PDA

View Full Version : I don't normally do mocks.....

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
But the Bears are depressing me right now. And when depressed it's always nice to think of potential draft picks next year. Anyway..here's a brief mock. I'd say be polite but I really don't care.

1)Bills - Jake Long. They might go QB, but I'd lean O-line.
2)Raiders- McFadden. If I was the Raiders I'd actually go for Dorsey, as I think they have bigger problems on defense, but I don't think that's what they'll do.
3)Falcons- Brohm. Seems obvious, which means it likely won't happen.
4)Dolphins- Dorsey. That D-line is old as sin.
5)Cowboys (via Browns)- Kenny Phillips. Secondary is terrible.
6)Giants- Calais Campbell- Top prospect, replaces Strahan.
7)Rams- Sam Baker. Assuming that Pace is done.
8)Saints- Dan Conner. They need linebackers dearly.
9)Vikings- Andre Woodson. Tavaris Jackson sucks.
10)Chiefs- Ryan Clady. O-line help.
11)Cardinals- Chris Long. Hustle guy...might help transition to the 3-4.
12)Jets- Desean Jackson. Clemmens needs weapons.
13)Detroit- Derrick Harvey. Lots of holes on this defense, but a legit pass rusher is needed for Marinelli's defense. Kalimba Edwards doens't cut it. "The Animal" would be a good fit here too.
14)Cincy- Sedrick Ellis. Beastly.
15)Tennessee- Steve Slaton. It's not that I don't like Lendale, it's that I think he works better in tandom. With he, Slaton, and Young they can run the ball down people's throats.
16)Chicago- Matt Ryan. He can actually see over the offensive lineman!! Of course Lovie will probably push for another D-lineman.
17)Washington- Gosder Cherilus. It seems that Jansen can never stay healthy, and as long as Gibbs is there they'll need some big hog-mollys.
18)Houston- Limas Sweed. This is turning out to be a good team. But they need another WR across from Johnson. Why not bring in another Texan?
19)Broncos- Keith Rivers- the offense probably needs more help than the defense, but there isn't much available at this point.
20)New England (from San Fran)- James Laurinaitis- Some punishment eh?
21)Tampa Bay- Frank Okam. The defense is actually playing at a high level but they're getting older and are relatively easy to run on.
22)Carolina- Malcolm Jenkins- Their secondary needs all the help it can get.
23)Jacksonville- Colt Brennan. I don't know what to make of the Jaguars, or Brennan. This probably won't happen, but that defense is too good for a mediocre QB.
24)Philadelphia- Quentin Groves. He'd be a great value here. Javon Kearse and Darren Howard have never fully earned their paychecks.
25)San Diego- Antonine Cason. This secondary needs help.
26)Baltimore- Tommy Blake. See Scott's comments.
27)Seattle- John Carlson. Makes sense here for a lot of reasons.
28)Green Bay- Aqib Talib. They need youth and depth at the corner position.
29)San Fran (via Ind)- Earley Doucet. Another target for Alex Smith to not throw to.
30)Pittsburgh- Barry Richardson- Big Mauler type for the RT position.
31)Dallas- Terrell Thomas. Plays the nickel for now, but could challenge Henry.

Turtlepower
09-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Justin Tuck is our replacement at DE and Kiwi will move back after this year (hopefully). Even though we need defense more, I would take Baker, but consider reaching for Keith Rivers.

NO DE!!! =D

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Justin Tuck is our replacement at DE and Kiwi will move back after this year (hopefully). Even though we need defense more, I would take Baker, but consider reaching for Keith Rivers.

NO DE!!! =D
Keith Rivers would be a huge reach at this point.

Baker would be a fine pick, and I don't disagree, but equating Tuck to Campbell is silly. Tuck would be an ok starting DE, and is a good 3rd DE, but when you get the chance to draft a lights out DE you don't not do it cause you have Justin Tuck.

But yeah..Baker would be fine too.

