PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power rankings...

PoopSandwich
10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2007&week=5

2007 Power Rankings: Week 5

RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT

1 (1) Patriots 4-0-0 How consistent has the Patriots' offense been this season? They've scored in every one of their 16 quarters. In fact, the Pats have put up points in their last 36 quarters dating back to last season.

2 (2) Colts 4-0-0 The Colts could be facing some severe injury problems Sunday against Tampa Bay. WR Marvin Harrison, RB Joseph Addai, S Bob Sanders, TE Ben Utecht and LB Rob Morris are all banged up. Fortunately for Indy, the Bucs have injury problems of their own.

3 (3) Cowboys 4-0-0 We're not looking to rain on the Cowboys' 4-0 parade, but their four opponents have combined for three wins this season, and another lowly team awaits them Monday night in 1-3 Buffalo. We'll know how seriously to take this team on Oct. 14 vs. New England.

4 (6) Packers 4-0-0 Expect Brett Favre to slow down this month. Of his record 422 TDs, 87 have come in October -- the lowest total of any of the four primary regular-season months. How do the other months stack up? 1. September (117), 2. November (10 and 3. December (102).

Discuss.

Boston
10-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Bad list. I think the Packers have proved by now they should be the number one team...

Vikes99ej
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Bad list. I think the Packers have proved by now they should be the number one team...

LOL. Quote of the day.

Windy
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
nfl power rankings are a joke. especially after only 4 weeks.

JK17
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Could very easily be giving the Chargers to much credit just by placing them in the top 16....

I guess there's not to much I disagree with aside from nitpicking. Top three seem pretty clearcut to me....I think I'd maybe put the Titans a little lower, but I don't know who I'd put over them, and I'd maybe move Pitt up, but they just lost to AZ...

I'm not overly impressed with anyone except the unbeatens, Pitt and SEA. Everyone else I don't know where to put.

CannedToast
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Redskins 2-1-0 Veteran WR Keenan McCardell, who just signed, should be able to offer help quickly. He knows Joe Gibbs' system, having been drafted by the Redskins in 1991.

Not only does he know Joe Gibbs system, I hear Keenan stole Gibbs' date back in the 1400's, which led to the making of the movie A Knight's Tale.

fenikz
10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know what people see in Seattle. I have only watched them play the Cardinals but they didn't look good in that game. They put no pressure on Leinart and they could stop Edge.

Addict
10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I like the revolving door reference in discussing W. Justice.

neko4
10-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I love their reasoning behind the packers slowing down in October.
As a matter of fact his TD passes will get less this month, because we have a bye!
Last 5 years Bye weeks:
2006 October Week 6
2005 October Week 6
2004 November Week 9
2003 October Week 8
2002 October Week 8
2001 October Week 7
2000 October Week 8
1999 October Week 4
1998 October Week 6
1997 October Week 8
1996 October Week 8
1995 October Week 5
1994 October Week 7
1993 September Week 3, October Week 7
1992 October Week 6

Source: JT-SW.com (look it up on google/yahoo dont type it in the URL box)

Thank You ESPN for abusing the facts, only a few times of the course of this list did I find that October had 5 games. This means that there were 15 games that easily couldve accounted for the 20 or so less TD's he threw in October. Not only this but the Pack have been notorious for starting off slow in Sep and heating up in Oct-Nov

Im now looking for big time rep!

Just the hit and run media trying to get us again.

ks_perfection
10-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I think ESPN saw those stats and wanted an excuse to mention it.

Twiddler
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I love their reasoning behind the packers slowing down in October.
As a matter of fact his TD passes will get less this month, because we have a bye!
Last 5 years Bye weeks:
2006 October Week 6
2005 October Week 6
2004 November Week 9
2003 October Week 8
2002 October Week 8
2001 October Week 7
2000 October Week 8
1999 October Week 4
1998 October Week 6
1997 October Week 8
1996 October Week 8
1995 October Week 5
1994 October Week 7
1993 September Week 3, October Week 7
1992 October Week 6

Source: JT-SW.com (look it up on google/yahoo dont type it in the URL box)

Thank You ESPN for abusing the facts, only a few times of the course of this list did I find that October had 5 games. This means that there were 15 games that easily couldve accounted for the 20 or so less TD's he threw in October. Not only this but the Pack have been notorious for starting off slow in Sep and heating up in Oct-Nov

Im now looking for big time rep!

Just the hit and run media trying to get us again.

Good find Neko, never really thought about it that way.

drmoyer421
10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
How do they even have the Jets ABOVE the Bills???

the Bills beat them this past Sunday!!

yodabear
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! #32!!!!! of 32. Thats great news.

