PDA

View Full Version : Diabsoule's Week 3 Thoughts

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Week 3 Thoughts

So far 3 weeks have gone by and while some things remain what people thought they would be, some things have definitely changed. I decided to write down my Week 3 thoughts after following my two favorite teams through this week, the Saints and Steelers.

Quick Thoughts
Matt Schaub is becoming the quarterback the Texans thought they had in David Carr: The Texans were ridiculed for trading a 1st round pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub but now it seems that the Texans got the better end of the deal. Schaub is playing very solidly in Houston and Atlanta is left without Michael Vick and stuck with either Joey Harrington or Byron Leftwich, whichever they choose to play since Harrington does not look good. Schaub kept Houston close to Indianapolis this week and they ended up losing by six, and did that without their best receiver and a depleted secondary. While I doubt Schaub will become an elite quarterback, he will be a solid second-tier guy and the Texans have finally found their franchise QB.

Fountain of youth found in Green Bay? So far Brett Favre is having one of the best seasons he has ever had and it is coming without a running game and hardly any big name receivers aside from Donald Driver. One thing that Green Bay's game against San Diego showed me is that Green Bay has stepped up to be one of the better teams in the NFC and San Diego has taken a free fall with the departure of Marty Schottenheimer and Wade Phillips. I am calling it now, the Packers are making the playoffs.

This is Eli Manning's year.: Everybody has been waiting for when Eli Manning will finally develop into the quarterback the Giants thought they drafted (kinda) in 2004. Each year he has teased fans of the New York football Giants but this year he seems like he has finally got it together. He's playing with a hurt shoulder and really does not have many targets to throw to yet is still getting it done. It seems like he has finally got it together and is looking good.

Jason Campbell is the next Doug Williams.: I don't know what it is but I really like Jason Campbell. I like his pocket presence, I like his arm, and I like his demeanor. He plays smart and does not make many stupid mistakes. He's the game manager that the Redskins need. He will begin to develop more once Joe Gibbs and his man crush on Mark Brunell departs the Capitol City. Hopefully for 'Skins fans, this will be Gibbs last year as the NFL has clearly passed him by. His future lies in watching cars race as fast as they can around a circular track.

New England is winning the Super Bowl. “They are who we thought they were... Go ahead and crown their ass.” After seeing how they have just demolished everyone they have gone against I do not see how anyone can think any differently. Their only challenges, it seems, lay in the AFC and that will be either Pittsburgh or Indianapolis. Their first true test as a team comes Week 6 against Dallas. Whoever the Pats face in the Super Bowl will be blown out. The only way they will be stopped is with a few season ending injuries to key players, which the only person I see that happening to is Dante Stallworth. You might as well as go ahead and crown them.

The Big 3 – LT, LJ, and Steven Jackson – are not fantasy studs this year. While that is a Cpt. Obvious statement if someone would have told me that LT and Steven Jackson would not have been racking up fantasy points I would have told them give themselves a swirly. However, all three of the big 3 running backs are playing worse than Brittney Spears VMA performance. I do not think LT will continue putting up dismal stats but I am not so sure about LJ or Jackson.

Conference Thoughts

AFC

The AFC East, other than the New England Patriots, is a combined 1-8 and that is only because the NY Jets and Miami Dolphins faced each other this week and someone had to win. That's pathetic. Miami is a mess. Buffalo got bit on the behind by the injury bug. The Jets have some talent. They have either the poor man's Reggie Bush or Reggie Bush is the poor man's Leon Washington, I haven't decided yet. One thing is for certain is that Kellen Clemens is the future QB in for the J-E-T-S.

I had Kansas City pegged for one the first pick of the draft but that does not seem to be the case. I still think they will pick in the top 5 and that sometime during this season Larry Johnson is going to have a meltdown of some sorts. I am also expected another quotable Herman Edwards press conference coming up real soon too. Dwayne Bowe is looking like he is going to be the real deal at WR.

It seems that the dubious honor of getting the first pick will go to the fans of Flipper: The Miami Dolphins. That head scratching move of drafting Ted Ginn Jr. with the No. 9 pick in the draft seems to paying off dividends. The defense seems to be aging like wine that wasn't stored properly. Maybe they will draft someone that could actually make an immediate impact on their team this time around. I have a hard time seeing Miami winning a game this year, which I know will happen sometime this year, which more than likely will come Week 16 against New England since the Pats will more than likely play their starters for the first half. Only if Miami had kept Jim Bates on as head coach when they fired Dave Wannstedt.

I was wanting to watch the Oakland-Cleveland game this week to see if last week's Derek Anderson was the real deal or a one game fluke. And what I thought was correct: it was a fluke. Brady Quinn is still going to be the future of the organization. That's all I have to say about that.

Speaking of that debacle of a game, I really like Josh McCown as the quarterback for the Raiders. I don't know why but I do. The Raiders need someone who can move in the pocket and neither Culpepper nor JaMarcus Russell are able to do that very well. Also, it seems that the decision by Al Davis to hire Lane Kiffin is paying off. I like what Lil' Kiffin is doing over in Oakland.

Pittsburgh will win the AFC North. Mike Tomlin is doing a great job in Steeltown and seems to have picked up right where Bill Cowher left off.

