PDA

View Full Version : My (partial) Week 3 Thoughts

Shiver
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Changing of the Guard

Last year the Bears combined a fantastic defense and special teams play with a solid rushing attack and a passing game that had moments where it was productive. In an early primetime game they dismantled the Seahawks to announce that they were the team to beat. Now it has happened again, except this time it’s happened against the Bears. This year’s team still has the defense and the special teams. However, Rex Grossman has to go. No longer is Rex going from ‘good Rex’ to ‘bad Rex,’ now there is just ‘bad Rex’ all of the time. What also hurts is Cedric Benson has been unable to be a productive NFL starting caliber RB. Teams in the NFC North were reportedly celebrating when the Bears decided to trade away Thomas Jones and it looks like they were right. Without that potent running game and pass blocking that Jones’ provided, Grossman has been dreadful. I still think it’s time to put in Griese; it isn’t as if the team has a lot invested in Grossman.

The Cowboys look like the powerhouse in the NFC right now. The defense was pitiful in the opener, but since has looked very good the past two weeks. Demarcus Ware, in particular, has been a force. They don’t need the defense to be excellent because of how great their offense is. Tony Romo has answered all the questions about his long term success, and it was evident that even the Cowboys were unsure how productive he would be as a full time franchise QB seeing as how they choose to put off contract talks. Terrell Owens and Jason Witten are both among the top-5 at their respective positions. The O-Line looks a lot stronger this year with Leonard Davis excelling at his natural position of guard. I thought Washington had a chance to take the NFC East; however, they blew a golden opportunity to go 3-0 and 2-0 in the division on Sunday.

Tampa Bay’s Division to Lose

I thought that Jeff Garcia would stabilize the offense. I thought the O-Line would improve. I did not expect the Tampa Bay defense to be playing as well as they have. The young players have played very well and they’ve shut down New Orleans and St Louis in consecutive weeks. Barrett Rudd has more than replaced Shelton Quarles, he’s an improvement. What works in their favor is New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina are flawed teams.

Rise of the Packers

Brett Favre looks like a completely different guy this year. He isn’t making stupid, asinine decisions. He isn’t lobbing passes into double coverage for no particular reason. He is playing almost like he did in ’03. I was skeptical, for good reason, when he said he was going to manage the games and not play like a gunslinger. Unfortunately the only thing that prevents me from calling them a legitimate NFC contender is their lack of a running game. They have everything else, including a great front seven.

Fall of the Chargers

What a colossal mistake this franchise made when they got rid of Marty Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv Turner. I understand trying the ‘01/’02 Bucs strategy, but you have to replace your incumbent with someone who is capable of, you know, winning. Before the season I pondered that perhaps, just maybe, Norv Turner never had the talent to succeed. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and the Chargers are underachieving across the board. Philip Rivers finally got his act together and looked great, Antonio Gates may just be having his best season as a pro, and the run defense looks very good. Other than that it has been a disastrous season. The O-Line somehow regressed as Tomlinson has seen very little daylight. Last year he was getting to the second level on a consistent basis, this year he’s dodging defensive players in the backfield. I’m convinced he will back get on track. I cannot say the same thing about the secondary. AJ Smith has invested a lot in Antonio Cromartie, Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Eric Weddle and Marlon McCree and they stink.

Matt Leinart = bust?

Anyone that has been here since before the ’06 draft should know that I have never, ever liked Matt Leinart as an NFL prospect. I thought he would be a bust on the next level. He lacked the arm strength to make throws that an NFL QB has to be able to make; the 18-yard post, the 15-yard out, etc. He played on an all-star college team, with receivers that caught anything in their vicinity. He had an O-Line that was full of 1st and 2nd round talents like Baker, Kalil, Justice, Lutui. He had Bush and White in the backfield. When I found out that Matt Leinart was pulled for Kurt Warner that was a sign that I had been right in my convictions. Kurt Warner looked much better than Leinart, even against a stout Ravens defense. Sure Whisenhunt denied that this had any meaning; that being said, the last time I heard those statements were when Kubiak pulled David Carr from a game and watched Sage Rosenfels outperform Carr. He had a decent game last week against Seattle, but has two dud games out of three. I think it’s clear that Jay Cutler and Vince Young were better prospects and will be better NFL players.

Quick Observations

Finally the Broncos made a good draft selection on a WR. Typically receivers make their breakout in their second season. He was the lone bright spot of Denver’s game against Jacksonville, earning his “Baby TO” nickname.
Donovan McNabb talked a lot in the days leading up to this week’s game and fortunately for his sake he played great. This should stave off the Eagles’ fans for a couple weeks at least.
The O.R.O.T.Y award is neck and neck between Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson. I think Peterson will take it in the end. He’s accounting for half of the Vikings’ offensive production. He is truly the player he was purported to be and should be a top-5 NFL RB if he can avoid the fluke injuries that plagued him at Oklahoma.
Roddy White has superstar potential, I said that back in ’05 where he had a great six game stretch as a rookie. He struggled as a sophomore with drops. Now he is the only bright spot on the Falcons offense and has been since game 1.
Don’t look now, but Trent Edwards may be the QB of the future in Buffalo. Even if he is not, Losman’s injury only cause a controversy.
Dwayne Bowe looks like a stud in the making. He has blown me away the past two games and it sure looks like he will be a keeper for the Chiefs.
Imagine if the Packers could have traded for Randy Moss. They probably would have put them in the driver seat in the NFC.
It figures that as soon as Vernon Davis starts playing very good football he gets hurt. So much for that prediction.
Ronnie Brown finally looked like the player that was drafted with the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft.
Eli Manning made a few awful throws against the Redskins; unfortunately I don’t think he’ll ever live up to the billing. He’s still an above average starter though.
NFL Network called out Fox’s pre-game analysts when they showed that every single one of them picked the Lions to beat the Eagles.
Texans Decimated

I’m amazed they were competitive with Indianapolis. They are down to their 3rd and 4th receivers in Andre Davis and Kevin Walter. They lost their starting center for the season. Worst of all Ahman Green is once again hurt and the team now has to rely on Samkon Gado. Matt Schaub showed yesterday that he could make the most out of little by having a somewhat decent performance. The Texans need to get their playmakers back, otherwise their playoff aspirations will slip away from them.

