PDA

View Full Version : NFLDC, Settle this argument...

D-Fence
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Got in this argument on another board, figured there was no better place to ask for unbiased, informed opinions...

Darren McFadden coming out after this season...Or Ricky Williams coming out back in 1998. Which is the better college football RB, and which is the better prospect coming out?

10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
as much as i want to say darren mcfadden the hype isnt nearly as close to what ricky got back in 98...better prospect comin out mcfadden. ricky got more hype cuz he played at a winning program at texas compared to an average arkansas team.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Ricky Williams got a lot of hype, but we have yet to see exactly how much McFadden gets. I think McFadden might be the slightly better college player, but it's tough to say before he even finishes his junior season.

As for who is the better prospect, a lot is going to come down to the kind of times and number McFadden posts at the combine or at his pro day.

Turtlepower
10-08-2007, 01:21 AM
No one likes to agree with me on this, but I feel McFadden plays in as much of a gimmicky offense as Colt Brennan does. I feel both are very good pro prospects, but both of their numbers are a little deceptive. He is still the #1 RB this year and I do see him having a successful career, but not on an elite level.

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Ricky Williams was the better college running back.

Darren McFadden is the better pro prospect.

Crow
10-08-2007, 06:04 AM
No one likes to agree with me on this, but I feel McFadden plays in as much of a gimmicky offense as Colt Brennan does. I feel both are very good pro prospects, but both of their numbers are a little deceptive. He is still the #1 RB this year and I do see him having a successful career, but not on an elite level.
I seem to recall similar statements being made about LaDainian Tomlinson.

Crow
10-08-2007, 06:05 AM

What separates the two as prospects in your mind?

underscore
10-08-2007, 06:26 AM

A dime bag?

Scott Wright
10-08-2007, 09:35 AM

McFadden has a lot more speed and big play ability.

RyanLeaf#1
10-08-2007, 10:05 AM
A dime bag?

hahaha thats funny.

Matthew Jones
10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd go with McFadden as a prospect - for the reasons Scott said, basically. He also opens up an offense more than Williams does - he can even take snaps at quarterback, as we've seen. Williams was basically a slightly better version of Cedric Benson coming out, in my opinion.

Man_Of_Steel
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Got in this argument on another board, figured there was no better place to ask for unbiased, informed opinions...

Darren McFadden coming out after this season...Or Ricky Williams coming out back in 1998. Which is the better college football RB, and which is the better prospect coming out?

Ricky Williams for me. I Ricky didnt have all his troubles he could have been an all-time great. If I were to build a RB he would look and play an awful lot like Williams.

toonsterwu
10-08-2007, 01:09 PM

better college football RB was probably Ricky.

better prospect would probably be McFadden.

Certainly, some will view things differently ... and it is debatable. But if McFadden runs well, he should be viewed as an elite prospect.

big daddy russ
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
as much as i want to say darren mcfadden the hype isnt nearly as close to what ricky got back in 98...better prospect comin out mcfadden. ricky got more hype cuz he played at a winning program at texas compared to an average arkansas team.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember this, but Texas wasn't much of a powerhouse when Ricky was there. They were just coming off the Akers/McWilliams/Mackovic era (a complete mess) and had gone through about 15 years of mediocrity. The highest UT finished during Williams' time on the 40 Acres was 14th, and that was during his freshman season. They finished 4-7 his junior year. They were just beginning their rise under Mack during Williams' senior year, so McFadden's and Williams' teams are/were about the same as far as national notoriety goes.

zCaddyz
10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
i like ricky cuz he could take a hit and give them out too mcfadden i love him but he runs upright and has small legs

no love
10-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I like Ricky because he just seems like the kind of back that you would hate to tackle by the end of the game. He is just a brick wall.

I think it depends a lot on your offense. If it were zone blocking I would take McFadden because he could be a Clinton Portis type back. But if you don't have a very imaginative offensive coordinator, I would take Ricky and run it down their throats.

secondeye
10-10-2007, 05:44 AM

I think a lot of people will pimp McFadden because of his promise and Ricky's demise.. but very few RBs had the promise that Williams had when he came out.

Williams was better RB in college, and will be the better pro-prospect if you totally ignore everything that happened to him once Ditka drafted him.

That said, obviously I think McFadden will have a very good chance to be the better Pro.

Iamcanadian
10-10-2007, 10:39 AM

How fast people forget! Ricky Williams wasn't even the 1st RB thaken in the 1999 draft. Edgerrin James was drafted before him by Indy. McFadden has a legit shot at going #1 overall, Williams was drafted #5. McFadden is a game breaker with his size and speed while Williams was more of a plugger. It's a very hard call as to who will be the better pro since McFadden hasn't played yet but on paper he's the better prospect simply because he appears to be able to do it all, and with top end speed, his ceiling is higher.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Agreed, but McFadden is only a slightly better prospect.

big daddy russ
10-15-2007, 03:43 AM
How fast people forget! Ricky Williams wasn't even the 1st RB thaken in the 1999 draft. Edgerrin James was drafted before him by Indy. McFadden has a legit shot at going #1 overall, Williams was drafted #5. McFadden is a game breaker with his size and speed while Williams was more of a plugger. It's a very hard call as to who will be the better pro since McFadden hasn't played yet but on paper he's the better prospect simply because he appears to be able to do it all, and with top end speed, his ceiling is higher.

Williams was actually the better prospect, but Edge fit into Indy's scheme much better. Bill Polian drafted Edge because he had much better hands than Williams.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Does anyone think McFadden will get 1850+ and 16 TD's behind a pretty average o-line? Sure he's going to have a much better career than Ricky... there's basically no doubt in my mind... but at his peak, would he be a better player?

Ricky was a bad man when he wanted to be.

Dolfan2788
10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't think McFadden will ever reach the heights that Ricky could reach. Few players can. I count maybe LJ, LT, Ricky and maybe AD in that category in recent time alone.

Iamcanadian
10-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Williams was actually the better prospect, but Edge fit into Indy's scheme much better. Bill Polian drafted Edge because he had much better hands than Williams.

Or perhaps Bill Polian was a better judge of talent and character and saw that James would make the better pro. Who says Williams was ranked higher, the news media and a few draft guru's???

big daddy russ
10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Does anyone think McFadden will get 1850+ and 16 TD's behind a pretty average o-line? Sure he's going to have a much better career than Ricky... there's basically no doubt in my mind... but at his peak, would he be a better player?

Ricky was a bad man when he wanted to be.

Yes sir. Ran behind a pathetic line his first couple of years in NO and was still one of the most feared runners in the league.

Or perhaps Bill Polian was a better judge of talent and character and saw that James would make the better pro. Who says Williams was ranked higher, the news media and a few draft guru's???

...and NFL GM's, and Mel Kiper, and tons of other people. It was pretty much a consensus.

ESPN did an interview with one of Polian's assistants during that draft who admitted that Edge was drafted to fill a role.