PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Jenkins

foozball
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
What's the scouting report on this guy? He has very good size for CB, could he play Free Safety?

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Why would you want to put him at FS lol. Hes a tremendous cover corner and one of my favorite prospects in the whole draft. Good size, speed, production. Excellent ball skills and jump. To be honest I have yet to find something about him I dont like.

foozball
09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
because my team needs a FS and already has a CB theyre grooming to be their #2...and they wont pick high enough for kenny phillips

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 03:08 PM
because my team needs a FS and already has a CB theyre grooming to be their #2...and they wont pick high enough for kenny phillips

Wel if thats the case than they prob wont be taking a first round corner.

keylime_5
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
He actually plays free safety a lot in the OSU nickel package when they put Andy Russell at NB and Chimdi Chekwa comes in as the LCB. I'm not sure why they do this, something to do with the important parts of Tressel's zone defense...but against tougher competition like Washington and eventually against Wisky, PSU, UM, etc. he plays CB more in the nickel with Russell moving to safety again. Best all around corner in the country.

T.Smith
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Malcolm is easily the best Cover Corner in this draft, he has good size, and great speed(he was on the 4 by 4 relay for ohio State over the summer) and could also very well be the most physical CB in the draft as well, he loves contact and you will often see him trying to get in on some of the hitting. He is a vocal leader at tOSU and a very very high energy guy(kid is always jumping around after play and getting hyped, and he always lead the pow-wow things before the game)
Could he be a saftey? Sure he could, we have been moving him to saftey on nickle because no QB's ever throw his way, and tressle wanted a way for Malcolm to use his Ball hawking skills, so yes he could be, but he is way better off at CB because of his Cover skills.

bored of education
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Under rated. All tOSu guys are now under rated. he could be the most NFL 'ready' Cb in college.

Vikes99ej
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Top ten pick in my opinion. Great size and instincts.

T.Smith
09-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I forgot to mention, he is also very young. I believe he just turned 19, or 20 can't remember.

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm an Ohio State fan and like keylime said he does do some deep zones on certain packages but I'm not sold on him as a safety. As a corner, absolutely, but his recognition/reaction when covering the deep zones is inconsist. Like against Washington for example, there was one instance where he was late and a big play was given up, and there was another instance where he got over to pick one off. He'd probably adjust fine with more looks but I just prefer him as a corner.

ironman4579
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm a Michigan fan, but I can appreciate Jenkins skills. No way do you move a corner as talented as he is. I'm sure he could play safety, but why would you move him?

Sniper
09-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Malcolm is easily the best Cover Corner in this draft

Malcom isn't the best cover corner in his conference, let alone the entire draft.

foozball
09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
K, my team is the Houston Texans. Our secondary is crap outside of Dunta Robinson. We've got the playmakergiverupper in Demarcus Faggins as our current #2 CB, and we have Fred Bennett waiting in the wings. He was impressive in camp and did well in the preseason and has drawn much praise from the coaching staff. He's had some injury problems, but nothing major, so he hasn't seen the field yet.

We've got a respectable nickle corner in Jamar Fletcher, and I think we will bring him back next year.

We don't have a free safety...at all. We could really use a physical player with good ballskills. Quintin Demps would be nice in the 3rd round, but I don't think he'll last that far. Even though CB is a premier position, we've at least got some depth there with Fletcher and Bennett. We've pretty much had two strong safeties playing for the past 3 years.

Sniper
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
K, my team is the Houston Texans. Our secondary is crap outside of Dunta Robinson. We've got the playmakergiverupper in Demarcus Faggins as our current #2 CB, and we have Fred Bennett waiting in the wings. He was impressive in camp and did well in the preseason and has drawn much praise from the coaching staff. He's had some injury problems, but nothing major, so he hasn't seen the field yet.

We've got a respectable nickle corner in Jamar Fletcher, and I think we will bring him back next year.

