PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon, thoughts?

geaux tigers
09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
11td 0int 69% completion. reminds me of VY.

any critiques on how his style of play could transfer over to the NFL? his mechanics? arm strength? i've only seen him action vs Michigan and was impressed.

what round?

could he go ahead of Booty?

foozball
09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
not quite VY. a poor man's version if you will. lets see him play a physical defense before we start hailing him as the next VY. i was the first to ask why he wasnt on the rankings, so dont think im not a believer. i really wanna see how he does against usc.

soybean
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
not quite VY. a poor man's version if you will. lets see him play a physical defense before we start hailing him as the next VY. i was the first to ask why he wasnt on the rankings, so dont think im not a believer. i really wanna see how he does against usc.

he may not have the size, but he's a better passer and he's faster than VY.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I thought he was like 6'4, 220?

duckseason
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Quite similar to VY, though he is smaller, quicker and a better passer. I think he's more polished than Young was when he came out. I'm very impressed with the strides he's made in the mental part of the game. He used to make a lot of stupid mistakes. His deep ball is one of the best in college football. His intermediate/short game needs work though. One knock on him entering the draft may be that he runs an unconventional offense. It's tough to project how he'll look without all the options and fake handoffs and with an NFL pass rush. His pocket awareness is exceptional. He rarely gets sacked, and is very adept at eluding oncoming defenders. This alone should have scouts very interested. He also has a good ability to throw on the run. But like I said, for whatever reason, he's often off a little bit on some of the shorter throws. He's got a strong arm and throws an excellent deep ball, but he still needs work. I think he's a bit underrated at this point, but I agree he really needs to prove a lot more than he has. VY led his team to the NC over SC. Dixon has yet to accomplish a damn thing. Young went from being considered a WR prospect prior to his junior year, to being the 1st QB taken in the draft. I think Dixon and the Ducks will need to win at least 10 games for Dixon to be considered a 1st round pick. If he can have a big game against Cal, and keep us undefeated going into the SC game, I expect his draft stock to skyrocket. In short, it's too early to project where he may go in the draft. At this point I could see him going anywhere from late 1st to 7th depending on how he does the rest of the season. If he can continue to avoid the turnovers, he'll be an excellent prospect in many scouts' eyes, considering his excellent physical attributes.

M.O.T.H.
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
The Braves wasted a draft pick.

fischbowl
09-24-2007, 04:59 PM

holla to that my dear friend.

Brent
09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I like him a lot more than I did VY.

Addict
09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
he's ugly as hell tho

RyanLeaf#1
09-25-2007, 11:09 AM

They wasted a draft pick but didnt he get over a hundred grand up front? If so hes living the college life with some cash in his pocket.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
They wasted a draft pick but didnt he get over a hundred grand up front? If so hes living the college life with some cash in his pocket.

I was really liking the pick initially but yeah, Dixon is a football player. He wont be playing for us.

RyanLeaf#1
09-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I was really liking the pick initially but yeah, Dixon is a football player. He wont be playing for us.

I know hes not going to be playing with the Braves. But didnt he get some cash up front?

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I know hes not going to be playing with the Braves. But didnt he get some cash up front?

$137,000 or so.

soybean
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
he's ugly as hell tho

he's got some sharp teeth.

As for the 100,000 grand, I forgot who on here said this but apparently it's allowed if you don't accept any endorsement deals. (ala Jeremy Bloom)

JhawkFitness
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
In NCAA athletics you can accept money for playing a sport but you forfeit your amatuer status in that specific sport, so Dixon can go and play pro baseball and then return to school for football but he can never play collegiate baseball. Both Chris Weike and the older Booty took that route, I believe Ricky Williams did as well.

VoteLynnSwan
09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
In NCAA athletics you can accept money for playing a sport but you forfeit your amatuer status in that specific sport, so Dixon can go and play pro baseball and then return to school for football but he can never play collegiate baseball. Both Chris Weike and the older Booty took that route, I believe Ricky Williams did as well.

Jeff Samardzija did the same thing.

toonsterwu
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
11td 0int 69% completion. reminds me of VY.

any critiques on how his style of play could transfer over to the NFL? his mechanics? arm strength? i've only seen him action vs Michigan and was impressed.

what round?

could he go ahead of Booty?

I think he's showing good development, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise a lot. Still very raw in some respects, but the tools are there, although, as with many young QB's, he needs some work on the mechanics in tidying things up. But he's gotten better and seems to be snapping the ball better this year in the little I've seen.