PDA

View Full Version : Griese in, Grossman out

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802abff2&template=with-video&confirm=true

DUN! DUN! DUHHHHHHHH!

Da Bears.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
About time Lovie Smith admits that Grossman sucks.

terribletowel39
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
amen dot dot dot

IndyColtScout
09-25-2007, 04:30 PM
He Was Who We Thought He Was!

soybean
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
why do coaches always feel the need to say "He is our quarterback and we're gonna stick with him" when we all know/knew he was gonna go back on his word. Griese is not the answer.

Diehard
09-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Griese is not the answer.

The Bear haven't had "the answer" at QB for such a long, long time that I'm beginning to suspect they like it that way...

The Unseen
09-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Over/Under 5 games until Kyle Orton murders Brian Griese in his sleep and takes over the starting job?

RyanLeaf#1
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
HAHA..im shocked

SubNoize
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
All the better for sexy rexy he'll be able to pimp all the bitches off the bench now...He totally sabotaged his play to get closer to some cheerleader poon.

SFbear
09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Well Lovie wasn't announcing until tommorrow but Schefter probably got the inside scoop. With his change in rhetoric on Monday it seemed pretty inevitable.

So the question is with Rex's contract up this season who picks him up?

DaBears9654
09-25-2007, 05:30 PM
But is Griese the answer?
I say no. I never have been a fan of his. He has had all of 2 good seasons (and another that, at a PER of 85.6 can be called "decent").

Addict
09-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Griese is not the answer.

it's like a gamequiz.... presented by yours truly and sole contender Lovie Smith
so lovie, the final question, for the fridge... are you ready
- yeah, I was born ready, dawg*
okay, here we go, who is the answer at quarterback for the Chicago Bears?
- ehm.... I have a joker left, right homie?*
yes, you do!
- aaaight, then I'm gonna use that joker and say Sexy Rexy Grossman!*
<BUZZER>
owwww Lovie, good choice on the joker there, that answer is wrong!
- Damn! I thought for sure he was it, man*
okay Lovie, this time it's for real, who is your QB?
- Ehm... dang! ehm... sonuva... aww man I'ma say Brian Griese!*
ehm....
- whoa! not good?
well... judges?
<Image of men fiercely looking for the correct answer>
it seems we have a locked jury! Lovie, we're gonna solve this issue and get back to you next week!
- Aaaight homie, keep it real! I'll c u next week dawg!*

* I know Lovie Smith talks normal english, I just wanted to add a comical note

Tampa 2 4 life
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Griese was good in Tampa, He can be good in Chicago.

Vikes99ej
09-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I want to say this will make the Bears 100X better, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

niel89
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
he is not the answer. kyle orton is:

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolpolltool/sbl-sb-xli-media-day-kyle-orton-peter-schrager
http://www.purdue.edu/jumbo/covers/covers_medium/18_kyle_orton.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/366671043_db6afc6c25.jpg

Legendary beard

Addict
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Kyle Orton looks like some emo kid.

Shiver
09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
One year too late.

Staubach12
09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Thank God. His play was making me sick to my stomach.

Twiddler
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
About time. Not sure that Griese will be that much of an upgrade but I guess anything is worth a shot at this point.

Oh and nice avatar Shiver, was just listening to that this morning...

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-25-2007, 06:29 PM
This should be interesting come draft time.

Addict
09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
About time. Not sure that Griese will be that much of an upgrade but I guess anything is worth a shot at this point.

Hell anything is an upgrade with the way Rex was playing.

DMWSackMachine
09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
If I was the Bears, I would offer Philly two 1sts for McNabb, and make a run at the title.

SFbear
09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
If I was the Bears, I would offer Philly two 1sts for McNabb, and make a run at the title.

Midseason? Im pretty sure the Eagles were counting on McNabb for their own run for the title. If you mean at the end of the season, I think that would be too high of a price for a QB that has seen better days. Were going to need those picks to start replacing the senior citizens on our O-line.

angelsdontkill
09-25-2007, 06:56 PM
After the constant harsh criticism, and now being benched, I think we should put Rexy on suicide watch.

gbpackers0065
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Good move, if anything i think this will make the team a lot more confident in it's offense(granted it is Brian Griese.) I like the move Lovie did though to put him in this week to get comfortable with the offense instead of waiting till the Packers game, although I am in no way concerned about anything the Bears offense will do.

