PDA

View Full Version : How good is Aqib Talib?

foozball
09-26-2007, 01:34 AM
I know he has good ball skills, maybe great ball skills, but his speed is below average for the position. How physical is he? Is he limited to zone coverage? Can he move over to safety?

Scott Wright
09-26-2007, 01:45 AM
I am interested to see what his real speed is and that will probably determine just how good of a prospect he is. 4.4's and he's probably a 1st rounder. 4.5's and he's a Day One guy.

DChess
09-26-2007, 02:06 AM
he's similar to aaron ross, but ross is a little faster and talib is a lil better in coverage

JhawkFitness
09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Talib is reported as having run a 4.41 during the 07 spring testing session, his rumored time during the 06 spring testing was 4.38. Of course the school won't verify these times but NFL scouts have said that KU does a good job of getting accurate times.

If I remember right he has scored a touchdown in each of KU's 4 games so far, KU is splitting him out at WR several times per game in certain packages and he has resonded with touchdown catches in 3 of the 4 games.

Here is a video of Talib's 102 yard interception return from this past weekend; http://www2.kusports.com/videos/2007/sep/24/15319/

megansett56BC
09-26-2007, 12:04 PM
didn't they do that a few years ago with some other well-regarded CB prospect and he wound up falling out of the draft? not like i'm saying that talib would fall out of the draft if he plays a lot of WR, but they should make sure that it doesn't become at the expense of his development at CB... then again, i don't watch a lot of KU football so i don't know how they're using him.

ccB
09-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Aqib Talib is my favorite CB prospect in this draft. I'd love for the Ravens to snag him at the end of round 1.

Ward
09-26-2007, 12:10 PM
didn't they do that a few years ago with some other well-regarded CB prospect and he wound up falling out of the draft? not like i'm saying that talib would fall out of the draft if he plays a lot of WR, but they should make sure that it doesn't become at the expense of his development at CB... then again, i don't watch a lot of KU football so i don't know how they're using him.

Charles Gordon might be who you're thinking of.

JhawkFitness
09-26-2007, 12:13 PM

They shuttled Charles Gordon (now a CB with the Vikings) between WR and CB in different seasons before trying to use him as both during his junior year. By the end of that season though he was strictly playing WR. Talib is usually limited to about 4-5 snaps per game on offense. To be honest I think Gordon was hurt the most prior to the draft by his 4.61 40 yard dash time at the combine.

T-RICH49
09-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I wanna see Aqib in Red and Gold.He is a stud.Has great ball skils and is also really good in coverage.If he stays healthy he will be a early 1st RD'er IMHO

WMD
09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles.. but Aqib Talib is gonna be a Lion next year!

Addict
09-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles.. but Aqib Talib is gonna be a Lion next year!

definatley wouldn't disagree if he was picked.

Turtlepower
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
He'll be a Giant in the second. =D

foozball
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
how good of a tackler is he? how physical is he? if he does run in the mid 4.5's, he may have to move to safety because he has the size and ballskills to play there

JhawkFitness
09-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Solid tackler, doesn't shy away from contact. He'll run faster than a mid-4.5.

You might find this article interesting;

Jayhawks debate KU’s fastest
By Ryan Greene (Contact)

Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007

It’s just one-tenth of a second. But Aqib Talib will tell you that it’s quite noticeable.

“You see a 4.3 (40-yard dash) live, it looks crazy, man,” Kansas University’s heralded junior cornerback said. “You can see a 4.4, but if you see a cat run a 4.3, it’s only that one little tenth, but it’s a big difference. You can tell the difference. It just looks so much faster.”

*edited by Admin - please post link to original story and never quote entire article

Don Vito
09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Prospect status aside, he is quite possibly playing like the best DB in college football. Not to mention he is a pretty damn good prospect with great size, above average speed, some hops, elite ball skills, elite hands for a CB, the knack for the big play, versatility, and excellent coverage skills. I say even if he runs in the mid 4.5s he is a top 20 guy.