PDA

View Full Version : No Class

nfrillman
10-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I am guessing that most of you have seen that Trent Green got severely hurt today. The play was a broken play. I believe the play was an end around, but there was nothing there. The WR stopped and began to reverse field. A defensive lineman was in pursuit of the WR. Green came across the field to make a block. He lowered his body and effectively took his man out of the play, but the dlineman's knee hit Green in the head. Green was laying motionless on the ground and the Houston defensive lineman got up and taunted a motionless Green. That may have been the most disgusting act I have seen someone do in a football game. I am not sure if this is threadworthy, but I feel it is. I just thought I would inform everyone of one of the lowest class moves to ever happen in the NFL.

Shiver
10-07-2007, 11:54 PM
While Travis Johnson is an idiot, and his actions and words definitely convey that, I do see why he was so mad. Trent Green made a stupid and cheap play.

Geo
10-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Absoutely an illegal block by Trent Green and he got what he deserved. Just like last year, when he could have gone out of bounds but foolishly didn't. I can't feel sympathy for the guy for making boneheaded decisions.

At least go above the knee, for the thigh area. Cripes. Johnson is luckily he wasn't seriously injured.

BigDawg819
10-08-2007, 12:03 AM
If someone was putting your career in jeopardy with a cheap cut block you would be angry too.

adschofield
10-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Absoutely an illegal block by Trent Green and he got what he deserved. Just like last year, when he could have gone out of bounds but foolishly didn't. I can't feel sympathy for the guy for making boneheaded decisions.

At least go above the knee, for the thigh area. Cripes. Johnson is luckily he wasn't seriously injured.

Wow...He got what he deserved? Are you joking, first of all, last year he began his slide and Geathers hit him on the way down, how did he deserve that? Also, even though it was illegal, how does he deserve a concussion...That's like saying a lineman who gets called for holding deserves a broken hand. He's just playing football, you can't fault the guy for that

bearsfan_51
10-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I said this in the previous thread, quarterbacks block like this all the time. If Brett Favre made that play he'd be considered a team player and "gritty".

Shiver
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM
If someone was putting your career in jeopardy with a cheap cut block you would be angry too.

Exactly the right point here. Green's play was bone-headed in two ways:

1. it was a cheap shot, in the vein of Warren Sapp on Chad Clifton, George Foster on Tony Williams, etc. Completely unnecessary blind side cut blocking.

2. Why is a QB with concussion issues going down low on someone?

energizerbunny
10-08-2007, 12:16 AM
i agree, he got what he deserved, if you dive at another mans knees you deserve what ever you get. Now did he deserve to get taunted? probaly not but I can defiantly see Johnson's frustrations for Green diving at his knees. What if he would have broken Johnson leg on the block?

After loooking further at the tape Johnson had every right to taunt him, and i'm actually shocked Johnson didn't break his leg, as that is the angle cut blocks usually cause the break.

Geo
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM
If he didn't go low in the first place, his head wouldn't have collided full-on with a defensive tackle's knee.

As for last year, Green absolutely could have gone out of bounds. But he chose to stay inside and more importantly slide late.

If you want to feel sorry for the guy for getting ****ed up thanks to his decisions, fine. Go for it. I'm not however, Green was fully and absolutely responsible for putting himself in both situations where he ended up being taken away on a stretcher. Situations which he easily could have and are regularly avoided in the league today.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 12:20 AM
After loooking further at the tape Johnson had every right to taunt him, and i'm actually shocked Johnson didn't break his leg, as that is the angle cut blocks usually cause the break.

Had Johnson's leg been planted it's possible that both he and Green's careers would have been ended because of one play.

T-RICH49
10-08-2007, 12:20 AM
It was classless plain and simple.cheap shot or not is'nt the point.to say someone deserved to get carried off the field on a stretcher is sad and ridiculous.I wish Trent nothing but the best and Travis Johnson well let's say he beeter hope noone reacts the same way if that was him in that same situation

energizerbunny
10-08-2007, 12:24 AM
It was classless plain and simple.cheap shot or not is'nt the point.to say someone deserved to get carried off the field on a stretcher is sad and ridiculous.I wish Trent nothing but the best and Travis Johnson well let's say he beeter hope noone reacts the same way if that was him in that same situation

Well, basically Green tried to cheap shot Johnson and he ended up being the one hurt. If you have ever played football and been cut blocked going full speed from the side or even straight ahead you would know the frustration/anger Johnson felt on that play. He was probally overjoyed that Green was hurt on that play because he attempted one of the dirtiest things you can do on the field.

Geo
10-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Let me state that I obviously hope Green recovers fully and immediately. But the result was what it was, in both cases, thanks to Green himself, I feel.

This wasn't roided-up Shawne Merriman ending Priest Holmes' career with a neck injury.

49ersfan_87
10-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I've lost all respect for Travis Johnson. You just don't taunt a motionless player on the ground, regardless of what they did to you. And the stupid comments he made after the game, like "God don't like ugly" really make me question his intelligence.

Brent
10-08-2007, 12:47 AM
I think both were in the wrong. Trent tried to throw an illegal block and Travis was acting like an ass. With that said, what Travis did was rather deplorable.

jared
10-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Are you serious? How was that illegal exactly? Johnson wasn't engaged with another blocker and Green didn't hit him from behind. Green hit him squarely in the front of his outside leg, that's not a blindside. TJ not seeing him coming because he was looking upfield doesn't make it cheap. There was no flag thrown on Trent Green, there was one thrown on Travis Johnson. Consider that a QB running at full speed is trying to block a 300 lb DL running at full speed and coming from a different angle. To try and speculate that Trent Green (someone who virtually never blocks) was trying to deliberately hit Travis Johnson's knees (the difference between hitting a knee and hitting a shin or a thigh is only a couple inches) is RIDICULOUS. He was probably just aiming in the general vicinity and we saw the result. It wasn't a cheap shot and it wasn't illegal. Personally I admire a QB who has the balls and the competitive spirit to try and throw a block on a defensive tackle. I can't even believe people are defending Johnson's actions.