We don't have a free safety...at all. We could really use a physical player with good ballskills. Quintin Demps would be nice in the 3rd round, but I don't think he'll last that far. Even though CB is a premier position, we've at least got some depth there with Fletcher and Bennett. We've pretty much had two strong safeties playing for the past 3 years.

So trade up for Phillips

T.Smith
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Malcom isn't the best cover corner in his conference, let alone the entire draft.

You keep saying that to yourself.

foozball
09-24-2007, 06:35 PM
So trade up for Phillips

youre telling that to the team who couldnt even trade down from the #1 spot with reggie bush and vince young sitting there

P-L
09-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Although I'm against Cover-2 teams drafting corners early, I would love for the Lions to get him.

fenikz
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM

and he will be right when he says it

King > Jenkins

Sniper
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Sorry Homerboy, Jenkins isn't the best cover corner. I know it may be hard to grasp, but there are players out there that do things better than Ohio State players. For example, Todd Boeckman is not the best QB in the country. Beanie Wells is not the best RB in the country. James Laurinaitis is not the best LB in the country (actually none of these 3 are the best at their positions in the conference, let alone the country) You'll learn to accept it one of these days. From a pure coverage standpoint, Justin King is miles ahead of Malcolm Jenkins. and Jack Ikegwuonu may also have a case. Jenkins probably has better ball skills than those two and may be a more willing and able run support guy (probably tied with Jack), and he's got very good all-around talent, but from a coverage standpoint M. Jenkins can't hold Justin King's jock. So quit crying because someone said there's a better player at a certain thing over your Ohio State homer pick, but if you polled the board, I'm willing to bet (OSU and PSU homers notwithstanding), you would get a majority of the voters telling you that Justin King is the best pure cover corner in the Big 10 and probably the entire country. Take off the scarlet colored glasses and think before you post, it won't kill you.

bored of education
09-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Jenkins may not be the best 'cover corner', but he is def. most NFL ready. He is Ty law. Great instincts, anticipation skills are greater than any other, ability to read and react to the Qb rather than WR. The kid is great

Sniper
09-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Jenkins may not be the best 'cover corner', but he is def. most NFL ready. He is Ty law. Great instincts, anticipation skills are greater than any other, ability to read and react to the Qb rather than WR. The kid is great

Antoine Cason and Jack Ikegwuonu also have a case for most NFL ready too. Let's stop saying someone is "easily" the best at something unless he's worlds ahead of someone, shall we? And no, he's not great. He's very, very good, but only a few players are great.

bored of education
09-25-2007, 08:08 AM
ok i'll stop.

Jack has the off the field issues that make him ready to be suspended for 8 weeks

JoeMontainya
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry Homerboy, Jenkins isn't the best cover corner. I know it may be hard to grasp, but there are players out there that do things better than Ohio State players. For example, Todd Boeckman is not the best QB in the country. Beanie Wells is not the best RB in the country. James Laurinaitis is not the best LB in the country (actually none of these 3 are the best at their positions in the conference, let alone the country) You'll learn to accept it one of these days. From a pure coverage standpoint, Justin King is miles ahead of Malcolm Jenkins. and Jack Ikegwuonu may also have a case. Jenkins probably has better ball skills than those two and may be a more willing and able run support guy (probably tied with Jack), and he's got very good all-around talent, but from a coverage standpoint M. Jenkins can't hold Justin King's jock. So quit crying because someone said there's a better player at a certain thing over your Ohio State homer pick, but if you polled the board, I'm willing to bet (OSU and PSU homers notwithstanding), you would get a majority of the voters telling you that Justin King is the best pure cover corner in the Big 10 and probably the entire country. Take off the scarlet colored glasses and think before you post, it won't kill you.

Go away Michigan fan. Most of the announcers that have watched Jenkins play say "he is the best" this wasnt just made up by a homer OSU fan.

And even if fact of the matter ranks him #15 best at covering, can you honestly say there is a better corner overall in college that you would rather have?