The decision to hire Norv Turner to coach the San Diego Chargers is one of the biggest boneheaded moves in the history of the Chargers. Why didn't they just hire Jim Mora if they wanted to throw away this season? I'm thinking Ron Rivera gets the job next year. I doubt the Chargers put up with another year of “Stormin” Norv Turner as head coach. While Turner is a crappy coach, one of the biggest losses the Chargers suffered was the departure of Wade Phillips. Phillips' defense was one of the reasons for the Chargers success the past few years and replacing him with Ted Cottrell was also a boneheaded move. I think the Chargers FO was on a meth binge when they did the hiring this offseason.

What happened to Denver? They used to win most home games and not get blown out. This is not the Denver team I am used to watching. I am sure Mike Shanahan will get this team back in shape.

Jacksonville continues to be an enigma.

I feel sorry for the Buffalo Bills. First it was Kevin Everett, now it's J.P. Losman and Paul Posluszny. I think it's safe to say that they will be picking in the top 10 this year.

NFC

Dallas looks like the team to beat in the NFC. They just demolished the Bears Sunday night. While I do not think the Bears are that bad, nor do I think the Cowboys are that good, Dallas did establish itself as an extremely physical team that will rough up their opponent and then kick them in the butt with their offense. Since I am talking about the Cowboys, Marion Barber is quickly establishing himself as the go-to back. He is vastly outplaying Julius Jones and is just the better runner. Marion “the Barbarian” should be the #1 back with Jones as a change of pace. I also like what Wade Phillips is doing with that defense, they are playing an extremely physical brand of football that will pop you in the mouth.

I like that the Giants showed that they had a pair in their come from behind to win against the Redskins. Their pass defense still sucks, though.

Something is rotten in the city of Chicago. Rex Grossman is terrible and Lovie Smith is either stubborn or blind or both if he does not see it. While Brian Griese won't demolish the competition, he is a smart QB that won't kill you with dumb mistakes. I know if Grossmen is pulled he will never be put back in but he is too inconsistent and a team as talented as Chicago needs to have a smart QB starting for them. Look at Baltimore when Trent Dilfer was behind center. That is what Chicago needs (not Trent Dilfer but a quarterback like him) and that is what they have in Brian Griese.

Just when you thought things were starting to look up in Motown, Donovan McNabb, with all of pressures put on him because he is a black quarterback, knocks Jon Kitna and Co. back down to Earth. I think Detroit fields an incredible offense but their defense needs a lot of work, especially their secondary where I can't name you a starter off the top of my head since Dre Bly left. The Lions are an improving team and this past Sunday showed that they still have plenty of work left to do.

It seems as Project T-Jack is about to be shut down. Tarvaris Jackson looks terrible as a quarterback. Although Kelly Holcomb will never get any comparisons to John Elway, he is a hell of a lot better than Tarvaris Jackson and should remain as Minnesota's QB for the rest of the season. It will have to be up to Brad Childress to admit if he has made a mistake or not so we'll see how good his pride tastes soon enough when it comes time for him to swallow it. I also think I am the only Mewelde Moore fan on the planet and think he is a pretty good compliment to Adrian Peterson. Not as good as Chester Taylor is but there are worse out there.

What's up with St. Louis? Marc Bulger gets a contract extension and then decides to play like Akili Smith. Steven Jackson is having a hard time running the ball and their defense doesn't look like they would be able to stop a pee-wee football team. Just when I thought things would be looking up in the Show Me State, St. Louis drops a big turd to Tampa Bay and also drops to 0-3.

Who saw this coming from the Bucs? I expected Atlanta to suck hard this year but Tampa Bay looks like the team to beat in the NFC South. Carolina is playing tough football, but I don't think they have the personnel to make it all the way. Could it be that Chucky saves his job this year by taking the Bucs to the playoffs and winning the NFC South? My money says “yes”.

MNF

Tennessee is a team that is worth it's weight in a coach. Jeff Fisher, while the longest tenured head coach in the NFL, is also one of the best coaches in the NFL. He called one of the best games of the season against the Saints and it showed. His team did not give up defensively or offensively. Vince Young and Jay Cutler look like the best QB's out of the 2007 draft class.
New Orleans will pick within the top 10 this year. Their defense is atrocious. Their offensive line sucks. Their receivers, aside from Marques Colston and Lance Moore, couldn't catch a cold. A few quotes by the immortal Jim Mora sum up the Saints in how they have played the last few games:
"We were terrible, absolutely terrible! It was an embarrassing, shameful coaching and playing by the New Orleans Saints. I couldn't be more upset, and those players in there ought to be upset." "We gave it away. We gave them the friggin' game. In my opinion, that sucked. ... We got our ass totally kicked. Holy crap. I don't know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that!" "We couldn't do diddly-pooh offensively. We couldn't make a first down. We didn't run the ball. We didn't try to run the ball. We couldn't complete a pass. We sucked. We sucked. It was a horseass performance in the second half." It just took three quotes from that beloved figure in Saints history to sum up the Saints. I think that is the most Jim Mora quotes ever used in a write-up.
Getting back to the Saints, I thought Kendrick Clancy would help the run defense but not playing him and Hollis Thomas at the same time is a huge coaching mistake. Still having Devery Henderson be the #2 WR is also a coaching mistake. The Saints pass defense is worse than the Giants, which says leaps and bounds. I liked the addition of Jason David but now it looks like I was just as wrong in thinking that as the Saints FO was in signing him away from the Colts. David Patten should be the #2 with Lance Moore, who has velcro hands, at the #3. It will be a long season being a fan of the black and gold, and trust me I am that (although a fan of the Steelers as well, which will be explained only through a PM.) The Saints just suck. The only way we will get positive yards is with the pass but our O-line sucks and Brees is having to run for his life every time he drops back to pass much like The Dude ran from the giant pair of scissors in The Big Lebowski. I kind of wish Jim Mora was still coach so at least I would be entertained by the press conferences after the game instead of Sean Payton doing his best Bill Belichick impression. All I have say is this: Jim Mora won head coach of the year his second season, Jim Haslett won it his first season, and so did Sean Payton. Take of it what you will after knowing both previous head coaches histories.
Here's an interesting statistic that compares Haslett and Payton:

2000...went 10-6 (won Coach of the Year)

2006...went 10-6 (won Coach of the Year)

2000...won first playoff game ever

2006...went to NFCCG for first time ever

2001...went 7-9

It hurts to be right: I hated the decision to hire Sean Payton as head coach. And I still hate it now. I wanted Jim Bates and if you look in the Saints thread you will find I am not talking out of hatred for the current Saints head coach or just because I am upset because my team sucks worse than the Raiders did last year. Sean Payton calls too many gimmick plays that go for no to negative yards. He is a poor play caller as his history will attest to. He will go by the way side as many previous Saints head coaches do. I hate being right but this time I really hate being right. I also hated the addition of Robert Meachem and would have prefered Posluzny or Greg Olsen. Although Puz is out for the year and Olsen is in and out of the Bears current line up, either or would have better than Meachem. The Saints front office from last year to this year is night and day. The Saints have more cleaning up to do than Cinderella did in the Disney movie. No doubt entering a bye week 0-3, especially after a heart-breaking loss will do that to you. I have nothing good to say about the organization that I follow more than the Steelers.

comahan
09-25-2007, 12:26 AM
just a small correction, houston traded 07 and 08 2nd roundersfor Schaub, not a first

good writeup though

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 12:30 AM
just a small correction, houston traded 07 and 08 2nd roundersfor Schaub, not a first

good writeup though

I know but I chose only to include what is immediate now and that turns out to be better than what the Falcons got.

Caddy
09-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Who saw this coming from the Bucs? I expected Atlanta to suck hard this year but Tampa Bay looks like the team to beat in the NFC South. Carolina is playing tough football, but I don't think they have the personnel to make it all the way. Could it be that Chucky saves his job this year by taking the Bucs to the playoffs and winning the NFC South? My money says “yes”.

I'm a pretty enthusiastic Buccaneer fan who can sometimes border on homeristic, but even I didn't expect the Buc's to start the season 2-1. I truly expected the Saints to rise to the top of the NFC South for successive years. I guess the whole, first to last, last to first thing is kicking in like it did last season.

comahan
09-25-2007, 12:35 AM
I know but I chose only to include what is immediate now and that turns out to be better than what the Falcons got.

gotcha.

im glad we swapped picks, we got amobi! such a beast :P

anyhoo, continue on and ignore my ramblings.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-25-2007, 12:53 AM
With the first selection in the NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2006/12/17/holiday.bowl/t1_jackson.jpg

The DeSean Jackson Family!!!

seriously though, I am with you on the Jim Bates for head coach bandwagon. He held that Dolphin team together as an interim coach when they were terrible

Also, the Panthers are not playing tough football. They are playing soft football and just lucked into playing the Falcons and Rams

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 01:09 AM
LMAO@desean jackson family

Diabsoule im wondering if you see Brees getting on track at some point this yr how he was last yr, or will it never happen and he look lost all year long

OzTitan
09-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Titans coaching did a good job in all but one area - redzone offense. Some of it is execution, but most of it is play calling. WR end around in the RZ? ummm, ok. To get in the RZ 4 times before half and only score 10 points with a mobile QB and a power back is just bad.

The only redzone play that really worked was that bootleg passing TD. Surprise surprise. Every RZ play should be designed for VY's dual threat, but most were boring predictable rushes between OG and OT, or vanilla passing plays. I just don't understand how you don't try VY in 4 wide shotgun close to the goalline, it's basically a gimme TD.

Auron
09-25-2007, 01:31 AM
[/b]
Diabsoule im wondering if you see Brees getting on track at some point this yr how he was last yr, or will it never happen and he look lost all year long
Unless the O-line magically returns to last years form he's going to have a long season, along with the rest of the team. Defenses just don't respect our Offensive line and are teeing off on him, they're getting pressure most of the time with only 4 down Linemen. The interior is collapsing, so there's no where for Drew to step up in.. and being a shorter QB his field of vision gets disrupted easily when there's pressure right up the middle.

Geo
09-25-2007, 01:38 AM
How did the Saints' defensive line do against the Tampa Bay Bucs' offensive line last week?

