PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gundy

YAYareaRB
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I wanted to get what you guys thought about his press conference yesterday.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

He was referring to an Article that was written by his QB Bobby Reid after Oklahoma State's heroic victory against Texas Tech. Personally, I'll back Mike Gundy for sticking up for his player. He obviously cares about his kids and is passionate about how they feel.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm not on either side.

She should check her sources, he should not be such a giant douche.

I mean...really...."TAKE ME ON!! I'M 40!!!!"

Ok well here's a starter...you're a ******* ****** coach. Your team hasn't beaten anyone since you've taken over and the program is headed nowhere.

Not to mention, as was pointed out elsewhere, it's really easy to say "don't criticize a kid" but it's perfectly fine to endorse the hero-worshiping and special treatment that college athletes get all the time. You don't want to play under pressure? Go to a division three school.

TimD
09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok well here's a starter...you're a ******* ****** coach. Your team hasn't beaten anyone since you've taken over and the program is headed nowhere.

um they did just beat Texas Tech. And last year, in his first year, he beat No. 20 Nebraska and Alabama, plus lost a heartbreak (34-33) to No. 23 Texas A&M... And in his first year he beat No. 13 Texas Tech. So he has beaten a few good programs and played tough against others. I think he's a good coach and OSU will be pretty good in the future...

Finz99
09-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't agree with how the columnist wrote it. She focused way to much on him being a mama's boy, trying to make it seem like he was a sorry excuse for a football player. That he had no toughness in him. I think it was Howard on ESPN that put it best, some of the toughest guys he played with were huge mama's boy. Just because he loves his mom and loves being around her doesn't make him weak. I think she was out of line in the way she wrote it, but that's just one mans opinion.

TimD
09-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah Finz i completely agree. Being a mama's boy isn't necessarily a bad thing for a college athlete when other guys are tied up with serious things, i.e. drugs, cheating, etc.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
um they did just beat Texas Tech. And last year, in his first year, he beat No. 20 Nebraska and Alabama, plus lost a heartbreak (34-33) to No. 23 Texas A&M... And in his first year he beat No. 13 Texas Tech. So he has beaten a few good programs and played tough against others. I think he's a good coach and OSU will be pretty good in the future...

Ummm...they lost to Troy by almost 20 points. Last year they lost to Houston. When you have a record around .500 and your out of schedule conference is against teams like Missouri State, that's not impressive at all.

And Texas Tech sucks.

TimD
09-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Ummm...they lost to Troy by almost 20 points. Last year they lost to Houston. When you have a record around .500 and your out of schedule conference is against teams like Missouri State, that's not impressive at all.

And Texas Tech sucks.

your statement was that he hasn't beaten anyone and i was just saying he's beaten 3 ranked opponents and lost to 1 by 1 in his 2 year (plus 4 games) career. I think the program is on the up swing and in a few years they won't be losing games to Troy and they'll consistently beat ranked teams and be ranked themselves.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
He's beaten two ranked opponents, and Texas Tech sucks. I don't know at what point Texas Tech was ranked last year but they certainly weren't by the end of the year, they needed a miracle just to beat Minnesota, and Minnesota is terrible.

The only impressive win he's had in over a year was the Nebraska game, and Nebraska is infamous the last few years of playing down to their competition (hell they should have lost to Ball State).

Regardless....he didn't need to call a 4 minute press conference to act like a flaming douche.

Finz99
09-26-2007, 12:38 AM
He's beaten two ranked opponents, and Texas Tech sucks. I don't know at what point Texas Tech was ranked last year but they certainly weren't by the end of the year, they needed a miracle just to beat Minnesota, and Minnesota is terrible.

The only impressive win he's had in over a year was the Nebraska game, and Nebraska is infamous the last few years of playing down to their competition (hell they should have lost to Ball State).

Regardless....he didn't need to call a 4 minute press conference to act like a flaming douche.

agreed, I think he definitely could of backed Reid up without flipping out like that, but it was nice seeing him stick up for one of his players. I'd rather that than nothing.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I think it was the wrong time for him to do it. He should have done it during a weekly press conference because all this does is devalue a very big win for them.

