PDA

View Full Version : Alex Barron

Tom_23
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
is he capable of playing a guard position? If he is then that opens up some possibilties for new draft scenarios

nfrillman
10-03-2007, 12:12 AM
is he capable of playing a guard position? If he is then that opens up some possibilties for new draft scenarios

I think most tackles are capable of playing gaurd. I am not sure that the Rams are in a position of having too many tackles. I sense that you are hinting towards drafting Jake Long. Look at it like this, Pace is not getting any younger and has had two season ending injuries in two games. Even if Barron cannot play guard it would be a good idea to draft Long because first of all Pace is getting up there in age, and secondly he has suffered season ending injuries in two straight games, not exactly a sure thing injury wise, and thirdly you can never have too many offensive linemen, as we have seen this year. Best case scenario if we got Long is that he can be a super-sub for Pace and Barron and eventually take over one of the tackle spots, but with the way things have been going for Pace I would not count on him being there. Right now Long is the guy I want in the draft, or possibly DT Dorsey out of LSU, but Clifton Ryan is impressing.

Tom_23
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
i think at this point i want kenny phillips a true playmaker and game changer in the secondary

NGSeiler
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
i think at this point i want kenny phillips a true playmaker and game changer in the secondary

The problem is the Rams don't seem to put a lot of value on the safety position. Word was back in 2003 the Rams were thinking about drafting Troy Polamalu but the front office declined because they didn't feel a safety was worth that kind of money. Maybe that mindset has changed, but if they won't spend a #12 pick on a safety for financial reasons, you have to wonder if they'd spend a higher pick.

PossumBoy9
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Right now Long is the guy I want in the draft, or possibly DT Dorsey out of LSU, but Clifton Ryan is impressing.

Dorsey is a no-brainer over Jake Long.

The guys calling for jake Long are going to drive me crazy until April, particularly considering where the Rams will be drafting most likely.

nfrillman
10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Dorsey is a no-brainer over Jake Long.

The guys calling for jake Long are going to drive me crazy until April, particularly considering where the Rams will be drafting most likely.

The reason I am mentioning Jake Long is because it appears the Rams need OT help more than DT tackle help because Carriker and Clifton Ryan look good. Pace may not play again, probably will but it is still possible he won't, and even if he does the Rams cannot afford to count on him being there all season and not have a very good back up. As far as just best player available then I would obviously take Dorsey, but the draft is a balancing act between needs and bpa.

NGSeiler
10-05-2007, 08:15 PM
The reason I am mentioning Jake Long is because it appears the Rams need OT help more than DT tackle help because Carriker and Clifton Ryan look good. Pace may not play again, probably will but it is still possible he won't, and even if he does the Rams cannot afford to count on him being there all season and not have a very good back up. As far as just best player available then I would obviously take Dorsey, but the draft is a balancing act between needs and bpa.

Indeed, the Rams have two guys they like at DT right now (Carriker and Ryan) and a third in Claude Wroten who will be returning from suspension soon. At this point I think that's enough youth to allow them to forego taking someone like Dorsey.

I think an offensive tackle is a definite possibility given Pace's age/injuries as well as Barron's contract status (two years left after '07) and the fact that I don't think he's lived up to his first round billing yet. If the Rams reject previous attitudes about the safety position, I could see them heading that direction. Given how ineffective Leonard Little has been this year, looking for a young pass-rushing DE to groom as a replacement isn't a bad idea either.

nfrillman
10-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Indeed, the Rams have two guys they like at DT right now (Carriker and Ryan) and a third in Claude Wroten who will be returning from suspension soon. At this point I think that's enough youth to allow them to forego taking someone like Dorsey.

I think an offensive tackle is a definite possibility given Pace's age/injuries as well as Barron's contract status (two years left after '07) and the fact that I don't think he's lived up to his first round billing yet. If the Rams reject previous attitudes about the safety position, I could see them heading that direction. Given how ineffective Leonard Little has been this year, looking for a young pass-rushing DE to groom as a replacement isn't a bad idea either.

That is another definite possibility. Little and Hall aren't exactly spring chickens, and their play hasn't been as good as I had hoped for, Hall has been better than Little though. At this point, I am about 100 percent sure their first pick will be an OT, DE, LB, or S.

rockio42
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
what about the Miami defensive end, hes a beast and he could be a big contributer on the run defense that is still a liability, plus Hasslet need to throw some new schemes into that defense...its to predictable