 500 yds and 5 tds against Udub too.

season stats: 2800 yards 21 tds and 9 ints.

princefielder28
11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Proclaiming a best in this class is tough; it's more of who is the least worst

Staubach12
11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Next years is a bad class in comparison with this years. It's not good.

Babylon
11-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Next years is a bad class in comparison with this years. It's not good.

If Locker, Tebow and Stafford come out i think its better, but i'm pretty high on those 3.

Primetime21
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
If Locker, Tebow and Stafford come out i think its better, but i'm pretty high on those 3.

Locker will be a redshirted sophomore next year and there is 0% chance he will declare.

Babylon
11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Locker will be a redshirted sophomore next year and there is 0% chance he will declare.

I agree it would be unlikely(wouldnt say Zero chance) but if someone waves a suitcase full of money in front of a 20 year old sometimes they take it.

P-L
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I hate this junior class of QB, it's awful. I know it's early, but there isn't one guy I'd spend a 1st Round pick on. I'm not even a fan of Tim Tebow as far as pro prospects go. There is still a ton of time between now and the 2009 NFL Draft, but things definitely don't look pretty.

soybean
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
bad class? how many of you knew matt ryan would be a potential top 5 pick at this time last year?

Babylon
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
bad class? how many of you knew matt ryan would be a potential top 5 pick at this time last year?

Great point and Brohm was still up in the air whether he would be back and Woodson was a good SEC QB and that's about it.

scottyboy
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Mike Teel #1 overal pick in the 2009 draft. FTW

BradRoper
11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
It's either Cantwell or Longshore. I think both grade as 1st rounders right now (obviously still incredibly early).

I think when it's all said and done Tebow will declare early and be the first QB drafted however.

It's not fair to Tebow to compare him with Cantwell. Cantwell has a stronger arm and is more accurate!

San Diego Chicken
11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm intrigued by Cullen Harper. He has been excellent from the beginning of the season and really stabilized that Clemson team. Nice size at 6'4'', and he is pretty good outside of the pocket. I don't know about his arm strength.

Mel Kiper recently said Todd Boeckman has moved up to #1 in his junior rankings, but that was before Saturday's game. He has the prototypical size and arm.

Rudy Carpenter doesn't have the great size or cannon arm, but his intangibles are great. He's a little similar to Romo, makes plays with his feet and takes shots downfield. He's my personal favorite but he won't have great draft stock.

I think that next year's juniors are going to overshadow the senior class though. Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez would be my top guys. Likely only one or two of those juniors declare for the 09 draft however.

no love
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM

If you think Longshore is a 1st rounder right now, you have not been watching enough Cal games. Granted he has been play hurt, but it's his decision making that has been absolutely terrible. Rather than putting his team in a position to win, he has been losing games for Cal with bad decisions and game killing interceptions. He has to come back Sr. year and try to rebound from this terrible year. He has all of the tools, except for a brain.

Rudy Carpenter looks like a winner who just has great intangibles and good accuracy.

What do you guys think of Tavita Pritchard, I know he is just a So. but I have a feeling about him. Maybe it's because he threw a game winning TD pass against USC followed by two decent outings. It's hard to judge qbs from Stanford (Trent Edwards) because of the low quality of talent there, they have the worst line in the pac-10. I just have a feeling about him. He is really raw, but has good size and a decent arm.

Babylon
11-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm intrigued by Cullen Harper. He has been excellent from the beginning of the season and really stabilized that Clemson team. Nice size at 6'4'', and he is pretty good outside of the pocket. I don't know about his arm strength.

Mel Kiper recently said Todd Boeckman has moved up to #1 in his junior rankings, but that was before Saturday's game. He has the prototypical size and arm.

Rudy Carpenter doesn't have the great size or cannon arm, but his intangibles are great. He's a little similar to Romo, makes plays with his feet and takes shots downfield. He's my personal favorite but he won't have great draft stock.

I think that next year's juniors are going to overshadow the senior class though. Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez would be my top guys. Likely only one or two of those juniors declare for the 09 draft however.

