PDA

View Full Version : Tonights Game (and the near future)...

PalmerToCJ
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, after much things to keep me busy and general disgust with how the Bengals have played I finally get to post again.

Schlegel starts at MLB it appears, OUCH! Him and Marshall have been on the team less than 5 weeks and they're our starting LB's. Getting Willie/Ghiaciuc back is nice, hopefully Levi starts at LT. Not sure if Stacy will play or not. Rudi not playing isn't a massive deal in my eyes, Watson didn't look half bad and lets face if we're a passing team... I don't think we'll be playing with a lead much to where this will hurt.

I expect the Pats to win with 95% confidence, I expected them to win before the season and now it's even worse. JJ will be on Moss I assume, hopefully he doesn't manhandle him too much.

Hopefully they surprise me, I don't expect it. In '04 when we played Denver they were the massive favorites but even then I thought we had a real shot... Just not the case tonight I don't think.

Onward...

I'm hoping after the bye week we get back Ahmad and Jeanty... They're both animals in run defense and that would be a huge boost, they also help provide a pass rush. Then at week 9 it seems we'll have Rudi/Perry/Henry back, that will be a MASSIVE boost to the offense which is amazing given how well they've played thus far with the lack of health on the Oline.

Concerning the defense I'm just not sure what should be changed. When you look at the individual players on the team we have some solid players (not all-pros but solid) like Madieu, Joseph, Smith, Geathers, Brooks and Jeanty. As a unit they're just not playing well. I liked Breshnahans play calling vs. Baltimore and even against Cleveland he was attempting to bring heat on the QB it just didn't work... A decent majority of the mistakes were pretty clearly on the players.

Regardless, if the special teams hadn't made such massive mistakes in the last two weeks we could easily be 3-0. Especially last week. To give up such a massive return to start the game then Holt fumbling the ball just killed us. Against the Browns Cribbs gave them a lot of confidence with his big return and really helped to get the ball rolling. I fully expect the ST to improve, it's just a matter of how soon. We just have a lot of new guys starting out there and they're not playing well as a unit. The problems in it are very coachable (IE don't run in a big group within 5 feet of each other so that if the returner jukes one player he dodges the entire unit).

A win tonight would be a massive boost, although it is very improbable. I really hope I'm wrong about my grim outlook, Orange uni's and primetime at home... I suppose anything can happen.

Aftermath
10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, after much things to keep me busy and general disgust with how the Bengals have played I finally get to post again.

Schlegel starts at MLB it appears, OUCH! Him and Marshall have been on the team less than 5 weeks and they're our starting LB's. Getting Willie/Ghiaciuc back is nice, hopefully Levi starts at LT. Not sure if Stacy will play or not. Rudi not playing isn't a massive deal in my eyes, Watson didn't look half bad and lets face if we're a passing team... I don't think we'll be playing with a lead much to where this will hurt.

I expect the Pats to win with 95% confidence, I expected them to win before the season and now it's even worse. JJ will be on Moss I assume, hopefully he doesn't manhandle him too much.

Hopefully they surprise me, I don't expect it. In '04 when we played Denver they were the massive favorites but even then I thought we had a real shot... Just not the case tonight I don't think.

Onward...

I'm hoping after the bye week we get back Ahmad and Jeanty... They're both animals in run defense and that would be a huge boost, they also help provide a pass rush. Then at week 9 it seems we'll have Rudi/Perry/Henry back, that will be a MASSIVE boost to the offense which is amazing given how well they've played thus far with the lack of health on the Oline.

Concerning the defense I'm just not sure what should be changed. When you look at the individual players on the team we have some solid players (not all-pros but solid) like Madieu, Joseph, Smith, Geathers, Brooks and Jeanty. As a unit they're just not playing well. I liked Breshnahans play calling vs. Baltimore and even against Cleveland he was attempting to bring heat on the QB it just didn't work... A decent majority of the mistakes were pretty clearly on the players.

Regardless, if the special teams hadn't made such massive mistakes in the last two weeks we could easily be 3-0. Especially last week. To give up such a massive return to start the game then Holt fumbling the ball just killed us. Against the Browns Cribbs gave them a lot of confidence with his big return and really helped to get the ball rolling. I fully expect the ST to improve, it's just a matter of how soon. We just have a lot of new guys starting out there and they're not playing well as a unit. The problems in it are very coachable (IE don't run in a big group within 5 feet of each other so that if the returner jukes one player he dodges the entire unit).

A win tonight would be a massive boost, although it is very improbable. I really hope I'm wrong about my grim outlook, Orange uni's and primetime at home... I suppose anything can happen.

I heard that the Brooks 'injury' is to throw off the Patriots and that he will actually play.