PDA

View Full Version : So next week we go to Washington..

Jagonsucker
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
then we play the Giants..then the Cowboys..then we go to San Diego to face the Chargers, then we got Kansas City, then Denver. not to mention we play the Packers twice (not in this order but still)...oh boy

I really dont see us doing well after week 8. What do you guys think

JPLUFF
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah...it's not gonna be pretty. I think we could probably win 3 of the games that you listed though (KC, 1 vs. GB, and NY?)

But a lot can happen before we play any of those games, kinda like the Bears game. Maybe some luck and some injuries to LT and Tony Romo and it might not be so bad.

ironman4579
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
If we played out of our minds, I could see us going 4-4 in those games. Realistically though, I could see us beating the Giants and KC(I don't know why, just a feeling). So like 2-6, which I guess would give us 5 wins on the season. While the Redskins don't have a great offense, I think they have enough to go with their defense to beat us. The Cowboys could make us look really bad. It could be Philly all over again. If the Chargers keep playing like crap, I suppose there's a chance, but I think they have the defensive personnel to rack up sacks all day on us. Denver can run and pass, which will give us problems all year. And the Packers, can't run, but they can throw all day on our secondary. Like I said before though 6 wins this season would be an improvement, 7 wins would be great, and going 8-8 would be awesome.

Scotty D
10-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah if look at it like that it looks pretty bleak, but you have to take it week by week like the players do. I think we match up pretty well against Washington. One of their weaknesses is the Dline and their pass rush. If we give Kitna the time someone will be open. I think we also noticed how much Calvin was missed against the Bears. We need him in those four WR sets.

ironman4579
10-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah if look at it like that it looks pretty bleak, but you have to take it week by week like the players do. I think we match up pretty well against Washington. One of their weaknesses is the Dline and their pass rush. If we give Kitna the time someone will be open. I think we also noticed how much Calvin was missed against the Bears. We need him in those four WR sets.

You do have a point there. Washington's pass rush has continued to be pretty anemic overall. It actually might be a better match up for us than I originally thought.

Addict
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
washington is a tad overrated, so are we, but nontheless I'd hesitate to put this one in the loss category for sure. Their secondary isn't superb with Springs and Rogers, although their safeties are scary as hell.

Do we have CJesus back for this game?

WMD
10-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Honestly.. I only expect us to win 2 more games for the rest of the year... December 2nd at Minnesota, and December 23rd against Kansas City.. Everybody else either has a good offense, great pass defense, or is real tough at home.

Addict
10-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Honestly.. I only expect us to win 2 more games for the rest of the year... December 2nd at Minnesota, and December 23rd against Kansas City.. Everybody else either has a good offense, great pass defense, or is real tough at home.

you just want calais too badly,

WMD
10-03-2007, 02:04 AM
you just want calais too badly,

No, no.. I mean, I want him more than an Emo kid wants scissors.. but I'm not predicting losses just so I think we can get him. We might be able to sneak out a few, but those are the only two I'll expect a win from.

TacticaLion
10-03-2007, 07:58 AM
No, no.. I mean, I want him more than an Emo kid wants scissors..

HAHA!

Funnnny.

The Skins and Bucs are beatable (we play the Bucs in week 7)... and the Bucs are missing Caddy and Petit... so there's the potential to move to 5-1 before we play the Bears next. (Note: Portis is having foot/ankle/leg problems.) If the Bears continue the downward spiral, that's potentially a 6-1 record with 9 games left.

Yes, we've played an easier part of our schedule so far... and, yes, the pain is yet to come... but a 6-1 start for the season would be outstanding. Hitting 8-9 wins might get us to the playoffs. Playoffs? Lions? If we play hard, it's possible.

Addict
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't mean to be a downer, but this team NEEDS a few more high draft picks in order to build a weak defense. As much as I'd like making the playoffs, I don't think it'd benefit the team. Overperforming (let's call it what it is) will do more bad than good.

It's like an engine, you can have produce more revs than it really can, it'll hold for a while before it breaks down.

What I'm trying to say is, we need young elite talents on D.

ThEvIcTR
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
have we not been saying we needed higher draft picks for the last like 10 years?

TacticaLion
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't mean to be a downer, but this team NEEDS a few more high draft picks in order to build a weak defense. As much as I'd like making the playoffs, I don't think it'd benefit the team. Overperforming (let's call it what it is) will do more bad than good.

It's like an engine, you can have produce more revs than it really can, it'll hold for a while before it breaks down.

What I'm trying to say is, we need young elite talents on D.Bah.

