PDA

View Full Version : Why no love for Chris Long?

DMWSackMachine
10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I haven't seen Virginia play live this year, but from the clips I've seen, his stat line (31 tackles so far, from a 3-4 DE!) and his reputation as a ball-busting hypermotored madman, as well as a couple of scouting services that rank him right at the top of the draft (even ahead of Dorsey), it seems like he should be generating more buzz as a top draft pick than he currently is.

So what is the general consensus? Is he seen as a low-ceiling type because of the lack of elite measurables? That's the only limitation I could think of.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best player out of this draft. He has the personality and character type that usually leads to success.

So why isn't there more love for him?

Maybe Scott can weigh in here and explain.

NIN1984
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I love him, but seriously I know some Raider fans that don't like him because he plays in a 3-4 and they don't know how well he will do in a 4-3. Probably a lot of people that feel that way

Paranoidmoonduck
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't see any lack of love for Long. Last I checked he was Scott's top senior defensive end, and every thread about him on these forums that I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive.

I think that right now people are waiting to see what his actual weight is, because that's going to decide a lot about where to peg him. If he comes in 280 or higher, some 3-4 that picks high is going to fall in love with him. If he comes in lower than that (I've heard some murmurs of him being in the 260 range), he might very well be better suited playing outside in a 4-3.

I really like Long, but I'm not sure he's as versatile as some are making him out to be.

D-Unit
10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I really don't like when people say, Why no love, when in fact the guy gets a ton of love.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Why no love for Andre Woodson? lol, anyways I'm sure most people haven't actually seen him play full games, as I have seen basically every game he has played in his career. Yes his motor is insane one of the best I have ever seen. Character is flawless team leader great speaker with the media. His biggest attribute is his technique. People who see him just every now and then think he's reckless with no structure but that's just him when he's going after the QB. His work with his hands are insane and he has every pass rush move you can think of. He can bull over or go around, speed rush will likely not be his specialty in the NFL but he is capable. His instincts are great, he knows when to put his hands up and has probably knocked down 10+ balls this year one leading to anothers INT and an INT of his own. Actually amazing though how he has a pick and UVA's other DE Fitzgerald has 3, and that's just from putting their hands up when they don't have a shot at the QB. He has blocked a couple field goals in his career. As others said the only question on him is weight and not blowing people away with his workouts. But he is for sure wayy more athletic than Carriker, and with his intangibles he will blow away teams in interviews. Doesn't hurt that he's Howie's son.

Pittbc7
10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Why no love for Andre Woodson?

are you serious? everyone is slobbing on him

toonsterwu
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
I love him, but seriously I know some Raider fans that don't like him because he plays in a 3-4 and they don't know how well he will do in a 4-3. Probably a lot of people that feel that way

I still think Chris Long is a better fit as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 end at the next level. His playing weight is supposedly in that 260-270 range. As good as a player is ... that's awful risky, 1 gap or not, to put a guy with that weight in any 3-4 front. Even if he puts on more weight for the weigh in, I still think he's better as a 4-3 end as I have high doubts if he can maintain that weight over the course of the year. I think people easily forget that, coming into school, there was doubt as to whether or not he had the frame to hold 250 pounds, let alone higher. The fact that he has makes me think he's nearly maxed out.

As for love, I think Chris Long gets a lot of love, heck perhaps even too much. I love him, as a UVA fan, but I think the talk of him being a top 10 pick in some areas is high. Ridiculously high? Probably not, especially considering this draft. But I think it's high. I think he's a mid-late first pick depending on how the draft fills out.

Aftermath
10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Bengals could draft him since we are trying to change our reputation.

Man_Of_Steel
10-04-2007, 09:30 PM
No love? He gets plenty of respect on these boards, he may not have a thread dedicated to him everyday like Gholston but he gets props.

JF4
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
are you serious? everyone is slobbing on him

Usually when people write "lol" after a statement like that they are being sarcastic.

10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
he has the production so theres no reason he shouldnt be a first round pick..hes gotta increase that sack total tho

B-Dawk
10-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Bengals could draft him since we are trying to change our reputation.

It's funny cause he reminds me of Pollack, a hard working overachiever type with a good attitude

Cashmoney
10-05-2007, 02:14 AM
ive wanted to see this kid play for a while now. he's playing here at mtsu this weekend too but i cant make it because im going to the UT vs. Georgia game. its a darn shame.