Also, from a "poor Defensive Lineman's legs" standpoint, how is a cut block any different (in terms of propensity to cause injury) than a defender diving at a running back's legs to make a tackle?

TitanHope
10-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I agree with BrentN.

Trent Green went for Travis Johnson's legs. Johsnon wasn't looking, and Green dipped his shoulder and took him down. It was a cheap shot.

Then, Johnson shouldn't have gone off on a motionless Green. But if there's one way to piss off a D-Line men, it's to go after his legs. It was an act taken while Johnson was in a moment of anger.

I do not feel sorry to Trent Green. This is football, and due to the contact in it, you are liable to get hurt. Green knows this, and was the one who put himself in the position to get hurt while performing a cheap shot on an opposing player. Plus, what if that hit tore Johnson's knee up and he was out for the season? That could be a career altering injury, and for that reason, Johnson acted out. I don't blame either party for what they did, and I wish a speedy recovery for Trent Green, who I think, should seriously think about retiring.

Moses
10-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Exactly the right point here. Green's play was bone-headed in two ways:

1. it was a cheap shot, in the vein of Warren Sapp on Chad Clifton, George Foster on Tony Williams, etc. Completely unnecessary blind side cut blocking.

Bingo. I would be pissed too if I was Johnson. Somebody goes low at you like that and it could end your career.

iowatreat54
10-08-2007, 02:08 AM
first of all, how was Johnson a dick when he had no idea Green was unconscious??? I mean, when i first saw it, yea he was a dick for taunting, but there is no way that he could have known Green was unconscious...Green took a cheap shot at Johnson and after wards Johnson called him out on it...I hate the fact that the ESPN analysts are calling Johnson the "classless" player in the NFL because he yelled at a guy who basically could have ended his career...It sucks that green got knocked outta the game, but it was his own fault and no one should feel bad for him

Moses
10-08-2007, 02:13 AM
first of all, how was Johnson a dick when he had no idea Green was unconscious??? I mean, when i first saw it, yea he was a dick for taunting, but there is no way that he could have known Green was unconscious...Green took a cheap shot at Johnson and after wards Johnson called him out on it...I hate the fact that the ESPN analysts are calling Johnson the "classless" player in the NFL because he yelled at a guy who basically could have ended his career...It sucks that green got knocked outta the game, but it was his own fault and no one should feel bad for him

Ya, if Green wasn't hurt and Johnson's career was ended, who would be classless? Green would be buried by the media.

critesy
10-08-2007, 02:17 AM

basically took the words out of my mouth..

its not like johnson knew he wad dead on the field at the time being.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 02:18 AM
I didnt see it, can someone post up the video or at least a picture of it?

also classless is what Vince Wilfork did on JP, now that was horrible

Moses
10-08-2007, 02:19 AM

See below.

Moses
10-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Found one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhsrpAZ_a8

critesy

also classless is what Vince Wilfork did on JP, now that was horrible

somewhere in here im guessing

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8030f2c1

Moses

Oops. Messed up.

iowatreat54
Ya, if Green wasn't hurt and Johnson's career was ended, who would be classless? Green would be buried by the media.

exactly...I mean let's look at this, Green goes for a low/illegal block on a Dlineman, in what could be a career-ending hit, and it ends up giving Green a concussion because Johnson's knee hit his head...I completely agree that Johnson is a dick for taunting because I'm never in favor of taunting, but how is it Johnson's fault that Green decided to take a cheap block and by consequence his knee so happens to hit a concussion-prone QB's head...and then, because Johnson is a medically expert, he decides I should yell at this unconscious player because he could have possibly ended my career because he's an idiot...seriously, I understand saying Johnson is bad for yelling at Green, but in no way is he wrong in his actions what so ever...people should be pissed at Green for a horrible decision...especially since Johnson has come out and said he feels bad and respects Green, but he just made a bad decision

Green Bay Scat
I don't know of one right now, sorry.

Basically Trent Green dove directly at Travis Johnson's knees, making him do a flip and almost landing on his head. Green took a knee to the helmet and got a concussion. Both players were far enough away from the play that they were non-factors.

kinda like when Sapp Headbutted Clifton when he was just jogging?

Moses
10-08-2007, 02:22 AM
kinda like when Sapp Headbutted Clifton when he was just jogging?

Yes, although Johnson was a lot more in the play. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhsrpAZ_a8

You dive at a guy's knees like that and you could end his career.

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Yes, although Johnson was a lot more in the play. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhsrpAZ_a8

You dive at a guy's knees like that and you could end his career.

if green actually put more force into that block, yea he wouldve been hurt more, but it still looks like he hyperextended his knee, and that hurts too lol. i wouldnt say it was cheap, but travis catching up to ginn? wtf lol

BlindSite
10-08-2007, 02:39 AM
From what I saw Green was coming in and looked like he was trying to go lower than the knee, but not knowing hot to block properly more tried to slide on his knees and copped a knee to the head for his trouble.

IMO it wasn't intentional.

Cashmoney
10-08-2007, 03:22 AM
I think that even if the hit was illegal, trent green did not intend to hurt travis johnson. however, all of you saying that travis johnson didnt know green was unconcious, are you kidding me. it doesnt take a masters degree to realize that someone lying crumpled on the ground not moving is probably unconcious or worse.