A higher draft pick doesn't necessarily guarantee a better player. I'd much rather the team be successful this year and maintain a positive attitude than pick 5-10 spots higher. They'll take the best player for the team, and that's what I want.

Also, doing well this year will help get FAs here in the offseason.

So, as much as I'd like to have a top player, I'd rather be successful.

ironman4579
10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I do feel that, despite this being a somewhat weaker draft class overall, defensively it's actually not that bad. I think there will still be some impact type defensive players to be had later in round one and even into the later rounds. That being said, unless we make the playoffs with something like an 8-8 record, I still see us drafting sometime in early to mid round 1.

P-L
10-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Good news is that although Portis will play, he is banged up. Also, as of now Santana Moss is doubtful according to Tony Ortiz.

TacticaLion
10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Good news is that although Portis will play, he is banged up. Also, as of now Santana Moss is doubtful according to Tony Ortiz.

I think the football gods are smiling upon Marinelli and his hard-working crew of misfits. Injured Eagles? Bruised Bears? Now, Saddened Skins? (They can't all be winners.) Lets not forget about the Banged-up Bucs... missing both their automobile AND their left air bag.

Gotta love it. Now, lets play well and steal some wins.

Iamcanadian
10-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Well, IMO this game is a real test for our running defense. Oakland is a team in flux and I think we were very lucky to get them in the 1st game.
Minny completely shocked me in trying to beat us by passing. They hardly attacked our run defense at all.
Chicago looked pretty inept on offense both passing and running the ball. There is no doubt that Washington will try to beat us by running the football. It should be a good test of just where we stand in the NFL. We are definitely an improved team but after the Philly game, you have to wonder where we stack up as far as decent playoff calibre teams are concerned. IMO, if we win this game we are absolutely a playoff contender. I believe what I see on the field and don't waste time criticizing my team if they show me they can beat a top playoff caliber team. Beating 3 teams with a combined 4-8 record still leaves me wanting to know more. Unfortunately, Washington kills us all the time especially at home and may cloud just how improved we are. All I know for sure is our schedule screams out 'playoff contender' if we can just manage to beat other borderline contenders. I'm not afraid to say I was wrong about Kitna, Marinelli and even (cough, cough) Millen if the results on the field prove me wrong. I never criticize success just because it doesn't fit my mould of things. Results speak volumns to me not suppositions on my part. Bring it on Kitna/Marinelli/Millen, prove me wrong and I'll be glad to eat my words about you. I'm not even going to jump all over you if we loose to Washington, a team that traditionally gives us trouble but I will be looking to see how we lost should it happen. I can see maybe 8 more wins on our schedule if things go right and our defense falls into place otherwise I'll be disappointed and questioning Kitna/Marinelli/Millen should we have to settle for 8 wins or less. We only have a small window of opportunity based on Martz possible leaving, Kitna's age and a schedule that cries out for the playoffs. The more we win this year, the more likely some teams will notice our offense and go after Martz as their HC. If we loose Martz, who here thinks our offense will be just as effective under another OC, not likely. Kitna isn't a spring chicken and if Martz goes, who here thinks he will be just as good under another OC, not me. Finally, the NFL schedule system presents each team with a real opportunity to make the playoffs once in every 4 years unless you have a real franchise QB. This is our opportunity and we must capatalize on it or it could be quite awhile before we get another opportunity.
This is our year and we must simply grab the ring and run with it!

WMD
10-04-2007, 02:28 AM
I agree about the Martz thing. If he leaves after this year, I think we're screwed. Jon Kitna isn't good. He won't be able to re-work Drew Stanton's mechanics. We don't have a Tight End. We don't know how to run the ball.

If he goes, we're a below average offense with two amazing WR's, solid RB's, no QB, no TE, and an undisciplined O-Line.