Green Bay Scat
10-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Earl Bennett, now he gets no love

toonsterwu
10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
he has the production so theres no reason he shouldnt be a first round pick..hes gotta increase that sack total tho

I don't think he has to increase the sack total. I think a lot of folks understand that the defense isn't necessarily designed for him to put up huge sack numbers even though they've adapted it to Long and Fitzgerald's abilities. 6 sacks in his role over the first 5 games, along with 6.5 TFL's, is a very good number, IMO.

keylime_5
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I remember doing a mock draft last week and at the 14th pick where I put the Raiders I realized Chris Long was available, and was intrigued...If Oakland picks and Baker is gone, and they lose Tommy Kelly in FA, they might actually have a shot at Howie's son in real life, and I think Long would be a great fit at LDE in Oakland to compliment Burgess. That would be a perfect fit IMO other than a 3-4 team.

Addict
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
He's gonna be one of those guys who flies under the radar this year and then turns out to be a fantastic prospect.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
It's funny cause he reminds me of Pollack, a hard working overachiever type with a good attitude

Except pollack ha better shuffle and cone numbers than a lot of DBS at the combine that year, which is why he was moved to olb, I don't see long as nearly that athletic although I do like him as le opposite a speed rusher

nhlkdog411
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
hmm so what makes him a hardworking overachiever? He came out of highschool running a 4.7, you don't think he's improved on that at all?4.7 is a good forty time going into the draft at his size, and he put it up coming out of highschool. Just cause someone has a motor doesn't mean its all they have, and like the other guy said, Pollack is another very good athlete who was labeled as just an overachiever...funny how that goes

Paranoidmoonduck
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I remember doing a mock draft last week and at the 14th pick where I put the Raiders I realized Chris Long was available, and was intrigued...If Oakland picks and Baker is gone, and they lose Tommy Kelly in FA, they might actually have a shot at Howie's son in real life, and I think Long would be a great fit at LDE in Oakland to compliment Burgess. That would be a perfect fit IMO other than a 3-4 team.

Tommy Kelly is probably going to be re-signed, but Oakland seems to fancy him as the replacement to Warren Sapp inside. Considering that the rush defense could definitely use a boost and that Long isn't a half bad pass rusher, I'd love it if the Raiders make that move. You just wonder if Chris will feel pressure playing for the Silver and Black and if he wanted to forge his own legacy.

nobodyinparticular
10-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Burgess plays LDE. That's all he's ever played in Oakland. Just semantics I know, but yeah...

SeanTaylorRIP
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Tommy Kelly is probably going to be re-signed, but Oakland seems to fancy him as the replacement to Warren Sapp inside. Considering that the rush defense could definitely use a boost and that Long isn't a half bad pass rusher, I'd love it if the Raiders make that move. You just wonder if Chris will feel pressure playing for the Silver and Black and if he wanted to forge his own legacy.

Well I'm sure he's felt pressure his entire career having to be Howie's son so I don't think of that as much of a problem.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I'm sure he's felt pressure his entire career having to be Howie's son so I don't think of that as much of a problem.

I have no doubt, but being drafted to the team where your father was a legend adds another spin to it. Imagine if Chris Simms was drafted to the Giants.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I have no doubt, but being drafted to the team where your father was a legend adds another spin to it. Imagine if Chris Simms was drafted to the Giants.

Well he sucks no matter what team he's on, lol, but yeah I know although being a Raider could actually motivate him even more, but people can't expect him to be Howie.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I haven't seen Virginia play live this year, but from the clips I've seen, his stat line (31 tackles so far, from a 3-4 DE!) and his reputation as a ball-busting hypermotored madman, as well as a couple of scouting services that rank him right at the top of the draft (even ahead of Dorsey), it seems like he should be generating more buzz as a top draft pick than he currently is.

So what is the general consensus? Is he seen as a low-ceiling type because of the lack of elite measurables? That's the only limitation I could think of.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best player out of this draft. He has the personality and character type that usually leads to success.

So why isn't there more love for him?

Maybe Scott can weigh in here and explain.

Its rumored he's 260lbs. That would put him in a tough spot. Because he's not fast enough to be a great 4-3 DE, and he's too small to be a great 3-4 DE.