And about Gundy being a good coach:

Over 3 seasons he is 13-15 with 7 wins coming from either a Sun Belt team or a D1-AA team... I think that says something.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I love what he did. You dont let someone talk false info about your own players like that. I stand behind him 100%. I have a feeling his team will reach new heights now.

RyanLeaf#1
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I love what he did. You dont let someone talk false info about your own players like that. I stand behind him 100%. I have a feeling his team will reach new heights now.

Im totally with you Gundy did the right thing.... And plus did anyone see what the columnist looked like? Jesus Christ if I was her I would be mad at the world too. Not a pretty site.

Vikes99ej
09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Im totally with you Gundy did the right thing.... And plus did anyone see what the columnist looked like? Jesus Christ if I was her I would be mad at the world too. Not a pretty site.

Yeah, it's no wonder she doesn't have kids.

RyanLeaf#1
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM

HAHAHAHA I couldnt agree more.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 11:46 AM

hahahahahahahahahhahah

bearsfan_51
09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I mean I realize many of you pre-adolescents (or 20-somethings that act like you're 12) pride yourself on your ignorant sexism but because she's slightly overweight she isn't allowed to express her opinion? **** some of you are stupid. I've seen many of you in the post pictures of yourself thread...trust me some of you have no business to talk.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 12:17 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I mean I realize you guys pride yourself on your ignorant sexism but because she's not pretty she isn't allowed to express her opinion? **** some of you are stupid.

I think they were joking.

You need on of there:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y4iCWVG1L._AA280_.jpg

Vikes99ej
09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I mean I realize many of you pre-adolescents (or 20-somethings that act like you're 12) pride yourself on your ignorant sexism but because she's slightly overweight she isn't allowed to express her opinion? **** some of you are stupid. I've seen many of you in the post pictures of yourself thread...trust me some of you have no business to talk.

LOLZ. This made me chuckle.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM

I shouldn't have quoted you so soon. The last part was pretty funny. I agree. I hate sexism, but that is what is here on a sports forum. =D

RyanLeaf#1
09-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Hes a flamming douche because some newspaper writter was talking $hit on one of his players? Wow. That the so-called "flamming douche" personally knows the player unlike the writter. So she just went on assuming and wrote an article that made absolutely no sense. Good for the coach for doing that.

RyanLeaf#1
09-26-2007, 12:33 PM

Ignortant sexism... hahaha listen to you. What did I offend you?

slightlyaraiderfan
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
The "kid" is 21, if he's not old enough to take some criticism, then wtf is he doing playing QB for a major university. He isn't the first player to take some heat, and there have been far worse accusations for other players. Is this blow up because she's female and doesn't "know" what shes talking about?

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Obviously you have no idea on wht a FOOTBALL TEAM is! Its a team. Its a family. When someone is down, the TEAM picks them up. Look at it like a family. Gundy said it right about having kids. What would you do if your son/daughter was being picked on because he/she was fat or a loser? Would you sit there and be like its ok honey, dont worry about it? No you wouldnt, you would go out there and fix the problem, you would talk to the source of the problem.

Gundy was defending is FAMILY. That is what it is. Too many people on this forum think they hve football knowledge, but are no more than arm chair fans. OBviously you havent been part of a team playing or coaching. It is a team, you win as a team and lose as a team. Like I said if one of your brothersis down, pick him up. And that is exactly what Gundy did.

Props to Mike Gundy for what he did!

slightlyaraiderfan
09-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Obviously you have no idea on wht a FOOTBALL TEAM is! Its a team. Its a family. When someone is down, the TEAM picks them up. Look at it like a family. Gundy said it right about having kids. What would you do if your son/daughter was being picked on because he/she was fat or a loser? Would you sit there and be like its ok honey, dont worry about it? No you wouldnt, you would go out there and fix the problem, you would talk to the source of the problem.

Gundy was defending is FAMILY. That is what it is. Too many people on this forum think they hve football knowledge, but are no more than arm chair fans. OBviously you havent been part of a team playing or coaching. It is a team, you win as a team and lose as a team. Like I said if one of your brothersis down, pick him up. And that is exactly what Gundy did.

It's not the first time a college athlete has been criticized....

It also won't be the last. Do you see coaches flipping out every time one of their players get criticized? No, you don't. He could have gone straight to her and talked instead of calling her out in front of the world to see. This one hurt a little bit more because it was a woman talking about one of his "kids".

bwillie26
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
It's not the first time a college athlete has been criticized....

