PDA

View Full Version : Five notes about week 5 (rant)...

TacticaLion
10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Five notes about the Skins game.

1.) We've gotta trade for Winston Justice, who is a huge upgrade over Jeff "I let people run by me" Backus.

2.) We should call more plays where Kitna actually throws the ball and less plays where he drops back, looks to his left, tries to scramble and gets hit. Jon: we know you want to be the leading rusher on the Detroit Lions, but let the running backs struggle with running the ball.

3.) We need to change our bend-but-constantly-give-up-the-big-play defense... because it's working to perfection.

4.) Instead of running a 2 yard play on 3rd and 3, try running a 3 yard play.

5.) Millen: I know you've tried to build the team "your way", but this whole "acquire talent everywhere but on the OLine" strategy just isn't working.

That game was completely horrible. The Skins are NOT that good. They rushed 4 the entire game... and Kitna was running for his life. Pathetic. We had chances, but our "high octane offense" ran out of gas. The only bright spot was that KJones ran the ball well... but that was it.

Fix the OLine, Millen.

bearsfan_51
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
1) The Eagles aren't going to trade Winston Justice. He's a young player they just spent an early 2nd on not that long ago. I agree that Jeff Backus is absolute garbage though. For all of the bad mistakes that Millen has made, giving him a massive extension was by far the worst. At least in the case of the bad draft picks he didn't already have proof that he sucked before he gave them lots of money.

2)Kitna answers only to Jesus. This is why he comes back from concussions and knows that the Lions will win 10 games this year.

3)Until you get some talent on defense outside of the front four it doesn't matter what scheme you run. The secondary you have isn't nearly talented enough to play man. They'll get torched even more.

4)Agreed.

5)Double agreed. Although as I recall you said the o-line was fixed when they acquired George Foster and Mutillo (or whatever his name is). So it's not just Millen that was duped by bringing in washed up nobodies.

TacticaLion
10-07-2007, 05:03 PM
1) The Eagles aren't going to trade Winston Justice. He's a young player they just spent an early 2nd on not that long ago. I agree that Jeff Backus is absolute garbage though. For all of the bad mistakes that Millen has made, giving him a massive extension was by far the worst. At least in the case of the bad draft picks he didn't already have proof that he sucked before he gave them lots of money.

2)Kitna answers only to Jesus. This is why he comes back from concussions and knows that the Lions will win 10 games this year.

3)Until you get some talent on defense outside of the front four it doesn't matter what scheme you run. The secondary you have isn't nearly talented enough to play man. They'll get torched even more.

4)Agreed.

5)Double agreed. Although as I recall you said the o-line was fixed when they acquired George Foster and Mutillo (or whatever his name is). So it's not just Millen that was duped by bringing in washed up nobodies.

5.) No one could've guessed that Backus would get this much worse than last year (and he was baaaad last year). With a good LT, the line would be much, much better. Mulitalo is doing OK, and Peterman is a pleasant surprise, but Foster can't control himself and Woody's time here is done.

And Kitna needs to get rid of the ball. In the first two games, he used his checkdowns. After that, I've just seen him get scared and throw the ball away (or get sacked).

WMD
10-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I didn't think the O-Line was going to be good, but I thought they'd at least be "okay".. Not this bad though.

Iamcanadian
10-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Millen has consistantly tried to upgrade the OL through FA. I've lost count of how many FA OLmen he has brought in.
Backus would be a solid RT but is hardly more than adaquate at LT. Millen doesn't seem to know that an OL starts with a solid LT. Find one and the rest of the OL becomes easy to build.
I've said all along that our defense is very weak and easily dominated by any team that can both pass and run the ball.
I've also said all along that our offense is limited by Kitna's arm strength, it makes him vulernable to turning the ball over when pressured or in the red zone.
I give the team a bye in its game with Washington, they have owned us forever and this game was in Washington. However, we actually have been fairly consistant this year in beating teams we should win against and in this weak Division with our ridiculously easy schedule, a Division crown is still within our possibility.

Jagonsucker
10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Millen has consistantly tried to upgrade the OL through FA. I've lost count of how many FA OLmen he has brought in.
Backus would be a solid RT but is hardly more than adaquate at LT. Millen doesn't seem to know that an OL starts with a solid LT. Find one and the rest of the OL becomes easy to build.
I've said all along that our defense is very weak and easily dominated by any team that can both pass and run the ball.
I've also said all along that our offense is limited by Kitna's arm strength, it makes him vulernable to turning the ball over when pressured or in the red zone.
I give the team a bye in its game with Washington, they have owned us forever and this game was in Washington. However, we actually have been fairly consistant this year in beating teams we should win against and in this weak Division with our ridiculously easy schedule, a Division crown is still within our possibility.

ridiculously easy schedual? Dallas, KC, Chargers, Packers twice, still gotta go into CHi town and Minne, NYG, Buccs, Broncos...All these teams despite having their struggles early on this season will destroy the Lions, i really only seeing us winning 2 more games.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I kinda feel bad that they are getting all the unwarrented hype. I mean i know they have showed some promise in the first few games, but the fact of the matter is they still are not a good team. As collective units the secondary and O-line are two of the worst in the NFL. We can't run the ball, and there is no way Kitna is a good enough QB to get us to the playoffs without being able to run the ball.