49erfaithful
09-25-2007, 07:06 PM

exactly what i would say

soybean
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
they should trade for kurt warner.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
It's a very good move. Griese won't win you a game, but he won't lose you a game.

Addict
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
It's a very good move. Griese won't win you a game, but he won't lose you a game.

The Rexx0r was an expert at losing what had been won.

#1chiefs_fan
09-25-2007, 08:06 PM
how come they cant give kyle orton a chance, this is a guy just only two years ago managed the bears to a 10-6 season. I think that they should give him look.

SuperKevin
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
So which QB do the bears draft in round 1? Do Brohm or Woodson drop or do they take Colt brennan or Matt Ryan in the middle to end of round 1. Personally I think Matt Ryan is the best fit

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
One year too late.
*scratches head*

Dude we made the Superbowl last year. I mean...yeah maaaaaaaaaaybe we'd have won it with Griese, but I really doubt it. We did about as well as we possibly could have last year, no matter who the QB was.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
So which QB do the bears draft in round 1? Do Brohm or Woodson drop or do they take Colt brennan or Matt Ryan in the middle to end of round 1. Personally I think Matt Ryan is the best fit
If you're asking if they take Ryan or Brennan I'd say that's a no brainer. We already drafted one gimmicky QB in Grossman (granted he had tremendous intangibles but he played for Spurrier).

I would bet my life savings that Jerry Angelo does not draft Colt Brennan. Especially after Grossman blew up in his face. He's far too conservative for that.

terribletowel39
09-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Colt Brennan. just because he is a bad ass. and haven't seen much of Ryan.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
how come they cant give kyle orton a chance, this is a guy just only two years ago managed the bears to a 10-6 season. I think that they should give him look.
It's not out of the question. There were strong indications that Orton was beating out Griese in preseason. I imagine that Brian has about a 6-7 game leash, if we're say...4-6 by week 11, I wouldn't be suprised to see them go to Orton to give it a try for 5-6 games before deciding what to do for next season. It's really hard to judge Orton because he really didn't do anything his rookie season, but then again that was his rookie season.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
it's like a gamequiz.... presented by yours truly and sole contender Lovie Smith

* I know Lovie Smith talks normal english, I just wanted to add a racist note
Fixed it for ya.

soybean
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM

i think maybe woodson, he seems to be able to make more of less.

jballa838
09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
i think maybe woodson, he seems to be able to make more of less.
i dont think he will drop near the bears, who are in about the 18-26 range now and Woodson is top 15 imo at worst as of now

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
i dont think he will drop near the bears, who are in about the 18-26 range now and Woodson is top 15 imo at worst as of now

You mean like Brady Quinn??

And I'd say we're in the 12-20 pick range right now.

jballa838
09-25-2007, 08:37 PM
You mean like Brady Quinn??

And I'd say we're in the 12-20 pick range right now.
You got me on the BQ thing. it also depends how woodson plays in those big conference games. if the bears can find a secondary somehow they will be in the 16-24 range and Woodson will most likely not be there.

GB12
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Rex managed the Bears to a 13-3 record...

jackalope
09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
It's a very good move. Griese won't win you a game, but he won't lose you a game.That's almost exactly what I was gonna say.

I would have preferred them keeping Grossman as the starter, but that's only because I'm a Packer fan.

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Dammit!

I really needed Grossman to help us out on Sunday.

What happens if Griese struggles? Is Orton really the route the franchise wants to go? Or, would Grossman be back in?

GB12
09-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Dammit!

I really needed Grossman to help us out on Sunday.

What happens if Griese struggles? Is Orton really the route the franchise wants to go? Or, would Grossman be back in?

Grossman's done as a Bear. Putting him back in would do them nothing.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
they need a change. they made the SB last year, might as well make that run for the title this year.....not that i think they can win it, but its the best chance they have to win now

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Grossman's done as a Bear. Putting him back in would do them nothing.

Even with how he's played, I think I'd take him over Orton.

bearfan
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I would like to see Orton if our season goes down the drain. Why not take a look at a young QB on the team, and see how he does before you go off and draft a completly new one.

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I would like to see Orton if our season goes down the drain. Why not take a look at a young QB on the team, and see how he does before you go off and draft a completly new one.

If the season goes down the drain completely, I agree. I guess I don't think they'll be that far off...

bearfan
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
If the season goes down the drain completely, I agree. I guess I don't think they'll be that far off...