ironman4579
10-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Well, IMO this game is a real test for our running defense. Oakland is a team in flux and I think we were very lucky to get them in the 1st game.
Minny completely shocked me in trying to beat us by passing. They hardly attacked our run defense at all.
Chicago looked pretty inept on offense both passing and running the ball. There is no doubt that Washington will try to beat us by running the football. It should be a good test of just where we stand in the NFL. We are definitely an improved team but after the Philly game, you have to wonder where we stack up as far as decent playoff calibre teams are concerned. IMO, if we win this game we are absolutely a playoff contender. I believe what I see on the field and don't waste time criticizing my team if they show me they can beat a top playoff caliber team. Beating 3 teams with a combined 4-8 record still leaves me wanting to know more. Unfortunately, Washington kills us all the time especially at home and may cloud just how improved we are. All I know for sure is our schedule screams out 'playoff contender' if we can just manage to beat other borderline contenders. I'm not afraid to say I was wrong about Kitna, Marinelli and even (cough, cough) Millen if the results on the field prove me wrong. I never criticize success just because it doesn't fit my mould of things. Results speak volumns to me not suppositions on my part. Bring it on Kitna/Marinelli/Millen, prove me wrong and I'll be glad to eat my words about you. I'm not even going to jump all over you if we loose to Washington, a team that traditionally gives us trouble but I will be looking to see how we lost should it happen. I can see maybe 8 more wins on our schedule if things go right and our defense falls into place otherwise I'll be disappointed and questioning Kitna/Marinelli/Millen should we have to settle for 8 wins or less. We only have a small window of opportunity based on Martz possible leaving, Kitna's age and a schedule that cries out for the playoffs. The more we win this year, the more likely some teams will notice our offense and go after Martz as their HC. If we loose Martz, who here thinks our offense will be just as effective under another OC, not likely. Kitna isn't a spring chicken and if Martz goes, who here thinks he will be just as good under another OC, not me. Finally, the NFL schedule system presents each team with a real opportunity to make the playoffs once in every 4 years unless you have a real franchise QB. This is our opportunity and we must capatalize on it or it could be quite awhile before we get another opportunity.
This is our year and we must simply grab the ring and run with it!

Have to agree. IMO, it seems that our offense is designed to run the Martz system right now, and without him, I'm not sure where this offense will be.

TacticaLion
10-04-2007, 04:49 AM
I agree about the Martz thing. If he leaves after this year, I think we're screwed. Jon Kitna isn't good. He won't be able to re-work Drew Stanton's mechanics. We don't have a Tight End. We don't know how to run the ball.

If he goes, we're a below average offense with two amazing WR's, solid RB's, no QB, no TE, and an undisciplined O-Line.

Let's think positive... and not look to next year.

Good post, IAC. A bit surprised to hear it from you, but you've been a fan for a long time and have seen a lot of losing seasons. Enjoy the wins.

Xiomera
10-04-2007, 07:40 AM
I think we can win this week.

I am still predicting 8 wins this year.

TacticaLion
10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Winning would put us in a great spot, but I'm hesitant to get too excited. This is (usually) the time when something goes wrong and it gets thrown away.

P-L
10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately, Washington kills us all the time especially at home and may cloud just how improved we are.

I don't buy into the silly little streaks like the media likes to point out. The previous two times we've faced Washington, both games were at home. We won one game by 5 points, and lost one game by 7 points. The last time we played Washington on the road was in 1999. Gus Frerotte was our QB and only one player or coach on our current roster (Jason Hanson) played in that game. I don't see how this Washington team has this Lions team's number. If Washington wins on Sunday, it's because they're a better team - not because they have a streak against us. I seem to remember the Minnesota Vikings winning 10 games in a row against us going into Week 2...

ironman4579
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I'll stick by my prediction of 6 wins this year, but I would not be upset to be pleasantly surprised. I do have to say though, I originally predicted 6 wins based largely on our schedule, but so far some of the teams on our schedule have not looked as good as I originally anticipated. If we win this week, I'll definately be adjusting my prediction upwards.

Addict
10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree with Tactica, it's a bit scary to get too excited.

I gotta say, this 3-1 record screams at me 'enjoy it while it lasts'

LonghornsLegend
10-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Just wanted to drop in to say, i didnt think Portis was "banged up" for you guys game with wasington...He practiced the past 2 days, and I think he will still be pretty solid with around 20 carries, he had a bye week to rest, and he's listed at probable

P-L
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Portis is going to play, but he won't be 100%.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Just wanted to drop in to say, i didnt think Portis was "banged up" for you guys game with wasington...He practiced the past 2 days, and I think he will still be pretty solid with around 20 carries, he had a bye week to rest, and he's listed at probable

Yeah Portis just has a minor groin injury he should play. 20 carries he doesn't even get when he's healthy because of Ladell Betts. Santana Moss is listed as doubtful and hasn't practiced all week so he probably won't suit up, that means along with Randle El, Brandon Lloyd, Reche Caldwell, Keenan Mccardell and James Thrash could all see action. Jansen and Randy Thomas out for the year is painful but we have to work with what we got. Landry and Sean Taylor haven't been tested and this week could be one of their biggest of the season.

WMD
10-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Well, I think as long as Jason Campbell doesn't make any bonehead mistakes, the Skins will win it. All they have to do is not give our offense any extra possessions. In each of our 3 wins this year, we've got at least 2 Picks, and played poor QB's (Josh McCown, Tavaris Jackson, Brian Griese)

I don't buy into people saying our Defense is playing good at all.. Bad offenses are making our D look good..