PDA

View Full Version : Alex smith seeking 2nd opinion on shoulder injury

49ersfan_87
10-02-2007, 11:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3047175

A team source has told ESPN's Ed Werder that San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Alex Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7247) is seeking a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews after preliminary MRI results indicated he appears to have suffered a serious injury to tendons in his right shoulder in Sunday's game.
If the diagnosis performed at Stanford is confirmed by Andrews, the source said that it is expected Smith would opt to have corrective surgery immediately even though he would likely miss the rest of the season.
The 49ers have reported Smith's injury as a grade three shoulder separation that would not require surgery but would sideline him indefinitely.

Wow....we dont need this. We lost manny lawson for the season, vernon davis for a few weeks, and now possibly Alex Smith?

neko4
10-02-2007, 11:52 PM
damn, i picked all 3 of those dudes to break out

SchizophrenicBatman
10-02-2007, 11:53 PM
If he's going to James Andrews, he needs Tommy John surgery

he'd miss some of next season too, if that was the case

SenorGato
10-02-2007, 11:58 PM
If he's going to James Andrews, he needs Tommy John surgery

he'd miss some of next season too, if that was the case

You don't get TJ surgery on the shoulder, it's the elbow. Andrews has done shoulder surgeries I'm pretty sure.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-03-2007, 12:06 AM
You don't get TJ surgery on the shoulder, it's the elbow. Andrews has done shoulder surgeries I'm pretty sure.

He's done plenty of other surgeries but he's renown for TJ. I dont know why Smith would specifically get a 2nd opinion from him for a non-TJ related injury unless Andrews has really fleshed out his office of late for all pro sports related surgeries

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2007, 12:42 AM
so this is basically what 2 degrees worse then what Eli suffered?

keylime_5
10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Drew Brees went to Andrews for his shoulder problem in 2006 and he made a remarkably fast recovery and had his career year afterwards.

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 10:42 AM
This is a double edge sword for Alex Smith, on one hand he was supposed to solidify himself as the leader of the offense and on the other his only impressive series of the year was the game winning drive against Arizona in Week 1. If he's hurt then he needs to just shut it down and get the surgery. Yes that basically throws a monkey wrench into the 49ers season, but quite frankly they were walking a tight rope between expectations and actual results.

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 11:02 AM
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=683573

Sounds like the espn report may be wrong(what a surprise). He hasn't completely torn both tendons like espn is reporting, he tore ligaments...BIG difference. He's also not visited Andrews, they're just sending him a copy of the MRI for a second opinion.

If I were smith, I'd sit out until the 49ers got their offensive line fixed or else he's going to be get knocked out again with another injury. That offensive line is absolutely dreadful. They can't open holes for gore and pass block for smith. Trent Dilfer pretty much proved that it wasn't all smith, the real problem with the offense is the o-line, specifically the interior line. Allen is whiffing on every run block and letting defensive tackles blow by him for the sack. He's the one that let rocky bernard rush passed him for the sack that injured smith. Smiley is no better either, neither is heitman. They also might want to give San Diego a call and ask them to hurry up and fire turner already so they can hire him back.

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
This is a double edge sword for Alex Smith, on one hand he was supposed to solidify himself as the leader of the offense and on the other his only impressive series of the year was the game winning drive against Arizona in Week 1. If he's hurt then he needs to just shut it down and get the surgery. Yes that basically throws a monkey wrench into the 49ers season, but quite frankly they were walking a tight rope between expectations and actual results.

His most impressive game was against the Steelers. His throws were precise and he was doing a great job reading the blitz. Although he was only 17/35, he DID have 7 dropped passes in that game. The final score made the game look lopsided, but it was pretty close until about the middle of the 4th quarter where the score just got out of hand. Also, his interception came on a play where the receiver read the coverage incorrectly and ran a different route. Jacobs read it as cover 3, but smith correctly read it as cover 2 and threw it where the receiver was supposed to be, but jacobs wasn't there. I don't really understand why Jacobs was starting ahead of Lelie anyway, he has more dropped passes than he has catches, but he just got cut anyway, so I guess this is Lelie's shot.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Wait a minute......Vernon is out? I wont get to see him play this sunday?