Dolfan2788
10-08-2007, 04:31 AM
I agree with the guy above. Jesus Christ Green was lying motionless four 3 seconds before Johnson got over there and started taunting him. Yes I would be mad at the block as well but I'm not about to go and blast a guy whose laying there like he can't hear me. That was classless.

I'm not particularly mad at that anyway, what I am mad at however is Johnson's words after the game where he blasts Green. That is absolutely classless, everybody in the NFL knows that Green has had a very bad concussion and now he has another one that Johnson knew about and he made light of it and instead concentrated on calling Green a coward and a scarecrow. What a douche.

LonghornsLegend
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Johnson could of broke his leg, that was probably the worse place to get hit, especially with momentum carrying him thru the hit, without looking, he is VERY VERY lucky....and there is no way Trent Green should of even been in on this play, why? he knows his history, you dont need to be in there blocking a d-lineman on a reverse

BigDawg819
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I blame Cam Cameron, if he wasn't such a moron he would have taken basically anyone over Ted Ginn at the #9 spot and this would have never happened.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm a pro cut blocking kind of guy, however what Green did was wrong.

First, he did it from the side. If you're gonna do it, I'd do it from the front. What you try to gain from a cut block is 1. piss him off, 2. slow him down from that point on. Not try to end his career. Secondly, if you're gonna do it, you should do it within a second after the play starts, not while you're blocking for a reverse. Do you really think Travis Johson is gonna catch Ted Ginn? One pop would have had the same effect, and Green might have looked bad ass since the guy wasnt looking and a pop could knock him down.

Forenci
10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, I feel bad for Trent, I really do, especially considering how it ended up for him - but to say he was the innocent victim in all this is bull. I loved the half time show for the NBC game where that schmuck (can't recall his name) said Johnson was the 'worst player in the NFL' for his little song and dance.

If half of these analysts and reporters had actually been cut blocked, or hit late, or even played football, they would know the game is always 'in the heat of the moment', and a lot of times players get emotional about it.

So while I hope Trent is fine and recovers, I don't think he should be made out as a hero who fell to wrath of a mighty tyrant. Fact is, he shouldn't have been blocking like that. Who the hell calls a reverse like that anyways? Why would you knowingly put a QB who has concussion history in what will obviously be harms way? Meh.

PoopSandwich
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I bet he was pissed off, Trent went right for his knee, hes lucky he didn't blow out his knee.

Twiddler
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I feel bad for Trent, I really do, especially considering how it ended up for him - but to say he was the innocent victim in all this is bull. I loved the half time show for the NBC game where that schmuck (can't recall his name) said Johnson was the 'worst player in the NFL' for his little song and dance.

If half of these analysts and reporters had actually been cut blocked, or hit late, or even played football, they would know the game is always 'in the heat of the moment', and a lot of times players get emotional about it.

So while I hope Trent is fine and recovers, I don't think he should be made out as a hero who fell to wrath of a mighty tyrant. Fact is, he shouldn't have been blocking like that. Who the hell calls a reverse like that anyways? Why would you knowingly put a QB who has concussion history in what will obviously be harms way? Meh.

I can agree with this. Especially the analysts part.

jared
10-08-2007, 10:05 AM
He DID do it from the front. Watch it again. Green comes in roughly from Johnson's 10 o'clock and hits him squarely in the front of his OUTSIDE leg. That's not from the side. If it was from the side he would have hit him on the left side of his inside leg. So let me get this straight: Green, seeing that his man was scrambling around and trying to make the play should have said "you know what, Ginn's fast, he's got this one, I'm gonna go ahead and run of the field so I don't get hurt"? He went for a block because he's a competitor, and he paid the price, that's football. But to in anyway excuse Johnson's actions is nuts.
Once again: how is a cut block ANY different than a defender diving at a running back's legs to make a tackle? (in terms of likelihood to cause injury)
You guys are seriously overplaying the potential to injure factor here. The NFL has already looked at the block many times and concluded that the number of significant injuries it causes each year is minimal. Actually, "so minimal, it was unbelievable" according to NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira. http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100205/jag_19924406.shtml

PoopSandwich
10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Jesus, did anyone see Ronnie Brown's block and that play? PERFECT block.

Bigburt63
10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I dont consider it a cheap shot. green went from the front to go low, as most qb's rb's and wr's would probably do on a 300+lb dl. the only thing i can see wrong about the hit is that the helmet was on the knee, which i highly doubt was intentional given green's history of concussions. you're always taught as a football player to keep your head on a swivel, especially when the runner is changing directions like he was. I also feel that the tirade after the hit, although classless, was not completely unmerited. he felt it was a cheap shot and went of, as he felt it was intentional. the comments after the game, however, were extremely classless and uncalled for.

bernbabybern820
10-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I dont consider it a cheap shot. green went from the front to go low, as most qb's rb's and wr's would probably do on a 300+lb dl. the only thing i can see wrong about the hit is that the helmet was on the knee, which i highly doubt was intentional given green's history of concussions. you're always taught as a football player to keep your head on a swivel, especially when the runner is changing directions like he was. I also feel that the tirade after the hit, although classless, was not completely unmerited. he felt it was a cheap shot and went of, as he felt it was intentional. the comments after the game, however, were extremely classless and uncalled for.

Agreed. People are acting like they've never seen someone block someone like that. Those kind of blocks happen every time with qbs and receivers blocking linemen. Did you guys think that Green would try to lay him out going for the upper body?

Contr0versy
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Trent Green got what he deserved. . . That cheap shot could've ended Johnson's career; anyone would be PISSED in that situation.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-08-2007, 10:55 AM
as a former high school d lineman I can say that if anyone ever came at me knee from where I couldn't see them, they'd be extremely lucky if I don't notice them quickly and jump up to land right on their back knee first.

