PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton

kwilk103
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
whats everyones assesment of him? hes noticeable bigger than last year; speed seems the same, although he might be a step slower, its hard to tell because the line lost its 2 best players (including mozes) so the holes havent really been there

obviously injuries are a concern (apparently he had "cramping" issues) in the usf game, and that fumble was his first all year (it was a clean hit, right on the ball);

would you say mid-late 1st? and would the rankings be like this:

1. mcfadden
2a. stewart
2b. slaton (people seem to have differing opinons on them), but these 3 seem to the the consenus top 3

Number 10
10-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Still doesn't run hard enough and break tackles the way I want a RB to.

10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
will go in the late 1st round similarily to deangelo williams a couple years back

BuddyCHRIST
10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
late first rounder, depends on where teams are drafting. In a zone blocking scheme he would be a stud.

toonsterwu
10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I think he's a late first/2nd rounder big boarded. I'm just not in love with the kid. There's definitely some potential there to really excel ... but it has to be in the right situation, which is what makes me wary. Times will be critical, though. I'm not sure if I'd put him 3rd btw. If James Davis runs well, he's going to push ... and I could see another back emerging from the pack, someone like Felix Jones.

toonsterwu
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
late first rounder, depends on where teams are drafting. In a zone blocking scheme he would be a stud.

I don't expect Denver to draft a RB (gotta fix that defense and OL could use work), but bringing him in and having him complement Travis Henry would really make that offense, well, complete at a skill spot. I mean, they have the blocking and receiving TE, the big downfield targets. I'd like to see some more "pop" from the RB position. I know, Henry's putting a 5 ypc or something like that, but I just don't think of Henry as a home run threat.

DaSuperfan
10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Tatum Bell seems like a good comparison to Slaton.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I can see Houston trading up early round 2 to take him.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Julius Jones

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Julius Jones

Julius Jones doesn't have that explosion.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Julius Jones doesn't have that explosion.

From what I've seen of Jones(not much) he runs like Slaton. Slaton may be faster, but they get taken down too easy.

D-Unit
10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
He reminds me of a Warrick Dunn type.

Smokey Joe
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I think he'd be a good fit with Barber and the Cowboys.

theogt
10-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I can see Houston trading up early round 2 to take him.Why would they have to trade up to get an early 2nd round pick?

D-Unit
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I like his fit with the Packers. Especially if the Packers are picking late round 1.

VoteLynnSwan
10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Why would they have to trade up to get an early 2nd round pick?

because at this point they're a middle of the pack team... i don't see them picking in the top 10, although i guess it is possible.

theogt
10-04-2007, 05:46 PM
because at this point they're a middle of the pack team... i don't see them picking in the top 10, although i guess it is possible.Dude, they just lost to the Joey Harringon-led, competing for the #1 overall pick Atlanta Falcons.

M.O.T.H.
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Dude, they just lost to the Joey Harringon-led, competing for the #1 overall pick Atlanta Falcons.

I dont know about that one. No Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, or Ahman Green in that game. They'll all be back eventually.

Staubach12
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
He reminds me a lot of Julius Jones coming out.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
He reminds me a lot of Julius Jones coming out.

Haha we have the same comparison

P-L
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Why would they have to trade up to get an early 2nd round pick?Because Atlanta owns their 2nd Round pick...

Paranoidmoonduck
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
It all depends on how he times. Depending on how much his added bulk slowed him down, I think he's a legitimate threat to post a sub 4.4 40 and teams are going to be attracted to his receiving ability.

I don't see any NFL star in him yet, but the skill set it most definitely there. I think the late 1st-mid 2nd predictions are pretty accurate right now.

d34ng3l021
10-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Dude, they just lost to the Joey Harringon-led, competing for the #1 overall pick Atlanta Falcons.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoaaa.

I dont know if Slaton is as a good inside runner as Dunn. Dunn is pretty decent up the middle, for his size.

