PDA

View Full Version : My Week 5 Thoughts

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
My Week 5 Thoughts

Struggling Quarterback Play

Vince Young – I praised the progress he made as a passer, yet somehow he regressed during the bye week. He looked dreadful out there. The Falcons have one of the fastest linebacker corp. in the NFL so they frustrated Young as a runner and he made a lot of shaky throws.

Chad Pennington – Are the Jets’ fans still sticking by Pennington? How long will they keep putting Pennington out there and have their supposed ‘QB of the future’ riding the bench? His lack of arm strength holds back their explosive receivers, allows defenses to stop Thomas Jones, and his floating passes are susceptible to being intercepted by DB’s.

Brett Favre – Brett Favre had a dynamite first half. He looked vintage ’95 Favre out there. By game’s end he started to look like the Favre that we’ve seen recently. Once the weather gets cold, you need to be able to run the football. Unfortunately with no competent running game Favre will be forced to press and the mistakes will follow.

Drew Brees – This is the Brees’ I thought New Orleans was getting last year; the one that was a product of Tomlinson and Gates, the one with below average arm strength. Even so, I never thought he be this bad. I don’t really know what to blame for New Orleans’ predicament, as I could go numerous directions. Is it Payton’s poor play-calling? Is it a lack of a running game that Brees’ needs to free him up? Is it the O-Line? I think it’s probably more of a combination.

Matt Hasselbeck – I don’t know what’s going on here, but it is not good. He was pulled! He threw several that could have been picked and two that were. One of which was due to him being late on his read and the DB broke up what would have been a TD.

San Diego Controls Their Destiny

The Chargers are blessed to be in the AFC West. The Chargers have been inconsistent, finally showing their potential yesterday, yet they are in perfect position to win the division. Who is ahead of them? Oakland has serious flaws and iffy QB play. Kansas City seems to be on the verge of imploding. Denver has no defense and the O-Line is falling apart. San Diego, despite horrendous play, can win the AFC West by merely playing at 80% of their overall talent the rest of the way.

All Quarterbacks go through difficult times, the great ones bounce back from these. Philip Rivers did just that. Denver’s pass defense has been excellent thus far and Philip Rivers has missed routine throws and made bone-headed decisions. He came out with something to prove and he played phenomenally. I think Philip Rivers has the ‘it’ factor and the intangibles to be a top flight QB in the NFL. If the Chargers are going to rebound it will be due to Rivers’, not Tomlinson, because they need Rivers to open things up for Tomlinson.

AFC South Is the Best Division

What a division this has turned out to be! The Colts somehow replaced several prominent veterans with rookies without losing a beat. They are using rookies and first year players all over the field and it’s working somehow. I just question how all these young players will hold up when the pressure is on and they face real adversity; that being said so far so good.

The Texans’ are a team that has been built the right way. Their ’06 draft class has truly been wonderful: Mario Williams has been a force against the run and has shown improved pass rushing ability, Demeco Ryans is one of the best MLB’s in the NFL now, Owen Daniels is a perfect H-Back type for their offense, and Eric Winson has started at RT and looked very good. Already they’ve seen dividends from Amobi Okoye. At the time of the trade with the Falcons many thought the Texans got fleeced, now not so much as Matt Schaub is everything that he was billed to be and I can’t help but feel jealous. What’s amazing is they’ve had success so far without their best individual player. Once they get Andre Johnson back the Texans will be a very dangerous team. It also helps that Kris Brown nailed three 54+ yard field goals.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are quietly doing very well. They have shown that their week 1 run defense (or lack thereof) was an aberration. David Garrard has justified the team’s decision to go with him as the starter. He’s shown great mobility, very good accuracy and hasn’t made the crucial mistake. If they can get Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor on track and start running the ball like they did last year, the Jaguars might actually live up to their talent level.

The Titans’ defensive line has been very impressive and so has their O-Line; however, I cannot help but think that they are the worst team in the division. Vince Young has been contained as a runner and has yet to show any semblance of consistency as a passer. Right now there is nothing he’s doing that David Garrard isn’t doing better. It’s not as if the receivers are going to help him either.