Yeah, they didn't do too much today, but the Titans have one of the best offensive lines in the league (and the most underrated). And against the Colts, the offensive line played well and Manning got rid of the ball of course.

So I'm wondering how they did last week, I didn't get to see much of that game. They Saints defense desperately needs the front four to generate pressure, to help mask the pass coverage deficiencies of the back seven.

Addict
09-25-2007, 01:44 AM
great write-up! fun read.

Auron
09-25-2007, 01:54 AM
How did the Saints' defensive line do against the Tampa Bay Bucs' offensive line last week?

Yeah, they didn't do too much today, but the Titans have one of the best offensive lines in the league (and the most underrated). And against the Colts, the offensive line played well and Manning got rid of the ball of course.

So I'm wondering how they did last week, I didn't get to see much of that game. They Saints defense desperately needs the front four to generate pressure, to help mask the pass coverage deficiencies of the back seven.

Pretty much par for the course they couldn't get much pressure on Garcia, and if they did manage to gain the edge they couldn't finish the play. As Garcia did a great job of eluding the rush, and getting the ball out quickly.

There were 2 pretty big plays where I thought our Ends were blatantly held. One play were Will Smith was dragged down after gaining the edge, and another where Charles Grant clearly had his facemask grabbed and shoved to prevent him from getting to Garcia neither of which were called but there's no use going back and crying now.

There's really no phase of the game this team is playing well in, they can't stop the big play passes, can't stop the run, can't wrap up and tackle, can't run the football, can't block, can't stop turning the football over. It's just that kind of a year where everything goes wrong. Last season everything Payton & Brees touched turned to gold, and now all is going to ashes.

BlindSite
09-25-2007, 02:36 AM
I'd wait till next week before I predict anything about the NFC South.

Whomever wins out of the Panthers and Buccs will end up in the NFCCG mark it down.

The NFC South will have 6 years running with a new division champ and a conference championship game.

Geo
09-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Pretty much par for the course they couldn't get much pressure on Garcia, and if they did manage to gain the edge they couldn't finish the play. As Garcia did a great job of eluding the rush, and getting the ball out quickly.
Good point about Garcia's elusiveness and abiity to deliver a ball outside the pocket.

There were 2 pretty big plays where I thought our Ends were blatantly held. One play were Will Smith was dragged down after gaining the edge, and another where Charles Grant clearly had his facemask grabbed and shoved to prevent him from getting to Garcia neither of which were called but there's no use going back and crying now.
From what I've seen, the refs have been abysmal this year in calling holding penalties on offensive lineman (tackles specifically). Dwight Freeney drew his first holding penalty of the year in Week 3, if you can believe that, when the Texans' Salaam nearly tore his head off.

geaux tigers
09-25-2007, 03:09 AM
JR moved pretty well in the pocket while in college. havent seen a minute of PT in the NFL, so let's wait and see what happens before coming to the conclusion that McCown is better suited to be the Raiders starting QB.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 03:10 AM
I'd wait till next week before I predict anything about the NFC South.

Whomever wins out of the Panthers and Buccs will end up in the NFCCG mark it down.

The NFC South will have 6 years running with a new division champ and a conference championship game.
I doubt the Bucs or Panthers will even win a playoff game the way things are going, let alone two.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Also, just to clarify, I'm not sure where people got the idea that Brian Griese isn't turnover prone. Look at his numbers. He can be terribly inconsistant at tiemes. The difference is that he at least knows how to run an NFL offense.

Dam8610
09-25-2007, 03:56 AM
New England is winning the Super Bowl. “They are who we thought they were... Go ahead and crown their ass.” After seeing how they have just demolished everyone they have gone against I do not see how anyone can think any differently. Their only challenges lay in the AFC and that will be either Pittsburgh or Indianapolis. Whoever the Pats face in the Super Bowl will be blown out. The only way they will be stopped is with a few season ending injuries to key players, which the only person I see that happening to is Dante Stallworth. You might as well as go ahead and crown them.

No NFL Title has ever been won in September if memory and history serve correctly, and thus far the Patriots have picked on the same AFC East you go on to rip later in this post, and what appears to be an absolutely terrible pass defense in the San Diego Chargers, whom you also proceed to rip on later in this post. Before "crowning their ass", let's see them face a competent team.

Addict
09-25-2007, 04:52 AM
JR moved pretty well in the pocket while in college. havent seen a minute of PT in the NFL, so let's wait and see what happens before coming to the conclusion that McCown is better suited to be the Raiders starting QB.

I doubt he moves around very well with 276 lbs on his back.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
No NFL Title has ever been won in September if memory and history serve correctly, and thus far the Patriots have picked on the same AFC East you go on to rip later in this post, and what appears to be an absolutely terrible pass defense in the San Diego Chargers, whom you also proceed to rip on later in this post. Before "crowning their ass", let's see them face a competent team.