I really like the Tatum Bell comparison.

schmiddog
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I think he's a late first/2nd rounder big boarded. I'm just not in love with the kid. There's definitely some potential there to really excel ... but it has to be in the right situation, which is what makes me wary. Times will be critical, though. I'm not sure if I'd put him 3rd btw. If James Davis runs well, he's going to push ... and I could see another back emerging from the pack, someone like Felix Jones.

Slaton resembles a poor man's Reggie Bush, which isn't the most flattering comparison.

Toon, do you think Slaton will have as much trouble as Bush running between the tackles?

Kiper called Felix Jones a mid first rounder yesterday, and that, IMO, seems a bit optimistic. Who knows, he could go that high. I swear he might be a step faster than last year.

At this point, I like James Davis as the #2 back in the junior class. Love the way he runs.

sweetd20
10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I see him as a midway point between Marshall Faulk and his cousin Kevin. He's not quite the player that Marshall was but he's better than Kevin. With his ability to catch the ball and to turn the corner he'd be a good fit for any of the offenses being run by Coryell disciples.

Geo
10-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I like Slaton a great deal, myself.

brat316
10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I see him as a early second to mid second, first because he doesnt have that tackle breaking ablity like DeAngelo Williams. He seems like another fast player that can do the right things in college, but might not show it in the NFL. If he was a returner, not sure if he is. He would go late first than, he is an explosive player, and a team that is not afraid of his speed and needs explosiveness will go after him. Look at Ginn, why would you take him 7 over all let alone in the first round. Hester I liked, he got picked in the third thats a good place to try your luck on the atheltic players, on the offensive side/returners.

wvfan14
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Slaton will be a Reggie Bush/Marshall Faulk type player. He's not big enough or strong enough to be a feature back yet, although he could bulk up, but he could be a good skill player in the NFL. But that seems like all right now.

keylime_5
10-06-2007, 05:49 PM
He would be a good fit in New York or Dallas - teams with a big back already on their roster but that could use a small, shifty back like Slaton. Barber/Slaton or Jacobs/Slaton could be a killer combination. Too bad Cleveland doesn't have a 1st rounder (Lewis/Slaton :D)

Primetime21
10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Look at Ginn, why would you take him 7 over all let alone in the first round. Hester I liked, he got picked in the third thats a good place to try your luck on the atheltic players, on the offensive side/returners.

Ginn was 9th overall. Hester was a second rounder.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Ginn was 9th overall. Hester was a second rounder.

I'm pretty sure Hester was a 3rd.

SuperKevin
10-06-2007, 06:14 PM
We finally can get to see just how good Slaton is with Pat White being hurt

draftguru151
10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Hester was a 3rd.

He was a 2nd rounder.

kwilk103
10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
pat white has a strained/bruised sternum

plus we have a bye and dont play until the 20th

10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
We finally can get to see just how good Slaton is with Pat White being hurt

i dont think pat white had anything to do with slatons success

Primetime21
10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
i dont think pat white had anything to do with slatons success

When an offense has two dangerous runners like that they have to key on both of them. Sometimes defenses would have particular guys assigned to White and to Slaton.

Slaton had a huge advantage with White rolling out opposite side of the field.

Example: The falcons led the league not because of Mike Vick rushing yards but the threat of Mike running.

So Pat White impacts Slaton on almost every play.

brat316
10-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, that leaves one guy you can key on, with both of them on the feild you have to be carefull of both, now you can worry about one.

Green Bay Scat
10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
pat whites back up is probably a better QB than pat white, remember he had that great overtime game against Rutgers(?) i dont remember i just remember watching it and think he was better than white as a QB

LonghornsLegend
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM

If he lasted till mid 2nd we would take him, id be pretty confident in that and wouldnt mind at all...Doesnt think he's worth much more

wvfan14
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
pat whites back up is probably a better QB than pat white, remember he had that great overtime game against Rutgers(?) i dont remember i just remember watching it and think he was better than white as a QB

No. Brown is not close to Pat White as a quarterback. Did you watch the USF game? Did you see how slow he was to get plays off and get up when knocked down.

I don't think he's nearly as good of a leader as White.