There's no better way to piss of a lineman than going for his knees when he's not looking, I remember a game were the other team was cut blocking and our coaches swapped in a quicker dline, so that we could just shoot their oline low while a full lb blitz came at them with our lbs diving over the dline to hit their line high, aiming for their heads, while we lineman took them out low. It was the only game I ever saw our dline coach lose his temper, he was a very nice guy won a golden apple for his work with special needs kids but not even he could contain himself when we were getting chopped on every play

Basileus777
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
It was an unquestionably legal block according to NFL rules. Its the kind of block qbs, rbs, and olinemen make all the time.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-08-2007, 11:05 AM
It was an unquestionably legal block according to NFL rules. Its the kind of block qbs, rbs, and olinemen make all the time.

Green came from out of Johnson's field of vision and put his helmet into Johnson's knee. I don't care how dirty you are that's still crossing the line

VoteLynnSwan
10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
i don't care if it was legal or illegal, if someone is lying motionless on the ground, you don't come up and taunt them. That stupid, and it makes you look like a jackass.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
i don't care if it was legal or illegal, if someone is lying motionless on the ground, you don't come up and taunt them. That stupid, and it makes you look like a jackass.

Agreed but it's not like green was in the right, both players were wrong there

OzTitan
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
It was an ugly incident all round but I do think Johnson had reason to be angry. Maybe I'm seeing things but I think he probably would have reacted more if it wasn't for the fact Green was motionless - he did seem to somewhat back out of it. I can understand the anger/emotion of it got the better of him, stuff like that would shake you to your core. It's called blind rage for a reason. It's unfortunate but I can understand how he may have felt.

Going off some reactions across the media etc etc you'd think he just sacked Green with a helmet to helmet tackle and knocked him out. THAT would be totally inexcusable to taunt. I think he is still in the wrong in hindsight but I have no qualms giving Johnson the benefit of the doubt on this and presume it was an out of character lapse of judgment fueled by anger justifiable by an action on Green's behalf.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
It was an ugly incident all round but I do think Johnson had reason to be angry. Maybe I'm seeing things but I think he probably would have reacted more if it wasn't for the fact Green was motionless - he did seem to somewhat back out of it. I can understand the anger/emotion of it got the better of him, stuff like that would shake you to your core. It's called blind rage for a reason. It's unfortunate but I can understand how he may have felt.

Going off some reactions across the media etc etc you'd think he just sacked Green with a helmet to helmet tackle and knocked him out. THAT would be totally inexcusable to taunt. I think he is still in the wrong in hindsight but I have no qualms giving Johnson the benefit of the doubt on this and presume it was an out of character lapse of judgment fueled by anger justifiable by an action on Green's behalf.

To me johnson's biggest mistake was not coming out after the game and just explaining that he was uncontrollably angry because he fealt like green could have easily ended his career and thought that the block was malicious in nature

T-RICH49
10-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I have seen OL do worse blocks then that.Johnson is a punk and sooner or later will get what he has coming

Moses
10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I have seen OL do worse blocks then that.Johnson is a punk and sooner or later will get what he has coming

How would you have reacted to that hit?

Geo
10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Let's not bring the Denver Broncos into the discussion ... ;)

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
it's one thing for an olineman to just cut the guy in front of him, that's fine, but to come from out of a guys field of vision and go for his knee is just wrong. Seeing how johnson was off balance anyway and couldn't see green should just run into him and that probably would have knocked johnson over.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
it's one thing for an olineman to just cut the guy in front of him, that's fine, but to come from out of a guys field of vision and go for his knee is just wrong. Seeing how johnson was off balance anyway and couldn't see green should just run into him and that probably would have knocked johnson over.

Exactly. Putting his head on the inside of him, getting low and driving would have most likely pancaked him, and that would look way cooler too.

BigDawg819
10-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Trent Green is a punk and Travis Johnson is MAN! :D

Green Bay Scat
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
people dont seem to understand that a 300lbs man on one leg is pretty easy to push over lol, i mean trents like what 210 at the least? he couldve easly just evened it out and just hit him high, and that would look cooler bringing a guy down like that, and to the people that say that QB do this block all the time, its true, when they are infront of them, its all to get their hands down, cant tackle if ur hands are protecting urself, thats the purpose of cutblocks on quick passes

Shiver
10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
The only reason cut blocking hasn't been outlawed yet is it helps the offense too much. The NFL is smart, they realize that offense is what drives marketing, sales and t.v ratings. That's why the horse collar is illegal and cut blocking isn't.

P-L
10-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Trent Green's hit on Travis Johnson was classless...

bearsfan_51
10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I will say this though...I definately laughed when I saw Johnson do a cartwheel in the air.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't have a problem with it at all. It could just as easily been Johnson lying on the ground with a career threatening injury. It was Green who was in the wrong here. Johnson is not obligated to feel sorry for a guy who had just took a shot at his knees. He had every right to be angry. The only jackass here is Trent Green. I don't feel bad for the drunk person who was injured or killed when they crossed the center line. I feel bad for the people they hit.

VoteLynnSwan
10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't have a problem with it at all. It could just as easily been Johnson lying on the ground with a career threatening injury. It was Green who was in the wrong here. Johnson is not obligated to feel sorry for a guy who had just took a shot at his knees. He had every right to be angry. The only jackass here is Trent Green. I don't feel bad for the drunk person who was injured or killed when they crossed the center line. I feel bad for the people they hit.

yea except Johnson didn't get injured... those people didn't die to use your analogy. Sure Johnson could have been seriously injured, but the one that was seriously injured was Green, not Johnson.

If the drunk person where to die in a situation such as the one you described, and the people he hit were to live, would those people then taunt the dead guy? Would people say he got what he deserved?