You're right. I have never seen a September Super Bowl but with the way the Pats are playing, they look like the best team in football right now. They only have a few tests on their schedule and those are Week 6 against Dallas, Week 9 against Indianapolis, Week 12 against Philadelphia, Week 13 against Baltimore, and Week 14 against Pittsburgh. So, out of a 16 game schedule they get tested 5 times. I don't know about you but those are pretty good odds.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 06:59 AM

JaMarcus Russell moved around in the pocket well in college. Let's let that sink in a little bit. He also had a great offensive line in college too. He will have the Raiders offensive line protecting him which doesn't give the quarterback much time. They need a quarterback who can at least roll or scramble, which McCown can and Culpepper, with his surgically repaired knee and Russell with his 275 pounds can't do very well.

yodabear
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
With the first selection in the NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2006/12/17/holiday.bowl/t1_jackson.jpg

The DeSean Jackson Family!!!

seriously though, I am with you on the Jim Bates for head coach bandwagon. He held that Dolphin team together as an interim coach when they were terrible

Also, the Panthers are not playing tough football. They are playing soft football and just lucked into playing the Falcons and Rams

And the Bucs had the Saints and Rams. diabsoule, what is up with our football teams, that Saints-Rams game will be worse than the special olympics.

Wyndham
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
It seems like he has finally got it together and is looking good.

I'm not overly impressed.

He's still throwing awful interceptions.

I had Kansas City pegged for one of if not the first pick of the draft and that does not seem to be the case. I still think they will pick in the top 5 and that sometime during this season Larry Johnson is going to have a meltdown of some sorts. Dwayne Bowe is looking like he is going to be the real deal at WR.

You still think they're going to have a top-5 pick, but "it's not the case" that they'll have the #1 pick or close to it? Hmph.

Anyway, I wish you were right, but I don't believe you are. I think KC will find a way to win just enough games to have a pick no better than #8, #9 or so, just missing out on a guy like Andre Woodson. It sucks, but it will probably happen. KC's worst season in 20 years is 6-10, and this team isn't as bad as some of those within that timeframe.

NIN1984
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
JaMarcus Russell’s mobility is somewhat underrated. He didn’t run for a whole lot of yards in college because he is a throw first run 2nd kind of QB. He has great movement in the pocket bouncing from left to right. This is why Lane Kiffin drafted him he is perfect for this offense.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
And the Bucs had the Saints and Rams. diabsoule, what is up with our football teams, that Saints-Rams game will be worse than the special olympics.

I don't know, man. i wish I did. Maybe we're a part of the "Hire-An-Idiot-For-Coach" Foundation and we didn't know.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 08:00 AM
LMAO@desean jackson family

Not this year. When Brees decides to stay in the pocket he has at the most two seconds before a defensive linemen is in his face. If he decided to scramble or roll right he's then forced to throw on the run which is not his best attribute as a QB. A buddy of mine commented that he looked like Archie Manning when he's behind center because he looks scared for his life. I don't think I could have summed it up better than that. One thing I would like to add is that it is hard for a quarterback to look good when his receivers drop balls constantly. I'm speaking about Devery Henderson mostly but Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister had a bit of the dropsies last night too.

What has me puzzled is how the Saints offensive line looks completely different than it did last year. I guess being the #1 offense will have teams studying your every move and it seems that every coach in the league did his homework. Our offensive line just can't protect. Jammal Brown can't handle a speed rush, Jon Stinchcomb looks like he couldn't block a wet rag, and Jamar Nesbit seems to be thinking more about what he's going to eat for dinner than what his blocking assignment is. The only person who seems to play well is Jahri Evans. During training camp I was hoping they would move Jahri Evans over to left guard and put Andy Alleman at right guard, or just put Andy Alleman at left guard but Sean Payton, that offensive guru, obviously knows more than I do so we're stuck having one of the worst starting guards in the league still in the starting line-up.

bored of education
09-25-2007, 08:06 AM
KC will pick no worse than 3rd!!!!!!!!!

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM

I'll make my mind up on that by Week 5.

yodabear
09-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know, man. i wish I did. Maybe we're a part of the "Hire-An-Idiot-For-Coach" Foundation and we didn't know.

U guys at least get to re-group this week with the bye, we have to play the NFC champion to be Cowboys.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
U guys at least get to re-group this week with the bye, we have to play the NFC champion to be Cowboys.

It's not going to help that you guys are missing Mark Setterstrom (I think that's how his last name is spelled), Orlando Pace, and Steven Jackson when you go against them.

Plus, I don't think any amount of regrouping is going to help the Saints.

soybean
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
NFL live had a perfect explanation for the saints struggles. Basically, along with the oline performing horribly, the play calling is extremely predictable. They would run the play action but they wouldn't sell it; the titans knew where the ball was going. When they would throw the ball to the flats, the titans were all over bush, stecker, etc. because they were expecting it.

The saints also basically abandoned the running game, if they just ran the ball 25+ times then their passing wouldn't struggle. Also if the oline played more consistently they can get the most out of deuce and reggie. Take for example the 4th? and 1 on the goal line for a touchdown. Bush skated through the line, imagine if that was 4th and 1 from the 50, that would have easily been a touchdown too because the saint's oline dominated the titans dline on that play and bush basically blew past everyone untouched for the easy td.

MaxV
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM

What do you consider worse? Picking 2nd or picking 4th?

yodabear
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
It's not going to help that you guys are missing Mark Setterstrom (I think that's how his last name is spelled), Orlando Pace, and Steven Jackson when you go against them.