Totally agree the juniors will steal the show and you would have to figure a few will come out, i would rank Stafford over Tebow but the gator QB has really imroved his accuracy. I like Chase Daniel also, sort of a Drew Brees type. As for Kiper i used to really like his work but some of the top players he touts now have me scratching my head.

Travis 24
11-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Jabu Lovelace in '10!

P-L
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Matthew Stafford and Tim Tebow are salivating at the opportunity to get big bucks next year. With the awful QB class next year, these two could easily be the top two available.

Babylon
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Matthew Stafford and Tim Tebow are salivating at the opportunity to get big bucks next year. With the awful QB class next year, these two could easily be the top two available.

Could be the top 2 players in the 09 draft period.

TheMikey10
11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Definitely not Nate Longshore for anyone who thinks so

look at his TD-INT ratio, 12-10, that is godawful

ncst8fan83
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Daniel Evans, FTW!!!

georgiafan
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
The more I watch tebow the more questions I have about his NFL future. He won't be able to run between the tackles and doesn't have the speed to run wide. He is always in the shotgun and rarely under center. A lot of times his WR's are so wide open and any 1-A QB could complete them. His WR also get a lot of YAC. He runs a gimicky offense in the scouts eyes.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I can cetainly tell you who isnt.Nate Longshore sucks.I feel sorry for the team that drafts him.

11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
The more I watch tebow the more questions I have about his NFL future. He won't be able to run between the tackles and doesn't have the speed to run wide. He is always in the shotgun and rarely under center. A lot of times his WR's are so wide open and any 1-A QB could complete them. His WR also get a lot of YAC. He runs a gimicky offense in the scouts eyes.

yet with the weak QB class next year he could go #1 just like alex smith did in '05

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
If you think Longshore is a 1st rounder right now, you have not been watching enough Cal games. Granted he has been play hurt, but it's his decision making that has been absolutely terrible. Rather than putting his team in a position to win, he has been losing games for Cal with bad decisions and game killing interceptions. He has to come back Sr. year and try to rebound from this terrible year. He has all of the tools, except for a brain.Not to mention throwing off his back foot and underthrown balls.He also always has to throw an Int towards the end of the game as well so Cal can lose.
Hurt?Hes had a high sprain since the Oregon game.He still cant be hurt.Hes just a wussy with a capital P

BradRoper
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Boecker has a very average arm for his size. Arm strength-wise, he was exposed on Saturday.

Cantwell will still go 1st, even if Stafford and/or Tebow come out.

kwilk103
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
does the play of alex smith hurt tebow?

georgiafan
11-13-2007, 09:53 AM
does the play of alex smith hurt tebow?

I think so, but it's to early to tell how much

draftguru151
11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Boecker has a very average arm for his size. Arm strength-wise, he was exposed on Saturday.

Cantwell will still go 1st, even if Stafford and/or Tebow come out.

So are you his little brother or what? We've had Jason Allen's mom, it would be neat to have another family member on the board.

Turtlepower
11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
If Rudy Carpenter can learn to get rid of the ball earlier, he can move up into day 1, but he is still making too many stupid mistakes as a 3rd year starter.

afftbl10
11-13-2007, 04:08 PM
how about boeckman from osu. 6-5 245lbs. huge arm and good accuracy. bad decision making vs illinois but thats his only bad game all year. could lead buckeyes to a 2008 title run and gets another whole year of experience.

P-L
11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't get the hype on Hunter Cantwell. He's started four career games, with his best games coming against UConn (2005) and Middle Tennessee State (2006). His 10:6 INT ratio in those four starts isn't anything special. He has good size and good tools, but he need a full season under his belt before we talk about him as the #1 overall QB. Then again, next year's QB class could be the worst since 1996.

scottyboy
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
So are you his little brother or what? We've had Jason Allen's mom, it would be neat to have another family member on the board.

really, that'd be cool.

last year someone PM'ed me asking me if i was related to Brian Leonard lol

jayceheathman
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm suprised that not a single person has mentioned Chase Holbrook. He's a similar yet better version of Colt Brennan in my eyes, but not too many people have heard of him cause he's at New Mexico State. I think he's got a good chance at being a 1st day pick though, got good smarts and a solid arm.

