PDA

View Full Version : Early Season MVP?

Xiomera
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Who is the NFL MVP through the first quarter of the season?

I only listed some of the potential candidates. Feel free to present a case for another player.

The Legend
10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Brett Favre
112/170 | 1,205 | 8/2 (Well He's 37)

Tony Romo
72/121 | 1,199 | 11/3 (2 Rushing TD)

Tom Brady
95/120 | 1,118 | 13/2 (134.7 Rating)

Geo
10-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Last year, Donovan McNabb seemed to be the consensus MVP pick after the first four weeks.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I think it's clearly Tom Brady at this point.

Jakey
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
The obvious one is Tom Brady, but i think the real MVP has got to be Brett Favre, without a running game he has pretty much carried the whole offense on his shoulders and got them 4 wins. Without Favre the Pckers would be 0-4.

Don Vito
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
1. Tom Brady
2. Tony Romo
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Randy Moss

Sniper
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
1. Tom Brady
2. Randy Moss
3. Brett Favre
4. Brian Westbrook
5. Peyton Manning

JK17
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
So far? Brady, hands down. Yardage, completion percentage, TD:INT ratio...he's got it all this year, and he's leading the consensus #1 team in the NFL, as much as I hate him.

Favre's been looking good too, and he's lead a team that no one expected to be 4-0, to 4-0, but I think Brady still has the nod.

Now, WRs aren't all that considered for an award like this, but what about Moss as someone else who could possibly get it? He's been lighting the world on fire, but its at WR, and the more successful he is, the more successful Brady is also...

Xiomera
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
The poll is up.

I put Brett Favre #1, followed by Brady and Romo.

BrownsTown
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Favre is the definition of the award...but Brady will win it because the MVP has basically become OPOY.

JK17
Actaully, having thought about it a little more, despite having arleady voted, a case could be made for Favre that the Pats would still be a dominant team wtihout Brady, whereas the Pack would be significantly worse off without Brett.

I still stand by Brady as the MVP, because its also possible Rodgers could step up for the Pack, whereas losing Brady is kind of losing the entire spirit behind that team, as well as the guy who calls all the shots...but a good case could be made for Favre being more valuable to his team.

Then again, Favre is the spirit behind the Pack too...so who knows.

The Legend
Nice poll Xio, i vote'd Favre, his age his tight end, his running game

Romo & Brady both have good tight ends and running backs

but i think its a close race right now with Brady in the lead

sup3rdup3r
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I'd say Brett Favre or Tom Brady. Tom Bradys been absolutely lights out, theres no need explain why he's a candidate. As much as I don't like Favre, what he's doing is incredibly impressive. Greenbay has the worst running game in the entire league, defenses don't need to play the run at all... favre is doing it purely with his arm. Favre and that defense are why they're 4-0.

Crazy_Chris
Yeah Favre is right up there because he's playing great football and he's the main reason that team is 4-0... however i just don't see how you could justify putting him over Tom Brady his numbers are amazing If he keeps this up he is on pace to throw 52 touchdowns.

duckseason
The obvious one is Tom Brady, but i think the real MVP has got to be Brett Favre, without a running game he has pretty much carried the whole offense on his shoulders and got them 4 wins. Without Favre the Pckers would be 0-4.

Not true. You can't rob the other 21 of their efforts. That defense is among the very best right now. Regardless, the award is given to the most valuable player. A diamond is a diamond whether it's sitting atop a pile of other jewels, or sitting between some couch cushions. You grade each player on their own. The award isn't "MVP on a team with inferior talent." And I wouldn't characterize the Packers that way anyway.

Addict
10-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Tomasso di Brady is my pick ey?

(sorry, italy just hijacked him)

Modano
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Tomasso di Brady is my pick ey?

(sorry, italy just hijacked him)

Not bad, but it should be Tommaso, like Tony it's Antonio and Brett is..uhm.. Brett, I guess :P

Jakey
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Not true. You can't rob the other 21 of their efforts. That defense is among the very best right now. Regardless, the award is given to the most valuable player. A diamond is a diamond whether it's sitting atop a pile of other jewels, or sitting between some couch cushions. You grade each player on their own. The award isn't "MVP on a team with inferior talent." And I wouldn't characterize the Packers that way anyway.