Still, before drafting a QB, I wanna see what the man can do. I know that the Bears website is supposed to hype up players, but Orton was seriously challenging Griese for his job at #2. I just want to see what a guy who we drafted later in the draft, out of Purdue where he played extremly well can do

sodar21
09-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Orton wasn't good his rookie year but after all he was a rookie. He should get another shot at the starting spot.

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Still, before drafting a QB, I wanna see what the man can do. I know that the Bears website is supposed to hype up players, but Orton was seriously challenging Griese for his job at #2. I just want to see what a guy who we drafted later in the draft, out of Purdue where he played extremly well can do

+ rep for that sig LMAO...wow

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
IMO a rookie QB isn't the answer for the Bears. Putting a young guy under pressure to win now is gonna make him suffer, like Rex did. They should get a veteran if one opens up, maybe McNabb or Bulger or something.

Football Fan
09-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Seriously the bears need to stop screwing around and get a solid veteran quarterback before there team starts to fall apart again. Though I hope they keep going with mediocre or unknowns concidering I am a packer fan.

TitleTown088
09-26-2007, 05:04 AM
IMO a rookie QB isn't the answer for the Bears. Putting a young guy under pressure to win now is gonna make him suffer, like Rex did. They should get a veteran if one opens up, maybe McNabb or Bulger or something.

Bulger just got his contract extended.....

I think McNabb COULD end up playing for oen of two teams in the norris next year...

Good thing Greise is in now, he played spectacular in his action last year.

bigbluedefense
09-26-2007, 09:34 AM
It's not out of the question. There were strong indications that Orton was beating out Griese in preseason. I imagine that Brian has about a 6-7 game leash, if we're say...4-6 by week 11, I wouldn't be suprised to see them go to Orton to give it a try for 5-6 games before deciding what to do for next season. It's really hard to judge Orton because he really didn't do anything his rookie season, but then again that was his rookie season.

Do you realize what you just said? Huh? Just let that sink in....

If you need a hug, I'm here for ya man.

Shiver
09-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Do you realize what you just said? Huh? Just let that sink in....

If you need a hug, I'm here for ya man.

I need a hug worse than he does.

bigbluedefense
09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I need a hug worse than he does.

When someone talks about Kyle Orton potentially starting to see "what he has" going into this upcoming draft, they need hugs much worse than you lol.

VoteLynnSwan
09-26-2007, 11:05 AM
When someone talks about Kyle Orton potentially starting to see "what he has" going into this upcoming draft, they need hugs much worse than you lol.

I don't think you can really judge Kyle Orton based on what he has done. He hasn't been given a chance since his rookie year to play. If Kyle Orton is as bad as you think, then he'll lose a lot of games down the stretch, and we'll be in a better situation to draft a top talent at QB. If he wins games, then we might have something for the future. I realize you're trying to be funny here, but it really wouldn't be a bad idea even if Griese performs well enough but we are out of the playoff race.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Remember when Brian Griese led the league in QB rating... 7 years ago.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Remember when Brian Griese led the league in QB rating... 7 years ago.

at least he did it, which is more than most can say

Jvig43
09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
All i can say is that its about time, after watching sexy rexy play, id put in an o-line men in to play qb.

bigbluedefense
09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't think you can really judge Kyle Orton based on what he has done. He hasn't been given a chance since his rookie year to play. If Kyle Orton is as bad as you think, then he'll lose a lot of games down the stretch, and we'll be in a better situation to draft a top talent at QB. If he wins games, then we might have something for the future. I realize you're trying to be funny here, but it really wouldn't be a bad idea even if Griese performs well enough but we are out of the playoff race.

I just wouldn't put alot of faith into a guy who's the 3rd string qb on the Bears. Especially with his work ethic. Just punch his name in google images and the pics speak for themselves.

A more realistic possibility is hoping that Cullpepper plays well this year and you snatch him via FA, or McNabb comes via FA. Id throw Leftwich in the mix, but I have no faith in him.

Or of course, theres the draft, although Im not a fan of any of these qbs coming out this year. I need to see more on Brohm though, but I don't think its a good qb year this year.

Scar
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
This is like putting a bandaid on a severed arm. Griese is no better than Grossman, plus it does nothing to address the more glaring problems with Benson, all of the receivers, and the sieve of an offensive line. The entire offense is in shambles, not just Rex. They have all lost their scapegoat though, so maybe that will force them all to play better.

bearfan
09-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I just wouldn't put alot of faith into a guy who's the 3rd string qb on the Bears. Especially with his work ethic. Just punch his name in google images and the pics speak for themselves.