AFC West Up For the Taking

I really don’t know what to think. I still would guess that Denver will win, but they’ve looked inconsistent thus far and they might lose the next two games. San Diego, whom I’ve already discussed, could still come back from their 1-2 predicament if Denver doesn’t get things together. Oakland has an outside shot, but I think they are a year away from seriously contending. Kansas City is the only team I don’t think has a shot.

MNF Analysis

(to be added at a later date)

AFC Dark Horse

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be a very scary team in the play-offs. They are 3-0 and I think they are clearly the best team in the AFC North. They have balance on offense and a terrific defense. All anyone in the media ever talks about is Indianapolis and New England. I’m not picking Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl, but they have a chance to beat one of those teams. They have a team that can win in the post-season and no one should overlook them.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Warner looking better than Leinart is an understatement, Kurt Warner looked better than Peyton Manning against the Ravens, he picked them apart like an All American collegiate QB playing a high school JV team, Leinart was awful. He lacks the arm to make the tough down field throws. I honestly don't like him anymore than I like Charlie Frye in potential. Yes he is a great leader and has the smarts but everything else is poor. Leinart in about 3 quarters of play was 9/20 for 53 yards no TD's led his team to 3 points. The Bulk of his poor 53 yards was a screen to boldin or short slant something like that in which Boldin broke a billion tackles. Kurt Warner in just over a quarter of play was 15/20 for 258 yards and 2 TD's. He led his team to 20 points and a near win in the last quarter.

yourfavestoner
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Stop taking all of my ideas and liking the same players as me.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Great read as usual. I agree on Brandon Marshall, he's a stud. Last year, when Cutler came in, you could really tell. He had the huge TD against Seattle, and he made a SPECTACULAR catch against Cincy. Like, I saw it and I thought for sure he was 5 yards out of bounds. But then I saw the replay, and oh baby, he dragged his feet just in. He is a tank. Although I think we had 4 bright spots in that game, Marshall, Dumervil(2 sacks), Sauerbrun(Lol, but 63 yards per punt), and Cutler(played very well with no running game, his INT at the end is hardly a fault, he needed to take risks like that down 9 with under 2 minutes left and no timeouts). Other than that, we stunk.

SuperMcGee
09-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree AD deserves to be ahead, but he's not the only one accounting for half their team's offense.
Lynch has 264 of our 600 yards and both of our TD.

I can't believe we average 92 yards passing. Disgusting.

SuperMcGee
09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Great read as usual. I agree on Brandon Marshall, he's a stud. Last year, when Cutler came in, you could really tell. He had the huge TD against Seattle, and he made a SPECTACULAR catch against Cincy. Like, I saw it and I thought for sure he was 5 yards out of bounds. But then I saw the replay, and oh baby, he dragged his feet just in. He is a tank. Although I think we had 4 bright spots in that game, Marshall, Dumervil(2 sacks), Sauerbrun(Lol, but 63 yards per punt), and Cutler(played very well with no running game, his INT at the end is hardly a fault, he needed to take risks like that down 9 with under 2 minutes left and no timeouts). Other than that, we stunk.

His TD against Buffalo was beautiful - perfect throw, perfect catch, perfect footwork.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Warner looking better than Leinart is an understatement, Kurt Warner looked better than Peyton Manning against the Ravens, he picked them apart like an All American collegiate QB playing a high school JV team, Leinart was awful. He lacks the arm to make the tough down field throws. I honestly don't like him anymore than I like Charlie Frye in potential. Yes he is a great leader and has the smarts but everything else is poor. Leinart in about 3 quarters of play was 9/20 for 53 yards no TD's led his team to 3 points. The Bulk of his poor 53 yards was a screen to boldin or short slant something like that in which Boldin broke a billion tackles. Kurt Warner in just over a quarter of play was 15/20 for 258 yards and 2 TD's. He led his team to 20 points and a near win in the last quarter.

He talked about how he needs to watch more film and understand the offense better. In fact, one of the reasons they pulled Leinart is Warner knew the hurry up part of the offense better than Leinart. The fact that he doesn't know those things shows that he isn't even ready for the NFL on a mental level, as well as his meager physical skills.

scottyboy
09-24-2007, 06:09 PM
well said. I agree with mainly everything. The only thing i have trouble with is how you said Eli will probably be only an above average starter. I think he is one step up, as a good starter. Not very good, or great, but good. His stats would've been much better if Plax and Shockey could catch in the 1st half. His decision making has for the most part improved(except that one easy INT he threw while falling down). The OL for the Giants was pretty bad last night.

I know, I'm kinda nitpicking here :D good job overall

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking that AD will win OROY based on his name (as well as stats), but I still maintain the fact that I prefer Lynch over him as an NFL runner.

jayceheathman
09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm still going for Calvin Johnson to win OROTY

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm still going for Calvin Johnson to win OROTY

Johnson got injured yesterday.

Moses
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking that AD will win OROY based on his name (as well as stats), but I still maintain the fact that I prefer Lynch over him as an NFL runner.

Peterson has clearly outplayed Lynch in every facet of the game thus far. His name will have nothing to do with him winning OROY, if he does in fact win it.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
well said. I agree with mainly everything. The only thing i have trouble with is how you said Eli will probably be only an above average starter. I think he is one step up, as a good starter. Not very good, or great, but good. His stats would've been much better if Plax and Shockey could catch in the 1st half. His decision making has for the most part improved(except that one easy INT he threw while falling down). The OL for the Giants was pretty bad last night.