I’ve Said It before, Don’t Sleep on Pittsburgh

They played on Sunday without Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes; yet not only did they win, but they destroyed Seattle. Ben Roethlisberger is playing his best football of the season and Arians’ offense is much more effective than Whisenhunt’s conservative offense was last year. He’s spreading the field, getting Heath Miller involved and letting Ben Roethlisberger throw in situations other than obvious passing downs. The Colts and Patriots get tons of hype, and deservedly so, but Pittsburgh has a legitimate shot to do some major damage in the post-season. They play defense and run the ball as well as any in the NFL combine that with a balanced passing attack and that is a formula that can win in January.

Chicago May Have Saved Their Season

The Bears have quite a ways to go, that being said putting in Brian Griese has helped a lot. He’s utilized the Bears’ top notch TE tandem. The defense was abysmal for three quarters, counting the 4th QTR of the Lions game and the first half of the Packers game, but they finally came to life after half time. Now they need to get Benson on a roll if they want to play at a high level.

Washington Is the Best in the East

The Redskins are a good football team and are well coached. They have balance, both offensively and defensively. Jason Campbell is showing improvement week in and week out. They have a top notch rushing attack. The defense is playing like the ’05 unit, not the ’06 ‘Skins. I picked them this off-season and I think I will be proven right. Part of that is due to….

Tony Romo Exposed

A popular saying is ‘second verse, same as the first.’ Well I think this is applicable in this case. Once again Romo became a media darling and played extremely well in a brief period of time, only to come back down to earth. The fact that he was mentioned in MVP discussions shows that people were prematurely anointing him, completely ignoring his inconsistency from a season ago. He had one of the worst QB performances I’ve ever seen. He was picked five times and the Bills could have had more. This brings me to my next point….

This Year’s Equivalent to the Cardinals/Bears Game

That was an unbelievable meltdown by the Buffalo Bills. There is no way that they should have lost that game. How can you lose with two defensive touchdowns and a special teams’ touchdown, while the opposing QB looks beyond awful? The Bills found a way. How could they lose the ball on that onside kick? Why did they play off-man prevent when the Cowboys only needed 15 or so yards to get into field goal range? These are the kinds of games that get you fired if you are a head coach. The only thing missing is Dick Jauron going on a “The Cowboys are who we thought they were!” rampage.

Please Vote Michael Boley Into the Pro-Bowl!

I felt this needed to be written about. Quite frankly I don’t have a lot of things to be positive about, with exception to Michael Boley, who has been dominant for the last year and half; he came into the NFL as a 220-lbs LB/S ‘tweener and has put on twenty pounds of muscle. He’s played SS, RE, and LOLB, which shows his tremendous versatility. He reminds me of a young Julian Peterson. He’s by far Atlanta’s best LB, Keith Brooking gets all the hype but isn’t the same player he used to be back in ’04. He’s third in the NFL in tackles and he’s an outside linebacker, he’s a ball-hawk and excels in coverage. I believe I have the right to be a homer and praise someone on Atlanta once in a while. Ask any of the Titans’ fans what they think of Michael Boley.

Shaun Alexander Lacks Passion

I have never liked this guy’s attitude. He’s always been soft as a player. He has avoided contact at all costs throughout his career. He has magnificent physical abilities, size, speed, vision, acceleration. However the only time he ever played up to his potential was in his two contract years in ’04 and ’05. You can always tell who doesn’t care about football when they only play well when their pay-day is coming up.

Quick Hits

Tarnard Jackson really impressed me and looks like a keeper at safety for the Bucs.

The Lions are alternating between impressive victories and embarrassing losses. I still think they play enough weak teams and have just enough offense to carry them into wild card contention.

It’s rather amazing that the Ravens have yet to assemble a competent offense under Brian Billick. When your fan-base is debating “Boller vs. McNair” you know you’re in trouble. What makes things worse is they actually have explosive weapons in the passing game, but don’t have the QB necessary to utilize them.

Osi Umenyiora had another sack; next week he faces UDFA Renaldo Forster, he may get to ten sacks in six games!