I personally wouldn't, i don't know about you though.

duckseason
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
yea except Johnson didn't get injured... those people didn't die to use your analogy. Sure Johnson could have been seriously injured, but the one that was seriously injured was Green, not Johnson.

If the drunk person where to die in a situation such as the one you described, and the people he hit were to live, would those people then taunt the dead guy? Would people say he got what he deserved?

I personally wouldn't, i don't know about you though.

If I were hit by a drunk dude and I lived and he died, I'd piss on his grave. Death happens. Not sure why some people choose to all of a sudden give a crap about somebody who died when they never gave a crap about them when they were alive. My reasons for hating somebody don't vanish with the inevitable occurrence of their death. And they definitely don't soften and transform into love and sorrow. But that isn't the best analogy.

What Trent did was deliberate. He was fully cognizant and knows better than to take a shot like that. I don't think Trent got what he deserved, but if given the choice, I'd much rather see him lying motionless than see Johnson writhing in pain with a career ending knee injury. Like I said, Johnson is not obligated to hide his emotions and feel bad for a guy who just made an attempt to mangle his knees. Had Green been ok, I would have no problem with Johnson walking over to him and knocking him out in a different manner.

Nitschke-Hawk
10-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I think Johnson took his response a bit too far, by hearing what I heard he said. He should have waited to cool down then comment. But he has a right to be angry. Trent Green made a really dumb decision to take him out at the knees. Johnson was as close blowing out a knee and landing on his head as Green was to be temporarily or permanently paralyzed.

Mr. Stiller
10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Did everyone only see the shot of Green going at the knee's.

Did anyone see the fact that shot left Johnson landing on his head.

He could have been paralyzed.

Crazy_Chris
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Pretty much what i was thinking when i saw the play... And i was surprised he didn't Break his arm when he was trying to stop the fall.

stephenson86
10-08-2007, 04:57 PM
hate green, tbh, im glad he got taunted maybe next time he wont be such a dumb ass

Crazy_Chris
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM
He DID do it from the front. Watch it again. Green comes in roughly from Johnson's 10 o'clock and hits him squarely in the front of his OUTSIDE leg. That's not from the side. If it was from the side he would have hit him on the left side of his inside leg. So let me get this straight: Green, seeing that his man was scrambling around and trying to make the play should have said "you know what, Ginn's fast, he's got this one, I'm gonna go ahead and run of the field so I don't get hurt"? He went for a block because he's a competitor, and he paid the price, that's football. But to in anyway excuse Johnson's actions is nuts.
Once again: how is a cut block ANY different than a defender diving at a running back's legs to make a tackle? (in terms of likelihood to cause injury)
You guys are seriously overplaying the potential to injure factor here. The NFL has already looked at the block many times and concluded that the number of significant injuries it causes each year is minimal. Actually, "so minimal, it was unbelievable" according to NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira. http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100205/jag_19924406.shtml

Actually i would say its being under-estimated. As he not only could he have been hurt during the block but afterwards too. When a 300 pound man lands on his head it's a reciepe for disaster but he is very fortunate to be completely alright.

Beans
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Add the arm to that too. Johnson got very lucky 3 times in one play.

I'm on the side of Johnson here. He should've noticed that Green was motionless there, but it was a cheap shot on Green's part.

iowatreat54
10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
am I missing something or what, but when did Johnson taunt Green? It looks like he just went over and yelled at him because he was angry at the shot Green threw at him...

Crazy_Chris
10-08-2007, 05:19 PM
that is the taunting

duckseason
10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
am I missing something or what, but when did Johnson taunt Green? It looks like he just went over and yelled at him because he was angry at the shot Green threw at him...

I agree. I wouldn't classify what he did as taunting at all. I'd say it was justified anger.

iowatreat54
10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
that is the taunting

ok well I just don't see that as taunting I guess, but I kinda understand how it is...I just associate taunting more of like celebrating as opposed to being angry and yelling at someone

duckseason
10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of taunting. I see at as something that is done to mock, ridicule, provoke or tease somebody. Things like that. It just appeared to me that Johnson walked over to him and said a few choice words to express his extreme anger.

iowatreat54
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of taunting. I see at as something that is done to mock, ridicule, provoke or tease somebody. Things like that. It just appeared to me that Johnson walked over to him and said a few choice words to express his extreme anger.

that's exactly what I thought...it looked like he walked over and yelled at him, which is what any athlete would do in a sport if someone took what you thought was a cheap shot...whether he knew Green was unconscious or not is a whole other thing, but one would have to assume that even though Green was laying on the ground that in that 5 second span or whatever that Johnson could not have known that Green got a concussion and was knocked out...to me it just looked like he was expressing his anger, which in the situation is completely justified IMO

Joeyjr09
10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I can't believe you all are saying Travis was right and it's Green's fault. Saying Trent Green was aiming for his knee and trying to injure him is rediculous. Look at the video. Trent slides down and turns his body and head the other direction to cover himself up. He was just trying to get the man down. Please Travis outweighs Green by 100 pounds. The only way he's gonna get Travis down is to go low. If he goes up the guys gonna run right thru him. It's not his fault TJ wasn't looking and he definately didn't intend to hit TJ's knee with his head. It was a perfectly legal hit and you see stuff like that all the time in the NFL on broken plays and especially on INTs. He needs to stop acting like a little kid and grow up. If Green would have gone high and been thrown around, you all won't be sitting here calling Green an idiot for not going low to make sure you get the guy down and not allow him to make the tackle.

I hope he gets a huge fine and I wouldn't be upset with a suspension either (although I doubt that happens). I don't think there's any situation where a player has reason to stand over and more importantly step over a player that is motionless on the field with an injury. What if that would have been a broken neck injury and Travis would have accidently bumped into him when he was standing over him? That could potentially life threatening. I hope TJ gets at least a game suspension for his actions and for his remarks following the game because he is a disgrace to the NFL. It was a legal hit Travis, grow up and stop whining like he was trying to hurt you.

