PDA

View Full Version : *First 2008 Mock*

Number 10
09-29-2007, 05:28 PM
The * will denote underclassmen that I think will declare. I made the order depending on how I think things will end up this season.

1-Buffalo Bills - Glenn Dorsey-DT-LSU...Penetrating DT who seems to be a perfect fit for the Cover 2 scheme, Tommy Harris type player

2-Kansas City Chiefs - Phil Loadholt-OT-Oklahoma*...Top LT prospect I have seen in years, yes, better than Thomas and Ferguson.

TRADE - ATL trades #3 to MIN for #6 and MIN's 2009 1st rounder

3-Minnesota Vikings (f/ATL) - Andre Woodson-QB-Kentucky...Tavaris Jackson is taking steps backwards and you can't pass on Woodson here

4-Miami Dolphins - Quentin Groves-DE/OLB-Auburn...Very good edge rusher that reminds me a bit of Kamerion Wimbley

TRADE - DAL trades #5 to STL for #9, 2008 and 2009 3rd rounders

5-St. Louis Rams (f/CLE via DAL) - Jake Long-OT-Michigan...The offensive line has been as responsible for their struggles as their defense

6-Atlanta Falcons (f/MIN) - Darren McFadden-RB-Arkansas*...Tough choice here over Brohm but Petrino doesn't need a top tier talent at QB, McFadden could balance his offense for years.

7-Oakland Raiders - Calais Campbell-DE-Miami*...Will make scouts druel in workouts and there are times where his production matches that potential.

8-Detroit Lions - Reggie Smith-CB-Oklahoma*...Shut down CB potential here and I don't use that term often.

9-Dallas Cowboys (f/STL) - Kenny Phillips-FS-Miami*...No front 7 talent here worthy of the pick and Phillips will finally give the secondary a reliable player playing CF.

10-Seattle Seahawks - Brian Brohm-QB-Louisville...Hard to pass up on this value considering Hasselbeck's age.

11-Washington Redskins - Sedrick Ellis-DT-USC...Pass rusher that the Skins have lacked in the middle for far too long

12-Jacksonville Jaguars - Matt Ryan-QB-Boston College...David Garrard is not the solution and Ryan has a ton of tools ready for the NFL.

TRADE - CIN trades #13 to TEN for #16 and 3rd rounder

13-Tennessee Titans (f/CIN) - Adarius Bowman-WR-Oklahoma State...Legit #1 WR for the future that could very well end up being a TO-type WR

14-New York Jets - Antoine Cason-CB-Arizona...Pairs up with Darelle Revis to form a future top 1-2 CB punch, will help with their pass rush woes

15-Arizona Cardinals - Vernon Gholston-DE/OLB-Ohio State*...Very impressive physically, will remind some of Merriman

16-Cincinnati Bengals (f/TEN) - Dan Connor-OLB-Penn State...No nonsense, reliable LB that will be a centerpiece of a rebuilt defense

17-New York Giants - Erin Henderson-OLB-Maryland*...Giants have needed a young legit talent at OLB for a long time

18-Carolina Panthers - Courtney Greene-FS-Rutgers*...Could give Phillips competition for the top FS spot, does everything well.

19-Philadelphia Eagles - Jasper Brinkley-MLB-South Carolina...Perfect combination of Trotter and Geathers, thumper with speed and explosion

20-Denver Broncos - Keith Rivers-OLB-USC...Fills the hole left by DJ Williams' move to the middle and could bring that LB corps back to where it was

21-Houston Texans - Sam Baker-OT-USC...Fits the scheme well and should help solidify that offense

22-Baltimore Ravens - Chris Long-DE-Virginia...Another versatile defender to help sustain Baltimore's defensive domination

23-New England Patriots (f/SF) - Tracy Porter-CB-Indiana...My darkhorse at CB brings everything to the table

24-New Orleans Saints - Phillip Wheeler-OLB-Georgia Tech...the best player on a stout defense the past few years

TRADE GB trades #25 to TEN for 2nd rounder and 2009 1st rounder

25-Tennessee Titans (f/GB) - Steve Slaton-RB-West Virginia*...Tennessee continues to build a powerful and dynamic offense

26-Tampa Bay Bucs - DeMario Pressley-DT-NC State...A better prospect that John McCargo that also fits the scheme perfectly

27-San Diego Chargers - Terrell Thomas-CB-USC...Cromartie has promise but the rest of the secondary is unimpressive

28-Pittsburgh Steelers - Limas Sweed-WR-Texas...Ward is near the end and there isn't much behind Holmes