Also did anyone hear the announcers saying how the Martz system is one where the QB will take more sacks?? I mean i understand why and all, but with this O-line that is going to be a huge liability. How can we possible succeed with a offense that relies on timing if a team can rush 4 all game and disrupt it so effectively. With our team putting themselves in 2nd and 3rd and longs there is no chance of victory. This is made worse because we can't run the ball, so we can't even get 4 yards running the ball on first down.

I don't know with this team. I can only hope they were looking forward to the buy week so they werent focused. That is probably not the case though and this was the true representation of what this team will be for the remainder of the year.

Honestly I wish the Fords would sell the team. I'm just not sure with them owning it, it will ever be a winning organization. I don't ever see them being around and turning the franchise into a dynasty.

P-L
10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Honestly I wish the Fords would sell the team. I'm just not sure with them owning it, it will ever be a winning organization. I don't ever see them being around and turning the franchise into a dynasty.

The Fords should move the team and we should get an expansion team.

But seriously, watching the OL play is just pitiful. They are awful. I had to turn to the New England / Cleveland game yesterday because I got sick of watching the OL get abused.

TacticaLion
10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
The Fords should move the team and we should get an expansion team.

But seriously, watching the OL play is just pitiful. They are awful. I had to turn to the New England / Cleveland game yesterday because I got sick of watching the OL get abused.

I watched Backus get tossed to the ground 9-10 times.

What a joke.

Addict
10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I watched it via gamecenter and it already looked horrible.

WMD
10-09-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm with you Jag on that.. I only see two more victories. We could sneak a couple out, but the rest of our games are against teams with a Good/Great offense, a quality defense, or teams that are tough at home..

Iamcanadian
10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
It never stops amazing me how fans lose it after a loss and go nuts after a win. Our OL isn't the real problem. Kitna isn't a nimble QB and we have a RT playing LT for us. Since we pass so much, teams tee off on the pass rush and come after Kitna practically on every play which would put a stress on any OL nevermind ours who has Backus as our LT. If Backus was playing RT on a team that has a more balanced attack, he would probably be an All Pro but he is miscast as a LT. What is worse is that Millen is paying him top dollar which makes getting a solid LT in the draft almost impossible.
I'm not worried about our offense, it will score points in most games although it is very limited by Kitna. I'm much more concerned about our defense which is very vulnerable to a decent QB who has a good running attack. I doubt we can defeat anybody who has that combination.

Iamcanadian
10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm with you Jag on that.. I only see two more victories. We could sneak a couple out, but the rest of our games are against teams with a Good/Great offense, a quality defense, or teams that are tough at home..

I don't fully agree. I think we can win 9 games if we get a little lucky. Remember, this is our year, with Martz possibly gone after the season and Kitna close to retirement, it is all downhill after this season.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't fully agree. I think we can win 9 games if we get a little lucky. Remember, this is our year, with Martz possibly gone after the season and Kitna close to retirement, it is all downhill after this season.

Haha...you are the most depressing person I've ever met. Even when you try to be optomistic it ends with some cryptic message. Lions fans. I love it.

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm not worried about our offense, it will score points in most games although it is very limited by Kitna. I'm much more concerned about our defense which is very vulnerable to a decent QB who has a good running attack. I doubt we can defeat anybody who has that combination.I'm actually impressed by our defense. We're "bend-but-don't-break"... and forced the Skins to sustain long drives to score on us. Not only that, but we get a fair amount of takeaways. Sims has been great, Alexander has been pleasant and others have played well (but our DLine NEEDS to get more pressure).

It's our offense that concerns me. Kitna is getting WAY too much pressure and the run game isn't consistent yet. If he faces constant pressure for the rest of the season, it'll be hard for us to win any games.

The defense will get stops, but the offense needs to put points on the board for us to be successful.

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Haha...you are the most depressing person I've ever met. Even when you try to be optomistic it ends with some cryptic message. Lions fans. I love it.
Eaaasy... IAC is an anomaly. He is negative through his positivity, whereas the rest of us are usually just negative or just positive.

You can't group him in with other "normal" Lions' fans.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
The bad thing is the bend but don't break philosophy is kinda useless when your they are constantly bending because our offense can't seem to stay on the field.

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
The bad thing is the bend but don't break philosophy is kinda useless when your they are constantly bending because our offense can't seem to stay on the field.

Yep. The offense needs to produce to make it easier on the defense.

Iamcanadian
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Ya, we beat you which pretty much describes the Bears season this year. We beat mediocre teams but cannot beat playoff calibre teams so where does that leave your Bears??? Going nowhere fast!!! H...mmmm Greise, Benson and a aging OL, good luck, your team is going to need it because on offense your right there with Minny with far less potential. Goodbye Chicago, see you in about 3 years at the top of our division and back in the playoffs. Is that negative enough for you or do you want more. Ha, Ha.

JPLUFF
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM

It's the end result of constantly getting one's hopes up rooting for a perennial loser. That's why it sucks being a Lions fan.

Addict
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I hate it when people say the lions are inconsistent we've been consistently losing for years now