I can't believe people on here are actually think a QB with no blocking experience wanted to break a guy's Knee with his head on a failed Fumble/Reverse. Do you know how rediculous you all sound. Trent was just trying to make a block to spring his WR and avoid a huge loss on the play. It's a legal hit by all the NFLs standards and Travis is the one that made the mistake by not being aware of his surrounding on a broken play. I mean we see big hits all the time on broken plays. TJ is a joke and a piece of ****.

Beans
10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
It all comes down to Green's decision, really. You can't look at the video and tell me that a normal block wouldn't have slowed down Johnson enough to take him out of the play.

comahan
10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Its a shame Travis is getting so much negative attention during the year that he is FINALLY playing well. Ah well.

I hope Trent ends up fine.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
to sum it up. Green made a risky move by trying to block Johnson. It was done such that it easily could have ended Johnson's season also. Diving at a players knee's when he's not looking? i mean come on, thats dirty no matter what position you play or knowing what the final outcome may be.

The play was a fluke outcome, but it easily could have been Johnson on the ground and Green fine and everyone praising Green for the hustle and effort to block a 300+ guy.

Should Johnson have reacted like that? Probably not, especially with the way society reacts and views such acts. Is emotion part of the game? obviously, and if other people were in his spot its hard to say whether you would or wouldn't have reacted similarly.

Johnson probably isn't the smartest tool in the shed, we can agree on that, but do i understand what he's saying in his random sentences? Sure do and i'd agree with him. Things could have easily landed him on the ground and not Trent Green.

Siding against Trent Green in this doesn't mean anything towards a person hoping he gets well or not, rather it is an overview of what happened. I wish nothing but the best to Trent with a speedy recovery (and maybe he should retire). But just remember, things could have been reversed.

bernbabybern820
10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I said this in the previous thread, quarterbacks block like this all the time. If Brett Favre made that play he'd be considered a team player and "gritty".

This sums it all up.

Joeyjr09
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
But just remember, things could have been reversed.

but things weren't reversed. Bottom line is that Travis Johnson was the one that was standing over an unconscious player that was not moving and yelling stuff at him. And stop making excuses for him that he didn't know Trent was unconscious or that Trent shouldn't have tried to block him like that. He didn't care for any of his actions on the field because he went on a rant after the game.

Trent Green is a good guy. I think we can all agree on that. Whether you think it's a cheap block or not, the problem with the situation is that it was not intentional to hit Travis in the knee. Believe me, I'm sure the last thing Trent thought was "Gee, let me throw my head at the huge guys knee". He was merely trying to trip him up and not get himself killed in the process by standing up against a guy that's double his size. You can be angry all you want for being hit in the knee but you have to have a heart and the presence of mind to realize the situation and notice that Green wasn't trying to intentionally hurt you. Green was just trying to make a play. He might have gone about it the wrong way but it didn't deserve the reaction that was given by Travis Johnson and it definately didn't deserve the tounge lashing the Travis released after the game.

Like I said before, Trent neck cracked sideways on the play. If his neck was broken (as we've seen with lesser hits this year with Everett) and Johnson does the same think and touches him, it could cause life threatening damage to Trent Green. That simply cannot be allowed in the NFL and Goddell needs to make that known.

PoopSandwich
10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I will say this though...I definately laughed when I saw Johnson do a cartwheel in the air.

That was amazing.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-09-2007, 11:19 AM
And stop making excuses for him that he didn't know Trent was unconscious

uh, i didn't say anything about whether he thought or knew Trent Green was unconscious.............

i'll let my previous post continue to show my views. we can agree to disagree, with whatever you disagree on.

Joeyjr09
10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
did anyone hear the latest news on this? Johnson went in for an MRI because he says he hears "clicking" when he walks. MRI came back negative. Wonder if that was a ploy to gain some simpathy for what he did. The hit on the knee didn't look nearly as bad as the hit his arm took on the way down.

Also Kubiak approached the NFL about the block and was told the block was completely legal and within league rules. Still somewhat surprised Johnson has gotten a suspention for what he did. If the NFL thinks the hit was clean then they definately should be giving out a fine for the reaction that came to what they deemed a clean hit.

Mr. Stiller
10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
did anyone hear the latest news on this? Johnson went in for an MRI because he says he hears "clicking" when he walks. MRI came back negative. Wonder if that was a ploy to gain some simpathy for what he did. The hit on the knee didn't look nearly as bad as the hit his arm took on the way down.

Also Kubiak approached the NFL about the block and was told the block was completely legal and within league rules. Still somewhat surprised Johnson has gotten a suspention for what he did. If the NFL thinks the hit was clean then they definately should be giving out a fine for the reaction that came to what they deemed a clean hit.

Johnson got suspended for getting a hit and being pissed?

stephenson86
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
tbh, it may have been a clean hit but that is the kind of hit that if it does cause an injury causes a very serious injury

if i was a guy of his size who is obviously not going to make the play and i get some poxy 37 yr old douche taking my knees id be so pissed and id react like him green is a douche i hate him so much

BuddyCHRIST
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
People are overreacting too much on both sides. Green didn't plan on going at his knee's and trying to injure him, he was just trying to make a block. It was a dirty block though. Johnson wasn't taunting him, he was yelling because he was pissed because a guy went low at his knee's. There is no way on earth he could have known Green was unconscious though, as he was yelling right when he got up. I can understand that Johnson was still pissed after the game, because honestly when did he have time to calm down? Throughout the whole fast paced, physical football game where anyone would probably just get more pissed?

eaglesfan_45
10-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Trent Green very obviously ment to do that and I think he got what he deserved just not to that extremity. Travis Johnson probobly didn't know he was unconcious at first and that could be why he taunted him. I don't think anybody would stoop low enough to tease an uncocious man. I do hope Trent Green gets better and he learns his lesson.