It also won't be the last. Do you see coaches flipping out every time one of their players get criticized? No, you don't. He could have gone straight to her and talked instead of calling her out in front of the world to see. This one hurt a little bit more because it was a woman talking about one of his "kids".

So essentially, you want reporters to not be held accountable in the public while they do the same on an everyday basis? It's one thing to report an opinion piece, it's another to make it completely personal about how a woman has raised her son to be and how it has affected him now, which she essentially did by saying Bobby Reid's mother raised him to be a mommas boy.

It's also another to throw out speculation like this woman did. What you obviously do not realize is that 9/10's of the rumors you will hear from these reporters (even recruiting sites) comes directly from the coaches.

If you want to write an article talking about the flaws in Bobby Reid's game, whether it's his decision making, ability to read a defense, etc., that is one thing. But when you make it personal, that is completely out of bounds and she needed to be put in her place.

Basically, if she is willing to put things like that out in public and even defend it, then she is fair game to be called out in public as well.

It's like the old saying -- if you show no respect, you will get no respect.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190555866

After reading that story, it is an editorial, not a news article. Many things in their are unsubstantiated facts that may have a source, but even if they do she uses language to illustrate her point far beyond that of an ordinary news column. As a journalism student, what she wrote was not very ethical and I am some what upset whenever I see a journalist write the way she did without getting Reid's opinion on the matter.

She was in the fault, but I am still adamant to the fact that it was the wrong place and wrong time for Gundy to say the things he said.

Windy
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM

why do you assume people on this forum haven't been on a team or played football. is it because not all of us have a sig of ourselves?

awfullyquiet
09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
The "kid" is 21, if he's not old enough to take some criticism, then wtf is he doing playing QB for a major university. He isn't the first player to take some heat, and there have been far worse accusations for other players. Is this blow up because she's female and doesn't "know" what shes talking about?

sarf. it really is more than that... i agree with gundy for sticking up with team, i believe that it is a team sport, and the face of the organization should be the coach, especially at the collegiate level, at all times, and at most times, even with negative individual performance, a lot can be attributed to poor coaching. (in the same token, i believe too much is being put on rex grossman, when ron turner is doing a lot of sucking...)

everyone knows the media sucks, some people can be quite silly. and females don't know what they're talking about... duh. but someone obviously blew this up, made mountains out of molehills... is it really right to make someones confidence shake just by constantly attacking them? is that a nice thing to do? is it ok to falsify or embellish details? not in journalism.

TigerBait45
09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm a journalism major and I agree with Gundy. Whether hes right or not is completely unimportant to me. He stood up for his player, which I find really respectable.

Plus, everyone knows Jenni Carlson is an idiot from what I hear.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Million dollar question right here?

Why was this reporter allowed to call out Mike Gundy and Bobby Ried for the whole world to read, yet when Mike Gundy does the same, he gets ridiculed like no tomorrow?

Mike Gundy was not wrong. Other college athletes have taken heat, but they havent been put down and personally attacked like Ried and Gundy were. I compeltely understand why Gundy reacted the way he did, and I think it was fine for him to do so. He stuck up for his players and his family, the same way anyone else would stick up for their family if they were attacked.

yo123
09-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm not on either side.

She should check her sources, he should not be such a giant douche.

I mean...really...."TAKE ME ON!! I'M 40!!!!"

Not to mention, as was pointed out elsewhere, it's really easy to say "don't criticize a kid" but it's perfectly fine to endorse the hero-worshiping and special treatment that college athletes get all the time. You don't want to play under pressure? Go to a division three school.

Thats exactly how i feel. He signed up for this. You have to know when your going to a high profile school that your going to be critiqued and criticized, and you need to deal with it. That being said, for all I know Reid could care less about the article, but either way Gundy just needs to settle down.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 05:52 PM
why do you assume people on this forum haven't been on a team or played football. is it because not all of us have a sig of ourselves?

Judging by the fact that no one understand how a team is a family and how they become ONE, and when one falls they all fall.

Because no one seems to understand especially certain people, I can only assume that they havent been part of a team. Any team I have been on has been so close. We did everythign together. When one got in trouble, we all got introuble and helped him out. We were a family. Some people fail to realize that.