Ewing
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Time to think about drafting another quarterback, San Fran. Smith has been decent when he's played but he hasn't looked like a franchise quarterback and if he's going to miss the rest of the season and part of next year then the Niners should consider drafting a quarterback in the first round. I think the pieces are still in place for the Niners to explode on the NFC in a few years but they need a better quarterback than Alex Smith if they're going to do it.

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Wait a minute......Vernon is out? I wont get to see him play this sunday?

Knee Sprain, he won't be back until after the ravens game.

It's funny, all of their injuries are happening to their first round picks. Smith, davis, lawson...
Patrick Willis and Joe Staley better watch out, they could be next.

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Time to think about drafting another quarterback, San Fran. Smith has been decent when he's played but he hasn't looked like a franchise quarterback and if he's going to miss the rest of the season and part of next year then the Niners should consider drafting a quarterback in the first round. I think the pieces are still in place for the Niners to explode on the NFC in a few years but they need a better quarterback than Alex Smith if they're going to do it.

LOL, right, like they're going to give up on a 23 year old quarterback because his offensive line can't block for him.

The 49ers offensive problems go beyond the quarterback. If you don't watch the games, you can't understand because this goes beyong statistics. Dropped passes and poor offensive line play have been the biggest problem for the niners this year. Like I said in my other post, SEVEN dropped passes in one game alone and 3 this season in the endzone which would have been touchdowns. I'm not saying alex smith has been playing like he's the second coming of Joe Montana, in fact, he needs to a better job with his reads. He didn't even see vernon davis wide open in the rams game, according to some 49er beat writers, on what could have been a 40+ yard bomb for a td. In fact, vernon was open alot in the first couple games, but it didn't help that the o-line forced smith to scramble out of the pocket.

Frank Gore did not forget to run overnight, defenses stacked the box last year and he did just fine. The offensive line is playing like CRAP and it's not just the game against seattle. They can't run block or pass block. Smith has been sacked, on average, 3 times per game. It should be noted that Smith is pretty good at avoiding pressure so that sack number will probably go up with the less mobile trent dilfer under center. Joe Staley has been their best linemen so far this year, which isn't saying much considering he's a rookie. They might want to try putting Davis Bass and Adam Snyder in to the guard spots in place of allen and smiley...theres no way they can play any worse than what I've seen these past 4 games.

no love
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Not to mention that the top QB's coming out this year are comparable to Smith. None of Brohm, Brennan, and Woodson play in a pro style offense and because of that it would be as hard to predict which one is going to be a star in the NFL as it was with Alex Smith. Remember when Alex Smith had his workout, some scouts were saying that it was the best workout they had ever seen a QB put on, he got a standing O from scouts, ran a good 40 time for a qb, scored an excellent score on the wonderlic, and had a good size frame to get bigger.

Alex Smith has shown what a lot of young QBs who have played behind bad lines experience... happy feet. He is not confident in the pocket and does not look comfortable, nor should he. Our line has never been consistently forming good pockets. When Smith is not pressured he plays with great poise and has great accuracy.

Borat
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
LOL, right, like they're going to give up on a 23 year old quarterback because his offensive line can't block for him.

The 49ers offensive problems go beyond the quarterback. If you don't watch the games, you can't understand because this goes beyong statistics. Dropped passes and poor offensive line play have been the biggest problem for the niners this year. Like I said in my other post, SEVEN dropped passes in one game alone and 3 this season in the endzone which would have been touchdowns. I'm not saying alex smith has been playing like he's the second coming of Joe Montana, in fact, he needs to a better job with his reads. He didn't even see vernon davis wide open in the rams game, according to some 49er beat writers, on what could have been a 40+ yard bomb for a td. In fact, vernon was open alot in the first couple games, but it didn't help that the o-line forced smith to scramble out of the pocket.