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Did you guys see how Travis Johnson landed? he could of ruined his knee and his neck on that play...I dont think Green intended to hit him how he did or hurt him, but it was stupid on all angles, of all qbs, he's not the one who should be diving at 300lb lineman at the legs, even partially...he should of ran out of bounds, no one would of gotten angry at him for it...

and Travis overreacted as well, but you can see why he was pissed, anyone in his position would be and should be, he just over did it, its still classless to say "**** Trent Green" so yes that shouldnt be disputed, its pointless to argue because it is what it is

Shiver
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Travis Johnson will not be punished any further by the NFL, per Adam Schefter.

TacticaLion
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Ha... wow. Good point. Especially against a player as big as Johnson.

What did he expect to come out of that situation?

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
how could Johnson, or anyone except Trent green, know whether green intentionally tried to end Johnson's career or whether it was a bad accident, the fact remains that Trent green dove at travis Johnson's knee from the side, and out of Johnson's vision, travis was lucky his leg wasn't planted or he'd be on ir as well. In that situation johnson has every right to be uncontrollably angry, espially considering that given travis's balance at that point green would've just as effectively taken him out of the play with a simple shove.

Smokey Joe
10-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with how Travis Johnson acted to be quite honest. It was a cheap block and woulda pissed off anyone. Plus, a D-Lineman's no. 1 enemy is the opposing team's quarterback. Add that to the fact that is is a football game and a lot of emotion is being involved, I could see a lot of people doing the same thing.

Plus, it's not like he knew Trent Green was lying there unconscious.

jared
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
If someone's lying completely motionless on the field, it doesn't take a PhD to figure out something's wrong. Maybe Travis Johnson thought Green was just taking a nap? TJ ought to know by now that cut blocks are part of the game. He also can discern whether someone is lying motionless on the ground (which would certainly imply injury). I'll give him a pass (barely) simply for being caught up in the emotion of the moment. However, his comments after the fact leave no doubt in my mind that he's a complete idiot. Because Johnson didn't see it coming doesn't make it a cheap shot. I'm sure Johnson would have had no qualms about absolutely blowing up Trent Green from behind on a QB sack. Gimme a break.
A lot of people keep saying it but I'm still waiting for someone to explain how that block was illegal. I'm no ref but it sure looked legal to me (apparently the refs agree since they didn't throw a flag). I'm also curious for someone to explain how a cut block is in any way different from a DB diving at a power runningback's legs to make a tackle in terms of "cheapness" or likelihood to cause injury. This is football buttercup. Injuries happen. The NFL did an inquiry and found cut blocks did not pose a significant enough threat to make a rule change. It's no more cheap (or likely to cause injury) than a DB torpedo-ing a defenseless WR that makes a leaping catch over the middle of the field.

Moses
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
If someone's lying completely motionless on the field, it doesn't take a PhD to figure out something's wrong. Maybe Travis Johnson thought Green was just taking a nap? TJ ought to know by now that cut blocks are part of the game. He also can discern whether someone is lying motionless on the ground (which would certainly imply injury). I'll give him a pass (barely) simply for being caught up in the emotion of the moment. However, his comments after the fact leave no doubt in my mind that he's a complete idiot. Because Johnson didn't see it coming doesn't make it a cheap shot. I'm sure Johnson would have had no qualms about absolutely blowing up Trent Green from behind on a QB sack. Gimme a break.
A lot of people keep saying it but I'm still waiting for someone to explain how that block was illegal. I'm no ref but it sure looked legal to me (apparently the refs agree since they didn't throw a flag). I'm also curious for someone to explain how a cut block is in any way different from a DB diving at a power runningback's legs to make a tackle in terms of "cheapness" or likelihood to cause injury. This is football buttercup. Injuries happen. The NFL did an inquiry and found cut blocks did not pose a significant enough threat to make a rule change. It's no more cheap (or likely to cause injury) than a DB torpedo-ing a defenseless WR that makes a leaping catch over the middle of the field.

Can you link to this inquiry about cut blocking not posing a significant enough threat to make a rule change? I would be interested in reading it.

diabsoule
10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
People are overreacting too much on both sides. Green didn't plan on going at his knee's and trying to injure him, he was just trying to make a block. It was a dirty block though. Johnson wasn't taunting him, he was yelling because he was pissed because a guy went low at his knee's. There is no way on earth he could have known Green was unconscious though, as he was yelling right when he got up. I can understand that Johnson was still pissed after the game, because honestly when did he have time to calm down? Throughout the whole fast paced, physical football game where anyone would probably just get more pissed?

I agree completely. That hit could have ended Travis Johnson's career and if you looked at the replay Johnson got up yelling. I really doubt Johnson was taunting him at all. It was a dumb move by Green that ending up backfiring. I feel bad for Trent Green but it was his fault for going after Johnson's knees. I hope Green recovers but it was his own fault.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think it was an illegal block, but that doesn't mean its not dangerous or dirty. If you disagree that just shows you'ge never played defense or seen a cutblock on the field. it's not just that it could physically bruise you, like a blindside sack, but it is a direct attack at one of the human body's most vulnerable spots, the side of the knee.

Joeyjr09
10-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't think it was an illegal block, but that doesn't mean its not dangerous or dirty. If you disagree that just shows you'ge never played defense or seen a cutblock on the field. it's not just that it could physically bruise you, like a blindside sack, but it is a direct attack at one of the human body's most vulnerable spots, the side of the knee.