Needs to cut down on the interceptions though. That's a killer if you're playing in a gimmicky offense.

I have heard of him for awhile but that might be because I go to the same school he does. He is having a good year but with the horrible OLine he has teams know to put 8 guys in the box and make sure he doesnt have enough time to find Chris Williams. It really hurts now because Williams has been gone and will be for the rest of the season with a broken colar bone.

bored of education
11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
I'd say Tyler Sheehan, but dude is only a soph. Sophmore QB's are a boatload wow. That clas COULD be unreal

BLake Syzmanski, Nate Davis, Andy Schmitt, Karsten Sween, Tim Tebow, Nick Graziano, Colt McCoy, Max Hall, Donovan Porteire and some other foolios

++++ REP SON! so smart

BradRoper
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM

The deal with Cantwell is that he is a physical freak. Think parallel of Carson Palmer. Sure, he hasn't been a full-time starter, but he brings heighth, toughness, incredible accuracy and one of the best arms in America.

Even if Kragthorpe's ridiculous offense continues to stunt his QBs effectiveness, next year, look for Cantwell to skyrocket into the top 5 picks in next year's draft.

With the wave of spread offense QBs, there are not a lot of NFL stereotype quarterbacks coming down the pike in the next couple of drafts. Stafford, maybe, but he still hasn't proved he can harness his arm.

Chase Daniel, Todd Reesing, Colt McCoy, etc., are great college qbs. It won't happen for them at the next level. Tebow might be able to make the transition, but he doesn't take snaps behind center and doesn't play in an NFL offense.

Should be interesting.

BradRoper
11-14-2007, 08:51 AM

No, but I've known an NFL scout for the past 20-years and the NFL loves him. He said, "think Carson Palmer."

Maybe you're Cantwell's evil step-mother!

draftguru151
11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
You caught me, and that ***** needs to clean the kitchen.

BradRoper
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't get the hype on Hunter Cantwell. He's started four career games, with his best games coming against UConn (2005) and Middle Tennessee State (2006). His 10:6 INT ratio in those four starts isn't anything special. He has good size and good tools, but he need a full season under his belt before we talk about him as the #1 overall QB. Then again, next year's QB class could be the worst since 1996.

I think the hype pertains to the best arm, real 6'4" heighth. The guy is tough. He was Louisville's MVP of the 06 Gator Bowl, despite suffering a broken nose and a concussion in the 1st quarter of that game. Despite that, he threw for more TDs and more yards against #1 in the country defense.

Additionally, he is 3-1 in those 4 starts, all on the road. He has also "saved" a game in each of his first 2 years (Syracuse and Miami).

The other thing is, last year, he led the country in yards-per-completion at over 15-yards per, 10-yards per attempt, 64.3% in a verticle passing attack and a 166.4 quarterback rating.

vatech=accdomination
11-14-2007, 11:33 AM
I was impressed with cantwell in that gator bowl, he got rocked by chris ellis, put stuffing in his nose, and came back in.

jefepowhnzer
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Actually, Holbrooks name is all over the first page. I didn't think much of him until I saw him play against UNM earlier this year. That changed my mind quick, he makes some mediocre receivers look like studs(granted the system helps too, but I digress).

11-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I think the hype pertains to the best arm, real 6'4" heighth. The guy is tough. He was Louisville's MVP of the 06 Gator Bowl, despite suffering a broken nose and a concussion in the 1st quarter of that game. Despite that, he threw for more TDs and more yards against #1 in the country defense.

Additionally, he is 3-1 in those 4 starts, all on the road. He has also "saved" a game in each of his first 2 years (Syracuse and Miami).

The other thing is, last year, he led the country in yards-per-completion at over 15-yards per, 10-yards per attempt, 64.3% in a verticle passing attack and a 166.4 quarterback rating.

very unlikely a team would spend a first round pick on a QB with just one year and a bit of starting experience under his belt..he would really have to put on a show at the combine and even that could bump him only as far as the top of the second round. doesnt matter how weak the QB class is in '09.