If there is one thing Cam Cameron is good at it’s putting his RB in a position to excel, Ronnie Brown is looking like an elite player. At least one of the ‘big three’ ’05 RB class has to do well.

Mario Williams’ sack total is up to three. He and Amobi Okoye will be a dominant tandem for years to come. By the way, that busted end around to Ted Ginn Jr. that resulted in the Trent Green situation was due to Mario Williams getting quick penetration and forcing Ginn to reverse field.

Albert Haynesworth is so good it’s terrifying. I was speechless when he leapt over the Falcons’ O-Line and pulled Leftwich down upon the snap. Although it’s telling that this is a contract year.

As if I need to talk about the Patriots, but I was impressed that the Patriots have so many receivers they can take turns with who has a dominant game. They don’t even need Randy Moss and that is terrifying.

CannedToast
10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
There's a hell of a lot of overreactions here.

Just like if one player has one great game you can't call them amazing, you can't call a player horrible or mediocre because they have a bad game. Everyone has off days, and to say Young is regressing, that Romo showed his "true" self (I was *very* impressed with him in the last two minutes, the fact he was able to do that after the rest of the game he had? Says a lot about his maturity), and saying Brett Favre is struggling from a half, well... yeah.

yo123
10-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Just like if one player has one great game you can't call them amazing, you can't call a player horrible or mediocre because they have a bad game. Everyone has off days, and to say Young is regressing, that Romo showed his "true" self (I was *very* impressed with him in the last two minutes, the fact he was able to do that after the rest of the game he had? Says a lot about his maturity), and saying Brett Favre is struggling from a half, well... yeah.

Yeah I've noticed that there is a lot of overreacting on this board too. For some reason people just want Romo to fail so badly, hes still a very good QB. Everyone's allowed to have a bad game, especially if you end up winning anyway.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah I've noticed that there is a lot of overreacting on this board too. For some reason people just want Romo to fail so badly, hes still a very good QB. Everyone's allowed to have a bad game, especially if you end up winning anyway.

Romo has a lot of bad games. He is like Rex Grossman of last year. I'm not saying Romo will end up like Grossman did, but in the first handful of starts Grossman had impressive stats on an unbeaten team as well. Besides I only said that Romo was exposed in a sense that he is not elite, and he is not an MVP caliber QB. What is wrong with saying that?

fondoffilm
10-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Seattle's offensive line is playing like ****. I don't think I'd necessarily blame Hasselbeck and Alexander.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Where did I call any of those players "horrible" or "mediocre"? Don't put words in my mouth. The honest truth is they did struggle and all those players you mentioned have lingering questions hanging over them. Can Young consistently perform as a true QB? Can Favre avoid the costly mistakes? Will Romo ever maintain a consistent level of performance?

Ward
10-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I'll take the Chicago/Arizona game comparison, because Chicago went on the to SB.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I hate how presentist we are as a society. ESPN.com has a poll on which game was more memorable, this one or the Bears-Cardinals one, and this game is leading 75%-25%. Granted this game was really exciting, and I may be biased, but the Bears-Cardinals game was much more memorable, if for no other reason than Devin Hester and Denny Green.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I hate how presentist we are as a society. ESPN.com has a poll on which game was more memorable, this one or the Bears-Cardinals one, and this game is leading 75%-25%. Granted this game was really exciting, and I may be biased, but the Bears-Cardinals game was much more memorable, if for no other reason than Devin Hester and Denny Green.

To be fair I think the Bears/Cardinals game was more memorable. Tonight's game is just this year's "equivalent" if you will.

LonghornsLegend
I really dont care how people perceive Romo, thats for the birds...to say Romo is like Grossman is way off, but whatever...I feel confident in having Romo as a qb, and I feel like he gives us the best chance to go to the super bowl...

He's not on the level of peyton manning, so what, he can win games, and he plays great over the course of the season, you act like guys cant have bad games or something...It happens, but you act like we see this type of turnover game every other week

CannedToast
Romo has a lot of bad games. He is like Rex Grossman of last year. I'm not saying Romo will end up like Grossman did, but in the first handful of starts Grossman had impressive stats on an unbeaten team as well. Besides I only said that Romo was exposed in a sense that he is not elite, and he is not an MVP caliber QB. What is wrong with saying that?