I agree with you, i think the Packers are one of the best teems at the minute, and their Defense is playing solid, but i still dont think they'd have the same success without Favre, so therefore i think he's the MVP.

Nitschke-Hawk
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I voted Brady.

Smooth Criminal
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Has to be Moss. He is on pace for over 2000 yards recieving and 28 TDs. Those are insane numbers.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Its Tom Brady right now.

But Romo's name deserves to get thrown in there. Take away a pick or 2, and his numbers are just as good as Bradys.

I guess a distant 3rd is Randy Moss? His numbers are insane right now for a WR though.

As far as impact on a team, how about Matt Schaub? I want to throw his name in there. He's dramatically changed the culture in Houston.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree with you, i think the Packers are one of the best teems at the minute, and their Defense is playing solid, but i still dont think they'd have the same success without Favre, so therefore i think he's the MVP.
How many teams in this league would have the same success they are having right now without their starting QB? You think Brad Johnson can do anything but dump the ball off to the RB? How many combined starts do Matt Cassel and Jim Sorgi have? And as I said, this is the Most Valuable Player award. I don't understand why people always insist that the award must go to a player who plays for a team that is perceived to be inferior to the teams of the other candidates.

Moses
10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
1. Tom Brady
2. Brett Favre
3. Randy Moss

fenikz
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I went with Brady, he is just ridiculous right now.

Addict
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I went with Brady, he is just ridiculous right now.

Just give the guy some quality receivers and he does this, that's scary.

PACKmanN
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Brett Favre, listen everyone excepted Brady to put up those numbers but did anyone except Favre to do this good so far into the season? nope, did anyone think the Green Bay Packers would be a 4-0 team? nope. Brett Favre should win it if he keeps it up.

Brodeur
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
1. Tom Brady
2. Tony Romo
3. Randy Moss
4. Brett Favre
5. Jon Kitna (no one has mentioned him yet and granted the Lions will probably not continue this play, but he has to be in consideration SO FAR)

Moses
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Brett Favre, listen everyone excepted Brady to put up those numbers but did anyone except Favre to do this good so far into the season? nope, did anyone think the Green Bay Packers would be a 4-0 team? nope. Brett Favre should win it if he keeps it up.

Expectations don't play into the MVP Award.

Jakey
How many teams in this league would have the same success they are having right now without their starting QB? You think Brad Johnson can do anything but dump the ball off to the RB? How many combined starts do Matt Cassel and Jim Sorgi have? And as I said, this is the Most Valuable Player award. I don't understand why people always insist that the award must go to a player who plays for a team that is perceived to be inferior to the teams of the other candidates.

True True.

awfullyquiet
I like brady...
I like moss a little better...

TitanHope
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm with Smooth Criminal. Randy Moss is on pace to have 124 receptions, 2,020 yards, and 28 TD's. That's a seemingly impossible feat for a WR, and he would break all the WR records there are with that season, I believe. And by doing that, I would think that he's hands down the MVP. But, then again, he probably won't hit that. So Tom Brady is likely the safest candidate. But so far, I gotsta go with Moss.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM

That doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with expectations or anything like that. It has to do with who is perceived to be the most valuable player in the league. You're basically saying that the most valuable player cannot play for a team that was expected to be good. It should have nothing to do with anything other than who is the best at what they do. If you believe Favre is the better QB than Brady right now, that's fine. But you don't withhold the award from a guy who deserves it just because another guy is the story of the moment and plays for what is thought of as a weaker overall team.

Addict
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm with Smooth Criminal. Randy Moss is on pace to have 124 receptions, 2,020 yards, and 28 TD's. That's a seemingly impossible feat for a WR, and he would break all the WR records there are with that season, I believe. And by doing that, I would think that he's hands down the MVP. But, then again, he probably won't hit that. So Tom Brady is likely the safest candidate. But so far, I gotsta go with Moss.