If he's 290ish, Id love him in the 3-4. Especially a 2 gap system thats more concentrated on intelligence.

If he is in fact 260, I guess he can make a good base LE. Those type of players are a dying breed. But in the nickel, you'd probably have to move him inside and put a burner at LE for better pass rush.

draftguru151
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I really don't agree with that BBD. When Long gets the chance to rush the passer, and get in a stance so he can fire off, he is really quick off the ball and has a good amount of moves. He's not a monster pass rusher, but he definitely has the quickness to be a very effective pass rusher.

Vikes99ej
10-05-2007, 05:55 PM
If I want a 3-4/4-3 DE hybrid, I'll take Tyson Jackson.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I really don't agree with that BBD. When Long gets the chance to rush the passer, and get in a stance so he can fire off, he is really quick off the ball and has a good amount of moves. He's not a monster pass rusher, but he definitely has the quickness to be a very effective pass rusher.

I think because of his athleticism, that he will fall to maybe round 2. For me personally, I like him as a LE. He fits the mold of the dying breed. They don't make base LEs anymore. Long can be one of those guys.

If I were a coach, Id definately love a guy like Long on my team. I want to see more tape on him to see where I ultimately stand on him, but right here right now, I like the kid.

It seems that nowadays, when teams evaluate DEs, theyre all looking for that edge burning RE. The base LE type don't get as much love as he used to.

Sportsfan486
10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I think because of his athleticism, that he will fall to maybe round 2.

I basically see that as impossible barring a severe injury right now. He was very highly rated going into the season and is having his best season yet. There's really no way he'll drop outta the first round; even if he weighs in low he'll be a very highly rated 4-3 guy and if he shows up at 280 he'll be an elite level 3-4 end talent.

It's also entirely possible he does better than expected at the combine/pro day and shoots up into the top 5. The ONLY knock on him is his athleticism, if he puts in a 4.7 40 yard dash at 280ish pounds.. that's going to have people clawing and biting to draft this guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2007, 11:21 AM
He had another sack yesterday as well as a blocked field goal.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Today 6 tackles, 2 sacks, dominated the game.

Oaktown1981
10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
He must wear Silver and Black

SeanTaylorRIP
10-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Chris Long is starting to solidify a top 10 draft slot, people also underrate his athleticism. He will test out well, not freakish like say a Calais Campbell but he will have a 4.7-4.8 and probably rep around 30. He should also do pretty good in the cone drills because he has great quickness, but #1 is his personality/leadership, technique, and on field production.

Xiomera
10-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I would take him for the Lions in a heartbeat.

draftguru151
10-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Chris Long is starting to solidify a top 10 draft slot, people also underrate his athleticism. He will test out well, not freakish like say a Calais Campbell but he will have a 4.7-4.8 and probably rep around 30. He should also do pretty good in the cone drills because he has great quickness, but #1 is his personality/leadership, technique, and on field production.

Long most likely will run a better 40 than Campbell.

marks01234
10-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Long most likely will run a better 40 than Campbell.

If Long runs in the 4.7's, I think he is a top 5 pick.

I dount he outruns Campbell. Sure seems to play faster though

draftguru151
10-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Campbell probably won't run much better than a 4.8.

marks01234
10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Campbell probably won't run much better than a 4.8.

You would probably know better but I was under the impression Campbell would run in the 4.7's. At least that is what I heard he was running in practices, etc.

He looked pretty average in the few series I saw him against GT yesterday afternoon. Now given, I've watched Mario Williams and Meriman disappear for long stretches in ACC games but Campbell was getting almost no push.

ammandss
10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
No Love: First of all, most draft sites have Chris Long really, really high - like Top 5 high. I think that may be a bit too high. But point is that he is getting plenty of love.

Stats: As for his lack of stats, that seems to be settled this season. People complained he didn't finish plays and that's why he only had 7 sacks coming into the season. Through the UConn game (7th game), he has 8 sacks this season, about 5-7 pass breakups and is averaging about 6 tackles a game as a 3-4 lineman.

Athleticism: I think this goes more to timed speed and testing. On the first he has a great burst off the line and is super quick out of his stance on passign downs. He is strong for his size and plays athletically on the field.

4-3 v. 3-4: I think Long is a guy that can play both DE spots. I like him a little more as a 4-3 end in the NFL just because of his size. Also, Strahan didn't/doesn't have super speed but seems to do well as DE.