29-Dallas Cowboys - DeSean Jackson-WR-California*...Looks like Glenn may be done and Jackson will stretch the field for TO and Witten, not to mention his return skills

30-San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) - Keenan Burton-WR-Kentucky...Another weapon to help aid Smith's progression

31-Chicago Bears - Gosder Cherilus-OT-Boston College...Mauler that comes from a school that pumps out quality OL consistently, best in awhile

Scotty D
09-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Can't argue with a CB our seconday is quite weak. Smith's stock seems to be on the rise. Loadholt certainly is an interesting prospect.

scar988
09-29-2007, 06:23 PM
TRADE - ATL trades #3 to MIN for #6 and MIN's 2009 3rd rounder

- bad trade. we would want at least their 2008 3rd rounder...

6-Atlanta Falcons (f/MIN) - Darren McFadden-RB-Arkansas*...Tough choice here over Brohm but Petrino doesn't need a top tier talent at QB, McFadden could balance his offense for years.

-great pick

derza222
09-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Nice mock, refreshing to read because you didn't make the same picks everyone else is making. I liked it a lot. Can't argue at all with the Jets pick and a fantastic Bengals pick. Good job.

KILLERSANTA
09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Love the dallas draft

Yung Flippa
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
love the Ravens pick.

Gridiron
09-29-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd punch a hole in the wall if we passed on Gholston for Cason.

If we were one pick lower or if Gholston was gone, it would be alright.

Number 10
09-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Gave it a thought, really couldn't go wrong either way. Golston isn't the can't miss prospect some here make him out to be but he does have a very high ceiling. I love Cason....would have been my #1 CB last year had he come out. Him and Revis would be lethal together.

TitanHope
09-29-2007, 07:51 PM
TRADE - CIN trades #13 to TEN for #16 and 3rd rounder

13-Tennessee Titans (f/CIN) - Adarius Bowman-WR-Oklahoma State...Legit #1 WR for the future that could very well end up being a TO-type WR

I have absolutely no clue why'd we do this trade. I like the player, but I don't think Bowman will go this high. If he runs around a 4.4 40, then maybe, but I doubt he's the 1st WR taken. Besides, WR's aren't as valuable in our offense as other offenses. Not to mention, we rarely trade up for a player. We gather picks, not give them away. I don't like the trade, and I don't like the value. Bad pick, in so many ways.

TRADE - GB trades #25 to TEN for 2nd rounder and 2009 1st rounder

25-Tennessee Titans (f/GB) - Steve Slaton-RB-West Virginia*...Tennessee continues to build a powerful and dynamic offense

Oh boy... So now we've had 2 1st rounders this year, and then 4th rounders and higher, and next year we go 2nd round and higher. No, no way, no how. Slaton is not worth it. If this was our only pick, and the previous scenario didn't happen and we did not trade into this spot, then it would be ok. But due to the trading, its bad. Again, bad pick.

Bad draft for the Titans. Too much trading, and you obviously don't know much about our team and FO. Keep us in that one spot and pick for us, or trade down. Not unless its for a player we absolutely, positively must have. Bowman and Slaton are not those players...especially not Bowman...

Number 10
09-29-2007, 08:04 PM
I have absolutely no clue why'd we do this trade. I like the player, but I don't think Bowman will go this high. If he runs around a 4.4 40, then maybe, but I doubt he's the 1st WR taken. Besides, WR's aren't as valuable in our offense as other offenses. Not to mention, we rarely trade up for a player. We gather picks, not give them away. I don't like the trade, and I don't like the value. Bad pick, in so many ways.

Oh boy... So now we've had 2 1st rounders this year, and then 4th rounders and higher, and next year we go 2nd round and higher. No, no way, no how. Slaton is not worth it. If this was our only pick, and the previous scenario didn't happen and we did not trade into this spot, then it would be ok. But due to the trading, its bad. Again, bad pick.

Bad draft for the Titans. Too much trading, and you obviously don't know much about our team and FO. Keep us in that one spot and pick for us, or trade down. Not unless its for a player we absolutely, positively must have. Bowman and Slaton are not those players...especially not Bowman...

TitanHope-

I've been very high on Bowman and he has impressed me this season so far. Rumor has it that he is going to run under 4.4 in workouts, as that's what his official time has been down to in the summer. Your offense won't survive on the scrambling of Vince Young forever and your WRs need an upgrade unless you're going to rely on a bunch of aging overachievers on defense forever to win games.

Slaton is not my favorite RB in the world but if you throw him into an offense with Young, White, and Bowman behind a reliable O-line, you'll love him. He will be the kind of player that needs other big time players and a good line to succeed around him and that is exactly what he will get here.