PoopSandwich
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
denver is WAY to high. also, any nfc east team ranked higher than 25th besides dallas is completely overrated. the chargers suck, too.

I was upset to see Cinci ahead of Cleveland... I was upset to see alot of teams ahead of Cleveland that are TBH.

diabsoule
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
How can the Saints, who haven't won a game, be ranked ahead of a team that has (Buffalo)?

ninerfan
10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Pls what have they been smoking ? 9ers @ 20- I wish

neko4
10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Also, how is McCardell gonna remeber his system, he was in it 16 years ago

ks_perfection
10-02-2007, 09:05 PM
How can the Saints, who haven't won a game, be ranked ahead of a team that has (Buffalo)?

Cause they played so well in them. lol

Bills2083
10-02-2007, 09:08 PM
The Bills win a game, so we go down a rank. We beat the Jets, so they are ahead of us. The Saints are winless, but are ahead of us. What is with their ranking system?

Rob S
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
whatever i really down give a **** what espn thinks......the record at the end of the season will tell the tale.........

justin sandy
10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
im predicting that the patriots lose next week and everyone jumps off the bandwagon

CannedToast
10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
The Bills win a game, so we go down a rank. We beat the Jets, so they are ahead of us.

I think I could argue that the Jets have more upside than the Bills. But, either way, both of our teams suck, and it doesn't really matter where the hell we are on a meaningless power poll when, if we keep playing the way we are, we're both destined for top 10 picks.

Which, would mean, if we just switched back to the 4-3, and then invested both our first and second on our O-line, maybe did a little FA spending, we'd have a solid team again.

Jughead10
10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
After going 2-2 against teams with a combined 11-4 record, I'm just happy that the next 4 teams we have are the Jets, 49ers, Falcons, and Dolphins.

Im_a_Romosexual
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
They talk about the Dallas SOS, but the patriots SOS is equally as bad

Jughead10
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
They talk about the Dallas SOS, but the patriots SOS is equally as bad

Patriots have done it more convincingly. And no one is gonna doubt the talents of Tom Brady and the offense. Pats defense is better too. They just have so much more talent on defense. You might have two players on defense that could start for the Pats.

Yung Flippa
10-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Ravens fell down pretty hard.

yodabear
10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
The Bills win a game, so we go down a rank. We beat the Jets, so they are ahead of us. The Saints are winless, but are ahead of us. What is with their ranking system?

U aren't the Jets, and no one pays attention to u. And u didn't have a hurricane blow through your city. I agree though, these are bull ****. And yes, I am going insane.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-03-2007, 02:49 AM
No chance the Ravens are the 11th best team in the NFL we should be down in the 20's. And the Rams are better than the Dolphins.

BlindSite
10-03-2007, 02:50 AM
About the Panthers all I can say is at least Beason looks like a great pickup and Thomas Davis is really improving.

bored of education
10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Chiefs..21st? Wow. I haven't found anyone ranking them 1-19. I can name 10 teams that look crappier than KC

yodabear
10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
The Rams were just confused the last four weeks, they thought the lower score won like in golf. Our bad.

Nitschke-Hawk
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I still can't believe there's only 4 undefeated teams after week 4.

PoopSandwich
10-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Chiefs..21st? Wow. I haven't found anyone ranking them 1-19. I can name 10 teams that look crappier than KC

I can't believe there are as many teams as there are ahead of Cleveland, but that might be a bit of the homer in me.

Tubby
10-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I dont think Dallas deserves to be #3. As ESPN said, their opponents have combined for three wins.

JK17
10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont think Dallas deserves to be #3. As ESPN said, their opponents have combined for three wins.

What do you want them to do about that? They've looked more impressive then any other team you can really put up there, and when you look at them as a team, at this point, they're better then the other teams you could put there.

SuperMcGee
10-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I still can't believe there's only 4 undefeated teams after week 4.

That's more than there were at this point last year.

yodabear
10-03-2007, 02:17 PM

And we have none of them.

BrownsTown
10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
im predicting that the patriots lose next week and everyone jumps off the bandwagon

Judging by your all bets are off sig I can guess why. But then everyone will jump on a different bandwagon.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 02:22 PM
And they've been dominating. It's not like the NCAA where some teams' schedules are laden with guaranteed victories. A win in the NFL never comes easily, no matter who you're playing. You don't win games in such a convincing fashion as the Cowboys have without being a very good team. BTW, how many wins do the Patriots opponents have?

Addict
10-03-2007, 02:24 PM

don't count on it.

