PDA

View Full Version : Jason Shirley

BroadwayJoe10
10-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Jason Shirley, the DT from Fresno State. I heard someone talking about him the other week when I was at the BC game and complaining about how the Raji wouldn't be in the draft this year and someone told me to check out this Shirley guy. Listed as 6'5" 330 and rumored sub 4.9 40. However, I don't know if he is agile for his size, if he holds the point of attack or gets blown off the ball, if his size is good for his frame or if hes just fat etc. I was just hoping that anyone who gets to see this guy has some sort of insight in if he could project as a good NFL nose tackle or anything else about him.

Dawg4L21
10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
that must be a typo or you misread something but Shirley does not run a 4.5 40

BroadwayJoe10
10-08-2007, 06:53 PM
ya sorry bout that, i fixed it i meant 4.95. Think about that one though, 4.5 330 pounder? beastly hah

Dawg4L21
10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
sure would be...as far as Shirleys game, from what I've heard hes a pretty good prospect for a 34 NT not sure where he would go I'd say maybe 3rd round range? if you look at him he doesnt look just fat

P-L
10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah, many people think if Raji doesn't declare, he's in the mix for the top 3-4 NT in this draft. I haven't seen any of Fresno this year, but he's a guy to keep an eye on.

BroadwayJoe10
10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
wow 20,001 post. its kinda like the 100,000 mile marker haha. Yaa, I'm gonna have to imagine most people, unless they live in cali, won't have seen much of this guy play

P-L
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
wow 20,001 post. its kinda like the 100,000 mile marker haha. Yaa, I'm gonna have to imagine most people, unless they live in cali, won't have seen much of this guy play

Wow, I honestly didn't even know I had reached 19,000 yet.

Borat
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I live in Fresno, so I can speak about Jason Shirley, having seen most of Fresno State's games. I'd sum him up with this statement: Million dollar body with a .10 cent head.

He was suspended by the team for the first two games of the season for an undetermined incident they labeled as "conduct detrimental to the team".

Last night, he was booked by Fresno police for drunken driving and hit-and-run when he slammed his car into an apartment building, nearly hitting a guy sitting on a toilet! He then drove away as the toilet sitter and the guys brother chased Shirley down the street. He has been suspended indefinitely.

The guy has a ton of talent and yet, the team had benched him throughout the season, mentioning lack of motivation and drive as a factor.

I wouldn't draft this guy and my team desperately needs a 3-4 NT. You'll never feel comfortable with him. Even when he plays well, you're always waiting for the next incident or next series where he just doesn't put forward a competitive effort. It's a pretty telling sign when you got a player that's a senior and he's on the NFL radar and he either can't get motivated to play hard or he can't stay away from trouble off the field. With the NFL's prominent emphasis on character, I can't see this guy getting drafting higher than the 6th round.

He's a project with upside, but has giant question marks about his character and mental facilities.

SuperKevin
10-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Goodbye draft stock! Its a shame too since he's one of the premiere NT in this draft. This year is one of the most talented DT classes in recent memory but they are all smaller DTs