Geo
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Hopefully some Rams fans can confirm or deny this, but I believe Alex Barron (a left tackle the Rams drafted in the 1st round a few years ago) has actually played pretty well since moving to left tackle after Pace went down to injury. The problems have been elsewhere along the line.

And I don't think a team drafts Baker to play right tackle, though more foolish decisions have been made on draft day. That's probably the area where Baker goes though.

And the Jets have MUCH bigger needs than Desean Jackson, I would think. As in fielding a competent defense. But again, that's probably where Jackson will go.

Nice job.

Windy
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
can't argue with mcfadden even though we have bigger needs like you said. good draft.

skinzzfan25
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
We can still get a few more years out of Todd Wade. I still think we go DE first round, and OT second, but based on BPA they can go either way.

scottyboy
09-24-2007, 03:23 PM
the Giants taking a DE is one of the worst ways to go. They would start Tuck or start Kiwi there. We need a CB or LB, we'd probably trade down(or up for Philips) maybe take Connor

TitanHope
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Slaton for the Titans is an interesting pick.

As of right now, the Titans don't have a glaring need, possibly except for WR. Though, a few positions could be upgraded. RB could be one of them, since Chris Brown is a FA next year and may decide to leave at a chance to be more of a featured back. Not to mention, I don't see a player left on the board that is a must have and there would still be chances to assess positions in the later rounds (Hopefully WR in round 2). The only question is Chris Henry, and how he'll pan out. But currently, most Titans fans are viewing him as a wasted 2nd round pick.

Slaton is the definition of a big play threat. Him, White, and Young would go wild. Not mention, the transfer for Slaton going from one mobile QB to another would be easy. You're definitely thinking outside of the box, bearsfan. Nice pick.

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't do trades. If Phillips was available I'd have taken him for the Giants.

Connor is a possibility, but 6th seems high for an OLB that doesn't have elite skills. Same with Baker, who Geo pointed out, has questions about playing Left Tackle.

Tuck to me just seems like the stereotypical fan response "we don't need elite draft pick, we have so and so that only our own fans think is special".
It happens all the time. Just like the Vikings took Adrian Peterson when they already had Chester Taylor. 9 times out of 10 the smart teams will take the most elite prospect available. Especially in the top 10 where $$$ makes a huge difference.

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Slaton for the Titans is an interesting pick.

As of right now, the Titans don't have a glaring need, possibly except for WR. Though, a few positions could be upgraded. RB could be one of them, since Chris Brown is a FA next year and may decide to leave at a chance to be more of a featured back. Not to mention, I don't see a player left on the board that is a must have and there would still be chances to assess positions in the later rounds (Hopefully WR in round 2). The only question is Chris Henry, and how he'll pan out. But currently, most Titans fans are viewing him as a wasted 2nd round pick.

Slaton is the definition of a big play threat. Him, White, and Young would go wild. Not mention, the transfer for Slaton going from one mobile QB to another would be easy. You're definitely thinking outside of the box, bearsfan. Nice pick.
Thanks. I just feel like with VY's limited throwing ability (at least right now) why spend a bunch of 1st rounders on wide recievers? Didn't we see the results with Mike Vick? If the Titans are going to be a running team, embrace that. Get a guy like Slaton that compliments Lendale very well and throw a bunch of packages at teams. Not to mention the O-Line is made for a rushing offense.

I dunno...just my thoughts.

JETS5128
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Meh, not a pick i'd want but in that situation i don't really see a better option

TitanHope
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks. I just feel like with VY's limited throwing ability (at least right now) why spend a bunch of 1st rounders on wide recievers? Didn't we see the results with Mike Vick? If the Titans are going to be a running team, embrace that. Get a guy like Slaton that compliments Lendale very well and throw a bunch of packages at teams. Not to mention the O-Line is made for a rushing offense.

I dunno...just my thoughts.