Scar
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
The Pats and Colts are a long way out in front right now. If Dallas can hang with New England 11 days from now, I'll then believe in them even if they lose. They were only 3-3 against the Bears until all those defensive players went down, and most Pop Warner teams could dismantle the Chicago offense. Green Bay has looked great, they've got a very solid defense, but they've been winning with Favre on fire. They're going to need to find a running game to survive weeks when Favre isn't in top form. Can't count them amongst the elite yet with such a major weakness.

Addict
10-03-2007, 02:41 PM
The Pats and Colts are a long way out in front right now. If Dallas can hang with New England 11 days from now, I'll then believe in them even if they lose. They were only 3-3 against the Bears until all those defensive players went down, and most Pop Warner teams could dismantle the Chicago offense. Green Bay has looked great, they've got a very solid defense, but they've been winning with Favre on fire. They're going to need to find a running game to survive weeks when Favre isn't in top form. Can't count them amongst the elite yet with such a major weakness.

I think the best balanced team right now are the Pats, the 'boys are doing fantastic though and I gotta say Romo is having a stellar season so far. But I'm just not sure on their D, and I think when they are facing the Pats for instance (or any team with a great O) they may have to fold.

Jughead10
10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the best balanced team right now are the Pats, the 'boys are doing fantastic though and I gotta say Romo is having a stellar season so far. But I'm just not sure on their D, and I think when they are facing the Pats for instance (or any team with a great O) they may have to fold.

This could be the case. The Giants did put up 35 I think on them. Only thing is our D is much worse than theirs by giving up 45.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
New England @ Dallas is the regular season game of the year. Too bad it's not on in prime time though. I'm interested to see how the coaching duel plays out. How Garrett decides to attack Belichick's defense, and whether or not the Pat's first 15 plays will be passes.

D-Fence
10-03-2007, 02:52 PM
This could be the case. The Giants did put up 35 I think on them. Only thing is our D is much worse than theirs by giving up 45.The Giants took Jacque Reeves and abused him all night long. Henry got burnt once early, but didn't get beat really again after that. Roy got lost in coverage one time, but damn near every score in the game came off Jacque Reeves getting beat in his first game as anything more than a 4th CB/ST player...

I'm a Cowboys fan, and maybe this is biased, but I don't think it's fair to crap all over a defense that has been playing without two of its best players (Newman and Ellis)...One thing is for sure, the Cowboys have been tough against the run this year. You can't really make a fair evaluation of the secondary until you've got Newman and Henry back on the field healthy...

The Legend
10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
power ranking shouldnt be made till week 10-12

Jughead10
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
The Giants took Jacque Reeves and abused him all night long. Henry got burnt once early, but didn't get beat really again after that. Roy got lost in coverage one time, but damn near every score in the game came off Jacque Reeves getting beat in his first game as anything more than a 4th CB/ST player...

I'm a Cowboys fan, and maybe this is biased, but I don't think it's fair to crap all over a defense that has been playing without two of its best players (Newman and Ellis)...One thing is for sure, the Cowboys have been tough against the run this year. You can't really make a fair evaluation of the secondary until you've got Newman and Henry back on the field healthy...

I know Newman and Ellis were out. But are they ever expected to get back 100% healthy this year? On that same notion, the Pats have been without Seymour and Harrison and look way more dominant that the Cowboys.

duckseason

If they held significant meaning or were at all official in any way, I would agree.

M.O.T.H.
This could be the case. The Giants did put up 35 I think on them. Only thing is our D is much worse than theirs by giving up 45.

The D is still in question...we were bad in that first game but, that was to be expected. First game in Wade's system. We have improved in each game after that...yards against are going down and the pass rush is really starting to show up. That Patriots game will def. answer some questions for us.

Same goes for the Giants, actually...first two game in Spag's system you struggled...but, looks like you guys are settling in...these previous two.

Jughead10
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
The D is still in question...we were bad in that first game but, that was to be expected. First game in Wade's system. We have improved in each game after that...yards against are going down and the pass rush is really starting to show up. That Patriots game will def. answer some questions for us.

Same goes for the Giants, actually...first two game in Spag's system you struggled...but, looks like you guys are settling in...these previous two.

The competition for both teams has also gotten a lot worse. I'm cautiously optmistic about how much our defense is improved. And we won't really find out this week if we beat the Jets. I also tend to think our transition for defense was a more drastic one compared to the Cowboys. But it doesn't really matter. The comparison was the Pats and Cowboys. The difference between the Pats at #1 and the Boys at #3 is very very large in my opinion.

Moses
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM

That's like saying mock drafts shouldn't be made until a day before the draft.

awfullyquiet
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
New England @ Dallas is the regular season game of the year. Too bad it's not on in prime time though. I'm interested to see how the coaching duel plays out. How Garrett decides to attack Belichick's defense, and whether or not the Pat's first 15 plays will be passes.