WHO CARES if he might not actually be the best cover guy, but hes the best in the Big Ten, and there isnt a better tackling corner in the Big Ten. There probably isnt a more physical corner in the Big Ten.

Malcolm Jenkins is a bigger version of Antwain Winfield and OSU corners that are this highly ranked almost allways pan out.

JoeMontainya
09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Antoine Cason and Jack Ikegwuonu also have a case for most NFL ready too. Let's stop saying someone is "easily" the best at something unless he's worlds ahead of someone, shall we? And no, he's not great. He's very, very good, but only a few players are great.

Leave this thread before I start an Appellation State chant!

Your not here to actually add insight, your hear to put OSU fans down because your a Michigan guy. That is called trolling by the rules stated on nfldraftcountdown.com

JoeMontainya
09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
and he will be right when he says it

King > Jenkins

King cant tackle worth a darn compared to Jenkins. King isnt 1/10th as physical as Jenkins, and there speed isnt far off if at all. Jenkins is bigger and more proven at this point, so how exactly is King allready better?

Sniper
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
WHO CARES if he might not actually be the best cover guy, but hes the best in the Big Ten, and there isnt a better tackling corner in the Big Ten. There probably isnt a more physical corner in the Big Ten.

Malcolm Jenkins is a bigger version of Antwain Winfield and OSU corners that are this highly ranked almost allways pan out.

The first part of your reply was blah blah blah JoeMontainya is still blowing OSU. To the part that matters, T. Smith said "M. Jenkins is easily the best cover corner in the draft". So I disagreed with him. But you didn't bother to actually read before you posted did you? No, of course not. There isn't a better tackling corner in the Big 10, don't recall saying he wasn't. Jack I is more physical, but that's a push.

"Leave this thread before I start an Appellation State chant!

Your not here to actually add insight, your hear to put OSU fans down because your a Michigan guy. That is called trolling by the rules stated on nfldraftcountdown.com"

Start an App. State chant if you want, I don't give a ****. It happened 4 weeks ago, I've moved on. It's really not trolling since I'm writing my opinion, and it has nothing to do with Michigan vs. Ohio State. I'm not the guy who, in everything I type, goes BLAH BLAH BLAH MY TEAM RULEZZZZZZZZZ LOLZ OMGGGGGGGG OHIO STATE HAHAHHA LOLZ. Perhaps you could also use some Phonics work, as it's Appalachian State and you're not here, not your not here. If any mod thinks I'm trolling in this thread after reading my opinion, please slap me with an infraction and explain why it's trolling, because I don't see it.

"King cant tackle worth a darn compared to Jenkins. King isnt 1/10th as physical as Jenkins, and there speed isnt far off if at all. Jenkins is bigger and more proven at this point, so how exactly is King allready better?"

Once again, reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits. Go back and read the series of posts before typing. I said King was a better COVER corner than Jenkins, T. SmithOSUHOMER disagreed with me (shockingly), and fenikz said that he was a better cover corner too. For the love of God, you and NittanyLion2K7 need reading lessons...badly...Or just don't be so selective in your reading. King is a great cover corner but not as physical or well-rounded as Jenkins. King>Jenkins in coverage, Jenkins>King in run support and physicality. Reading, it's not that hard.

T.Smith
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Yo homboy, don't put words in my mouth, 90% of that post is things that I never even came close to saying, and now I am an osu homer? Please that just makes you an ignorant hater. When did I ever say Boekman was the best QB? He is an Average at best COLLEGE football QB. When the Hell did I say Beanie Wells was the best runningback? You pulling this **** out of your ass bro. When did I say James was the best Linebacker? NEVER, Hell he isn't even the best at his position in the conference, yet alone of all linebackers in all of the nation. Stop putting words in my mouth and assuming things.
So many things in your post just point out that you are completly ignorant of Malcolm Jenkins, you said he had "better ball skills then the others" Dude, are you for real? When has he showcased that? Because he never gets balls thrown to him to even make the assumption that he has better ball skills. It seems to me like you maybe watched 2 games and just assumed the rest. The fact of the matter is, is that Malcolm Jenkins is the best Cover Corner in the nation, D-line or not. Watch some more footage of Malcolm kid, and while your at it stop drinking the haterade.

