PDA

View Full Version : ECU RB Chris Johnson thoughts?

Incinerator
10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I've watched Chris Johnson for the past four years and he has improved immensely each year. He's always been fast but now he is beginning to get those tougher yards unlike in the past.

Because Skip Holtz likes to give seniors a lot of reps he's now getting the majority of the load (and last year was playing a lot in the slot) and even though our OLine has never really been very good he's put up decent numbers for our team. He's also got good hands and can make things happen in the open field and is also experienced in kickoff returns.

So does anyone think he'll get drafted next year? I'm thinking about round 5 right now but I'm also biased since I go to ECU.

toonsterwu
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Can't say I have time like I used to to catch random games, so I haven't seen how he's done this year. That said, coming into the year, I thought he wsa a mid-late day 2 possibility, so sure, round 5 sounds possible. If he really runs a low 4.3 number, that will certainly shoot him up. That said, it'd be nice to see him handle the workload, but I don't know much about Skip's offense down there.

Mr. Stiller
10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Can't say I have time like I used to to catch random games, so I haven't seen how he's done this year. That said, coming into the year, I thought he wsa a mid-late day 2 possibility, so sure, round 5 sounds possible. If he really runs a low 4.3 number, that will certainly shoot him up. That said, it'd be nice to see him handle the workload, but I don't know much about Skip's offense down there.

I heard rumors that he ripped off a 4.27 40 this spring. And he's a great receiver.

I can see him kind of like Chris Henry Last year... Great measureables, limited production.. someone takes a gander.

energizerbunny
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
he's put a load of weight on in the last couple of years, if he can maintain some of that speed we'll probally have a very similar prospect to Clinton Portis here.

hitstreak13
01-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Kind of reminds me of Michael Bennett. In all honesty, i dont think he'll do too much in the NFL as far as running the ball (his value will come as a kickoff/punt returner)

lod01
01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Kind of reminds me of Michael Bennett. In all honesty, i dont think he'll do too much in the NFL as far as running the ball (his value will come as a kickoff/punt returner)

If he has 1 ounce of vision, he's better than Bennett who has zero.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I see that Mike Mayock has him as his #1 senior RB so who knows how high he will go!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=without-video&confirm=true

keylime_5
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Probably a high 2nd round pick. Is a perfect compliment to a big back, so a team like New York (Giants), Cleveland, or Seattle could really use him and add another dimension to their offense. I also think he'd be perfect on a pass based team like Philly, Green Bay, New England, Indianapolis, etc. He's gonna be a good player, a lot of draftniks absolutely love this guy and with good reason. Perfect slash RB who can literally be as good a slot receiver as he is a tailback. I hope the Browns get him, but not too sure we're gonna take a RB this year.

Turtlepower
01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
If my team ran the WCO, I would love to have Chris Johnson as a scat back. A person who would be a great check-down back who can get a few yards on just his motor.

keylime_5
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
He's basically Reggie Bush with more speed, less moves, and way less hype. A WR/RB tweener who will be a killer matchup problem for any defense. Too bad he was at ECU instead of USC or else he would've gotten more hype and might be talked up as a top 15 pick.

princefielder28
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Probably a high 2nd round pick. Is a perfect compliment to a big back, so a team like New York (Giants), Cleveland, or Seattle could really use him and add another dimension to their offense. I also think he'd be perfect on a pass based team like Philly, Green Bay, New England, Indianapolis, etc. He's gonna be a good player, a lot of draftniks absolutely love this guy and with good reason. Perfect slash RB who can literally be as good a slot receiver as he is a tailback. I hope the Browns get him, but not too sure we're gonna take a RB this year.

I absolutely agree with him as a high 2nd round prospect......he may not start from Day One at RB but he can provide help on special teams and as a pass catching back as he gets his feet wet in the NFL.

Patriots16-0
01-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I like this guy. He has a amazing speed. He can be a late 1st round steal, by the Seahawks.

hitstreak13
01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I like this guy. He has a amazing speed. He can be a late 1st round steal, by the Seahawks.

Wow, first round? I wouldnt go that far. The guy is good, but there is no way he'll ever carry the ball between 15-20 times per game, although more and more teams are using a 2 back system. i just cant see him completely dominating a game to warrant a first or second rounder. I love his speed, dont get me wrong about that, but im just alittle iffy about taking him in round 1 or 2. He's had only 1 good year. On top of that, i believe he's career rushing average was barely about 4. That was a dissapointing statistic considering he plays for C-USA which is primarily a passing conference. He should have ripped defenses apart with his speed. Im going with 3rd/4th only because you cant teach that kind of speed. Its a safe bet.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I like him alot. He could be a good RB on the next level, but I think he will be a good KR for sure.

D-Unit
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Is he better than Jerious Norwood?

SeanTaylorRIP
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow, first round? I wouldnt go that far. The guy is good, but there is no way he'll ever carry the ball between 15-20 times per game, although more and more teams are using a 2 back system. i just cant see him completely dominating a game to warrant a first or second rounder. I love his speed, dont get me wrong about that, but im just alittle iffy about taking him in round 1 or 2. He's had only 1 good year. On top of that, i believe he's career rushing average was barely about 4. That was a dissapointing statistic considering he plays for C-USA which is primarily a passing conference. He should have ripped defenses apart with his speed. Im going with 3rd/4th only because you cant teach that kind of speed. Its a safe bet.

If someone was willing to take a 2nd rounder flyer on Chris Henry last year I like Chris Johnson much more.

hitstreak13
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Is he better than Jerious Norwood?

I dont think so. Norwood has averaged over 6 yards per carry in 202 rushing attempts over 2 seasons. I see Johnson doing alot of Kickoff/return duties for at least 2 seasons. Def. will never be a number 1 back. Like someone mentioned earlier, his talents will be utilized better with teams who already have big backs (i.e Brandon Jacobs)

D-Unit
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I dont think so. Norwood has averaged over 6 yards per carry in 202 rushing attempts over 2 seasons. I see Johnson doing alot of Kickoff/return duties for at least 2 seasons. Def. will never be a number 1 back. Like someone mentioned earlier, his talents will be utilized better with teams who already have big backs (i.e Brandon Jacobs)
That's what I thought people would say. So would anyone draft Norwood in the first or early second if he were in this draft? I wouldn't.

JT Jag
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Is he better than Jerious Norwood?I dont think so. Norwood has averaged over 6 yards per carry in 202 rushing attempts over 2 seasons. I see Johnson doing alot of Kickoff/return duties for at least 2 seasons. Def. will never be a number 1 back. Like someone mentioned earlier, his talents will be utilized better with teams who already have big backs (i.e Brandon Jacobs)That's what I thought people would say. So would anyone draft Norwood in the first or early second if he were in this draft? I wouldn't.Well, I'll answer that question with this one.

Is Felix Jones better then Jerious Norwood?

toonsterwu
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Part of me thinks Chris Johnson might be getting a tad overrated now. There's some murmuring of first round status, and while that wouldn't surprise me, I don't think he's that high. I think he's a 2nd round pick.

Now, the comparison to Norwood is interesting. I would say that Johnson now is a slightly better prospect than Norwood was then Is it enough to move Norwood from the early-mid 3rd (forget exactly, too lazy to check) to a 2nd round status? Well, that isn't really a fair question in some respects if you limit it to a Jerious Norwood comparison. For example, is Chris Johnson's value potentially better than Chris Henry's coming out? I think some would say yes. How about JJ Arrington's? A fair case can be made for Chris if he works out as well as people expect.