I know, I'm kinda nitpicking here :D good job overall

He had 2 int's 1 which was a flat out foolish play and could have easily had 5 more picks if the Skins had DB's who actually looked at the ball, yes he has a live and active arm but his decision making is poor, he thinks he can squeeze anything into any pocket.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Peterson has clearly outplayed Lynch in every facet of the game thus far. His name will have nothing to do with him winning OROY, if he does in fact win it.

He has? That's news to me. Considering that AD has a better offensive line to run behind and such. But, hey, that's just me.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Lynch: 57 228 4.0
2TDs 5 36 7.2 21 0 --

Peterson:
64 271 4.2
1TD 8 160 20.0 60T 1 1 1
Outperformed is definitely a reach.

Shiver
09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I think Peterson is the better player now and I think he'll have the better career, but I certainly wouldn't say he's "clearly outperformed" Marshawn Lynch.

Geo
09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Excellent and enjoyable as usual, Shiv.

Lynch and Peterson are flat-out studs, I'm surprised how much of the load these guys are carrying already.

Moses
09-24-2007, 06:33 PM
http://i24.tinypic.com/dx1qix.gif

Statistically, Peterson is ahead right now if you only count rushing. Once you look at receiving, it's a pretty big gap. Plus, Peterson has looked better from what I have seen of both of them on the field. I couldn't come up with a single argument in trying to say that Lynch has been better thus far.

JK17
09-24-2007, 06:41 PM
The only thing I would disagree with right now on the Chargers is that it was a mistake to get rid of Marty, and that Weddle sucks. Bringing in Norv may have been a mistake, but Marty had to go, IMO. And Weddle I just think its to early to judge him. But the rest, I won't debate, we look horrible.

Xenos
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Fall of the Chargers

What a colossal mistake this franchise made when they got rid of Marty Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv Turner. I understand trying the ‘01/’02 Bucs strategy, but you have to replace your incumbent with someone who is capable of, you know, winning. Before the season I pondered that perhaps, just maybe, Norv Turner never had the talent to succeed. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and the Chargers are underachieving across the board. Philip Rivers finally got his act together and looked great, Antonio Gates may just be having his best season as a pro, and the run defense looks very good. Other than that it has been a disastrous season. The O-Line somehow regressed as Tomlinson has seen very little daylight. Last year he was getting to the second level on a consistent basis, this year he’s dodging defensive players in the backfield. I’m convinced he will back get on track. I cannot say the same thing about the secondary. AJ Smith has invested a lot in Antonio Cromartie, Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Eric Weddle and Marlon McCree and they stink.

Agree on all except the Jammer. He played well yesterday and showed once again why he was our most consistent corner. He just doesn't have the big time skills to take it to the next level like Bailey or Mathis. If anything, Cottrell needs to take a cue and let him play to his strength and let him be physical with his receivers as well as let him play a tighter man coverage.

Oh and they should have gotten rid of Marty earlier. Maybe then they could have gone with AJ's first choice and promoted Wade to HC.

One last thing, as well as Rivers played yesterday, he still stares down his targets too much. Plus, he tends to concentrate on just one guy instead of going through his progressions.

Freddy G
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Where is the Kellen Winslow love (in general, not attacking Shiver, just need a place to post)? Guy has been unstoppable this year. Anybody who has watched the Browns this year knows. His blocking has improved (better OL helps as well) and finally seems close to being healthy. As he says "My 90% is better than everyone else's best", and if you don't believe that you haven't a clue. In terms of how our offense is run, we are basically using the Chargers offense and K2 is our Gates. So far he has proved he is on that level...maybe more.

I know people like to hate on K2, that's cool, go ahead. But you cannot deny what the guy can do and has done. Dude's a ******* soldier!

Pretty sure i am not being a homer here (not trying to overhype, just raise awarness), but i will go ahead and use my homer rant of the week card anyway this on this one.

Right now:
1. Gates
2. K2
3. Jason Witten

Sniper
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Brain Westbrook is Jesus. That's all for today

JK17
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Agree on all except the Jammer. He played well yesterday and showed once again why he was our most consistent corner. He just doesn't have the big time skills to take it to the next level like Bailey or Mathis. If anything, Cottrell needs to take a cue and let him play to his strength and let him be physical with his receivers as well as let him play a tighter man coverage.

Oh and they should have gotten rid of Marty earlier. Maybe then they could have gone with AJ's first choice and promoted Wade to HC.

QJ has been alright this year. He looked good at points, and looked god awful against NE. But just okay. He's our most consistent but your right. He'll never be a Bailey or a Mathis.

yo123
09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
http://i24.tinypic.com/dx1qix.gif

Statistically, Peterson is ahead right now if you only count rushing. Once you look at receiving, it's a pretty big gap. Plus, Peterson has looked better from what I have seen of both of them on the field. I couldn't come up with a single argument in trying to say that Lynch has been better thus far.

Not to mention that Lynch is very, very ugly.

GB12
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
The only thing I would disagree with right now on the Chargers is that it was a mistake to get rid of Marty, and that Weddle sucks. Bringing in Norv may have been a mistake, but Marty had to go, IMO. And Weddle I just think its to early to judge him. But the rest, I won't debate, we look horrible.
There was a chick a couple rows ahead of me wearing a Weddle jersey, I found that very odd.

Unfortunately the only thing that prevents me from calling them a legitimate NFC contender is their lack of a running game
We still have not had Morency healthy yet. Brandon Jackson was never meant to carry the full load, infact I'm pretty sure Morency would have been the starter. Hopefully when we get him back that'll allow us to run more. Not saying we'll have a strong running game, but it should be better than 57 yards a game then.

P-L
09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Johnson got injured yesterday.

Back bruise. He's not expected to miss anymore time, and will almost certainly play next week.

AlexDown
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Has Pennington's play this year not convinced you yet Shiver?