Romo has a lot of bad games? In terms of starting games, he is still a "rookie". In fact, if you take his first 15 games of his career, he has 4411 yards, 32 TD's, and 21 picks. Now, that has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he did get to sit for a while. However, That is a bloody brilliant first year worth of starts, especially considering he'll probably get another 200 yards, 2 TD's, and INT in his next game.

One again, from this game, I learned a hell of a lot more about Romo from what he did in the final two minutes than I learned in the first 58.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Romo has a lot of bad games? In terms of starting games, he is still a "rookie". In fact, if you take his first 15 games of his career, he has 4411 yards, 32 TD's, and 21 picks. Now, that has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he did get to sit for a while. However, That is a bloody brilliant first year worth of starts, especially considering he'll probably get another 200 yards, 2 TD's, and INT in his next game.

One again, from this game, I learned a hell of a lot more about Romo from what he did in the final two minutes than I learned in the first 58.

1/3 of his games...

TitanHope
10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Ask any of the Titans’ fans what they think of Michael Boley.

Well, he's no Bulluck but he's pretty good. ;) The guy has impressed me every time I've seen a Falcons game, which though has been twice this year, he outperformed the like of John Abraham and DeAngelo Hall, in my opinion.

Vince Young played horrible on Sunday, but I'm not worried. He's had 3 good ones and one bad. And for a player in his second year, I'm not expecting perfection out of him every game. He's shown improvement this year by completing 62% of his passes, and had a dropped TD pass by Brandon Jones against the Falcons. The lack of playmakers on the Titan's offense is showing, though, and Young is trying to make plays by himself. But he's not at the level where he can do that...yet.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
To be fair I think the Bears/Cardinals game was more memorable. Tonight's game is just this year's "equivalent" if you will.

Oh I wasn't commenting on you, it just reminded me of that.

Haha...I love Emmit Smith. "This was a team that people thought would dominate and that is exactly what didn't happen". I feel so bad for Steve Young that he has to even acknowledge his idiocy.

CannedToast
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
1/3 of his games...

http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonmanning/gamelogs?id=MAN515097&season=1998

Let's see how much more consistent the best QB in the game was.

San Diego Chicken
10-08-2007, 11:41 PM
The most impressive thing about Romo is that he cleaned up his mess, unlike Grossman in last year's MNF game of the year. When he needed to, he put together a drive, and the 2pt play was right there, Jabari Greer just made a hell of a play. Then after the onside kick, all of his throws were on the money (Owens had another drop). Romo could have cost the game but he came back and pulled it out when he had to. I would say Dallas won the game more than the Bills imploding or anything like that.

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Romo is NOT a rookie, don't fool yourself into believing that. There is a tremendous difference between starting from day-1 on a terrible football team and Romo's situation. The fact that you would even bring up that link is funny to me.

LonghornsLegend
10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Romo is NOT a rookie, don't fool yourself into believing that. There is a tremendous difference between starting from day-1 on a terrible football team and Romo's situation. The fact that you would even bring up that link is funny to me.

yea but i dont ever remember you linking michael vick to grossman when he had games with multiple turnovers, which was frequent each year, but for some reason with Romo its like you want to jump the gun on him being a bad qb...he pulled the game together towards the end when he had another chance to blow it, when we still needed him to

Shiver
10-08-2007, 11:46 PM
yea but i dont ever remember you linking michael vick to grossman when he had games with multiple turnovers, which was frequent each year, but for some reason with Romo its like you want to jump the gun on him being a bad qb...he pulled the game together towards the end when he had another chance to blow it, when we still needed him to

You are clearly in defense mode. What does Michael Vick have to do with anything? Also he rarely had turnover prone games. He had exactly one game in his entire career (60+ starts) where he had three interceptions. That's besides the point, I don't see the relevance other than I am a Falcons fan.

CannedToast
10-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Ok, the Colts 98 roster had a of a lot of offensive talent. Faulk, Harrison, Pollard, etc.