Brady is on pace to breaking the QB rating record and the single-season TD record. Kitna is on route to 4900 passing yards, Umenyiora is on pace for 24 sacks. Anthony Henry is on pace for 16 interceptions, TJ Houshmanzadeh is on pace for 156 receptions and Barrett Ruud's pace allows him to get 160 solo tackles, 192 total.

see my point? projected stats don't mean squat. If you feel Moss is the MVP so far, fine, but don't drag projected stats into the discussion.

duckseason
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
When baseball players hit a homerun on opening night, they are "on pace" for 162 homeruns.

awfullyquiet
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Brady is on pace to breaking the QB rating record and the single-season TD record. Kitna is on route to 4900 passing yards, Umenyiora is on pace for 24 sacks. My point is: projected stats don't mean squat.

If kitna is still alive by the end of the season he might break 5k passing yards...

MARK IT AS TRUTH.

M.O.T.H.
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM
1. Brady
2. Romo
3. Favre

10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
so early could go either way between brady and favre..but it has to be brady hes basically rejuvenated the career of another MVP candidate there too (moss) which shows me something

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I want to say Moss over Brady, just because I cant remember the last time a WR started off like this after 4 games...its unreal how good he can be with a great qb and weapons around him...

Bradys numbers are great, but its not as if Romo is far off, they are almost identical outside of completion percentage and Romo has made up for that with some incredible plays he made on his own, and what favre is doing at his age is also noteworthy because his numbers are somewhat in the ballpark...

thats why i take moss, he's in another stratosphere, and if all the players mentioned kept up their same pace, Moss would be by far the most impressive

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
No love for Schaub?

I think he deserves his name thrown in there.

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Brady without question, take him out of the equation the Pats are only left with Matt Cassel which is saying something.

adschofield
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Dwayne Bowe

Im_a_Romosexual
10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Romo Not really, I think Brady will be MVP

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Romo Not really, I think Brady will be MVP

Shocker you vote for Tony........

CannedToast
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Favre is great so far, but I honestly don't know how anyone could vote for him right now.

Brady
Romo
Favre/Moss (Moss could be higher, but a WR MVP? Won't happen)

Sniper
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Obviously he won't win because the Eagles are putrid, but what does everyone think of what Brian Westbrook's done so far?

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Obviously he won't win because the Eagles are putrid, but what does everyone think of what Brian Westbrook's done so far?

Definitely the Eagles MVP but he won't get serious consideration for league MVP.

Smooth Criminal
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I see no problem with a reciever getting MVP. If he has an absolutley insane year, which Moss has done so far, and knocks off a few records why couldn't a WR be MVP.

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I see no problem with a reciever getting MVP. If he has an absolutley insane year, which Moss has done so far, and knocks off a few records why couldn't a WR be MVP.

Jerry Rice was MVP one year if I recall.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Jerry Rice was MVP one year if I recall.

No WR has ever won it.

And thats why many feel that if Rice never won one, then no one should. Its gonna take a ridiculous year by someone to win it as a WR.

CannedToast
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM

It's POSSIBLE, but the stats that he would have to put up would need to be absolutely insane, and there couldn't be any QB's that continue their current pace.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that the tendencies of most people would be to give it to the QB, which makes it pretty much impossible for a WR to win one.

fenikz
10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
If Moss ends up with 20+ TDs and over 1500 yards he would be a very strong MVP candidate

BigDawg819
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
No WR has ever won it.

And thats why many feel that if Rice never won one, then no one should. Its gonna take a ridiculous year by someone to win it as a WR.

Pretty sure he did in 1987.....

http://football.about.com/od/nflhistory/l/bl_awardsmvp.htm

Smooth Criminal
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Qbs do tend to win the award but with how Moss and Brady have been conncecting there is no reason to think he won't end up having a huge year.