BrownsTown
09-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Judging by the fact that no one understand how a team is a family and how they become ONE, and when one falls they all fall.

Because no one seems to understand especially certain people, I can only assume that they havent been part of a team. Any team I have been on has been so close. We did everythign together. When one got in trouble, we all got introuble and helped him out. We were a family. Some people fail to realize that.

Could you maybe brag just a little bit more?

yo123
09-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Are you pulling all this straight out of Remember the Titans? Yeah, they should be close, but if you want to be a player at a D1 school, especially a BCS conference team, and especially a QUARTERBACK, you need to be able to take some heat, and sure, if Gundy wanted to defend him, fine, I have no problem with that. But going on a 5 minute screaming tirade in front of millions of people.... I can almost gurantee you that Bobby Reid is more embarassed than relieved that someone stood up for him. I mean, if Gundy never did this, how many people would know that Bobby Reid was getting fed chicken by his mom? Before this I had no idea he was ever even benched.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Could you maybe brag just a little bit more?

I aint one to brag. Trust me. I never do it. But noting gets to me more than when I see people come on here and talk the way they do and they have no idea what Gundy was standing for and seem like this was a complete shock.

Im just letting people know what TEAMS are about.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Million dollar question right here?

Why was this reporter allowed to call out Mike Gundy and Bobby Ried for the whole world to read, yet when Mike Gundy does the same, he gets ridiculed like no tomorrow?

Mike Gundy was not wrong. Other college athletes have taken heat, but they havent been put down and personally attacked like Ried and Gundy were. I compeltely understand why Gundy reacted the way he did, and I think it was fine for him to do so. He stuck up for his players and his family, the same way anyone else would stick up for their family if they were attacked.

Are you pulling all this straight out of Remember the Titans? Yeah, they should be close, but if you want to be a player at a D1 school, especially a BCS conference team, and especially a QUARTERBACK, you need to be able to take some heat, and sure, if Gundy wanted to defend him, fine, I have no problem with that. But going on a 5 minute screaming tirade in front of millions of people.... I can almost gurantee you that Bobby Reid is more embarassed than relieved that someone stood up for him. I mean, if Gundy never did this, how many people would know that Bobby Reid was getting fed chicken by his mom? Before this I had no idea he was ever even benched.

You didnt read my previous post.

Where does the author get the privledge of cutting up a player and coach with personal attacks and the coach isnt allowed to defend himself and his QB? I dont understand that part.

If she will go into the public and media and rip people like she did to Gundy and Ried, then by all means Gundy has the right to do the same.

yo123
09-26-2007, 06:07 PM
You didnt read my previous post.

Where does the author get the privledge of cutting up a player and coach with personal attacks and the coach isnt allowed to defend himself and his QB? I dont understand that part.

If she will go into the public and media and rip people like she did to Gundy and Ried, then by all means Gundy has the right to do the same.

Because a law called freedom of the press, and it sounds mean, but she doesnt need to care about his feelings. And did you read my whole post, or just the parts you thought you could use to make the best argument? I said its perfectly fine if he defends Reid, but going on a 5 minute rant yelling at the top of his lungs just wasnt the right move. I'd be willing to bet theres a lot more people that know about his emotional problems now than woulud have without Gundy's little fit. Explain to me why he needs to scream and yell for 5 minutes? Thats the part I dont get.

Billingsley26
09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Because a law called freedom of the press, and it sounds mean, but she doesnt need to care about his feelings. And did you read my whole post, or just the parts you thought you could use to make the best argument? I said its perfectly fine if he defends Reid, but going on a 5 minute rant yelling at the top of his lungs just wasnt the right move. I'd be willing to bet theres a lot more people that know about his emotional problems now than woulud have without Gundy's little fit. Explain to me why he needs to scream and yell for 5 minutes? Thats the part I dont get.

If she has freedom of press, then he has it to. That is how I feel.

Going on a 3 minute tirade was fine with me. He needed to get his point across, and from what is being said on certain sites, this reporter doesnt seem to be respected by many.

In any case, it is a free world, and the reporter chose to express he views doing her thing, while Gundy chose to express his views doing his thing. I dont blamce him. I would have done it too. I think this team will respond to this event, and they will feel the love Gundy has for him if they havent already.

