PDA

View Full Version : Possible NFL game in Canada next year...

Komp
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Columnists/Hicks_Graham/2007/09/23/4519086-sun.html

Scroll about 1/4 the way down...

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but Pat Bowlen has roots in Edmonton [I think he is from here originally] and Edmonton has the largest outdoor stadium in Canada. The game would sell out almost instantly here as Edmonton is a great sports city.

Diehard
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
That would be a triple win for me:

1. I live in Edmonton
2. I root for the Broncos
3. I hate the Patriots

Now, it just needs to actually happen...

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
lol, the NFL would never have a game in Edmonton, likley that would be their last place to go. If there is gonna be a game in Canada its gonna be in Toronto.

Komp
09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Toronto does not have the facility to host a regular season NFL game. The skydome is a horrible place for a football game. Commonwealth Stadium has 65,000 seats ready to go and they can probably bring in another 5-10,000 seats for the event. The venue has hosted high profile events before and has always sold out. I think you are underestimating the Pat Bowlen factor in this...

Zim3031
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Is this the final part of the patriots punishment? Now they have to lose a home game to Canada?

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
can we stop putting regular season games in other countries? this is stupid. unless all 32 teams lose a home game to play someplace else, it's ridiculous.
Yeah but check out what the winner gets....

http://www.clovermead.com/images/products/syrup_large.jpg

I mean....that's a lot of syrup....

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah they definately are. I actually like Canada...but I see no point in playing an NFL game there.

I thought the whole point of the CFL was that they had their own game. Isn't that why the NFL hasn't expanded to Toronto?

Moses
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah they definately are. I actually like Canada...but I see no point in playing an NFL game there.

I thought the whole point of the CFL was that they had their own game. Isn't that why the NFL hasn't expanded to Toronto?

NFL has been nice enough to not crush the CFL by expanding into Canada. The NFL is vastly more popular than the CFL in Canada and I'm sure any NFL game would sell out immediately in Canada.

I think it's inevitable that Toronto will eventually get an NFL team. The market there is just too nice not too.

Handel
09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Hope that will be in Montréal.

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
NFL has been nice enough to not crush the CFL by expanding into Canada. The NFL is vastly more popular than the CFL in Canada and I'm sure any NFL game would sell out immediately in Canada.

I think it's inevitable that Toronto will eventually get an NFL team. The market there is just too nice not too.

Well yeah clearly, but I was always told that the reason why the NFL hasn't expanded into Canada already (besides that Toronto is probably the only market that could sustain it) was that they had an underlying agreement with the CFL. I dunno..it doesn't matter that much anyway. The Bills are practically Toronto's team. I've always expected that sooner or later they'd make that jump across the Niagra.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I hope its the Ravens cause I'd love to fly out to Edmonton and go to a game! But hopefully its late in the season so I can catch an Oilers gam while Im out there.

JF4
09-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Toronto does not have the facility to host a regular season NFL game. The skydome is a horrible place for a football game. Commonwealth Stadium has 65,000 seats ready to go and they can probably bring in another 5-10,000 seats for the event. The venue has hosted high profile events before and has always sold out. I think you are underestimating the Pat Bowlen factor in this...

Have you ever been to the skydome? It might not be the best stadium ever but it's just fine to watch a football game in. There is absolutely no chance they have the game in Edmonton. It will be in Toronto for sure.

ks_perfection
09-24-2007, 08:17 PM

I completely agree, they'd play in Toronto but theres no need with Buffalo right by them. (especially since Buffalo stadium is bigger) It also won't riase awarness about the game and bring in new fans like it could in England or China.

Chucky
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I think Buffalo should play a "home" game in Toronto, they would have the support of the crowd, and bring more awareness to a very accesible fan base

Moses
09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I completely agree, they'd play in Toronto but theres no need with Buffalo right by them. (especially since Buffalo stadium is bigger) It also won't riase awarness about the game and bring in new fans like it could in England or China.

Point is that Toronto is a great market and would be a great spot for a franchise. I could see them selling out every game.

ks_perfection
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Point is that Toronto is a great market and would be a great spot for a franchise. I could see them selling out every game.

It defniitly would be a great spot for a franchise with a new big stadium. But with there current stadium theres little poing in 1 game with Buffalo right next door.

09-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Toronto is the only city in Canada where they could consistantly sell tickets. Vancouver would sell little unless a team were to have a good chance at post season. And a little tid-bit(which is slightly irrellevant) the Bluejays were the first ever team to have 4 million tickets sold in 3 consecutive seasons.....

Komp
09-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree that Toronto is the only Canadian city that could support a franchise, but for a one off game Edmonton is just as appealing of a destination as Toronto. Edmonton is quite reputable when it comes to hosting events like this and the city would get behind an event like this.

critesy
09-25-2007, 12:33 AM
hey now, you know saskatchewan and their fans... they're all crazy and sell out a ton of games... if only they had a bigger stadium