You can get all the Penn state fans and anti-OSU people in here all you want, but it won't change the fact that Malcolm will be off the board before King. Your whole post was the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. It was basically "OH so ur fav team is osu lool u must lov evry playr ther and tink they R all da best players to ever play da game loool uz r a homer loooool" You are telling other people to read what you wrote, but your the one not reading what I wrote and just assuming I think things you made up in your head.

Sniper
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Yo homboy, don't put words in my mouth, 90% of that post is things that I never even came close to saying, and now I am an osu homer? Please that just makes you an ignorant hater. When did I ever say Boekman was the best QB? He is an Average at best COLLEGE football QB. When the Hell did I say Beanie Wells was the best runningback? You pulling this **** out of your ass bro. When did I say James was the best Linebacker? NEVER, Hell he isn't even the best at his position in the conference, yet alone of all linebackers in all of the nation. Stop putting words in my mouth and assuming things.
So many things in your post just point out that you are completly ignorant of Malcolm Jenkins, you said he had "better ball skills then the others" Dude, are you for real? When has he showcased that? Because he never gets balls thrown to him to even make the assumption that he has better ball skills. It seems to me like you maybe watched 2 games and just assumed the rest. The fact of the matter is, is that Malcolm Jenkins is the best Cover Corner in the nation, D-line or not. Watch some more footage of Malcolm kid, and while your at it stop drinking the haterade.

You can get all the Penn state fans and anti-OSU people in here all you want, but it won't change the fact that Malcolm will be off the board before King. Your whole post was the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. It was basically "OH so ur fav team is osu lool u must lov evry playr ther and tink they R all da best players to ever play da game loool uz r a homer loooool" You are telling other people to read what you wrote, but your the one not reading what I wrote and just assuming I think things you made up in your head.

So funny it doesn't even warrant a response...:)

gstock05
09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Sniper, your claims are rediculous. No doubt King and Ikegwuounu are great players, but there is no way you can absolutely say that Jenkins is worse than the two.

I don't personally think those two are better than Malcolm, but I think they do have ability to rise higher.

However, please, let me know where your claims that Malcolm isn't as good in coverage come from. Because A. you've never seen him play live (and dont give me the tv crap since you barely get to see most corners in the screen until the pass is already thrown.)

Furthermore, there is no statistical evidence against Malcolm to make a case, and there are no "measurables" that go against him.

With that said, I do think after seeing both LIVE, that King is SLIGHTLY better in coverage than Malcolm. However that doesnt make him a better cornerback. Malcolm makes quicker reads, is more physical, can jam receivers, and is great against big guys.

PS, Donald Washington is a better man purely in coverage in comparison to Jenkins. However he is not a better overall cornerback.

Sniper
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Sniper, your claims are rediculous. No doubt King and Ikegwuounu are great players, but there is no way you can absolutely say that Jenkins is worse than the two.

To be honest, they seem to be different types of players. King is a great cover man, weak on the run and overall tackling and also lacking ball skills. Jenkins plays the well run very well, bumps well, covers well etc...Jack is just, well, a mean corner. He is similar in some ways to Jenkins with the physicality and isn't afraid to mix it up.

With that said, I do think after seeing both LIVE, that King is SLIGHTLY better in coverage than Malcolm. However that doesnt make him a better cornerback. Malcolm makes quicker reads, is more physical, can jam receivers, and is great against big guys.

I didn't say it made him a better cornerback. I said in terms of coverage, King was better. This all started with T. Smith's ridiculous claim that "Jenkins is EASILY the best COVER corner in the draft". Nothing about overall ability, just pure coverage ability, and I'm sorry, even if you make a case for him being the best, he isn't EASILY ahead of King and Jack.

Comments. For the last time, this argument was about covering ability, not overall CB skills