My sentiments exactly. Though, we haven't had a WR that demanded attention since Derrick Mason left. Many think that having a great WR who attracts a DEF's attention would benefit the offense. Because as of right now, we have no one. Also, over the past 4 years, we've drafted I think 4 WR's in the 3rd round, one in the 2nd, and 3-4 in rounds during the 2nd day. Currently, 4 of those WR's are still on the roster, and two of them were drafted in last year's draft. I think that actually drafting a polished WR in the first 2 rounds would be best. But you are correct in that this offense is a run-first offense, so great talent at that position is needed. Plus, we value defense over offense, which was apparent last year when we passed on Meachem, Bowe, and Jarrett for Michael Griffin. Though, I think Vince Young is a good passer...every other week. So maybe a great WR would help him in his consistency. I would definitely consider Adarius Bowman or Fred Bennett, if you have him declaring, in the 2nd round.

But, its nice to see you actually think about the team and how its run when you consider your picks, as opposed to most other mock makers.

OSUGiants17
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Calais is a good pick but I see us taking either Baker, Malcolm Jenkins, or Dan Connor there over him.

Vikes99ej
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Great pick for the Vikings. The new coach will want his own QB of the future.

Caddy
09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
The Buc's could definitely use some help on the defensive line but I guess I've just never been a fan of Frank Okam.

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
No way the first corner gets taken at 22.

The Ravens wont go defense, their offense needs badly a 1st round playmaker.

Im happy with the Steelers o=going o-line.

No Jonathan Stewart or Vernon Gholston?

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM

It is low I agree. It's just how the board worked out. Corners aren't as valuable as they used to be with the new rules and the incresed reliance on safties. The first two corners last year went 14th and 18th so it's not that out of the question, especially looking at this years class.

The Ravens very well could go offense under that scenario. Who is there to take? I thought about Chad Henne but I'd have been massacered at this point. O-line is a possibility, but Blake is a perfect fit for the Ravens.

Jonathan Stewart is a first rounder? Really? I don't claim to follow the draft that much but that suprises me. I think Gholston comes back. Ohio State is only going to be better next year.

Wootylicous
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Can't argue with the Woodson pick. good one !!

HoopsDemon12
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
As much as i like Long... i think we go Dorsey in that pick... we spent too much money on our oline to abandon those players already

SeanTaylorRIP
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Not true on the Ravens, only offensive player they would go would be QB but that late they aren't getting a franchise guy, anyways they are high on Boller and Troy Smith. RB is not a need, TE obviously not, not WR as Demetrius Williams and Mark Clayton are pegged as starters for the next 10 years. Dmase will probably be back if not a solid veteran signing will solve the solution, and the O-line has so much youth and talent. Yamon Figurs will be a beast slot wideout too. At the C and guard spots they have talent all over with guys like Jason Brown, Chris Chester, Ben Grubbs, etc. RT is Adam Terry's and LT appears to be Jared Gaither to replace Ogden, or Terry playing LT and Marshall Yanda playing RT. I see the Ravens solidifying their defensive future with some of the older guys soon to be gone like Pryce, Ray Ray, and the two corner Samari and Cmac who are getting older with Samari the first who will go. So look for them to go CB or MLB, and maybe DE if the right player drops though they have guys who can fill in there.

neko4
09-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Okay pick for the Pack, there are other CB's i lilke better than Aqib

Yung Flippa
09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Ravens would rather pick up a corner.

Green Bay Scat
09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Wheres Earl Bennett?

princefielder28
09-24-2007, 07:30 PM
right pick for GB

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Wheres Earl Bennett?

I'm unconvinced he'll come out, and if he does I've got him about equal with Doucett, though I don't know his measurables offhand.

Don Vito
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Good Pats pick, ILB is probably our biggest need over CB and Laurinaitis has everything we look for in an ILB.

23trufant
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
solid seahawks pick i cant argue it

TimD
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I think the Jets will go Harvey or Okam at the position, but Jackson would be a fine pick. He'd be the first offensive skill player drafted in the first round in a while for the Jets. Actually the first guy since Santana Moss (who turned out pretty good I'd say, although not for the Jets).

