PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Gholston

remix 6
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Can someone tell me where this beast is projected?(top 15? top 20?) How good of an OLB can he be?

what do u think his 40 will be and btw..how big are his biceps :) ?

BroadwayJoe10
10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
he has experience playing in a 3-4, which is always helpful. He is quite athletic for his size, and when hes not creating absolute chaos in the backfield i think he'll have the ability to cover TE's pretty well. I just feel that teams will be going after him for his ability to blitz and stop the run; and i dont think is coverage ability is a liability at all, but i havn't seen him play as much as others. I think where he goes in the draft depends mainly on what 3-4 teams are on the board at the time. I really hope he gets chosen by a 3-4 team and not a 4-3 team as i really would hate to see his talent go to waste. I would say he is a guy depending on the team could merit a pick outside the top 10 and all the way down, however if hes picked a little high it wouldn't be something fans would piss and moan about (at least this guy right here wouldn't). And as far as his biceps; ive heard that they are the size of car tires and his legs are the size of tree trunks (from some ohio paper)

darnik44two
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Right now I rank him 25th overall (4th among DE's). I see his best fit being OLB in a 3-4 system, but he could also be a DE. Almost a certain first round pick.

Here's a Gholston sig I made if anyone wants to wear it.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/darnik/vernon-gholston.jpg

foozball
10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
gholston vs harvey? in both 4-3 and 3-4

Sniper
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
gholston vs harvey? in both 4-3 and 3-4

There's a thread dedicated to this issue. Look it up.

foozball
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
i know. i started it. i just thought id bring it back up since nobody ever talks about either of each

gstock05
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
IMO he could be a much better 3-4 linebacker than 4-3 end.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I think Gholston has the strength and plays with the leverage to survive both with his hand in the ground and standing up. Of course, he's not a run-stuffing defensive end, but in a scheme which asked him to get after the quarterback I think he would be fine.

toonsterwu
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Really more a side note, but he somewhat reminds me of Bryan Thomas coming out.

BroadwayJoe10
10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Really more a side note, but he somewhat reminds me of Bryan Thomas coming out.

ahh so than he would underachieve in the 4-3 than have breakout year for the jets when they switch over to the 3-4 up until he got his new contract, than refuse to record a sack for the last 10 games. I sware im not bitter haha. But i like the analogy. The only thing i see different, besides gholston being 10 times more vascular, is that he plays with a lot more fire/aggression than bryan thomas does. Atleast from my perspective.

gstock05
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
One thing to note, as a 3-4 defensive end, I think he'd be more of a power-rushing end alike to Merriman or McGinnest in opposition to being a super fast edge rusher ala Kamerion Wimbley.

Number 10
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
He looks slow this year...not sure if there is an injury that I am unaware of but he looked more explosive a year ago.

Freddy G
10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
He would definitely be best served in the 3-4 where all of his versatility could be used. He is good against the run on 4 man lines now, but i am not sure how that would translate the NFL. However, as a LB his run stuffing ability would be top notch, perfect for 34 SOLB.

Like someone else said, he is more like Merriman where he uses his explosive power when rushing rather than out right agility and speed....though he is pretty quick as well. He may be a bit too stiff to be a truly complete OLB, but with coaching i think he can be a monster rush man/run stuffer with adequate coverage skills handling TEs and backs. Oh, he is also terrific against screens and swing passes, seems to display good instincts there.

Personally, he is one of my absolute favorite and i am sure he could buy beer with those arms and might even be eligable for AARP with his legs (j/k)....

Not quite Merriman, but damn close. I say he runs 4.65-4.75 and is 12-15 talent.

DukeDaGod
10-04-2007, 04:07 PM
the next Shawne Merriman..Gholston reminds me very much of him

WMD
10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I actually had a dream last night that Vernon Gholston was the #1 Overall Pick of the 2008 Draft.

I figured I'd tell you guys just to make sure it doesn't happen.

BroadwayJoe10
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
haha i had a dream the other night that someone asked my biochem prof a tough question he couldn't answer and he started convulsing and he pulled off his face and it was vernon gholston... true story, he was wearing a superman tshirt and everything. I guess i gotta stop studying and being on this site at the same time while bootin black tar heroine. seriously tho, messed up dream.

bearsfan_51
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna wait for Toonster to confirm this.

BroadwayJoe10
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
ok i def came off as a druggy...but when i read this site before i go to bed and watch sportscenter the **** gets to ya hah. I get the watchin my team lose nightmare a lot, but it always seems to be against the team we already faced so i half know its a dream and half not.