The regular season game of the year was supposed to be bears at chargers... but...

now that their both 1-3... NE and Dallas looks like it... although Dallas will be crushed until tom brady gets hit by lightning (or goes back to heaven like elijah in a chariot) and screws over my fantasty team

M.O.T.H.
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
The game of the year before the season, was NE @ Indy. Right now, I'd say NE @ Dallas is bigger at this point.

M.O.T.H.
10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
So......there is all this talk about Patriots going 16-0. Answer me this...If the Cowboys win this week and then beat the Patriots...do we start talking undefeated season for the Boys?

Moses
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
So......there is all this talk about Patriots going 16-0. Answer me this...If the Cowboys win this week and then beat the Patriots...do we start talking undefeated season for the Boys?

No, because they have to play the Packers. :D

TitanHope
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't see what's wrong with power rankings. It's just one analyst giving his opinion on who he thinks is best. Obviously, people will disagree, since it's an opinion. Who cares about the timing? It changes weekly, so its not a big deal. And, personally, I think that you should only rate a team after it's played 4 games. So I think the polls now are the most accurate, and will only get more accurate as time goes on and teams distinguish themselves from the rest.

I can't argue with the Titans position. When rating the team's talent, we're possibly in the bottom half of the league. But when rating the team in how well they play, as a team, I think we're definitely top half. I think people forget that sometimes, and just focus on who has the most "name players." And I have no problem with teams getting recognition for beating teams with a losing record. As someone said earlier, a win in the NFL is hard to come by, no matter who you play. As Denny Green says, "The competitive balance is fair!" ...or was it equal? I dunno...

duckseason
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
The game of the year before the season, was NE @ Indy. Right now, I'd say NE @ Dallas is bigger at this point.

Ooh I forgot about that one. Damn I dunno, considering the history between those 2 teams, I'd probably say that game is slightly bigger. Though the rarity of Pats v Cowboys and the fact that we may see a rematch in Arizona adds to the excitement of it all.

Smooth Criminal
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't know what I would do if I had to sit through a Cowboys/Patriots superbowl.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know what I would do if I had to sit through a Cowboys/Patriots superbowl.

Get drunk and eat snacks?

Moses
10-03-2007, 03:32 PM

That's the correct formula for any Super Bowl.

Jakey
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM

I'd rather circumcise myself with a blunt spoon then watch Pats v 'Boys in the superbowl!

Addict
10-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I'd rather circumcise myself with a blunt spoon then watch Pats v 'Boys in the superbowl!

Make sure you take pictures when it happens. For when you wonder why your foreskin is gone.

M.O.T.H.
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
if your question was whether or not the analysts will... probably. emmitt will likely speak incoherently about it for 10 minutes while the rest of the primetime crew struggles mightily to act like they have some vague idea what the hell he's saying. then salisbury will scream at clayton for even suggesting that it's not possible that they'd go undefeated after beating the best team of all time.

lol...sounds about right.

I was just saying...I think it's only fair that if everyone is talking undefeated season for the Pats...why not the Cowboys if they beat them? I def. agree that it's way too early but, that's all you here when analyst talk about the Pats anymore.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Speaking of Pats vs Cowboys...

I wonder if Bill Parcells would call up Bellichick (or vice versa) and give advice on how to stop the Cowboys.

Imagine that? Its a possibility, i wouldn't doubt it if it did indeed happen.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
what? on the off chance the video tape broke?

touche good sir. touche

yourfavestoner
10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
espn actually gave all it's employees a matching set of knee pads before the season with the patriots logo and a year's supply of chapstick.

I think that made me laugh harder than anything I've ever seen on this board.

Smooth Criminal
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM

And hopefully pass out before seeing the winner.

yodabear
10-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Cowboys are winning the super bowl and I am becoming the newest admin of this site.

Jvig43
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
ESPN always talks about teams going undefeated every year with a team that hasnt lost a game. the colts etc....but this year their doing it with a team that even i as a pats fan, they dont stop talking about. no big surprise,think they wont go undefeated either. i mean, the year we lost to the dolphins on monday night? uhhhhh

BrownsTown
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
ESPN always talks about teams going undefeated every year with a team that hasnt lost a game. the colts etc....but this year their doing it with a team that even i as a pats fan, they dont stop talking about. no big surprise,think they wont go undefeated either. i mean, the year we lost to the dolphins on monday night? uhhhhh

I think the Colts will stay undefeated longer than the Pats this year. They have been really quiet and under the radar this year, which is probably a good thing.

Jvig43
10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
i totally agree, people say we have a chip on our shoulders from the colts, but now that were winning games, and everyone is praising us, i feel like the colts are going to be the ones with the chip on their shoulders after listening to all of this.