PDA

View Full Version : Foster and Woody benched, Calhoun to IR

Scotty D
10-04-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071004/SPORTS0101/710040373/1004

Jonathan Scott will start Sunday's game at Washington at right tackle, replacing George Foster .

Foster has been penalty prone. He has been penalized seven times; six were for false starts.

Scott took over for Foster in the third quarter of Sunday's victory over Chicago. Foster was benched after giving up a sack.

Scott was drafted in the fifth round last year. He started four games at right tackle as a rookie.

"It's another stepping stone to get better," he said. "You've got to like playing, period. It's amazing."

Scott has worked hard to gain strength. He weighs 330 pounds, 20 more than when he reported as a rookie.

"The weight room staff has really been working with me," Scott said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071004/UPDATE/710040472/1126/SPORTS0101

Stephen Peterman has replaced Damien Woody as the starting right guard on the Detroit Lions' offensive line.

Peterman started last week's game against Chicago, which Woody missed because of a rib injury. Peterman got a game ball for his performance.

Woody has returned to practice this week, but Peterman will continue to start, offensive coordinator Mike Martz said Thursday.

Peterman was signed by the Lions as a free agent in 2006.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071004/UPDATE/710040471/1126/SPORTS0101

The Detroit Lions put running back Brian Calhoun on the injured reserve list and re-signed running back Aveion Cason on Thursday.

Calhoun was used primarily on kickoff returns in the first four games. He aggravated a knee injury suffered late in the 2006 season, his rookie year.

JPLUFF
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty happy to see Jon Scott getting a start finally.

WMD
10-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Jon Scott is the man.. George Foster won't be back next year.. if Jon Scott doesn't impress for the rest of this year, we'll probably look at a tackle in Round 2 in the 08 Draft.

TacticaLion
10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Good to see this. I'd love for Scott to become a fixture on the OLine.

Doesn't this make you wish we asked for Bell/3rd Round Pick instead of Bell/Foster for Bly? Yeah, I know... easier said now than before.

Xiomera
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Calhoun can officially be labeled as one of Millen's very worst draft picks.

Worthless waste of talent.

P-L
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I hope Jon Scott starts the rest of the season so we can see if he is our future RT or not.

Scotty D
10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I like how they put the big names on the bench. You don't perform you sit.

Scotty D
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM

I think if he was actually heathly he would have been a perfect fit. We've just been unlucky with his health. Also it sounds like he re injured the torn ACL. Just does not sound good at all. Probably fighting for a roster spot next year.

P-L
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM

He's not worse than Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, or Charles Rogers. Calhoun never got a chance due to injury, those other guys got their chances and failed miserably.

familyguy555
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Foster absolutely blows. He couldn't block Merv Griffins dead corpse. (Yes i stole that from the Patriots spy video). I'm glad to see him sitting and Scott get a chance.

WMD
10-04-2007, 06:03 PM
What a waste of a pick Brian Calhoun turned out to be.. I don't even know why we took him in the first place.. I forced myself to think it could work out with Mike Martz as the OC, he'd be a nice little weapon for him.. Too bad.. He probably won't be on the team next year.

We basically traded Dre Bly for Tatum Bell now.. we definitely should have taken the Round 3 over him.. Considering how much Millen traded around in the 07 draft, with that extra Round 3 we probably could've traded back into Round 1 and picked Joe Staley.

LionSmack
10-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Turns out Foster will still start on Sunday, but will be on a short leash.

Xiomera
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
What a waste of a pick Brian Calhoun turned out to be.. I don't even know why we took him in the first place.. I forced myself to think it could work out with Mike Martz as the OC, he'd be a nice little weapon for him.. Too bad.. He probably won't be on the team next year.

We basically traded Dre Bly for Tatum Bell now.. we definitely should have taken the Round 3 over him.. Considering how much Millen traded around in the 07 draft, with that extra Round 3 we probably could've traded back into Round 1 and picked Joe Staley.

We should have traded with Washington instead and got Shawn Springs like they were offering. At least he would have started for us.

P-L
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Foster absolutely blows. He couldn't block Merv Griffins dead corpse. (Yes i stole that from the Patriots spy video). I'm glad to see him sitting and Scott get a chance.

I thought Foster has been semi-decent at blocking this year, but his massive amounts of penalties were inexcusable.

Scotty D
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I thought Foster has been semi-decent at blocking this year, but his massive amounts of penalties were inexcusable.

Do you think its due to his unfamiliarity with the offense? Maybe eliminate the penalties as he learns?

JPLUFF
10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Do you think its due to his unfamiliarity with the offense? Maybe eliminate the penalties as he learns?

I thought he had the same problems in Denver.

Jagonsucker
10-06-2007, 12:22 PM
**** Foster..he blows **** through a straw