KILLERSANTA
09-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Good Cowboys mock

etk
09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Okam would be a good replacement for Hovan in the future. It's not an ideal pick but I'm always down for another defensive lineman. Having a solid rotation of talent does wonders for your defense in the trenches, the Eagles are an example.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
boooooo.picking 2nd boooooooo.

aNYtitan
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
It was an interesting pick for the Titans, but it was a pick that I really didn't like. I understand what you are saying about having another weapon for Vince Young, but Slaton isn't it. A WR would be a much better fit in Tennessee. I am completely shocked that you don't have Early Doucet in the first round, who would probably be the pick for the Titans, or if he is already taken, someone like Malcolm Kelly or Mario Manningham would also fit

KCJ58
09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
like the Rams pick of baker also would like a DE or CB

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
It was an interesting pick for the Titans, but it was a pick that I really didn't like. I understand what you are saying about having another weapon for Vince Young, but Slaton isn't it. A WR would be a much better fit in Tennessee. I am completely shocked that you don't have Early Doucet in the first round, who would probably be the pick for the Titans, or if he is already taken, someone like Malcolm Kelly or Mario Manningham would also fit
Doucet is in the 1st round, he's going to the Niners.

I didn't give the Titans a WR because I think it would be a waste of a 1st rounder. The Falcons gave Vick two first rounders, how well did that work out? What's the point of giving a guy a cadillac if he doesn't know how to drive?

Plus, is Lendale White able to stand on his own? Is Chris Brown that big of a deal? I mean...they've already cut the guy once now, I'm sure they'll do it again.

TitanHope
09-24-2007, 11:40 PM
The difference between Mike Vick and Vince Young is that Young is a pass first QB and has committed to that mentality early in his career. Vince Young can drive and has the keys. He could use that Cadillac, bearsfan.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 12:44 AM
We'll see...difference of opinion. I don't think it would be a bad idea, but if I'm choosing between Slaton and Sweed (or Doucet) I'm going with Slaton for the Titans.

It's a coin flip I'll agree. I just really like the duo of Slaton and White.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
boooooo.picking 2nd boooooooo.

Hey come on...you're better than the Bills!! *thumbs up*

thebow305
09-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Dorsey is not a 3-4 Defensive Lineman... so he wouldn't fit our (the phins) defense. Kenny Phillips would be a much better, more logical pick there.

fenikz
09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
The Cardinals are pretty set for along time with DE in the 3-4(Antonio Smith & Darnell Dockett) plus we have some decent depth there, give us a 3-4 OLB, ILB, or CB, just go BPA out of the 3

Bills2083
09-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Please explain the Bills pick. It makes no sense

Wyndham
09-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I think you have the order of the top 12 or 13 picks a lot more accurate than most people, outside of Oakland being so bad (which I don't think will be the case), but I really don't care much for KC's pick at #10.

They do need offensive line help, of course, but they appear to strictly be a BPA team under Herm Edwards, and I'm really not sure Clady is that guy. They'd have a lot of options with what's available, but I think Matt Ryan or DeSean Jackson would be solid picks.

On another note, I almost feel like adding a disclaimer to every post I make in the mock draft forum as it all depends on how the season plays out. For example, the Chiefs won't touch a quarterback in round one if Croyle shows he can limit mistakes and hold up in regular season games, as he's shown a very live, strong and accurate arm, but of course it remains to be seen. If he doesn't even get in the game this season (which would be a huge mistake), they could certainly go QB if the right guy is there.

Finsfan79
09-25-2007, 07:55 AM

great player but doesnt fit the system

Baker or Phillips or even Campbell would be better please

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Please explain the Bills pick. It makes no sense

Umm......

1)The Bills have allowed 8 sacks in 3 games. That's terrible for a team that actually runs the ball more than passes it.

2)The Bills are last in the NFL in points scored with 8 per game (some of that coming off of special teams)

3)The Bills are last in the NFL with YPG at 200 (seriously...200...even the Bears think that's pathetic).

4)The Bills are last in the NFL with Passing YPG at 92!?!?!

