PDA

View Full Version : NT Ryan and UT Carriker as our future starters? Haslett hopes so...

NGSeiler
10-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Here's a snippet from a Bill Coats article entitled "Carriker is in unfamiliar situations" where Haslett talks about being able to get Adam Carriker more reps as a three-technique defensive tackle because of the emergence of Clifton Ryan at the nose tackle position.

Still, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is seeing improvement. "He's [Carriker] a load in the middle," Haslett said. "You've got to keep repping him. He's a guy who hasn't played a lot inside, period. We played him mostly at training camp at the nose because we didn't know what Cliff was."

Fifth-round draftee Clifton Ryan has worked his way into the rotation at the nose tackle, so Carriker has been spending more time lately at the other tackle spot.

"Cliff is a really a true, true nose tackle in all the sense," Haslett said. "Adam, in the long run, will be a better three-technique. Hopefully, someday those two guys will be in there and those will be their jobs at some point, whether it's this year, next year, whenever."

One of the things I found interesting after reading these statements is how Claude Wroten's name isn't mentioned once. He was the guy the Rams seemed to be banking on to take some of those three-technique reps away from La'Roi Glover, but because of suspension he's the forgotten man. And should Carriker be able to permanently move over to the 3-tech, then Wroten remains a rotational guy at best.

toonsterwu
10-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Wroten is gone next year. At some point, the risk might not be worth it for them if Ryan plays well enough that they can rotate Ryan/Glover/Carriker in some fashion.

rockio42
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
with this DT rotation, how does a 3-4 sound to you guys?

i mean NT - Ryan or Glover DEs - Carriker & Hall OLBs- Little and Quenten Groves (Auburn DE) MLBs - Tinoisamoa and Witherspoon Ss- Chavous & Atogwe CBs - Brown and Hill

idk just a though