Second, as I ALREADY said, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt because he sat. However, Romo is still learning, and to take him as some type of veteran is absolutely absurd. He hasn't even started one year's worth of games! It's like the Rivers and Brees situation, Rivers wasn't a rookie, but he was still a young quarterback learning the position. You can't say he's a rookie, but you can't really say he is much more than one, either.

The simple fact is, he outperformed Manning in his first 15 games. Take it how you want to (I don't think Romo is better than Manning. I don't think Romo ever will be better than Manning. But I think you don't really have much ground to ***** about Romo based on this performance. IF he turns in another 2 of these this year, then yes, we can talk. But Romo is still developing, and developing QB's make mistakes. Hell, none developing QB's have off days).

kwilk103
10-09-2007, 12:02 AM
romo haters out in full force

Joeyjr09
10-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Mario Williams’ sack total is up to three. He and Amobi Okoye will be a dominant tandem for years to come. By the way, that busted end around to Ted Ginn Jr. that resulted in the Trent Green situation was due to Mario Williams getting quick penetration and forcing Ginn to reverse field

Just curious, did you see the Dolphins/Texans game? Not sure how anyone can give credit to Mario Williams for that busted play. He had a great game but is impact on that play was minimal. He was allowed thru the line because Samson Satele pulled to be a lead blocker on the end around, that's part of the design of the play, it happens on most end arounds and screens where the guard pulls. What caused that play to break was that Ted Ginn couldn't take a handoff that hit him square in the chest. Nothing else. Mario never even got a hand on Ginn or Green and he was not the one that caused Ginn to reverse field after the fumble. If you watch the tape, one of the DBs hits Ginn forcing him to loose momentum, Mario was then blocked and taken out of the play completely before Ginn ever reverses field. All Mario did on that play was run around and get tired. Don't get me wrong I agree with you that Mario is turning out to be a hell of a player but I just think you need to pay closer attention to what you are commenting on because Mario really had nothing to do with that play. The only thing that deserves credit for for that horrible play was Ginn kicking the ball 10 yards towards the sidelines

P-L
10-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Ted Ginn, LOL.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Just curious, did you see the Dolphins/Texans game? Not sure how anyone can give credit to Mario Williams for that busted play. He had a great game but is impact on that play was minimal. He was allowed thru the line because Samson Satele pulled to be a lead blocker on the end around, that's part of the design of the play, it happens on most end arounds and screens where the guard pulls. What caused that play to break was that Ted Ginn couldn't take a handoff that hit him square in the chest. Nothing else. Mario never even got a hand on Ginn or Green and he was not the one that caused Ginn to reverse field after the fumble. If you watch the tape, one of the DBs hits Ginn forcing him to loose momentum, Mario was then blocked and taken out of the play completely before Ginn ever reverses field. All Mario did on that play was run around and get tired. Don't get me wrong I agree with you that Mario is turning out to be a hell of a player but I just think you need to pay closer attention to what you are commenting on because Mario really had nothing to do with that play. The only thing that deserves credit for for that horrible play was Ginn kicking the ball 10 yards towards the sidelines

Yes I saw the play, here is the highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weKmGtemn8&mode=related&search=

Shiver
10-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Ted Ginn, LOL.

One of the worst first round picks in recent memory. Taking Sebastian Janokowski was the worst.

Moses
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
I have to question if you even watched the Packers game based on your analysis of Favre. He tore up that game. He made ONE mistake the entire game and you're chastising him for it?

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
You are clearly in defense mode. What does Michael Vick have to do with anything? Also he rarely had turnover prone games. He had exactly one game in his entire career (60+ starts) where he had three interceptions. That's besides the point, I don't see the relevance other than I am a Falcons fan.

