PDA

View Full Version : So who is the next Brian Westbrook?

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Justin Forsett, Tyrell Sutton, or other (you name the player). I think Sutton is the next Westbrook, but I also see a lot of Westbrook in Forsett as well. What does everyone else think?

Man_Of_Steel
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Ive said Slaton for awhile but it dosent seem to be a popular comparison.

Addict
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
the next third-round pick from a small school who is gonna make it big?

How the hell should I know, he's in a small school!

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
the next third-round pick from a small school who is gonna make it big?

How the hell should I know, he's in a small school!

Doesn't have to be a small school.

Where was Westbrook from? I think Villanova or one of them schools. Not a small school, but not a big football school.

derza222
09-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Where was Westbrook from? I think Villanova or one of them schools. Not a small school, but not a big football school.

Yeah he's a 'Nova grad.

Addict
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Yea Villanova, but I ment small school football-wise?

soybean
09-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Forsett is a small quick rb. I think he's more of a willie parker type running back.

derza222
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Yea Villanova, but I ment small school football-wise?

I think he meant he's looking for the next Westbrook-type player, regardless of school. The Villanova question was a seperate one. I don't know if you're going to find a guy quite like Westbrook because of his versatility and his unique skill set. You're more likely to find someone like, as soybean mentioned, a Willie Parker, than you are a Westbrook. On a side note, Westbrook was unbelievable on Sunday.

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I think he meant he's looking for the next Westbrook-type player, regardless of school. The Villanova question was a seperate one. I don't know if you're going to find a guy quite like Westbrook because of his versatility and his unique skill set. You're more likely to find someone like, as soybean mentioned, a Willie Parker, than you are a Westbrook. On a side note, Westbrook was unbelievable on Sunday.

I think Sutton's got that same type of versatility. I think he had a 1000 yards the last two years, and on top of that had over 80 receptions the last few years. That's pretty Westbrook esque to me. Also has very similar size.

derza222
09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I think Sutton's got that same type of versatility. I think he had a 1000 yards the last two years, and on top of that had over 80 receptions the last few years. That's pretty Westbrook esque to me. Also has very similar size.

I think Westbrook is built a little better, plus I don't think Sutton has the KR aspect in his game. He was able to make up for his lack of size and experience early by sticking as a good return man, and eventually managed to work hard enough to get a starting job, catch some passes and run the ball in an offense that fit him perfectly. Odds are Sutton isn't put in the kind of situation Westbrook was put in where he's able to make the most of that opportunity.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Speaking of small school backs...anyone know anything about this kid, Danny Woodhead? I've known about him for a while but, i'll be honest...i've never seen one of his carries. Anyone here actually see him handle the football before?

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Speaking of small school backs...anyone know anything about this kid, Danny Woodhead? I've known about him for a while but, i'll be honest...i've never seen one of his carries. Anyone here actually see him handle the football before?

I saw those stats. Man oh man. Never seen him play though.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I've read a few stories on him but, have never seen the kid run. Very interesting prospect. Def. looking forward to seeing him workout.

SuperKevin
09-25-2007, 06:37 PM

The bad thing about him is he's only like 5'7" 200 lbs though. He wanted to go to nebraska but they refused to offer him a scholarship because they said 5'7" was too small......they then gave 5'6" Cory Ross a scholarship that same year

neko4
09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Being short is an advantage for RB's.
5'7 200 is close to perfect size, more weight, and maybe another inch or two, but he cant fix his height. Anyway I think RB's should be under 6'1.
Kinda stupid on Nebraska's part though

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Something i did hear about him is that his weight is under that 200lb listed weight...heard it's more like 180.

SuperKevin
09-25-2007, 06:56 PM
He has also been electonically timed at 4.41 by pro scouts. i think he'll at least get a shot in the NFL as a kick returner

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
He has also been electonically timed at 4.41 by pro scouts. i think he'll at least get a shot in the NFL as a kick returner

I'm very interested to see him workout.

SuperKevin
09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm very interested to see him workout.

I think if he shows up to workouts under 200 lbs he better run a 4.41 or put up like 20 reps to prove he's not too small to play in the league

Freddy G
09-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Sutton is the only guy that seems to offer that type of versatility, but Westbrook is a better athlete no matter how you cut it. Faster, quicker (not much difference though), stronger.