Its not like some other projected stats where he had all of his success in one game. He has had a TD and over 100 yards recieving in every game this year. That consistancy is very impressive, esspecially out of a reciever. They tend to disapear more often than other positions.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Pretty sure he did in 1987.....

http://football.about.com/od/nflhistory/l/bl_awardsmvp.htm

not by the associated press

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_MVP_Award

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2007, 05:02 PM
whats the difference between the two? and didnt they only hand out one mvp award in 83, was it Elway or Rice?

Shiver
10-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Receivers, like Moss, always revert to their career catch percentage. In this case Moss is catching at an obscene rate. He will regress at some point and the harsh weather past their week 10 bye will also play a factor.

bigbluedefense
10-03-2007, 05:03 PM
whats the difference between the two? and didnt they only hand out one mvp award in 83, was it Elway or Rice?

no clue.

i just remember hearing that they never gave it to a wr, and it seems like the AP poll never did.

I didn't even know there was another poll out there *shrug* Its all stupid if you ask me.

CannedToast
10-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Receivers, like Moss, always revert to their career catch percentage. In this case Moss is catching at an obscene rate. He will regress at some point and the harsh weather past their week 10 bye will also play a factor.

So there is no such thing as a "career year"?

Im_a_Romosexual
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Shocker you vote for Tony........

Highlight it

nrk
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I have to go with Favre. He is carrying that offense. Brady has played amazing too and you can't take that away from him, but hes not even the clearcut MVP on his own team.

ninerfan
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Where's the 7th poll choice that will actually come 2nd ?

Its Brady #1.......................................daylight #2

P-L
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I think it's Brady, and I really don't think it's close. Luckily for everyone else, it's only Week 4. Brady has put up obscene numbers. Being the best statistical QB on an undefeated team will win you an MVP more times than not.

moc182
10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Moss; he's brought that team to an entirely different level, and is on pace for the best statistical season for a wide receiver in football history.

DMWSackMachine
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I voted for Romo cause he's my boy, and he would be the MVP if not for the ridiculous crap that Brady is doing. But it's obvious that Tom is the man right now. I'm still holding out hope that its just a lucky convergence of circumstances and that his play is going to fall of soon here......but its getting harder and harder to lie to myself like that.

CannedToast
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
But in your sig you don't talk about Ted Ginn's sex appeal.

http://media.theinsiders.com/media/image/27/271138.jpg

That's right, real men wear pink.

http://media.theinsiders.com/media/image/27/271140.jpg

And cry.

neko4
10-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Reasons for Favre...
1-On pace for more yards than Brady and Romo
2-Oldest
3-Less talent to support.

Kitna should have his name thrown in, he's created alot of optimism in detroit. they may not reach the playoffs this year, but there will be a lot of optimism for the future.

Sniper
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I voted for Romo cause he's my boy, and he would be the MVP if not for the ridiculous crap that Brady is doing. But it's obvious that Tom is the man right now. I'm still holding out hope that its just a lucky convergence of circumstances and that his play is going to fall of soon here......but its getting harder and harder to lie to myself like that.

As much as I love Brady, he and Romo have both played a bunch of JV teams, so we'll have to wait and see with them.

neko4
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
As much as I love Brady, he and Romo have both played a bunch of JV teams, so we'll have to wait and see with them.

Patriot Opponets:
NY Jets-JV
San Diego-Varsity
Buffalo-JV
Cincy-JV

Packers Opponets:
Philly-Varsity
NY Giants-JV
San Diego-Varsity
Minnesota-Varsity

Dallas Opponets:
NY Giants-JV
Miami-?
Chicago-Varsity
St.Louis-JV

Seems about right
THis list definitly falls in favor of Romo and Favre though

eaglesfan_45
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Randy Moss
He is leading the leauge in: TDS, Scoring, Recieving Yards

and on a side note Tomlinson leadsd the league in... Passer Rating :-]

Geo
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Just give the guy some quality receivers and he does this, that's scary.
When did Troy Brown and Deion Branch become Todd Pinkston and James Thrash?

eaglesfan_45
10-03-2007, 06:08 PM

THe sad part is Donovan did just as good as Tom Brady with those guys

neko4
10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
While Branch did have some injury struggles he was elite when healthy and Brown was always solid.