Yea but thats like him going out next week and thrashing NE, and we come in here and say he's a top 5 qb, look how well he played etc etc like that was the end of the conversation? Thats basically what your doing with one bad game, and he still managed to put it together at the end of the game when it mattered twice...Its not like we won by a punt return or kickoff return, we still needed Romo to show some poise at the end...

your premature on trying to bash him just as people on tv are as annointing him before he's proved himself fully...that still doesnt mean he's not a young qb learning, yes he sat, but thats like expecting aaron rogers to come in for hte packers and play mistake free ball, he's going through growing pains just like the rest of qbs do...He's still young, hasnt started a full season yet either, you make it seem like he's 30 years old and been on our bench for 6 years...

But like I said, people are going to have whatever perception they want about Romo, when you have a qb who can take you and win a super bowl for you im content, I could care less whether people think he should be in canton or if he is just like grossman

Shiver
10-09-2007, 12:48 AM
If he does that I will proclaim this game as an aberration, a fluke, a statistical anomaly. But I think my point stands, any QB who has the potential to play this poorly cannot be considered an elite or MVP caliber QB. Anytime soon at the least.

Joeyjr09
10-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes I saw the play, here is the highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weKmGtemn8&mode=related&search=

You didn't anwser my question? Did you see the game? Or just the highlight. They've only shown two angles on the highligh and they replayed about 4-5 different angles during the game. That highlight starts with Mario Williams already the backfield and doesn't even show where Samson Satele pulled and allowed Mario into the backfield.

Regardless, what of that highlight shows Mario Williams doing anything except running around. He was allowed into the backfield because of the pull and if you watch the highlight, Ginn didn't reverse field near the sideline until Mario was blocked and completely taken out of the play. Dunta Robinson was the man that put the hit on Ginn that forced him to reverse field and the fumble by Ginn was what caused the play to break to begin with.

You just looked up one highlight on youtube and make a decision based on that? It was an end around, the OL pulls allowing the rush thru the line and thus playing catch up on the entire play. The only reason Mario was even in that clip was because Ginn fumbled the handoff. If Ginn would have got it clean and kept running, Mario would have been behind the line and out of the play which is how the play is designed.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Well I only saw that particular angle, which is why I wrote what I wrote. I cannot watch all of the games, and since I'm not being paid to do this I don't plan on it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. What does proving me wrong mean to you? You've written quite a lot to disprove a passing observation.

Xenos
10-09-2007, 01:35 AM
My Week 5 Thoughts

San Diego Controls Their Destiny

The Chargers are blessed to be in the AFC West. The Chargers have been inconsistent, finally showing their potential yesterday, yet they are in perfect position to win the division. Who is ahead of them? Oakland has serious flaws and iffy QB play. Kansas City seems to be on the verge of imploding. Denver has no defense and the O-Line is falling apart. San Diego, despite horrendous play, can win the AFC West by merely playing at 80% of their overall talent the rest of the way.

All Quarterbacks go through difficult times, the great ones bounce back from these. Philip Rivers did just that. Denver’s pass defense has been excellent thus far and Philip Rivers has missed routine throws and made bone-headed decisions. He came out with something to prove and he played phenomenally. I think Philip Rivers has the ‘it’ factor and the intangibles to be a top flight QB in the NFL. If the Chargers are going to rebound it will be due to Rivers’, not Tomlinson, because they need Rivers to open things up for Tomlinson. [/LIST]

That's partially true. They need each in order to do well. Right now, the thing that still needs to improve for the Chargers is plays that make defenses pay for stacking the line against LT. He's still running against brick walls because Denver brought nearly everyone up to stop him because of their piss poor run defense. But as soon as Michael Turner gets in there, it's only a seven men front and he goes nuts on the 31st defense.

If this doesn't improve, then I think they should use LT and Turner like NO did last year with Bush and Deuce. Let LT and Turner be on the same field and cause more havoc that way. Also LT should get more catches because once he's in space, he excells greatly and shows why he's still the best RB in the league. Turner can be the bruiser that can wear down defenses. I mean this is his last year with us, we might as well use him as much as we can.

d34ng3l021
10-09-2007, 02:11 AM
All I do is go to your threads and talk about how frickin excited I am about Michael Boley.

Caddy
10-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Please Vote Michael Boley Into the Pro-Bowl!