Size: I've seen him listed as high as 280 but he's definitely not 280. He's likely around 265 to 270. Also, his freshman year is a wash because he had mono and lost a lot of weight, down to 240-250ish. I'm not sure what his weight was pre-mono (senior year in high school), but whatever weight he is at now is fine - according to his play.

Mr. Stiller
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
You would probably know better but I was under the impression Campbell would run in the 4.7's. At least that is what I heard he was running in practices, etc.

He looked pretty average in the few series I saw him against GT yesterday afternoon. Now given, I've watched Mario Williams and Meriman disappear for long stretches in ACC games but Campbell was getting almost no push.

Chris Long should run between a 4.71 and a 4.82. that was his high and low this spring. He could better it, but I see him bulking up for the Combine and slowing a tad.

There are rumors of Campbell ripping off a 4.69 this spring, but I don't know how reliable

his spring fast was 4.78, Spring slow: 4.92. I think they'll time relatively close.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Everyone should watch the UVA vs Maryland game on ESPN 2, Chris Long is dominating through double teams, chasing down RB's and batting down balls. He now has 9 sacks on the season tops in the ACC, which is so impressive considering he's in a 3-4 system that is unfriendly to stats, he also has 47 tackles and 11 knock downs.

Scotty D
10-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Like Ghetto said Long is having a wonderful game. Is he starting to push Campbell? Production vs. Size/Potential.

cowboysforever
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, Long is playing 2-Gap 3-4 and he has 10 sacks this year?

Put Calais in 2-Gap and see how pretty he looks. Not.

Wow. I was blown away by him today versus a pretty big (good) line.

cowboysforever
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
. .......... which is so impressive considering he's in a 3-4 system that is unfriendly to stats, he also has 47 tackles and 11 knock downs.

And 10 sacks! In a 2-Gap?????

When was the last time a 2-Gap DE (college or Pro) had 10 sacks?

In terms of production/system, Calais is not in Long's class.

VAfy-ya
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Chris Long should run between a 4.71 and a 4.82. that was his high and low this spring. He could better it, but I see him bulking up for the Combine and slowing a tad.

There are rumors of Campbell ripping off a 4.69 this spring, but I don't know how reliable

his spring fast was 4.78, Spring slow: 4.92. I think they'll time relatively close.

40 times are the most overrated stat when evaluating DEs. That shouldn't even factor into anything. It's agility and lower body strength that should be the focal point of any interior player.

Having seen Long in person a couple of times, I'ma say he's naturally around 265-275 range. He's probably playing now around 268-272 lbs. He will probably bulk up like you stated, but I actually think that's not the right move. You are what you are. A 3-4 team should be drooling to get this guy. Put him at OLB and have his athleticism and non-stop motor wreck havoc on OTs trying to keep up with him. A 4-3 team can put him at DE and still have a solid player. If I'm a GM, he's weight is a non-issue for me. You put him somewhere around the LOS and watch the magic happen. But if I'm a 3-4 team, he's a OLB, not an DE. He has Merriman written all over him. Same kind of tenacity, motor, and athleticism.....and size.

VAfy-ya
10-20-2007, 11:28 PM
And 10 sacks! In a 2-Gap?????

When was the last time a 2-Gap DE (college or Pro) had 10 sacks?

In terms of production/system, Calais is not in Long's class.

He's motor is unreal. He splits double teams like nobody's business. But its his burst off the ball and his hands that just makes any defensive coach drool. And my favorite quote from Long:

"I play the way I do because I'm afraid. I'm afraid of letting my teammates down, my coaches, mostly the fans that come to cheer for me. I don't wanna let anybody down, including myself. I never wanna be the guy that gets outworked on the field. Nobody's gonna do more than me."

Who wouldn't love to coach that guy?

dcarey20
10-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Chris Long was nothing short of amazing tonight against Maryland, and he's been doing it all season long. He is the best defensive lineman in the country, better than Dorsey, and quite possibly the top senior prospect for the 2008 draft.

Crow
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
He must wear Silver and Black
I'm beginning to think the same way.
He's motor is unreal. He splits double teams like nobody's business. But its his burst off the ball and his hands that just makes any defensive coach drool. And my favorite quote from Long:

"I play the way I do because I'm afraid. I'm afraid of letting my teammates down, my coaches, mostly the fans that come to cheer for me. I don't wanna let anybody down, including myself. I never wanna be the guy that gets outworked on the field. Nobody's gonna do more than me."