Plus, I don't think any amount of regrouping is going to help the Saints.

We maybe without Bulger too........although, that maybe good for us like the Saints losing David.

ShutDwn
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Did you honestly think Buffalo wouldn't be picking in the top ten this year?

Vikes99ej
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with the Mewelde Moore part. He is extremely vital to our offense, now that Chester Taylor is injured.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Did you honestly think Buffalo wouldn't be picking in the top ten this year?

I was expecting some good things from Buffalo. Going into the season I did not think between 7-9 to 9-7 would have been out of the question.

yodabear
09-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I was expecting some good things from Buffalo. Going into the season I did not think between 7-9 to 9-7 would have been out of the question.

Yeah, I thought that too, but then I saw there schedule on Inside the NFL, when I actually had the NFL Network, and went yeah, um, it will be rough.

Geo
09-25-2007, 07:02 PM
My long-rooted affection for the Bills and the city of Buffalo notwithstanding, I curbed my enthusiasm for the Bills before the season because of their young defense. The incredible wrath of injuries that they've already suffered certainly hasn't helped any, that's for sure.

AlexDown
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Someone pull up Pennington's numbers from this year.

Dam8610
09-26-2007, 12:31 AM
You're right. I have never seen a September Super Bowl but with the way the Pats are playing, they look like the best team in football right now. They only have a few tests on their schedule and those are Week 6 against Dallas, Week 9 against Indianapolis, Week 12 against Philadelphia, Week 13 against Baltimore, and Week 14 against Pittsburgh. So, out of a 16 game schedule they get tested 5 times. I don't know about you but those are pretty good odds.

...To make the playoffs, then they must face the best the AFC has to offer in a single elimination tournament to determine who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl. Trust me, as a Colts fan I know that a team can be the most dominant in the NFL, and all it takes is a few bad breaks in one game to be sitting at home watching in February.

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Not this year. When Brees decides to stay in the pocket he has at the most two seconds before a defensive linemen is in his face. If he decided to scramble or roll right he's then forced to throw on the run which is not his best attribute as a QB. A buddy of mine commented that he looked like Archie Manning when he's behind center because he looks scared for his life. I don't think I could have summed it up better than that. One thing I would like to add is that it is hard for a quarterback to look good when his receivers drop balls constantly. I'm speaking about Devery Henderson mostly but Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister had a bit of the dropsies last night too.

What has me puzzled is how the Saints offensive line looks completely different than it did last year. I guess being the #1 offense will have teams studying your every move and it seems that every coach in the league did his homework. Our offensive line just can't protect. Jammal Brown can't handle a speed rush, Jon Stinchcomb looks like he couldn't block a wet rag, and Jamar Nesbit seems to be thinking more about what he's going to eat for dinner than what his blocking assignment is. The only person who seems to play well is Jahri Evans. During training camp I was hoping they would move Jahri Evans over to left guard and put Andy Alleman at right guard, or just put Andy Alleman at left guard but Sean Payton, that offensive guru, obviously knows more than I do so we're stuck having one of the worst starting guards in the league still in the starting line-up.

you know whats even more confusing? how come Brees was looking so good in the pre-season? I mean wasnt his completion percentage like 90% at one time, i coulda swore he was like 36-39 either total or towards the end and rarely throwing an incompletion...I find it hard to believe you forget how to play qb in that amount of time, so either the play calling is changing too much, or the O line isnt giving him time

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 02:56 AM
...To make the playoffs, then they must face the best the AFC has to offer in a single elimination tournament to determine who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl. Trust me, as a Colts fan I know that a team can be the most dominant in the NFL, and all it takes is a few bad breaks in one game to be sitting at home watching in February.

Are you serious? I knew teams with good records made it to the playoffs but you mean to tell me that "the best the AFC has to offer play in a single elimination tournament to determine who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl"? Is that what you're telling me? Wow. And this whole time I thought I knew what was going on in football. Thank you Dam8610 for opening my eyes. My football life had been a lie up until you came along. I thank you. Words can not express my appreciation for you and what you have shown me. This is just amazing.

The reason I said what I did about the Patriots is because they look that good. If the Cowboys, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, or Eagles beat them, and beat them convincingly then I might change my tune. Until then, I remain convinced that New England is the team to beat.

Dam8610
09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you serious? I knew teams with good records made it to the playoffs but you mean to tell me that "the best the AFC has to offer play in a single elimination tournament to determine who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl"? Is that what you're telling me? Wow. And this whole time I thought I knew what was going on in football. Thank you Dam8610 for opening my eyes. My football life had been a lie up until you came along. I thank you. Words can not express my appreciation for you and what you have shown me. This is just amazing.

The reason I said what I did about the Patriots is because they look that good. If the Cowboys, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, or Eagles beat them, and beat them convincingly then I might change my tune. Until then, I remain convinced that New England is the team to beat.

