PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith...safety or corner?

foozball
10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Smith's athletic as all get out, and he's got good size for a CB, average size for a FS. My team, the Texans, need a FS and a CB...moreso a FS because we have more depth at CB (Fred Bennett and Jamar Fletcher). Where does Reggie Smith's skills translate better to, and how good of a FS could he be?

SuperKevin
10-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Smith's athletic as all get out, and he's got good size for a CB, average size for a FS. My team, the Texans, need a FS and a CB...moreso a FS because we have more depth at CB (Fred Bennett and Jamar Fletcher). Where does Reggie Smith's skills translate better to, and how good of a FS could he be?

i think nearly every team in the NFL would rather spend an early pick on a CB than a FS so if he has the ability to play both, they'd more than likely stick him at CB. it's easier to find safeties in the mid-late rounds

toonsterwu
10-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I think I prefer Reggie Smith as a safety for most schemes, to be honest.

keylime_5
10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Smith probably could be a good cover 2 corner, but he'd have to work on a few aspects of his game there too. I think he could play CB in the NFL, but would be a better safety. His strength is his coverage, not sure about his tackling if it's good, bad, or mediocre or what...but if he can tackle well he can be a great cover 2 guy.

Scott Wright
10-06-2007, 06:18 PM
A lot will depend on his timed speed. I'd lean more towards free safety myself, but either way he is a heck of a player.

foozball
10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
i think nearly every team in the NFL would rather spend an early pick on a CB than a FS so if he has the ability to play both, they'd more than likely stick him at CB. it's easier to find safeties in the mid-late rounds

i think this year is a bit different, because there is a severe lack of free safeties this year. the only other FS worth taking in the 1st day is Quintin Demps (Kenny Phillips doesn't count since he's a top 10 pick) and Demps may be a 2nd rounder, which the Texans don't have due to the Schaub deal.

also, the texans are so close to being a playoff team, and they would probably rather have some experience at CB than a rookie. they have lots of money to spend this next season, maybe theyll sign someone.