Brent
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
That would be awesome for one of those Coors Light commercials. I copyright the idea for that by the way.

bearsfan_51
09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I aint one to brag. Trust me. I never do it. But noting gets to me more than when I see people come on here and talk the way they do and they have no idea what Gundy was standing for and seem like this was a complete shock.

Im just letting people know what TEAMS are about.
Dude...I played high school football. I played rugby in college. I've been on plenty of teams.

I also, however, have a brain that I like to use once in a while. What you're talking about is group-think mentality. Now if walking around with your peter's in each others asses helps you win more games so be it. Do you masturbate together too? Cause that's what TEAMS do.

My point initially was much more to the effect that he came off like a blathering moron. I don't see how you can listen to that and not think "wow...what a douche". I've seen plenty of coaches stick up for their players, and most of the time I agree, however in this case he took four ******* minutes and went on a tangential rant about basically nothing.

When later pressed, by the way, for what she was actually factually incorrect about the article he stated "I don't have to". This happened twice. If he's a 40 year old MAN, he should ante up and say exactly what she was so wrong about. Otherwise he should shut the **** up and be glad he still has a job.

And...for the record...if my coach is supporting me by telling the national media that I went home and ******* cried, I think I'll go without the support.

bearsfan_51
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Going on a 3 minute tirade was fine with me. He needed to get his point across.

What was his point? Don't write mean things about college football players? How long do you think that'll last?

The only thing he has accomplished is now he's going to go down as that one mediocre coach that whined like a dumbass for 4 minutes.

bearsfan_51
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM

Hahaha......

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
It is ok to support your players, but people now forget that OSU just had won of their better wins in the past 3 years. That is my problem with the tirade.

BerninWI
09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
What does that have to do with anything? I mean I realize many of you pre-
adolescents (or 20-somethings that act like you're 12) pride yourself on your ignorant sexism but because she's slightly overweight she isn't allowed to express her opinion? **** some of you are stupid. I've seen many of you in the post pictures of yourself thread...trust me some of you have no business to talk.

Why are you condoning Carlson painting Reid as a mama's boy, then turning around and calling other poster's sexist for critiquing her looks? She's essentially immasculating him. I've never heard women's sport's players being questioned because they're too much of daddy's girls or mama's girls. Sexism is double standards based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles. Like men expected to be tougher for example? It's a two way street, and women are capable of being sexist. If you don't believe so, that's an inherently sexist point of view. I'm pretty sure men have been critiqued by their looks many times. If she is truly grossly unattractive, it would explain a reason to lash out at men in a derogatory way. I don't find that to be the case, but I'm just saying it wouldn't be completely irrelevant.

yodabear
09-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I am on Mike Gundy's side. I don't think she should have called a 20 year old student a momma's boy. However, Gundy did overreact a bit. However, I do like him coming to the defense of his players.

yo123
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
On an unrelated note I've watched this thing about 5 times and I've laughed each time.

bearsfan_51
09-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Why are you condoning Carlson painting Reid as a mama's boy, then turning around and calling other poster's sexist for critiquing her looks?
I don't believe, at any point, I defended what she said (and in fact even said I didn't take either of their sides). My entire argument is essentially that the head coach came off like a giant douche bag. She could have written...

"Star football player likes white women and chicken"

and the head coach still would have looked like a giant douche with his 4 minute diatribe.

As for the rest of your comments, I of course agree, and don't feel like I said otherwise at any point.

Twiddler
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo_hruby/070927&sportCat=ncf

Average OT LB
09-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't believe, at any point, I defended what she said (and in fact even said I didn't take either of their sides). My entire argument is essentially that the head coach came off like a giant douche bag. She could have written...

"Star football player likes white women and chicken"

and the head coach still would have looked like a giant douche with his 4 minute diatribe.

As for the rest of your comments, I of course agree, and don't feel like I said otherwise at any point.

i sorta agree with you.. he did look like an ass just going nuts much like how a football coach does to his players.. i thought it was a tad disrespectufl to treat the media like children and 'scold' them..

but he was right and im glad he did it..

Buttered toast sonic
10-01-2007, 11:16 PM
its one thing to criticize a professional athlete for being a bad person/mama's boy, bobby reid might not be emotionally ready for ugly women calling him Mama's boy because she was mad someone stole her chicken.