Shiver
09-24-2007, 07:13 PM
They have practically the same team as the 14-2 team. They've made very few changes and either half their team regressed individually or more likely they're not a prepared football team.

Ewing
09-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I think what really hurts Leinart is that he's too emotional. After the Rose Bowl rather than taking it like a man and saying "They beat us and I have nothing but respect for Texas" he acted like a child and said "We're still the better team". He even revealed in an interview with S.I. that he gets very upset when things don't go right and he's furious after losses. He's simply not a emotinally mature quarterback. Maybe that can change but until it does he'll just be average.

P-L
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
why do people still think the chargers are one of the most talented teams in the nfl? what have they done this year to show any part of that? this is NOT all coaching problems. their o-line can't block. that's not just because norv sucks. it's also because their line can't block. their secondary has been weak. that's not because of norv, that's because it's a weak secondary. they have never had a WR corps outside of gates. i just don't get why people are still clinging to the notion that, as of right now, that team is anything more than exactly what they've looked like.

I'm still trying to figure out how they were "easily" the most talented team in the NFL, before the season started.

JK17
09-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how they were "easily" the most talented team in the NFL, before the season started.

I know a lot of people said that they were easily the most talented team in the league. I didn't but I thought, and still do, we belong in the conversation. We have a very talented RB, QB, TE, O-Line, D-Line, and OLB's. The problem is the O-Line isn't playing up to that talent. That can mean they don't have it or they are playing bad, so there are a lot of question marks there. And the other problem is we don't have any talent in the secondary, which is where teams are killing us. We have some good talent, but we're not playing up to it. At all.

Xenos
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
QJ has been alright this year. He looked good at points, and looked god awful against NE. But just okay. He's our most consistent but your right. He'll never be a Bailey or a Mathis.
In that game, like the Greenbay game, there was no pressure whatsoever. The biggest difference was that Cottrell actually let Jammer be more physical with his receivers and allowed him to play a tighter man to man. I think once again coaching adjustments and sometimes plain stupidity hurt our team.

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm not sold on Ronnie Brown finally coming out. He always has flashes, and it's usually against the Jets.

bearsfan_51
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
and in all honesty, that team was largely dependant on the phenomenal success of a rookie LT who played out of his mind and an offensive line unit as a whole that played, imo, far better than they actually are.

*shrug*

i think you're seeing the real chargers talent right now. not a losing team, but a team unlikely to be better than 9-7.
I agree they will likely only win 9-10 games, but that'll be enough for the AFC West. It's a two team division, and the Broncos aren't very good either.

CC.SD
09-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Reports of the charger's death have been greatly exaggerated. They are 1 game back in their division, O Noes! The offense finally started to get back on track last week, now it's time for the defense to get their rhythm again.

If they beat KC at home, and the Broncos lose to Indy (2 projections I'll openly make.) then Broncos and Chargers head into week 5 tied and playing each other for the division lead.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I think what really hurts Leinart is that he's too emotional. After the Rose Bowl rather than taking it like a man and saying "They beat us and I have nothing but respect for Texas" he acted like a child and said "We're still the better team". He even revealed in an interview with S.I. that he gets very upset when things don't go right and he's furious after losses. He's simply not a emotinally mature quarterback. Maybe that can change but until it does he'll just be average.

That and his awful arm, Cutler will be the best QB from the draft class, VY will be the most exciting/popular and win more league awards. As for the rest of the QB's from the draft class I'd rank them in what I think they will do in their careers like this:

-Kellen Clemens
-Brody Croyle
-Matt Leinart
-Tavaris Jackson

JK17
09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
not that any part of that makes the chargers anywhere near as good as advertised.

I hope no one tries arguing SD is as good as advertised. It's not time to panic (although it sure is getting there), and the division is crappy enough we can win it still, but that doesn't mean we'll live up to expectations.

JETS5128
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm not sold on Ronnie Brown finally coming out. He always has flashes, and it's usually against the Jets.

As someone who has watched him have flashes against the Jets, i can tell you that yesterday was by far the best he's played, he was out of his mind.

Yung Flippa
09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
You should also noticed that Yamo Figurs is a better return man, then Ted Ginn Jr. (2 Round Difference)

benchod
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Changing of the Guard

Fall of the Chargers

What a colossal mistake this franchise made when they got rid of Marty Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv Turner. I understand trying the 01/02 Bucs strategy, but you have to replace your incumbent with someone who is capable of, you know, winning. Before the season I pondered that perhaps, just maybe, Norv Turner never had the talent to succeed. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and the Chargers are underachieving across the board. Philip Rivers finally got his act together and looked great, Antonio Gates may just be having his best season as a pro, and the run defense looks very good. Other than that it has been a disastrous season. The O-Line somehow regressed as Tomlinson has seen very little daylight. Last year he was getting to the second level on a consistent basis, this year hes dodging defensive players in the backfield. Im convinced he will back get on track. I cannot say the same thing about the secondary. AJ Smith has invested a lot in Antonio Cromartie, Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Eric Weddle and Marlon McCree and they stink.

Matt Leinart = bust?

Anyone that has been here since before the 06 draft should know that I have never, ever liked Matt Leinart as an NFL prospect. I thought he would be a bust on the next level. He lacked the arm strength to make throws that an NFL QB has to be able to make; the 18-yard post, the 15-yard out, etc. He played on an all-star college team, with receivers that caught anything in their vicinity. He had an O-Line that was full of 1st and 2nd round talents like Baker, Kalil, Justice, Lutui. He had Bush and White in the backfield. When I found out that Matt Leinart was pulled for Kurt Warner that was a sign that I had been right in my convictions. Kurt Warner looked much better than Leinart, even against a stout Ravens defense. Sure Whisenhunt denied that this had any meaning; that being said, the last time I heard those statements were when Kubiak pulled David Carr from a game and watched Sage Rosenfels outperform Carr. He had a decent game last week against Seattle, but has two dud games out of three. I think its clear that Jay Cutler and Vince Young were better prospects and will be better NFL players.