Steve Slaton kind of mixes LT and Westbrook IMO. Runs kind of like LT but shows Westbrook like versatility. However, he doesn't display their strength and toughness to run well inside.

etk
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Brian Westbrook is disgusting. None of the prospects mentioned here can even hold his jockstrap or be his personal assistant. End this thread right now.

Michigan
09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Sutton doesn't have nearly the power Westbrook does, and Westbrook doesn't even have that much. Sutton runs wayyy too East and West.

I think LeSean McCoy does a pretty good Westbrook imitation.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Brian Leonard.

Wait a second.....

derza222
09-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Sutton doesn't have nearly the power Westbrook does, and Westbrook doesn't even have that much. Sutton runs wayyy too East and West.

I think LeSean McCoy does a pretty good Westbrook imitation.

That's probably the best one I've seen in here. Like etk said, Westbrook is gross, there are guys with similar skill sets but most of them aren't even close to as talented as he is overall and won't produce nearly as well as him in the pros.

Sniper
09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Steve Slaton Runs kind of like LT

Wait, what???????

Sniper
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Brian Westbrook is disgusting. None of the prospects mentioned here can even hold his jockstrap or be his personal assistant. End this thread right now.

Bless your heart. He's like a tiny football Jesus....on the injury report every damn week, but dominates :)

derza222
09-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Bless your heart. He's like a tiny football Jesus....on the injury report every damn week, but dominates :)

Honestly, going to his alma mater AND being right outside Philly here, I've gained so much appreciation for what an awesome player Westbrook is. I was at the game Sunday, and he was absolutely ridiculous. He has quickly become one of my favorite players in all of football.

no love
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Westbrook is dope. Every year, I manage to get him in FFL and every year he is absolutely sick!

But he also gives me an ulcer with all the stress of him constantly being listed as "questionable"

Travis 24
09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Noel Devine?

scottyboy
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Brian Leonard.

Wait a second.....

there is no comparison to Brian Leonard. nobody is worthy. how dare you

09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
i dont know bout this year but last year there was a guy xactly like brian westbrook drafted in the 3rd round by miami -> lorenzo booker

no love
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
i dont know bout this year but last year there was a guy xactly like brian westbrook drafted in the 3rd round by miami -> lorenzo booker

Which is exactly why ronnie brown is still starting in miami =/

09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Which is exactly why ronnie brown is still starting in miami =/

because miami invested a top 3 pick in ronnie brown and only a 3rd round pick in booker...plus booker is a rookie..if we go by talent i wud rather start booker

no love
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
because miami invested a top 3 pick in ronnie brown and only a 3rd round pick in booker...plus booker is a rookie..if we go by talent i wud rather start booker

So the coach isn't giving miami the best chance to win?

I am just curious, bc at this point I don't see why a coach wouldn't start a guy who is obviously better. I don't know much about the Dolphins staff, I don't know camrons history.

draftguru151
09-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Booker isn't even the #2 back in Miami and you think he should start? Ok then.

toonsterwu
09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
The hardest thing about looking for the next Brian Westbrook is that, well, the first Brian Westbrook was hard to find. I mean, you are talking about a guy who's times were very average. I believe his 40 was in the mid-high 4.5 range, and that his quickness and explosion numbers were good ... but not so good that they stood out. It is really a wonder, in many respects, how good Brian Westbrook turned out relative to when folks were considering the draft back in 2002. It's also probably a testament to the concepts of playing speed being different from any physical testing that can be done, which in turn is probably a testament to the role of "football IQ" and instincts being a very significant aspect. Remember, this was a third round pick we are talking about.

I don't think I see a "Brian Westbrook" in this draft, but as noted, it's hard to find. If I was going to take a random stab at someone in this senior class, it would be Calvin Dawson of University of Lousiana-Monroe. He attacks the interior fairly well for his size (200ish), has enough quickness to the edges, solid hands, and good return ability. Whether or not he gets the opportunity in the NFL would determine whether or not he gets a chance he can be the poor man's Brian Westbrook, but I think the potential is there.

aheineken
09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
I think Rafael Little is the closest player in this draft to Westbrook. He's not quite as quick, but he is similar size, has good agility, and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

BamaFalcon59
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Any back out of FSU since Greg Jones left. Leon Washington (IMO best comparison), Lorenzo Booker, Antone Smith...

mqtirishfan
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Reggie Bush

/2005

PACKmanN
09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Yvenson Bernard could be...