And thank you, diabsoule, for regailing us all with your snide sarcastic remarks while simultaneously completely missing the point of my post. My point is they could very well easily roll through the regular season, never actually facing any sort of real adversity. Then, when the postseason rolls around, they're in a game where they have a couple bad breaks, and all of a sudden, they're down 2+ scores in the 4th quarter, and the next thing they know, they're sitting at home watching the rest of the playoffs. I know it can happen, because I've witnessed it. As for the Patriots being the team to beat now, I'd like to see them face a team with a legit pass defense before proclaiming that. Maybe you're ready to proclaim them the World Champions after they've beaten 3 teams that have combined for a grand total of 2 wins, but they have a long way to go and much greater challenges to face before they'll get anywhere close to being that.

yourfavestoner
09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
you know whats even more confusing? how come Brees was looking so good in the pre-season? I mean wasnt his completion percentage like 90% at one time, i coulda swore he was like 36-39 either total or towards the end and rarely throwing an incompletion...I find it hard to believe you forget how to play qb in that amount of time, so either the play calling is changing too much, or the O line isnt giving him time

The Saints' problem is that they've gotten way too cute on offense. Too much window dressing.

Xenos
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
The Saints' problem is that they've gotten way too cute on offense. Too much window dressing.

That and the oline is a mess.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
He should run them through drills to increase their PBK and RBK ratings.

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with Sean Payton's play-calling. He goes with too many gimmick plays and never just cuts the crap and goes with some knock you in the mouth football.

Moses
09-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with Sean Payton's play-calling. He goes with too many gimmick plays and never just cuts the crap and goes with some knock you in the mouth football.

It's hard to play knock you in the mouth football when your line is playing that poorly. The Titans made a mockery of them.

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 05:40 PM
It's hard to play knock you in the mouth football when your line is playing that poorly. The Titans made a mockery of them.

I know it is. I don't know what the problem is with our offensive line. Jammal Brown keeps getting owned by speed rushers going on the outside. Jamar Nesbit just sucks and Andy Alleman or Jahri Evans needs to replace him as LG. Jeff Faine looks like he did in Cleveland. Jahri Evans looks good. The only person on the O-line that is playing well. Jon Stinchcomb needs to be replaced by Zach Strief because he looks like crap.

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 05:45 PM
And thank you, diabsoule, for regailing us all with your snide sarcastic remarks while simultaneously completely missing the point of my post. My point is they could very well easily roll through the regular season, never actually facing any sort of real adversity. Then, when the postseason rolls around, they're in a game where they have a couple bad breaks, and all of a sudden, they're down 2+ scores in the 4th quarter, and the next thing they know, they're sitting at home watching the rest of the playoffs. I know it can happen, because I've witnessed it. As for the Patriots being the team to beat now, I'd like to see them face a team with a legit pass defense before proclaiming that. Maybe you're ready to proclaim them the World Champions after they've beaten 3 teams that have combined for a grand total of 2 wins, but they have a long way to go and much greater challenges to face before they'll get anywhere close to being that.

The reply given to you would not have been so snide or sarcastic if your replies would have taken into consideration that I knew more about football than a wet rag. I know that it only takes one playoff game for them to stumble and then they are gone. After watching their game against a good SD team, and seeing the Pats just demolish the Chargers, it convinced of how good they were going to be. I called the Pats winning the Super Bowl this year at the beginning of the season and I stick to that.

Dam8610
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
The reply given to you would not have been so snide or sarcastic if your replies would have taken into consideration that I knew more about football than a wet rag. I know that it only takes one playoff game for them to stumble and then they are gone. After watching their game against a good SD team, and seeing the Pats just demolish the Chargers, it convinced of how good they were going to be. I called the Pats winning the Super Bowl this year at the beginning of the season and I stick to that.

Who said you didn't know more about football than a wet rag? Nothing about my post was meant to insult, I was simply trying to make my point, which I still had to reiterate to get a reply.

San Diego has yet to prove they're good, considering they've beaten a team with no offense to speak of thus far, and have been beaten by two teams with good passing offenses, which, at this point, clearly appears to be their weakness. That leaves the Jets and Bills, both of whom have shown thus far that they are mediocre to bad teams, and both of which have yet to prove they have even a mediocre defense. So, really, what have the Patriots proven? That they can demolish mediocre to bad teams? Well, that's great, but good teams do that, so I don't see how that makes them unquestionably the best team in the league, and worthy of being crowned Super Bowl Champions in Week 3 when there are still four other teams that are also undefeated. By December, almost every team in the NFL will look different from how it looks now, and even then we'll only know who the favorite to win it all is.

P-L
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Who said you didn't know more about football than a wet rag? Nothing about my post was meant to insult, I was simply trying to make my point, which I still had to reiterate to get a reply.

San Diego has yet to prove they're good, considering they've beaten a team with no offense to speak of thus far, and have been beaten by two teams with good passing offenses, which, at this point, clearly appears to be their weakness. That leaves the Jets and Bills, both of whom have shown thus far that they are mediocre to bad teams, and both of which have yet to prove they have even a mediocre defense. So, really, what have the Patriots proven? That they can demolish mediocre to bad teams? Well, that's great, but good teams do that, so I don't see how that makes them unquestionably the best team in the league, and worthy of being crowned Super Bowl Champions in Week 3 when there are still four other teams that are also undefeated. By December, almost every team in the NFL will look different from how it looks now, and even then we'll only know who the favorite to win it all is.