A couple of things mainly.

When the Bucs replaced Dungy, they kept a few key coordinators, most notably, Kiffin. The Chargers lost both, and its important to note how different their defense is this year. They don't play the traditional 3-4 that you would see from Belichik or Parcells, Wade Phillips had a different style and the difference this year is staggering.

As for Leinart, Michael Smith on ESPN reported that Warner was going to be part of the game plan regardless of Leinart's performance. His report stated that they felt Warner would've executed the no-huddle offense better than Leinart, so they gameplanned for the QB's to be rotated.

While Leinart's performance was awful, (an understatement), this was the supposed gameplan. He seems to have regressed slightly this year, but theres still plenty of time for him to recover and get back on track to be a productive QB. After all, he's still better than Rex.

soybean
09-24-2007, 09:54 PM
That and his awful arm, Cutler will be the best QB from the draft class, VY will be the most exciting/popular and win more league awards. As for the rest of the QB's from the draft class I'd rank them in what I think they will do in their careers like this:

-Kellen Clemens
-Brody Croyle
-Matt Leinart
-Tavaris Jackson

the arm strength isn't even the worst of his problems. The footwork is what is driving the coaches crazy.

BlindSite
09-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Calling leinart a bust before his 10th NFL start and playing against the league's best defense is quite literally ********...

Dam8610
09-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Tampa Bays Division to Lose

I thought that Jeff Garcia would stabilize the offense. I thought the O-Line would improve. I did not expect the Tampa Bay defense to be playing as well as they have. The young players have played very well and theyve shut down New Orleans and St Louis in consecutive weeks. Barrett Rudd has more than replaced Shelton Quarles, hes an improvement. What works in their favor is New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina are flawed teams.

And the trend of NFC South division winners continues? The trend (that being the last place finisher from the previous year wins the division the following year) was the only reason I picked the Buccaneers to win the division. Maybe there's actually something to this?

AFC Dark Horse

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be a very scary team in the play-offs. They are 3-0 and I think they are clearly the best team in the AFC North. They have balance on offense and a terrific defense. All anyone in the media ever talks about is Indianapolis and New England. Im not picking Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl, but they have a chance to beat one of those teams. They have a team that can win in the post-season and no one should overlook them.

They've looked very impressive thus far, but have faced the Browns, Bills, and 49ers thus far. I don't doubt they're a good team, but beating a quality opponent would be far more convincing to me.

TitleTown088
09-25-2007, 03:35 AM
The Packers don't need Randy Moss to do well, Driver, Jennings, and James Jones seems to be working great. If Koren Robinson can come back and play well they will have one of the better receiving groups in the league. The thing the Packers need is a freaking running game. However, I think the running game problem has been over exaggerated a tad. It sure isn't good and the Packers really need it to develope , but agianst the Giants and Chargers there was no need to run the rock when Favre was tearing their defense to shreds. It will be similar this Sunday agianst the Queens too.

Caddy
09-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Tampa Bays Division to Lose

I thought that Jeff Garcia would stabilize the offense. I thought the O-Line would improve. I did not expect the Tampa Bay defense to be playing as well as they have. The young players have played very well and theyve shut down New Orleans and St Louis in consecutive weeks. Barrett Rudd has more than replaced Shelton Quarles, hes an improvement. What works in their favor is New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina are flawed teams.

Arrgh, one of the many posts referring to Barrett Ruud as Barrett Rudd.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna disagree with you on Eli. Outside that one boneheaded pick, which was essentially a punt on 3rd and long, he played very well.

He had 7 drops by my count, is playing with a hurt shoulder, and with a horrible defense. I know drops are part of the game, but 7 is a bit much. Our pass to run ratio is 2:1. And our oline did not block well all game.

I think his main problem right now is, he's trying to force things. He's trying to do too much. He can't win the game all by himself, and sometimes he's trying to do that. Its understandable, we have to basically outscore all of our opponents with this defense, but sometimes he has to learn how to just take the sack, and not force a boneheaded pick instead. Put it on your oline Eli, don't do something stupid and direct the blame on yourself.

Eli Manning is the least of my concerns as a Giants fan. I have no worries with him, he'll be fine.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I also think that Jason Campbell, at this point in his development, is overrated on this board.

The AFC South is slowly becoming the best division in football. And Vince Young is the real deal. I thought he'd be a bust, boy was I wrong. I'll eat crow for that one.

Whats overlooked on the Titans is how good their dline is. That dline is no joke. They're playing very well. Especially Haynesworth.

Contrarily, NO's oline has been putrid thus far. And Sean Payton thinks real football is Madden. The Sean Payton Giants fans and Cowboys fans knew very well is coming out of the woodwork right now. Although I do expect him to eventually turn it around.

Addict
09-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I also think that Jason Campbell, at this point in his development, is overrated on this board.

The AFC South is slowly becoming the best division in football. And Vince Young is the real deal. I thought he'd be a bust, boy was I wrong. I'll eat crow for that one.

Whats overlooked on the Titans is how good their dline is. That dline is no joke. They're playing very well. Especially Haynesworth.

Contrarily, NO's oline has been putrid thus far. And Sean Payton thinks real football is Madden. The Sean Payton Giants fans and Cowboys fans knew very well is coming out of the woodwork right now. Although I do expect him to eventually turn it around.

I said the same hing. So therefore:

http://www.tricons.com/NFLForum/images/EatCrow.gif

(Unless he totally bombs it in the next 13 weeks)

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
At least people can man up about Vince, it surely wasnt like he didnt have his doubts coming out, but i do think the team he went to helped out alot...im not sure how things would of worked out in Houston for him, but having Norm Chow is a nice benefit, and Fisher as a headcoach even more so...