And there is not a FO in the league that has a single set process of that to do with their picks year in and year out in regards to a trade. Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it won't ever happen in the future, that is the NFL.

bearsfan_51
09-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Haha....the Bears aren't making the Superbowl. Thanks though.

Number 10
09-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Haha....the Bears aren't making the Superbowl. Thanks though.

It's the NFC my friend....there are 7-8 teams I could throw in there.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Scar hit the nail on the head for Atlanta.

TitanHope
09-29-2007, 10:42 PM
First off, why don't you think DeSean Jackson will declare?

I've been very high on Bowman and he has impressed me this season so far. Rumor has it that he is going to run under 4.4 in workouts, as that's what his official time has been down to in the summer. Your offense won't survive on the scrambling of Vince Young forever and your WRs need an upgrade unless you're going to rely on a bunch of aging overachievers on defense forever to win games.

Slaton is not my favorite RB in the world but if you throw him into an offense with Young, White, and Bowman behind a reliable O-line, you'll love him. He will be the kind of player that needs other big time players and a good line to succeed around him and that is exactly what he will get here.

And there is not a FO in the league that has a single set process of that to do with their picks year in and year out in regards to a trade. Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it won't ever happen in the future, that is the NFL.

Our offense doesn't survive on Vince's scrambling. It survives on our running game. Vince only runs when he has to. And even if that statement was true, I'm fairly certain that Vince will have the ability to effectively run for the next 3 years at least, so I wouldn't be very concerned. We have overachieving aging defenders? List them for me, and explain to me why you think they're overachieving. WR is a need, which is your only correct statement you've made.

If Adarius Bowman runs a 4.39 40 or less, I will be amazed. That's Calvin Johnson-esque. So if that is true, trading up is ok. But would the Titans be worried about the Bengals, Jets, or Cardinals selecting a receiver? I'm pretty sure that the Bengals and Cardinals are set at that position, and the Jets are ok with Coles and Cotchery. But if you're convinced the Bowman is so good that a team that doesn't have a need, or even a remote need, at the position would pick him, then I guess we have to move up.

And now we have Slaton. Now, this move is stupid. I can't even understand why I'm even having to explain this to you. If we were at this slot and Slaton fell into our laps, then the pick would be fine. But trading away our future first and this year's 2nd for Slaton is stupid. We can get a change of pace, speed guy in later rounds and put him behind our O-Line and he will be successful.

Our FO does have a new GM, so you may be right that we would trade up. But trading up twice? I doubt it. I don't like this draft. Adarius Bowman and Steve Slaton are not worth a 2008 1st Rounder, 2nd Rounder, 3rd Rounder, and a 2009 1st Rounder.

d34ng3l021
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Lol. 6 to 3 for only a future 3rd rounder? Serious?

We would easily take Woodson in that spot.

Number 10
09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Lol. 6 to 3 for only a future 3rd rounder? Serious?

We would easily take Woodson in that spot.

It was meant to be 2009 1st rounder...the 3rd round pick obviously does not come close to equal value.

Number 10
09-29-2007, 11:29 PM
First off, why don't you think DeSean Jackson will declare?

Our offense doesn't survive on Vince's scrambling. It survives on our running game. Vince only runs when he has to. And even if that statement was true, I'm fairly certain that Vince will have the ability to effectively run for the next 3 years at least, so I wouldn't be very concerned. We have overachieving aging defenders? List them for me, and explain to me why you think they're overachieving. WR is a need, which is your only correct statement you've made.

If Adarius Bowman runs a 4.39 40 or less, I will be amazed. That's Calvin Johnson-esque. So if that is true, trading up is ok. But would the Titans be worried about the Bengals, Jets, or Cardinals selecting a receiver? I'm pretty sure that the Bengals and Cardinals are set at that position, and the Jets are ok with Coles and Cotchery. But if you're convinced the Bowman is so good that a team that doesn't have a need, or even a remote need, at the position would pick him, then I guess we have to move up.

And now we have Slaton. Now, this move is stupid. I can't even understand why I'm even having to explain this to you. If we were at this slot and Slaton fell into our laps, then the pick would be fine. But trading away our future first and this year's 2nd for Slaton is stupid. We can get a change of pace, speed guy in later rounds and put him behind our O-Line and he will be successful.

Our FO does have a new GM, so you may be right that we would trade up. But trading up twice? I doubt it. I don't like this draft. Adarius Bowman and Steve Slaton are not worth a 2008 1st Rounder, 2nd Rounder, 3rd Rounder, and a 2009 1st Rounder.