Who wouldn't love to coach that guy?

Sounds like the guy I want on my team.

Bud from another board compared him to Aaron Kampman. Intriguing comparison. I could handle having someone of that caliber on my D-line. I just wonder if Howie's kid can make it as a RE. That's where he'd have t play in Oakland.

VAfy-ya
10-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Chris Long was nothing short of amazing tonight against Maryland, and he's been doing it all season long. He is the best defensive lineman in the country, better than Dorsey, and quite possibly the top senior prospect for the 2008 draft.

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

D-Unit
10-21-2007, 02:37 AM
I love Chris Long, but it's crazy how some of these statements come out everytime a guy has a good game.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Coming into the year, I thought Chris Long was a latter third of the first round type, perhaps a mid-first type. As big a UVA fan as I am, it still surprises me a bit to say that I think he's a top 10 lock now, and I don't see why he's a top 5 pick (granted, needs becomes a factor that high). I agree with dcarey - Long has been much more impressive than Glen Dorsey this year. In many ways, he's to UVA's defense what Brick was to UVA's offense. Both were good talents coming in, but not elite talents, but they worked hard and made themselves during their collegiate career. It is easy to forget that Chris Long was overshadowed for a bit by Chris Johnson (I think that's the name) his first year, before Johnson had to transfer out (bad grades I think). It's a shame Kyle Long is going to baseball, because most had him as a better physical specimen than his brother, and if he had the work ethic of his brother, that would've made for some fun battles.

I think the big question that remains with Chris is what is he? I still believe he's better as a 4-3 end, as most talk, as others have noted as well, is that he's in that 260-270ish range. Personally, I think he's better off slimming down a bit, be around 260 and ripping off a good time. Some rumors seem to think he can post a 4.6ish number if he slims down a bit, and while 40 times are overrated for linemen, that certainly would secure his value in many respects (and give him better draft security, with potential increased versatility). I just don't think he's an everydown 3-4 NFL DE ... maybe as a spot guy perhaps, but you don't draft a guy that high to be a spot guy. In many ways, he's the ideal cover 2 DE ... a guy who can get to the QB, but is solid technically against the run.

Actually, thinking about teams picking in the top 5, he'd make a lot of sense for St. Louis, assuming the staff doesn't get overhauled. He has the toughness that Haslett would want personality, while getting a good rush and playing the run well. Let Long/Carriker/Ryan grow together, and that would solve some issues for them.

I'm trying to think of a pro comparison ... and I'm thinking maybe Adewale Ogunleye.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 02:48 AM
I love Chris Long, but it's crazy how some of these statements come out everytime a guy has a good game.

I do understand what you are saying. People come up with "he's the greatest" after a dominant game. That said, I've come around as well. Sure, I overrated some UVA guys once in awhile (I think I've been fair of late, but a couple years back, I really liked Darryl Blackstock ... and I sure as heck didn't expect that ridiculous 40 time for Kai Parham). I really wasn't sold that Chris Long was an elite player coming into the year ... but look at this draft, and look at how others are performing. Out of the DL guys, Dorsey hasn't been as dominant as most would like, Campbell has been off and on. Granted, needs play a role, but I'm just not sure that, at this point in time, even if you tossed in all the juniors, that Chris wouldn't be in the top 5. Who else is there that is more deserving than him big-board wise? I mean, a QB, or two, will go high on nature of the position. But they don't really deserve to be big boarded ahead.

Guys I'd definitely place ahead - McFadden. That's it.
Guys I'd probably place ahead - Dorsey.

Granted, season's not over, and we'll see how the postseason shakes out from a draft value perspective.

btw, not sure if folks caught this article on Chris

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101802371.html

Crow
10-21-2007, 07:30 AM
That's a great frickin' read, toon. Thanks.
Not a surprise, really.

Read the hype, read the hype, watch him play and he plays up to his hype...

Fairly common, even if few players can maintain under the pressure of the hype machine.