5)Jason Peters is a pretty good offensive lineman, but he's not a stud LT. Move him back to RT, get rid of that piece of trash Langston Walker and boom! Problem solved. Worst case scenario Long gives you one of the best RT in the NFL.

So...let's review. The Bills won't take McFadden because Lynch is about the only good offensive player they have.

They could draft a QB, but they just got Trent Edwards, and I'm unconvinced that Brohm or Woodson deserves 1st pick money. Not to mention that if you draft a franchise QB and put him behind that line you're not doing him much of a service anyway. Marv Levy is about 200 years old, I'm sure he'd like to build a winner before he dies.

Boom! Best offensive player available. Jake Long.

Now I know the defense sucks too..don't get me wrong...but while Dorsey is great, I would never condone picking a DT with the 1st pick in the draft. And DE is about the only position on defense they don't have question marks.

If that doesn't make any sense to you....umm.....

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

great player but doesnt fit the system

Baker or Phillips or even Campbell would be better please
Yeah the more I think about, the less likely I think a 3-4 team would draft Dorsey that high. Not that I don't think he could do it, I do, but it seems a bit of a waste of his talents.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 12:01 PM
The Cardinals are pretty set for along time with DE in the 3-4(Antonio Smith & Darnell Dockett) plus we have some decent depth there, give us a 3-4 OLB, ILB, or CB, just go BPA out of the 3
Who the hell is Antonio Smith?

jackalope
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I like the pick of corner back for the Packers. I'd like us to either go CB or TE in the first (although our TEs are playing well so far).

Pit Bull #53
09-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I actually like the Slaton pick and agree with your assessment. Plus Slaton works well in the gun which we do alot of.

Guess the only wildcard woud be Chris Henry. I'd imagine most people just assume that he was a huge reach and will be a bust. Maybe he will, who knows. To be honest I never saw him play in college and was surprised when I saw him play in preseason. I heard that he ran soft and danced in the backfield too much. I saw the exact opposite, but he didn't really put up much in the way of stats. Then again none of our backs did. Who knows with him...I don't see him getting any PT this year since we only keep 2 backs active unless someone gets hurt (Chris Brown).

Bills2083
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Umm......

2)The Bills are last in the NFL in points scored with 8 per game (some of that coming off of special teams)

3)The Bills are last in the NFL with YPG at 200 (seriously...200...even the Bears think that's pathetic).

4)The Bills are last in the NFL with Passing YPG at 92!?!?!

They could draft a QB, but they just got Trent Edwards, and I'm unconvinced that Brohm or Woodson deserves 1st pick money. Not to mention that if you draft a franchise QB and put him behind that line you're not doing him much of a service anyway. Marv Levy is about 200 years old, I'm sure he'd like to build a winner before he dies.

Or, we could trade down, and select Glenn Dorsey. Peters is a good LT. Walker has done pretty well so far. The two weak spots on our Oline are RG and Center. None of which I can see us taking with the #1 pick. It makes more sense to trade back, select Dorsey, and then take a WR later on in the draft.

Our offense sucks because we have an incompetent QB and terrible play-calling.

Our defense is always on the field, and the opposing team's offense is always eating up the clock.

If we could get a new HC/OC/DC, I'd be all for it. I just dont see Marv doing it.

M.O.T.H.
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Given the fact that Mcfadden is off the board...I like what you did for the boys. I personally dont think we will go FS, Hamlin's played well and Watkins is improving every week. I say this now but, yeah it could easily turn for the worse and we may need to go FS so, I guess it's a good pick. I love Terrell Thomas...exceptional talent w/ huge upside...the injury history is a bit scary but, if he can stay healthy, it could turn out be one hell of a pick.

Not too bad, overall.

Bills2083
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
yeah, lots of teams have recently had serious success trading out of the top pick. great point.

Did I ever say it was going to be easy?

Bills2083
09-26-2007, 06:17 PM
^^ well, i've seen it done by a mock maker

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13299

The Legend
09-26-2007, 07:18 PM
28)Green Bay- Aqib Talib. They need youth and depth at the corner position.

a bears fan listing the packers so high what has the world come too