Frank Gore did not forget to run overnight, defenses stacked the box last year and he did just fine. The offensive line is playing like CRAP and it's not just the game against seattle. They can't run block or pass block. Smith has been sacked, on average, 3 times per game. It should be noted that Smith is pretty good at avoiding pressure so that sack number will probably go up with the less mobile trent dilfer under center. Joe Staley has been their best linemen so far this year, which isn't saying much considering he's a rookie. They might want to try putting Davis Bass and Adam Snyder in to the guard spots in place of allen and smiley...theres no way they can play any worse than what I've seen these past 4 games.

Hey, I like this guy. Welcome to the boards dude, that was one of the more insightful breakdowns of the 9ers I've seen here. You hit the nail on the head, if people are going to just look at stats, they're definitely going to say Alex Smith sucks blah blah blah. But the truth is that he's been sabbotaged by terrible Oline play and average to below average play by the wideouts. Questionable playcalling hasn't helped either.

Paul
10-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Yeah, because giving up on a 23 year old, #1 overall pick is the logically and financially the best way to go. :rolleyes:

EdReedUnstoppable
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Knee Sprain, he won't be back until after the ravens game.

It's funny, all of their injuries are happening to their first round picks. Smith, davis, lawson...
Patrick Willis and Joe Staley better watch out, they could be next.

I'm now wondering if there is any reason at all to watch the game. :(

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Everyone is denying the report of Smith seeing Andrews for a 2nd opinion. Man ESPN is losing credibility by the day it seems.

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/
Just updated, no surgery needed
This just in re: Smith's shoulder

Dr. James Andrews, the noted orthopedic surgeon in Birmingham, Ala., today confirmed the team's original diagnosis on Alex Smith -- he has a Grade 3 shoulder separation and does not need surgery. The team sent Andrews the results from Monday's MRI.
-- Matt Barrows

Hopefully he'll be back in time for the giants game

Borat
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm now wondering if there is any reason at all to watch the game. :(

If you like defensive slugfests, then this game is watchable. I wouldn't bet the over though.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-04-2007, 03:31 AM
If you like defensive slugfests, then this game is watchable. I wouldn't bet the over though.

I just wanna see us crush Trent Dilfer thats all.

Jakey
10-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Thats tough for the 9ers, I watched the Pitt/SF Game and Smith looked really promising for the first half of the game. In the second half the play calling got all conservitive and that held him back. I agree with Borat, if you only look at his stats, its misleading. He handled the no huddle really well in that game, but then his O-Line let him down(or the Steelers D';)). But i still think the dude deserves a bit of credit.

BuddyCHRIST
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
The place where Andrews works is in my home town. There's a big Andrews Institute they just built where athletes go to have surgery and rehab and all that stuff. He's big time now.

sup3rdup3r
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Just an update on this
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=684614
Alex Smith was no longer wearing the sling on his right arm. He was carrying a football during today's practice and regularly tossed it up underhanded to himself. Just the fact that he's moving his arm around can be seen as a very good sign.

Smith can lift his right arm to shoulder height. His range of motion is expected to improve daily while he tries to come back quickly from a grade-3 separation.
He's improving faster than most fans could have anticipated, maybe he can come back for the giants game after all!

Another article for some of you smith haters http://49ers.scout.com/a.z?s=69&p=2&c=687001
1. Alex Smith (20.4 percent) - What happened to the 49ers wide receivers? After posting the third-least drops in the league last year, they've been killing Smith and the San Francisco offense by dropping 11 out of 54 catchable throws. They're making Seattle's league-worst 12.5 percent from last year look good. Seven different receivers have drops so far, with running back Frank Gore leading the group with 3 drops in just four games. Smith separated his shoulder last weekend, so veteran Trent Dilfer gets his chance to see if the receivers can catch his tosses any better.

It's not all Alex Smith guys.