Crow
10-21-2007, 07:31 AM
"He's a nerd," Kyle said. "It'll be Saturday night. 'You going out, Chris?' He'll say, 'Nah, I'm watching "Planet Earth," man.' He sits there by himself watching polar bears."
Damn......

cowboysforever
10-21-2007, 07:59 AM

Well if by everytime, you mean every time he plays. I guess he is earning it.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-21-2007, 08:04 AM
I think everyone loves him because all they knew about Chris Long is what they read from Scott and what some people would say about him. They probably were just thinking Adam Carriker good DE, but many saw him for the first time last night and saw he's different that's why they got excited, hey I've been riding him for the past 2 years now, also has a teammate I don't think I have ever seen a better teammate. He is a blue collard athelte who you will never see him take a play off. The one play when he was tired and couldn't get a good push he still ended up batting down the pass by just jumping and putting his hands up. He's really good at that, he does have an INT this year. He has made so many game winning plays this year or momentum changing plays.

Crow
10-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Put can he be a RDE in a 4-3? That's my main question.

Addict
10-21-2007, 09:10 AM

ummmmm no, he's very talented, deserves more attention, but he's not the top D prospect.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Put can he be a RDE in a 4-3? That's my main question.

I don't see why he can't. I still think, as a pro, he's better off as a 4-3 DE (I think he could handle both weak and strong) at a lesser weight. I don't think many really buy that 280 weight as something that he is either at, or something he can hold for the duration of a year.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 11:10 AM
ummmmm no, he's very talented, deserves more attention, but he's not the top D prospect.

I'm a huge fan of Dorsey ... and as noted, I'd probably put Dorsey ahead still, but that said, Dorsey really hasn't played as well as Long has this year. And you can call me on UVA bias ... but I think that's a fair statement. Long's been dominant ... on a team that really needed him to be dominant.

Geo
10-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Long has been my favorite defensive lineman not named Glenn Dorsey since before the season started. I'd had him pegged as a potential Top 10 pick, he's now probably Top 5 or just close with the way he's tearing it up. Superb motor.

I do think he's better suited as a 4-3 end, who can slide inside at tackle in pass-rushing situations.

ammandss
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Chris Long with 2 more sacks against Maryland, including a safety and 2 pass breakups. He also had 3 TFLs and 10 total tackles. And that's 10 sacks in 8 games.

keylime_5
10-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Long is a top 15 pick and a future pro bowl DE. I wish the Browns had a first round pick so they could have a shot at him :(.

Crow
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't see why he can't. I still think, as a pro, he's better off as a 4-3 DE (I think he could handle both weak and strong) at a lesser weight. I don't think many really buy that 280 weight as something that he is either at, or something he can hold for the duration of a year.
I wonder about his speed and his level of competition when I try to project him as a rush end. But, at the same time, I could easily see him being a Jared Allen type player. Not so much beating LTs with speed, but with a combination of everything else.

I don't doubt him at all. I just have to wonder. He'd be in for a huge transition.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I wonder about his speed and his level of competition when I try to project him as a rush end. But, at the same time, I could easily see him being a Jared Allen type player. Not so much beating LTs with speed, but with a combination of everything else.

I don't doubt him at all. I just have to wonder. He'd be in for a huge transition.

Level of competition??? You can argue the ACC has some of the best lineman in the entire nation. I mean there are so many top o-lineman prospects in the ACC, Cherilus, Barry Richardson, Eugene Monroe, Will Barker, Chris McDuffie, Andrew Crummey, the list goes on.

VAfy-ya
10-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Well, considering he went against Brick for his first couple of years, he's had a great level of competition. And the ACC is no slouch as far as good O-Lineman.

The thing with Long is, last year, I actually thought he underachieved. He whiffed on alot of sacks, tackles for loss and he seemed to run himself out of alot of plays. This year, its like its all coming together for him. He's reading plays better, those whiffs are now sacks and tackles for a loss because he coming at the offensive player under control and breaking down his body better when going in for tackles. His hands are better and he's shedding offensive lineman as soon as the ball is snap. His run support has stepped up and he's taking on double teams and is still making plays, still dominating. He has just really progressed into a elite player at the college level, and I for one, didn't see it coming.......and I'm Hoo fan.

SenorGato
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I think his best pro position is as a 4-3 end.

Question to this board from another board: How would he work as a 3-4 DE/OLB?

toonsterwu
10-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I think his best pro position is as a 4-3 end.