I felt this needed to be written about. Quite frankly I don’t have a lot of things to be positive about, with exception to Michael Boley, who has been dominant for the last year and half; he came into the NFL as a 220-lbs LB/S ‘tweener and has put on twenty pounds of muscle. He’s played SS, RE, and LOLB, which shows his tremendous versatility. He reminds me of a young Julian Peterson. He’s by far Atlanta’s best LB, Keith Brooking gets all the hype but isn’t the same player he used to be back in ’04. He’s third in the NFL in tackles and he’s an outside linebacker, he’s a ball-hawk and excels in coverage. I believe I have the right to be a homer and praise someone on Atlanta once in a while. Ask any of the Titans’ fans what they think of Michael Boley.

Tarnard Jackson really impressed me and looks like a keeper at safety for the Bucs.Who cares about Boley! Vote Barrett Ruud to the Pro-Bowl :) Or even better, vote both of them to the Pro-Bowl.

I completely agree about Tanard. It makes me wonder why he slipped to Day 2 when he is playing so well at a position he hasn't played in before. And his hit on Clark was sweet.

fondoffilm
10-09-2007, 02:49 AM
I thought Tanard Jackson was going to be perfect fit in that system as a CB. Turns out he's an even better fit at safety.

Auron
10-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Drew Brees – This is the Brees’ I thought New Orleans was getting last year; the one that was a product of Tomlinson and Gates, the one with below average arm strength. Even so, I never thought he be this bad. I don’t really know what to blame for New Orleans’ predicament, as I could go numerous directions. Is it Payton’s poor play-calling? Is it a lack of a running game that Brees’ needs to free him up? Is it the O-Line? I think it’s probably more of a combination.

Brees has played badly this season he's missed some receivers and hasn't been as accurate but I can't lay that Carolina game squarely on his shoulders. On the last Interception, he delivered the ball right to Devery Henderson right as he was coming out of his break for what should've been a big gain to seal game. and Henderson let's bobbles the ball straight up in the air and right to Chris Harris. But that's exactly how this season has gone for him.

Vs. the Panthers he was actually starting to make the plays downfield. Including a 56 yard pass to Henderson which was originally ruled a TD, and a 32 yard pass where the Defense jumped offside, and he took advantage by snapping the ball and making a play.
nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80311f45
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8030fdf7

I think the reason is the Saints can never gain a consistent rhythm on Offense. When we actually do something positive we find a way to screw it up. Brees had a 10 yard TD pass to Stecker called back because of an Illegal Formation penalty on Jammal Brown, and we had to settle for a FG. (that could've been the difference in the game) when Brees does find an open receiver often times he'll drop it. There's just no consistency, I think a lot of QBs would struggle in this position. The Saints are also Passing because they have to, not when they want to. The running game has been almost none existent this season. It's a lot easier for teams to Defend you when you're so 1 dimensional. Also truthfully we don't really have that go-to guy type of WR that we can depend on, Colston is our only consistent WR threat if teams double him no one else has taken advantage. We really need Robert Meachem to develop.

On a side note I'm sort of surprised by the amount of Mediocre to Flat out Bad teams in the NFL right now. Outside of the Patriots, and Colts right now..everyone has some major flaws.

Modano
10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
If he does that I will proclaim this game as an aberration, a fluke, a statistical anomaly. But I think my point stands, any QB who has the potential to play this poorly cannot be considered an elite or MVP caliber QB. Anytime soon at the least.

Every QB has "the potential to play this poorly". Tom Brady had a great season in 2005, but still he had a 4 INT'S game against KC.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't see how Washington is the Beast of the East. Obviously not over the Cowboys but not even the Giants either. Giants beat Washington in DC and only have loses to a 4-1 Packer team and the 5-0 Cowboys, and up until last night played the best out of anyone against the boys, even despite having a horrible defense that has improved every week. @ Atlanta, vs. San Fran, and in London against Miami are the Giants next three game before their bye. Realistically this team could be 6-2. I'd even take 5-3 for a team that many foolishly thought would be in the mix for the #1 overall pick. I had this team at 8-8 all along, but I may over underestimated the advantage of a easy schedule. Just like the Jets last year.