Bowman does not have the hands or the vertical that Johnson does. And when you're trading up, it's not always because the teams right there may pick that player. With each selection that passes, the chances of another team trading up increases as the value of that pick decreases. There will be several teams looking to trade up for Bowman if it pans out the way I think it will.

oldLibid21
09-29-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't see the Atlanta Falcons trading away any of their early round picks because they're in a 'rebuilding' process, and when a franchise rebuilds, the owner usually picks up the highest pick he can get. 3rd overall pick is insurance as well, just in case a team decides to draft McFadden, Brohm, or any of those other stud picks before Atlanta does.

McFadden over Brohm isn't bad, but I doubt McFadden will fall that far especially after he wins the Heisman which is the most likely scenario. And then in that case, we go with Brohm, who, more than McFadden, will be able to balance this offense better due to the fact that A) He will provide the passing attack needed to 'balance' Petrino's offense and B) Norwood and maybe a free agent pick up [Michael Turner or Marion Barber?] is possibly going to happen with that money we will get back from the Vick case.

Jets have much bigger needs than cornerback IMO. Defensive tackle, right tackle, and maybe even wide receiver.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2007, 12:55 AM
good Oakland pick.

TitanHope
09-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Bowman does not have the hands or the vertical that Johnson does. And when you're trading up, it's not always because the teams right there may pick that player. With each selection that passes, the chances of another team trading up increases as the value of that pick decreases. There will be several teams looking to trade up for Bowman if it pans out the way I think it will.

The Calvin Johnson comparison was in that he's a big WR who also runs very fast. And we don't know if he runs that fast either, since I'm assuming it was in the OkSt workouts that he ran the sub 4.4 40's. So who knows how accurate that is.

With each selection that passes, the chances of another team trading up increases as the value of that pick decreases. There will be several teams looking to trade up for Bowman if it pans out the way I think it will.

Then they may very well trade up, but maybe not for Bowman. Not to mention, you must consider than Cincinatti, a team that needs an impact defensive player, won't want to trade down too far. Maybe they won't want to trade down with, lets say the Eagles and possibly miss out on a Dan Connor or Keith Rivers.

The problem with all of this is you're basing this trade and all your other arguments on the possible rumor that Adarius Bowman runs a sub 4.4 40.

Also, if we were just normally picking in our spot at #16, with no trading, I'd be fine with all of the assumptions. But dude, ya gotta give me more justification than rumors and feelings for me to agree with that pick.

Caddy
09-30-2007, 02:13 AM
I really can't fathom the Buccaneers passing on Desean Jackson at the end of the 1st round.

falconsrule
09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Love the Falcons pick

HoopsDemon12
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I have never even heard of the cheifs pick

21ST
09-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Horrible redskins pick, we dont draft DL on day 1, and we dont even have a need at DT.

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Great pick, bad trade.

Number 10
09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I have never even heard of the cheifs pick

If you consider yourself a draft fan, go do some homework.

Number 10
09-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Horrible redskins pick, we dont draft DL on day 1, and we dont even have a need at DT.

The Skins D-line is one of the worst in the NFL but then again you many be right because they don't exactly know the concept of the draft.

Vikes99ej
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I think we're going to end up with a pick higher than 6. I like Woodson.

JETS5128
09-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Yup. Nothing wrong with Cason, just not over Gholston

nemesis3394
09-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I think we're going to end up with a pick higher than 6. I like Woodson.

If thats the case then yes Woodson is our man. Hes the perfect QB at least for us...strong arm, little to no turnovers and he can stand in the pocket and have confidence in his throws unlike some of the other QB's on our roster

23trufant
09-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I dont see the Seahawks picking at 10 not just because I am a fan because they are 3-1 but anything can happen. We just traded for Charlie Frye, but once again you cant pass on Brohm because you have Frye. Solid pick if Seattle is picking there.

Finsfan79
10-02-2007, 07:10 AM
no offense but no way miami passed on long there

heck even mcfadden would be a better pick better for us to get a trade back.

Our biggest need is a offensive Tackle it has been for years now

thebow305
10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
A little high for Groves, give us Long, Campbell, or Phillips there instead. All would fill bigger needs and have better values.

Crow
10-02-2007, 11:36 PM
7-Oakland Raiders - Calais Campbell-DE-Miami*...Will make scouts druel in workouts and there are times where his production matches that potential.
And times where it doesn't. Pass.

Ellis would make much more sense.

PACKmanN
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
you better pray to god Stewart falls to us in the second same with Martin Rucker.!!1 ;)