It really be scary to see what Vince can do with some real weapons

Geo
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
The Titans having and keeping Norm Chow is huge. To have quality, consistent coaching is invaluable, especially for a young quarterback. I can't stress it enough imo.

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
The Titans having and keeping Norm Chow is huge. To have quality, consistent coaching is invaluable, especially for a young quarterback. I can't stress it enough imo.

Yea you could just ask Alex Smith

bored of education
09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
The Chiefs D has progressed. Derrick Johnson is all over the place, Napoleon Harris isin't getting pwned. Donnie Edwards is proving he still has it. JAllen in 2 games has had 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 pass deflections and a FF. The defense as a whole is comming together and looking NOT LIKE TERD

soybean
09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Warner also looked extremely cool in the pocket. I think that was a huge difference between him and leinart against the ravens.

bsaza2358
09-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Warner makes very quick decisions. He also knows how to play the hurry-up. Even though he is the backup, he knows how to play football, and he has always had a quick and accurate release. Throwing to Boldin and Fitz, he should have had success.

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 02:51 PM
once teams prepare for Warner he also fumbles 4 times a game, so quickly how we all forget...he didnt look this good last yr to start the year, you mean to tell me he got better in one offseason of getting older at his age?

If Warner did start, he would go back to looking old and slow and fumbling the ball around every chance

Shiver
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
MNF Analysis:

Saints

What a disaster. I really don't know what else to say at this point. Drew Brees has gone from NFL M.V.P contender to a TD/INT ratio of 1:7. His yards per attempt numbers are likewise atrocious. I've always said about Brees is he needs a strong running game to mask his deficiencies and now that the Saints can't run the ball he's being exposed. McAllister has never truly been healthy this season and it has shown in his running style. Now that he's torn two ACLs in three seasons, at his age, I can't imagine his career continuing. Reggie Bush will now be called on to be the feature back, something that a lot of people have doubted that he could do dating back to college.

The defense is terrible, but I always thought they were going to be so no surprise there.

Titans

The Titans have been a pleasant surprise. Before the season no one really knew what to expect out of their receivers, running backs or defensive backs. Hence a lot of people didn't predict that they'd do well, myself included. However, all of those positions have thus far exceeded expectations. LenDale White looks very good and has put to rest questions about him. They've replaced Pacman Jones adequately. Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones, outside of one crucial drop in the Colts game, have looked solid. Most impressive of all is the maturation process of Vince Young. He has truly elevated his game as a true NFL QB.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
i never thought norm chow would be able to help vince as much as he has. i don't think, for instance, vince would've thrived in denver's offense the way that he has in tennessee, for instance. not to take anything away from the fact he's much better than i thought he'd be.

Norm Chow is an incredible developer of qb talent. His resume is almost as impressive as Mike Holmgren's. Its a shame he hasn't been offered any HC jobs yet.

09-25-2007, 06:25 PM

I always thought VY would do well, just not so soon. He's above average as a QB right now, but I thought he'd be finishing his third year by the time that happened. He is being utilized really well, too. Not having to throw too much, letting the running game do it's magic, and when necessary, run for the yards he needs.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Well it don't help when the playcalling is dumb as crap. Run on first and 2nd down and expect Jason to be money on 3rd down. He gets one shot per drive to make it happen, a QB has no rhythm that way, the defense knows our plays before we do them.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I tried mentioning everything I thought was wrong with the Saints in my Week 3 Thoughts write-up.

Good write-up as usual, Shiv.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Well it don't help when the playcalling is dumb as crap. Run on first and 2nd down and expect Jason to be money on 3rd down. He gets one shot per drive to make it happen, a QB has no rhythm that way, the defense knows our plays before we do them.

He was missing open guys though. There were a couple of plays, where he had guys wide open against our pathetic coverage, and he just missed em.

And I don't like his release that much. Its kinda long. Not Leftwich long, but still he needs to learn to snap it out quicker.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I always thought VY would do well, just not so soon. He's above average as a QB right now, but I thought he'd be finishing his third year by the time that happened. He is being utilized really well, too. Not having to throw too much, letting the running game do it's magic, and when necessary, run for the yards he needs.

Which leads me to a point i have been saying forever. Wide receivers are overrated. A qb's best friend isn't a go to wide receiver. Its a great oline, and great run game.

Those 2 factors are more beneficial to a qb than skill position targets.

7-11
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
AFC South getting some credit, how refreshing

Geo
09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
For me, the biggest problem with the Saints is the offensive line. It's not only struggling in pass protection but committing penalties as well, which kills an offense, and the run-blocking isn't faring much better. That's a clear recipe for three and outs, lack of scoring drives, and turnovers. Such a situation severely limits the ability of the other players on offense, however skilled, to succeed.

The defensive line ... look, the defensive line or the entire defense itself isn't going to stomp people, you know? They're not. They aren't built that way, or I should say they aren't there yet. But if the team can get a lead, that can make them more effective and make them more opportunistic.

The Saints offense needs to put more points on the board. We saw signs of improvement last night, they came back to take a 14-10 lead and were driving past the 50 when they were down 14-17, but Laboy beat the right tackle Stinchcomb (who has been struggling this season, see above) for a forced fumble and recovery which changed the game thereafter.

soybean
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Norm Chow is an incredible developer of qb talent. His resume is almost as impressive as Mike Holmgren's. Its a shame he hasn't been offered any HC jobs yet.

well he's been considered, i heard he's just a horrible interviewee.

bigbluedefense
09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
i disagree one one point: a guy doesn't necessarily need a stud wr, but he needs someone with reliable hands. i think philip rivers, however good he may be, would've looked significantly worse if one had traded gates for bubba franks, for instance, last season, in spite of having the best running back and an o-line that was playing very well together. *shrug*

thats true. well put. but theres lots of guys out there with reliable hands.