Man_Of_Steel
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I voted Romo, hes been nothing shy of spectacular.

Sniper
10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Patriot Opponets:

San Diego-Varsity With Norv Turner at coach? Please.

Packers Opponets:
Philly-Varsity They're most definitely not a Varsity squad.
NY Giants-JV
San Diego-See previous.
Minnesota-Varsity Borderline, but ok.

Dallas Opponets:
NY Giants-JV
Miami-JV
Chicago-Varsity Or not. Grossman is part of the team.
St.Louis-JV

Seems about right
THis list definitly falls in favor of Romo and Favre though

Edited a few.

P-L
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM

They aren't that bad, but come on. They aren't even in the same league as Harrison/Wayne, Johnson/Houshmandzadeh, Holt/Bruce, or even Owens/Pinkston (2004 season).

Geo
10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
THe sad part is Donovan did just as good as Tom Brady with those guys
But Donovan McNabb had The Freddie Mitchell.

FredEx always delivers, rain or shine.

neko4
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Philly isnt varsity?
BTW, GB's OT shutdown Osi and Starhan so they were like Pee-wee that game. Deshawn Wynn scored a TD on them

scottyboy
10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Philly isnt varsity?
BTW, GB's OT shutdown Osi and Starhan so they were like Pee-wee that game. Deshawn Wynn scored a TD on them

ehhh strahan wasnt in game shape and Osi was hurt. your OT's did a nice job, but neither was at 100%

and if philly is varsity, and the Giants just spanked them...

Sniper
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
But Donovan McNabb had The Freddie Mitchell.

FredEx always delivers, rain or shine.

He just wanted to take this moment to thank his hands. You know, for being so great.

ks_perfection
10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Last year, Donovan McNabb seemed to be the consensus MVP pick after the first four weeks.

Grossman was on fire at the start. He was doing those Pro Bowl Commercials.

Caddy
10-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Tom Brady.

badgerbacker
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Brady is the OPOY and Favre is the MVP at this point in my mind. Sure I may be biased, but the Packers would be god-awful without Favre, and with him they are 4-0. Still early though...

Sveen
10-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Tom Brady, and it's not even close.

Scotty D
10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm drinking the Romo kool aid.

LonghornsLegend
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I dont get how everyone is saying "its Tom Brady and its not even close"

do you guys realize that if all the qb's on this list keep the exact same pace(which in all likely hood will not happen but for sake of arguments sake) for the rest of the season, they will all be relatively close, favre leads in yds, romo and brady are tied in tds, brady leads completion percentage, so its not like if he keeps up the same pace he will be in a whole nother league from the other two qbs, especially with what favre is doing with his team and all those young guys...

but when you look at Moss, if he keeps up the same pace he will blow away every other position player out of the water, along with every other single season record for a wr, which is by far the greatest achievement, and probably has alot to do with Brady's increased stats

KCStud
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I would say Favre. He has been the most valuable to his team thus far IMO

JK17
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I would say Favre. He has been the most valuable to his team thus far IMO

But it's most valuable player in the league, not most valuable player on the team. That doesn't mean OPOY, but if you put Brady in Green Bay, with what he's show this season, I think he is more valuable then Favre is....or any other team for that matter. Brady as a QB, this year, is more valuable then Favre in the League, not just the Packers.

Using that argument, you could say no one is more valuable to their team then Larry Johnson, but he certainly isn't worthy of an MVP award.

duckseason
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Brady is the OPOY and Favre is the MVP at this point in my mind. Sure I may be biased, but the Packers would be god-awful without Favre, and with him they are 4-0. Still early though...