What have any of the top teams proven? The Steelers beat the Browns, Bills, and 49ers. Those are bad teams, unless you want to consider San Francisco below average. The Colts beat New Orleans, Tennessee, and Houston. The records of Tennessee and Houston are impressive, but how good they are is still in question. Two of those four teams' wins have come against New Orleans and Kansas City. Jacksonville and Carolina wins aren't anything to write home about either. The Cowboys beat the Giants, Dolphins, and a Bears team that has been very unimpressive this year. The Packers have beaten the Giants and Chargers. Their only "test" was against the Eagles, in which they need two botched punts and a last second FG to win. It's three weeks into the season. None of the top teams have really proven very much, if anything.

I don't understand your original post either. He shouldn't name the Patriots his Super Bowl favorite because they could have a few bad plays go against them and lose a game in the playoffs? What prevents the exact same thing from happening to the Steelers, Colts, Cowboys, and Packers? Nothing, you admitted it happened to the Colts before. That can happen to any team. Should we stop making predictions because a certain team might lose in the playoffs? He basically just said that in his opinion, the Patriots are the team to beat. And I would bet that he is in the majority with that belief.

I just don't get what your deal is with him making a prediction. How is it any different from a preseason prediction? At least three weeks into the season he has something to base it on, and not nothing like in the preseason. Many people had the Pats as their Super Bowl favorites in the preseason, and they've played better than a lot of people expected so far.

Dam8610
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
What have any of the top teams proven? The Steelers beat the Browns, Bills, and 49ers. Those are bad teams, unless you want to consider San Francisco below average. The Colts beat New Orleans, Tennessee, and Houston. The records of Tennessee and Houston are impressive, but how good they are is still in question. Two of those four teams' wins have come against New Orleans and Kansas City. Jacksonville and Carolina wins aren't anything to write home about either. The Cowboys beat the Giants, Dolphins, and a Bears team that has been very unimpressive this year. The Packers have beaten the Giants and Chargers. Their only "test" was against the Eagles, in which they need two botched punts and a last second FG to win. It's three weeks into the season. None of the top teams have really proven very much, if anything.

I don't understand your original post either. He shouldn't name the Patriots his Super Bowl favorite because they could have a few bad plays go against them and lose a game in the playoffs? What prevents the exact same thing from happening to the Steelers, Colts, Cowboys, and Packers? Nothing, you admitted it happened to the Colts before. That can happen to any team. Should we stop making predictions because a certain team might lose in the playoffs? He basically just said that in his opinion, the Patriots are the team to beat. And I would bet that he is in the majority with that belief.

I just don't get what your deal is with him making a prediction. How is it any different from a preseason prediction? At least three weeks into the season he has something to base it on, and not nothing like in the preseason. Many people had the Pats as their Super Bowl favorites in the preseason, and they've played better than a lot of people expected so far.

If it was just a prediction, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. Read what he said. In fact, I'll quote it for you:

New England is winning the Super Bowl. “They are who we thought they were... Go ahead and crown their ass.” After seeing how they have just demolished everyone they have gone against I do not see how anyone can think any differently. Their only challenges, it seems, lay in the AFC and that will be either Pittsburgh or Indianapolis. Their first true test as a team comes Week 6 against Dallas. Whoever the Pats face in the Super Bowl will be blown out. The only way they will be stopped is with a few season ending injuries to key players, which the only person I see that happening to is Dante Stallworth. You might as well as go ahead and crown them.

Looks more like a guarantee than a prediction to me. That is what I'm taking issue with. We're three whole weeks into the season, no one can be at that much of a distinct advantage at this point. I especially take issue with the bolded lines.

Geo
09-26-2007, 10:33 PM
The Patriots look like the best team in the league. The season is very young. The end.

Hopefully we can move on ...

I know it is. I don't know what the problem is with our offensive line. Jammal Brown keeps getting owned by speed rushers going on the outside. Jamar Nesbit just sucks and Andy Alleman or Jahri Evans needs to replace him as LG. Jeff Faine looks like he did in Cleveland. Jahri Evans looks good. The only person on the O-line that is playing well. Jon Stinchcomb needs to be replaced by Zach Strief because he looks like crap.
Peter King on Inside the NFL, who attended the MNF game and spent time with Sean Payton on Tuesday for an interview to be aired next week, indicated that he wouldn't be surprised if Payton shook up the offensive line some. King pointed out how Brees was pressured on 22 of his first 28 dropbacks, if I recall the figure correctly.

HoopsDemon12
09-26-2007, 10:38 PM
ya top 10... top 5... top 3 is the direction were heading... we got hit hard b injuries to a lot of key players

diabsoule
09-27-2007, 04:49 AM
The Patriots look like the best team in the league. The season is very young. The end.

Hopefully we can move on ...

Peter King on Inside the NFL, who attended the MNF game and spent time with Sean Payton on Tuesday for an interview to be aired next week, indicated that he wouldn't be surprised if Payton shook up the offensive line some. King pointed out how Brees was pressured on 22 of his first 28 dropbacks, if I recall the figure correctly.

It really would surprise me if he did not shake up the offensive line. We have two players who I think can come in and perform just as well, if not better, than the starting offensive guard and the starting right tackle and those players would be Andy Alleman and Zach Strief respectively. Something needs to be done in New Orleans and that right soon.