I guess a better way of saying it is, you can have Fitz and Boldin, but with no oline, it doesn't mean jack. Conversely, you can have John Doe1 and John Doe2 at WR (Philly) and still have a formidable passing attack with a stud RB and oline.

09-25-2007, 07:41 PM

I meant to touch on this earlier, but forgot. So, I think I first used the term "madden coaching" last week about these guys. It might really be true. Think about it. Your stud 2nd overall RB is, for some reason, touchdownless through 2 games. Instead of doing something smarter and handing it to someone better fitted for that, you give it to him bunch of times at the 1. Same thing that he did last night. First time, didn't get it, second time, dropped an open pass, third time, finally got it. Or when you wanna go deep on 4th and short, for the hell of it. Like he did. I am absolutely 100% convinced he is a Madden coach.

The Unseen
09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
I meant to touch on this earlier, but forgot. So, I think I first used the term "madden coaching" last week about these guys. It might really be true. Think about it. Your stud 2nd overall RB is, for some reason, touchdownless through 2 games. Instead of doing something smarter and handing it to someone better fitted for that, you give it to him bunch of times at the 1. Same thing that he did last night. First time, didn't get it, second time, dropped an open pass, third time, finally got it. Or when you wanna go deep on 4th and short, for the hell of it. Like he did. I am absolutely 100% convinced he is a Madden coach.

I get that feeling alot right now on my Madden fantasy team, because for some goofy/awesome reason I drafted MJD and Adrian Peterson. I also drafted Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe. Heh.

(BTW, my QB is Jay Culter)

PoopSandwich
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Where is the Kellen Winslow love

I have enough respect for K2 that it makes up for anyone else on the board :)

09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I get that feeling alot right now on my Madden fantasy team, because for some goofy/awesome reason I drafted MJD and Adrian Peterson. I also drafted Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe. Heh.

(BTW, my QB is Jay Culter)

Sick. In my 07 franchise, I had Cutler, Javon Walker, CJ, Limas Sweed, Tatum Bell(who ran for nearly 2000 the year before) and AD. That was tough getting them all stats. CJ had like 12 TDs, Walker was only decent, AD won MVP, Cutler did pretty well I think, and Bell I hardly ever gave it to. I got rid of Walker and Bell the next year, but added Ted Ginn. With Ginn, he has like 20 catches through the first half for 9 TDs, mostly all deep balls, so I tried to get him the ball short more often one game, the result: 4 INTs by Cutler. That was Madden Coaching at it's finest.

PoopSandwich
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't play madden any more because I hated 08, but in 07 I had a season where Winslow was averaging well over 200 yards receiving per game, that was fun when the tight end was so overpowered.

Xenos
09-25-2007, 11:41 PM
MNF Analysis:

Saints

What a disaster. I really don't know what else to say at this point. Drew Brees has gone from NFL M.V.P contender to a TD/INT ratio of 1:7. His yards per attempt numbers are likewise atrocious. I've always said about Brees is he needs a strong running game to mask his deficiencies and now that the Saints can't run the ball he's being exposed. McAllister has never truly been healthy this season and it has shown in his running style. Now that he's torn two ACLs in three seasons, at his age, I can't imagine his career continuing. Reggie Bush will now be called on to be the feature back, something that a lot of people have doubted that he could do dating back to college.

The defense is terrible, but I always thought they were going to be so no surprise there.
[U]

It's the odd years man. Brees always does bad or below expectation during odd years: 2003, 2005, and now 2007.

SuperMcGee
09-25-2007, 11:52 PM
It's the odd years man. Brees always does bad or below expectation during odd years: 2003, 2005, and now 2007.

More commonly known as Eric Moulds Syndrome

Xenos
09-26-2007, 12:06 AM
More commonly known as Eric Moulds Syndrome

Eric Moulds played well last year?

Ewing
09-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Calling leinart a bust before his 10th NFL start and playing against the league's best defense is quite literally ********...

Compared to the other two quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2006 he's clearly been the worst despite having the best weapons around him.

7-11
09-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Compared to the other two quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2006 he's clearly been the worst despite having the best weapons around him.

If i were a young QB in the NFL i'd much rather be playing for the Broncos or Titans over the Cardinals.

Titans with the great looking line and solid running game and the Broncos with the great run game and pretty solid receiving core beats out a sorry ass franchise with a dodgy line any day

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2007, 01:35 AM
If i were a young QB in the NFL i'd much rather be playing for the Broncos or Titans over the Cardinals.

isnt hindsight a wonderful thing

and lets just act like the Cardinals are trash now...arguably the best 3 man wr rotation in the NFL, a boasted O line, rejuvated Edge, great new HC, and a nasty defense that has finally showed up this year...what young qb would want that on their team :rolleyes:

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Oh and heres a quick week 3 thought...anyone else here think that LJ saw this type of year coming, so he knew it was better to holdout and not play until he got his money, because if he didnt have his contract already, he would NEVER EVER sniff that type of money again after this start

bigbluedefense
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Going for it on 4th down, at that position of the field, that early in the game....thats pure Madden coaching. Especially the playcall. That was horrible.

I think a potential major problem for them is, teams had a whole offseason to break down his passing scheme. Now they have an answer for it, and Payton doesn't have a counter. That could be a serious issue if its not corrected.

BlindSite
09-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Going for it on 4th down, at that position of the field, that early in the game....thats pure Madden coaching. Especially the playcall. That was horrible.

I think a potential major problem for them is, teams had a whole offseason to break down his passing scheme. Now they have an answer for it, and Payton doesn't have a counter. That could be a serious issue if its not corrected.

Second year coaches always seem to struggle a little bit adjusting once teams have 16, or in their case, 18 games to sift through in the offseason.

Sniper
09-27-2007, 09:44 AM

and lets just act like the Cardinals are trash now...arguably the best 3 man wr rotation in the NFL, a boasted O line, rejuvated Edge, great new HC, and a nasty defense that has finally showed up this year...what young qb would want that on their team :rolleyes:

Boasted O-line??????????????????????????????????????????