For one, you have no idea who would be worse off without their starting QB between the Packers and Patriots. Secondly, that is irrelevant when determining who the MVP is. It's the MVP award. It's an award given to a single player. If your assertion that the Packers would be far worse without Favre is part of your formula for determining who the better QB is between he and Brady, that's fine. But the MVP should go to the most valuable player in the entire league, and that includes players from teams that are perceived to be the most talent-laden. Obviously determining this is subjective, but it should be purely based on who is perceived to be more valuable as a player. So I guess one way to think about it would be- if you could pick any player in the NFL to play for your team this season, but you had to pay them the highest salary in the league to have them, who would you pick? In other words, do you place a higher value on Favre or Brady? Who is worth more?

duckseason
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM

do you guys realize that if all the qb's on this list keep the exact same pace(which in all likely hood will not happen but for sake of arguments sake) for the rest of the season, they will all be relatively close, favre leads in yds, romo and brady are tied in tds, brady leads completion percentage, so its not like if he keeps up the same pace he will be in a whole nother league from the other two qbs, especially with what favre is doing with his team and all those young guys...

but when you look at Moss, if he keeps up the same pace he will blow away every other position player out of the water, along with every other single season record for a wr, which is by far the greatest achievement, and probably has alot to do with Brady's increased stats
Of course it has to do with Brady's stats. But that is a two way street. Moss doesn't catch any passes without somebody throwing the ball to him. When you get two guys with such immense talent hooking up like these two are, you get an abundance of great stats. There is no way of determining who is more responsible for that. All 11 players on the field have a little something to do with it anyway. As does play calling, opposing defensive strength, etc. And if Brady does keep up this pace, he will blow the other QB's out of the water. Especially Favre. That completion percentage is insane. As is his rating. I'm a Cowboys fan and didn't even think about voting for Romo at this point. I just feel that Brady is clearly the better player at this point. I agree that Moss is playing out of his head right now and should definitely be in the discussion. But I do believe that the QB is more valuable than the WR. Neither could live without the other, but the QB does so much more than a WR.

Shiver
10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Not to mention Brady seems to be 'due' for an MVP award. He's been acclaimed as QB 1a/1b with Manning for a while now, and he already has two Super Bowl MVP awards.

P-L
10-04-2007, 05:50 PM

The stats really aren't all that close though. Brady is completing about 13.5% more his passes than Favre and just a hair under 20% more than Romo. Brady has 2 more TD passes than Romo and 5 more than Favre. His QB rating is 134.7, which is 21.8 higher than Romo and 37.4 higher than Favre. The only stat that Brady doesn't lead those two in is yards. Brett Favre has 87 more yards, but has thrown the ball 50 more times.

neko4
10-04-2007, 08:59 PM
But it's most valuable player in the league, not most valuable player on the team. That doesn't mean OPOY, but if you put Brady in Green Bay, with what he's show this season, I think he is more valuable then Favre is....or any other team for that matter. Brady as a QB, this year, is more valuable then Favre in the League, not just the Packers.

Using that argument, you could say no one is more valuable to their team then Larry Johnson, but he certainly isn't worthy of an MVP award.
I disagree, favre is much better at improvising even at his age

The stats really aren't all that close though. Brady is completing about 13.5% more his passes than Favre and just a hair under 20% more than Romo. Brady has 2 more TD passes than Romo and 5 more than Favre. His QB rating is 134.7, which is 21.8 higher than Romo and 37.4 higher than Favre. The only stat that Brady doesn't lead those two in is yards. Brett Favre has 87 more yards, but has thrown the ball 50 more times.

Favre has had to throw the ball to win games. Its hard to imagine how Brady would do w/o Moss, w/o a OL who can run block that allowed Morris to pickup 100 yards

CannedToast
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Favre has had to throw the ball to win games. Its hard to imagine how Brady would do w/o Moss, w/o a OL who can run block that allowed Morris to pickup 100 yards

You can't take it away from Brady because he hasn't given himself the chance to prove it. You can't say "Well, in that position Brady would do such and such" because he isn't in that position. You can only judge what they have done, and Brady has done more than Favre.

GB12
10-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Even as a Packers fan I can not see why anyone would give it to Favre over Brady. Favre's having a great season, but Brady is having an even better one.

ks_perfection
10-04-2007, 10:01 PM

Its not that hard, he's had bad talent around him at WR for a long time.