Question to this board from another board: How would he work as a 3-4 DE/OLB?

I'm not sold Chris Long is an everydown 3-4 end in the NFL.

As for 3-4 OLB, I think it's an intriguing possibility if he slims down a bit to maximize his athleticism. I wouldn't rule out someone giving him a look in that respect. That said, I thnk some team will have snatched him up as a DE already, since as a 3-4 OLB, it's questionable if he's better than the Gholston's of the world.

MaddHatter
10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I actually think he's a great 3-4 DE Prospect and a solid 4-3 DE Prospect - I think he's the #2 DE this year behind Calais Campbell but that's not taking anything away from him

10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not sold Chris Long is an everydown 3-4 end in the NFL.

As for 3-4 OLB, I think it's an intriguing possibility if he slims down a bit to maximize his athleticism. I wouldn't rule out someone giving him a look in that respect. That said, I thnk some team will have snatched him up as a DE already, since as a 3-4 OLB, it's questionable if he's better than the Gholston's of the world.

interesting possibility but i think he can be a stud in this league as a 3-4 DE and definitely warrants being a top 10 draft pick

princefielder28
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Coming into the year, I thought Chris Long was a latter third of the first round type, perhaps a mid-first type. As big a UVA fan as I am, it still surprises me a bit to say that I think he's a top 10 lock now, and I don't see why he's a top 5 pick (granted, needs becomes a factor that high). I agree with dcarey - Long has been much more impressive than Glen Dorsey this year. In many ways, he's to UVA's defense what Brick was to UVA's offense. Both were good talents coming in, but not elite talents, but they worked hard and made themselves during their collegiate career. It is easy to forget that Chris Long was overshadowed for a bit by Chris Johnson (I think that's the name) his first year, before Johnson had to transfer out (bad grades I think). It's a shame Kyle Long is going to baseball, because most had him as a better physical specimen than his brother, and if he had the work ethic of his brother, that would've made for some fun battles.

I think the big question that remains with Chris is what is he? I still believe he's better as a 4-3 end, as most talk, as others have noted as well, is that he's in that 260-270ish range. Personally, I think he's better off slimming down a bit, be around 260 and ripping off a good time. Some rumors seem to think he can post a 4.6ish number if he slims down a bit, and while 40 times are overrated for linemen, that certainly would secure his value in many respects (and give him better draft security, with potential increased versatility). I just don't think he's an everydown 3-4 NFL DE ... maybe as a spot guy perhaps, but you don't draft a guy that high to be a spot guy. In many ways, he's the ideal cover 2 DE ... a guy who can get to the QB, but is solid technically against the run.

Actually, thinking about teams picking in the top 5, he'd make a lot of sense for St. Louis, assuming the staff doesn't get overhauled. He has the toughness that Haslett would want personality, while getting a good rush and playing the run well. Let Long/Carriker/Ryan grow together, and that would solve some issues for them.

I'm trying to think of a pro comparison ... and I'm thinking maybe Adewale Ogunleye.

Pro comparison........Aaron Kampman????

10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Pro comparison........Aaron Kampman????

ive always said that but some ppl on this forum didnt take it so well lol

SenorGato
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
interesting possibility but i think he can be a stud in this league as a 3-4 DE and definitely warrants being a top 10 draft pick

I honestly don't think he's big enough.

If he's 280, he's *barely* 280...and his frame is pretty maxed out.

He compares himself to guys like Kerney and Strahan in his interview with Scott. I think he sees himself as a 4-3 end too, and he'll be a damn good one.

toonsterwu
10-24-2007, 04:40 PM
No knock on Kampman, but I think Long has better athleticism. Similar builds, but I think Long has better quickness.

princefielder28
10-24-2007, 05:29 PM
No knock on Kampman, but I think Long has better athleticism. Similar builds, but I think Long has better quickness.

then thats makes it scary to think how good he can be

ammandss
10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Chris Long with 2 more sacks against Maryland, including a safety and 2 pass breakups. He also had 3 TFLs and 10 total tackles. And that's 10 sacks in 8 games.

5 more tackles and 1 sack (actually an intentional grounding). I would write more but I need to clean up the puddle caused by me crying after the Virginia loss.

11 sacks and counting...

neko4
10-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Im a Maryland fan but im willing to admit our line sucks, especially at Tackle.