SuperMcGee
09-27-2007, 11:48 AM

It loses its effect when players become irrelevant.

Shiver
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM

How do we know Whisenhunt is a "great new HC"? Did any of you see what Ben Roethlisberger said about him? He ripped him badly.

"We were so predictable -- run on first, run on second, throw on third-and-long -- and that killed us," Roethlisberger told USA Today Sports Weekly in training camp. "Last year, if we took a shot downfield and it was incomplete -- or, heaven forbid, intercepted -- we weren't throwing it again for a long time. And since we knew we were only throwing 15-20 times, we were so careful with doing this and that. "It will be nice to know that Bruce isn't going to handcuff us."

"I know what Matt's going through," Roethlisberger answered, laughing.

I don't think it's coincidence that Ben is having his best season as a pro and becoming a top flight QB without Whisenhunt.

Shiver
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM

"Leinart = bust?" is not calling him a bust. If I called him a bust I would have put it: "Matt Leinart is a bust." Examine those two titles and tell me there isn't a big difference. That being said I think Leinart will be the worst out of all the '06 first round class and I actually like Kellen Clemens better than him.

Jughead10
09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
How do we know Whisenhunt is a "great new HC"? Did any of you see what Ben Roethlisberger said about him? He ripped him badly.

I don't think it's coincidence that Ben is having his best season as a pro and becoming a top flight QB without Whisenhunt.

I dont think it's a coincidence that Ben is having his best season as a pro when he has played the Browns, Bills, and 49ers. Also he just loves making in excuses when he has bad games or seasons.

LonghornsLegend
09-27-2007, 04:12 PM

but my point was in response to someone saying that "the cardinals would be the worst spot to go for a young qb and they would rather go to tennessee"

which brings me to the point "hindsight", during draft time nearly everyone on this board said he had the best fit having the best weapons, probably the smartest rb in teh game and best blocker, and they brought in russ grimm for the o line, drafted an o lineman in the top 10, and have a new headcoach...

how many people do you think honestly would say they would rather be playing for the titans as a young qb this past off season over the cards?? but since a few games have played out, now everyone acts like the titans are a well balanced team and the team to be playing on...when everyone was pretty much in agreement that leinart had the best weapons around him, and the cards are really not bad this yr, their defense is much improved, and O line is MUCH improved over last yr, and yes that means boasted O line...

i dont think its a coincidence Edge looks like he's 5 years younger this year and actually has holes to run through...

so I would have to say, with the overall improvements of this team, id say whisenhunt is a great new coach compared to denny green, has the defense playing alot better although they are most teh same players, o line playing better, edge playing better, and actually show a fight to win the game in the 4th qt

7-11
09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
but my point was in response to someone saying that "the cardinals would be the worst spot to go for a young qb and they would rather go to tennessee"

which brings me to the point "hindsight", during draft time nearly everyone on this board said he had the best fit having the best weapons, probably the smartest rb in teh game and best blocker, and they brought in russ grimm for the o line, drafted an o lineman in the top 10, and have a new headcoach...

how many people do you think honestly would say they would rather be playing for the titans as a young qb this past off season over the cards?? but since a few games have played out, now everyone acts like the titans are a well balanced team and the team to be playing on...when everyone was pretty much in agreement that leinart had the best weapons around him, and the cards are really not bad this yr, their defense is much improved, and O line is MUCH improved over last yr, and yes that means boasted O line...

i dont think its a coincidence Edge looks like he's 5 years younger this year and actually has holes to run through...

so I would have to say, with the overall improvements of this team, id say whisenhunt is a great new coach compared to denny green, has the defense playing alot better although they are most teh same players, o line playing better, edge playing better, and actually show a fight to win the game in the 4th qt

I guess i just value good coaching and a good line over skill position weapons when the development of a young QB is being considered. And it is very hard to argue that the Cards are better then the Broncos and Titans in that regard.

And one thing, don't give me the hindsight is good thing bit, I've seen the Titans for a while now (being a colts fan) and it was plain to see that their position wasn't as dire as everyone made out

LonghornsLegend
09-28-2007, 05:44 PM
And one thing, don't give me the hindsight is good thing bit, I've seen the Titans for a while now (being a colts fan) and it was plain to see that their position wasn't as dire as everyone made out

Well I gues its too bad that the only people who saw it that way were Titans fans around here, so not only did they think they would be horrible, it would be even crazier if someone said it would be better for a young qb to go to the titans then the cards, i stand by that firmly...i dont think one person would of said anything like that, and being around here during draft time I cant remember a soul who looked at it that way, thus everyone was raving about how good it was for cutler and leinart going into that position and having the best weapons and scenario around them...

And like I said about the O line, the cards line is not horrible, obviously if youve watched Edge play...or maybe he just didnt work out last yr and trained really hard this year...Their line is nothing like it was last yr, and is far from being the worst in the league...

BlindSite
09-28-2007, 06:36 PM
"Leinart = bust?" is not calling him a bust. If I called him a bust I would have put it: "Matt Leinart is a bust." Examine those two titles and tell me there isn't a big difference. That being said I think Leinart will be the worst out of all the '06 first round class and I actually like Kellen Clemens better than him.

He still doesn't have an anywhere decent offensive line, his receivers are good sure, but he still doesn't get consistent blocking.

Bills2083
09-28-2007, 08:26 PM

The Eric Moulds syndrom (in Buffalo)

someone447
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Oh and heres a quick week 3 thought...anyone else here think that LJ saw this type of year coming, so he knew it was better to holdout and not play until he got his money, because if he didnt have his contract already, he would NEVER EVER sniff that type of money again after this start

Don't count him out yet. When Barry Sanders rushed for 2k yards he had 53 yards through 2 games, he ended up with 2053