LonghornsLegend
10-04-2007, 11:54 PM

I agree, but I also feel that the MVP award can be handed out by looking at other aspects other then just yardage...you cant tell me if Favre leads the pack to a 13-3 record, and puts up relatively similiar stats as he's been doing thus far, that they wouldnt be falling in love with the chance to vote for him, even if Brady is outperforming him in alot of categories...Voters will take into consideration that Favre carries his team to that record at his age, and put up great numbers for any qb...

granted its a long way for that, but if it plays out that way I can see how you would put him in that conversation...I believe the same for Moss, if he breaks all the records this year for a wr I think he could steal alot of votes away from brady and depending on your flavor, as duckseason stated a QB is more important with more responsibilities, but some may look at the astronomical numbers Moss "could" finish with and feel like its worth a 1st place vote, it will go down as one of the greatest seasons ever regardless of position if he comes close 2 the ballpark he is projected at, and I feel like those 2 as of now make it so much easier then "its not even close", to me that term means its not an argument to make for anyone else...

Yet you can pretty easily make an argument for Favre or Moss at the end of the year, or right now

Turtlepower
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Its not that hard, he's had bad talent around him at WR for a long time.

But has he had an MVP season like he is having this year?

Sniper
10-05-2007, 12:06 AM

Yeah, he's been a nobody until this year. :rolleyes: It's all because of Moss that this Brady character is good all of a sudden.

Sportsfan486
10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Even as a Packers fan I can not see why anyone would give it to Favre over Brady. Favre's having a great season, but Brady is having an even better one.

Going by the nature of the award, MOST VALUABLE PLAYER, it has to be Favre imo.. and I'm not being a homer.

As was said earlier in the thread.. what would happen if you took Brady off his team? They would, at least, still make the playoffs.

What would happen if you took Favre off that team? They'd probably have a top 5 pick next year.

As far as Offensive Player of the Year right now, Brady, no question.

JK17
10-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Going by the nature of the award, MOST VALUABLE PLAYER, it has to be Favre imo.. and I'm not being a homer.

As was said earlier in the thread.. what would happen if you took Brady off his team? They would, at least, still make the playoffs.

What would happen if you took Favre off that team? They'd probably have a top 5 pick next year.

Again, its not most valuable player on the team. It's most valuable player in the league. With what they have both done this year, Brady's proven he's more valuable then Favre, despite how much Favre matters to his team. And how do you know what would happen if Brady and Favre were taken off their respective teams?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Right now:
Brady
Romo
Moss
Favre
Denver run D(wins a lot of games for other teams)

Favre is doing extremely well, no doubt, but at his age, I think midnight's about to strike, and his ball will be over.

CannedToast
10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Favre is doing extremely well, no doubt, but at his age, I think midnight's about to strike, and his ball will be over.

Well, aren't you just brimming with emotional quotes.

Xonraider
10-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm voting Romo because I think Dallas without him would be worse than NE without Brady... just my 2 cents

HoopsDemon12
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I really think its tom brady for sure... he is taking that team and picking apart everyone he faces... they wont go undeafeted cause they will probably have 1st locked up so quickly they can rest theyre starters though

Ward
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Brett Favre is carrying his team on offense, something Brady and Romo don't have to do. That said, I expect by week 8 this whole Favre renaissance to go back to normal and he'll start playing his age.

Shiver
10-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Geo, please tell me you weren't serious when you voted for Joseph Addai...

Geo
10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I didn't care about this, so I figured I'd show a little homer love.

DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!

UKfan
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Go Joe Addai!

Shiver
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I think the fact that Peyton Manning isn't listed on this poll shows how desensitized we are to his performance. So much so that if Favre has a slight resurgence or Romo tears up mediocre defenses we'd rather take them.

Geo
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
That is the case, unfortunately.

I still seethe when I recall that Drew Brees was voted All-Pro quarterback over Peyton Manning last year. Having watched every snap Manning took last year and what he did, it grinds my gears like you wouldn't believe.

Hawk
10-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I voted for who I wanted to win....

But I think at this point in the season, its Tom Brady's to lose. He leads the most dominating offense in the league. Favre is having a great season as well, and most certainly can still win the award this year, but Brady has been better. Tony Romo should be considered as well. Whoever has the better record will win the award.