A 3rd stringer who won 10 games his rookie year *though managing the offense*. A 3rd stringer who was behind Grossman, and Griese. Griese was a solid starter, and I think his career QB rating was like 86 or something, which is better than any Bear QB in history. A 3rd stringer who was seriously challenging, and looked better than Griese.

I wouldnt call Orton a normal 3rd stringer, especially w/ who he is behind, and his ability as a QB. You bring up his work ethic, but he has worked a lot, and become much much better since his rookie season.

TimD
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
All i can say is that its about time, after watching sexy rexy play, id put in an o-line men in to play qb.

you mean hefty lefty?

someone447
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Just because he is the Lindsay Lohan of NFL QBs doesn't mean he is anywhere near the only one who does it. He is just dumb about how he is going out and getting wasted.

Favre was a HUGE party animal, he turned out alright for the Packers I think.

detknowitall
09-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Well Lovie wasn't announcing until tommorrow but Schefter probably got the inside scoop. With his change in rhetoric on Monday it seemed pretty inevitable.

So the question is with Rex's contract up this season who picks him up?

Who says someone will???

bearsfan_51
09-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm sure that Grossman will start somewhere sometime. Joey Harrington is on his third team as a starter and I'd take Grossman over him.

iowatreat54
09-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Rex was never put into a situation to "win now"...he got hurt in our only other good year, 2003, his rookie year, and the pressure was never on him but on Orton, then we played Grossman for no apparent reason in the last 2 games (where he sucked) and then in the playoffs (where he sucked)...he hasn't played in a meaningful season until last year...IMO we do need a solid veteran QB (not Griese) for immediate success, but I really want us to take a solid rookie prospect this year and plan for 2-3 years from now

DaBears9654
09-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm sure that Grossman will start somewhere sometime. Joey Harrington is on his third team as a starter and I'd take Grossman over him.
Harrington's worse than Grossman, but I would only give Rex 1 >; to go crazy with them would be ... well, I said it earlier in this sentence.

Jvig43
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
id take Harrington over Rex, maybe just my personal opinion, but i hate that guy. Everytime i watch him play, i feel embarressed for the bears fans. Plus my roomate always argues with me that rex grossman is one of the best qbs right now cause he brought his team to a superbowl, i want to kill the kid everytime he tells me that. His favourite thing to say to me is Rex wins games....uh what?

bearsfan_51
09-30-2007, 04:01 PM
It's really like arguing a turd sandwich over a giant douche.

I'll take Grossman because he doesn't play the piano. That and while he was a bust at least he was a cheap bust and not a top 3 bust.

Addict
09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
It's really like arguing a turd sandwich over a giant douche.

I'll take Grossman because he doesn't play the piano. That and while he was a bust at least he was a cheap bust and not a top 3 bust.

gotta love them economicly friendly busts.

ks_perfection
09-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Harrington wasn't brought in as the starter for Miami and Atlant he was brought in as the backup. Once Vick/Culpepper failed he became the starter. The same for Grossman, he might become a backup somewhere but no team will bring him in to be the starter.

bearsfan_51
09-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Harrington wasn't brought in as the starter for Miami and Atlant he was brought in as the backup. Once Vick/Culpepper failed he became the starter. The same for Grossman, he might become a backup somewhere but no team will bring him in to be the starter.
Right. That's what I said (or implied anyway). He'll get another chance at some point in his career. Some people were talking like his NFL career is over. If you're a 1st round QB someone at some point will give you another chance. Even Ryan Leaf got signed by two other teams before he himself chose to retire.

Scar
10-01-2007, 08:49 AM
I haven't read the papers yet this morning, are they still trying to blame Grossman for everything? What's the excuse this time?
The ENTIRE offense is terrible. Plain and simple terrible. Amazing what a year of aging can do to an offensive line. Benson is awful. Are there any receivers without stone hands on this roster, ones they're bothering to play on Sundays anyway? Doesn't matter who they stick out there under center, there's just too many other major problems. Hopefully the media and fans will get that now and not crucify the quarterback alone.

portermvp84
10-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Greise didn't look to bad besides the three picks. He just has to work off some of the rust.

DaBears9654
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Greise didn't look to bad besides the three picks. He just has to work off some of the rust.
I disagree. I think that game's a sign of things to come.

ks_perfection
10-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Alot of his throws besides the picks were way off.