Travis Johnson absolutely did not get hit on the side fo the knee. He got hit on the front of his right knee. Trent Green came at a 90 degree angle and cut in front of Travis Johnson path across the field. Go look at the replay. If Trent Green had not cut in front of TJ then he would not have gotten him onthe side of his head. In order for Green to hit Johnson in on the side he would have had to hit TJ square with the front of his body because of the angle he was coming from.

Here's the thing that bothers me. Trent Green hit Travis Johnson in the front portion of his body even tho he came in from the side. If Travis Johnson has the presence of mind to look at where he's running and keep his head on a swivel like your supposed to on a broken play, he could have avioded such a nasty spill on what was deemed a completely legal block and nothing would have come happened on the play.

I just don't see the point of Travis Johnson acting like a complete idiot after the game for a block that was 100 percent legal and that he knows he could have avioded if he would just listen to something that every coach tells their players about broken plays.

Joeyjr09
10-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Trent Green very obviously ment to do that

Yea Trent Green ment to throw his head in the way of 300lb DL's knee leading to a concussion that could end his career. Come on man, Green was just trying to throw a block. He didn't mean to get knocked out or throw TJ into a 360 degree cartwheel. Trent is a QB. He doesn't know the 1st thing about blocking. He was just trying to get down and get in the way of TJ.

Borat
10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Didn't Rodney Harrison cheap shot Trent Green in the preseason and take out Green's ACL in '99? It's a little ironic that Green would do that to another player after having it happen to him.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Didn't Rodney Harrison cheap shot Trent Green in the preseason and take out Green's ACL in '99? It's a little ironic that Green would do that to another player after having it happen to him.

You know what, I never thought about that.

jared
10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Can you link to this inquiry about cut blocking not posing a significant enough threat to make a rule change? I would be interested in reading it.

Sure, this is the link where the committee's findings are mentioned: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100205/jag_19924406.shtml

"Spicer and other defensive linemen have received a sympathetic ear from the NFL's competition committee since the Tony Williams injury, which sparked an intense review by the committee this offseason.

What the committee found surprised NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira.

'The number of major injuries [from cut blocks and similar blocks] was so minimal, it was unbelievable,' Pereira said last week. 'It wasn't what we expected to find. We didn't come up with the numbers to make us change the rule.'"

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
After looking at that again, I'm surprised Travis Johnson isn't out for the entire year. Green's helmet went right at his knee.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQhsrpAZ_a8

Jakey
10-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I know this is abit late but hell, that was one of the lowest things ive ever seen, i know ppl say that '**** Johnson could've been injured' but so what every player gets injured, its a part of football. Every time a player gets tackled or blocked they could get injured, if they dont like it they shouldnt play the game. I know Johnson was mad about it, but you still cant stand and taunt a man thats out cold, Johnson needs to put up or shut up.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Sure, this is the link where the committee's findings are mentioned: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100205/jag_19924406.shtml

"Spicer and other defensive linemen have received a sympathetic ear from the NFL's competition committee since the Tony Williams injury, which sparked an intense review by the committee this offseason.

What the committee found surprised NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira.

'The number of major injuries [from cut blocks and similar blocks] was so minimal, it was unbelievable,' Pereira said last week. 'It wasn't what we expected to find. We didn't come up with the numbers to make us change the rule.'"

That can't be any different from horse collar tackles, though. That's what I don't understand.

Moses
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
So are cut blocks legal outside of the tackle box? Didn't Green cut Johnson outside of the tackle box?

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
So are cut blocks legal outside of the tackle box? Didn't Green cut Johnson outside of the tackle box?

They will rarely call a cutblock on a QB, imo.

Joeyjr09
10-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I get sick on hearing "Travis Johnson's career could have been ended". It's all BS. It's football. Your career can be ended at any time by any type of hit. It comes witht he territory. Ask Kevin Everrett. I bet the last thing he expect was to break his neck on a routine tackle.

There are posts on thios board showing that the NFL did reseach and didn't deem cut blocking to be any more dangerous then any other legal play in the NFL. Travis Johnson needs to stop whining and show some class. He did a horrible thing by yelling at a downed, motionless opponent and then tearing him apart in interviews after the game. Travis is you don't wanna risk an injury, go find a desk job.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I get sick on hearing "Travis Johnson's career could have been ended". It's all BS. It's football. Your career can be ended at any time by any type of hit. It comes witht he territory. Ask Kevin Everrett. I bet the last thing he expect was to break his neck on a routine tackle.

There are posts on thios board showing that the NFL did reseach and didn't deem cut blocking to be any more dangerous then any other legal play in the NFL. Travis Johnson needs to stop whining and show some class. He did a horrible thing by yelling at a downed, motionless opponent and then tearing him apart in interviews after the game. Travis is you don't wanna risk an injury, go find a desk job.

going mono e mono is one thing trying to tackle someone, running trying to tackle a person and having someone go at ur knee(even on accedent) while u cant see it and next thing u know is that u land on ur head and your career could be over is another. Dont try to say anything about Tackling cause yes its a collision sport but that wasnt a collision that was an old man going low... also u say if he doesnt want to risk an injury? wtf are u smoking, everyone risks injury thats why they all play, and if say his knee gives out Jumping high and landing akwardly(Duce) that so be it, he could take it like a man, but if someone totally just comes at u uknowinly and takes u out, ur gonna be pissed, cause that could lead to a desk job

Moses
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

I guess we should allow players to hit already downed players too since they could get injured on any play, despite if it is dangerous or not. Nice logic.

Remind me of the last time somebody yelling or speaking badly about a player cost them their career. Then remember the last time a serious knee or neck injury did.

Raiderz4Life
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
idk if it was just me
but i found it kinda funny
mest up and sad...yes
but still kinda funny not that green got hurt
but how TJ just went and started yelling at an out cold trent green