Moses
10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I think the fact that Peyton Manning isn't listed on this poll shows how desensitized we are to his performance. So much so that if Favre has a slight resurgence or Romo tears up mediocre defenses we'd rather take them.

Manning isn't producing at the same level as Favre and Romo...

P-L
10-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Manning isn't producing at the same level as Favre and Romo...

Favre's production hasn't been amazing by any stretch of the imagination. The reason that Favre is in the MVP discussion is because he is vastly improved over last year, the Packers are 4-0, and they are getting little help from their running game.

Favre: 97.3 QB Rating, 65.9 Completion Percentage, 1205 Yards, 7.1 Yards Per Attempt, 8 Touchdowns, 2 Interception
Manning: 110.4 QB Rating, 67.2 Completion Percentage, 1066 Yards, 8.3 Yards Per Attempt, 8 Touchdowns, 1 Interception

Not only is Manning producing at the same level as Favre, he's produced the same record and better stats than Favre.

Boston
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Favre's production hasn't been amazing by any stretch of the imagination. The reason that Favre is in the MVP discussion is because he is vastly improved over last year, the Packers are 4-0, and they are getting little help from their running game.

Favre: 97.3 QB Rating, 65.9 Completion Percentage, 1205 Yards, 7.1 Yards Per Attempt, 8 Touchdowns, 2 Interception
Manning: 110.4 QB Rating, 67.2 Completion Percentage, 1066 Yards, 8.3 Yards Per Attempt, 8 Touchdowns, 1 Interception

Not only is Manning producing at the same level as Favre, he's produced the same record and better stats than Favre.

He also has Addai running out of the backfield...

neko4
10-05-2007, 04:53 PM
He also has Addai running out of the backfield...
And Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. I ofcourse believe that Jennings and Jones have extremly bright futures, but neither is as good as Wayne yet. Driver is probably close to Harrison's level

P-L
10-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes, I realized that Favre has put up his numbers with far less talent around him. That is why people are talking about Favre for MVP, and not Manning (at least not yet...). However, saying that Manning's production isn't on the same level as Favre's is completely false.

Moses
10-05-2007, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't say Manning has better stats than Favre. It is debatable since Favre has more yards but has thrown one more interception.

Favre has been more dominant than Manning thus far. He IS the entire offence. Manning has a solid rushing attack which relieves some pressure from him.

If the voting were to take place today, there is no doubt in my mind that Favre would beat Manning.

Ewing
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM

If you wanna go by who means the most to his team then it's clearly Vince Young. But if you want to include both value and prefromance then it's Brady, no question.

no love
10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
At this point in the season, Brady is so good it's scary. He would be on par to shatter a lot of single season records. And he's at nearly 80% completion rate...

Does anyone know what the completion rate record is?

Basileus777
10-05-2007, 07:33 PM
At this point in the season, Brady is so good it's scary. He would be on par to shatter a lot of single season records. And he's at nearly 80% completion rate...

Does anyone know what the completion rate record is?

70.55% by Ken Anderson, Cincinnati, in 1982.

Shahin
10-06-2007, 04:41 AM
I'd say it's Favre hands-down.

duckseason
10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
I'd say it's Favre hands-down.

Hands-down? Interesting take. Care to explain your reasoning?

bernbabybern820
10-06-2007, 03:32 PM
And Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. I ofcourse believe that Jennings and Jones have extremly bright futures, but neither is as good as Wayne yet. Driver is probably close to Harrison's level

Last game Peyton had 4 tds throwing to Wayne, Clark, Fletcher, and the backup rb.

zCaddyz
10-06-2007, 06:34 PM
How bout jeff garcia 771 yards 98.9qb rating 2 td 0 int's 8.6 yards avg

GB12
10-06-2007, 06:35 PM
How bout jeff garcia 771 yards 98.9qb rating 2 td 0 int's 8.6 yards avg

Were you being serious?

zCaddyz
10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
ummm we where 4in the draft and now where 3-1