Also Albert Haynesworth is making himself some $$$$$$. Hopefully what team gets him doesn't get a lazy underachiever once he signs the big contract.

CannedToast
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM
oh shut up. and this goes for every single person with a knee jerk "defend romo" mentality. i seem to remember a certain thread in which romo was basically shoved down the collective throat of non-cowboys fans. i seem to remember a number of discussions on the various tv analysis shows praising romo as the next aikman/staubach/whatever. so gosh, if he has a bad game, and someone says "he's not a league mvp candidate right now", the "haters" are apparently out? get over yourselves. jesus. the next time he has a good game and there are posts praising him, maybe i should just organize an army of non-cowboys fans to invade any thread in which someone says something positive about romo so we can accuse them of being massive fanboys/***? or does the door not swing both ways? i was sick of the garbage when it came to eli, when it came to vick, when it came to bush/young and i'm bloody sick of it now. at least a few of you have added to the discussion, however weak/misguided those contributions have been. posts like the above simply disgust me.

Rage-like.

Anyways, I simply say it's hard to call a quarterback "too inconsistent" when a) he has only started 15 games in his career, so it's hard to really know one way or another b) out of 5 games this year, he has had one bad game.

Honestly, I'll take 1 bad game out of every 5, as long as he plays as well as Romo has the rest of his games. That means you have a chance to be around 13-3.

And no, I don't think Romo should be MVP, nor have I said he should be. As for Pro-Bowl, I'd say he probably deserves to go. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 08:38 AM
oh shut up. and this goes for every single person with a knee jerk "defend romo" mentality. i seem to remember a certain thread in which romo was basically shoved down the collective throat of non-cowboys fans. i seem to remember a number of discussions on the various tv analysis shows praising romo as the next aikman/staubach/whatever. so gosh, if he has a bad game, and someone says "he's not a league mvp candidate right now", the "haters" are apparently out? get over yourselves. jesus. the next time he has a good game and there are posts praising him, maybe i should just organize an army of non-cowboys fans to invade any thread in which someone says something positive about romo so we can accuse them of being massive fanboys/***? or does the door not swing both ways? i was sick of the garbage when it came to eli, when it came to vick, when it came to bush/young and i'm bloody sick of it now. at least a few of you have added to the discussion, however weak/misguided those contributions have been. posts like the above simply disgust me.

It's really hysterical when you think about it. All I said was that he wasn't an elite or MVP caliber player and that he played poorly last night. Yet that is "hating" I guess. :rolleyes:

I don't see how Washington is the Beast of the East. Obviously not over the Cowboys but not even the Giants either. Giants beat Washington in DC and only have loses to a 4-1 Packer team and the 5-0 Cowboys, and up until last night played the best out of anyone against the boys, even despite having a horrible defense that has improved every week. @ Atlanta, vs. San Fran, and in London against Miami are the Giants next three game before their bye. Realistically this team could be 6-2. I'd even take 5-3 for a team that many foolishly thought would be in the mix for the #1 overall pick. I had this team at 8-8 all along, but I may over underestimated the advantage of a easy schedule. Just like the Jets last year.

If Washington can beat Green Bay, and I think they will, then they will be in an optimal position as well as the Giants. Contrary to what the media would like you to believe the Cowboys' have a lot of work to do to stay at the top of the NFC East and I think that all three teams will probably make the play-offs however. I picked the Redskins this off-season and thus far I've seen enough to stick to my guns.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 08:54 AM
If Washington can beat Green Bay, and I think they will, then they will be in an optimal position as well as the Giants. Contrary to what the media would like you to believe the Cowboys' have a lot of work to do to stay at the top of the NFC East and I think that all three teams will probably make the play-offs however. I picked the Redskins this off-season and thus far I've seen enough to stick to my guns.

The one thing I am happy about is we get the Pats week 17. A game that could be very big for us will more than likely mean nothing for the Pats and it is likely they won't be playing their starters. Obviously there is still a ton of football to be played before then but I'm glad we don't have the Pats in the next 10 weeks.

Favre4ever
10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
It's really hysterical when you think about it. All I said was that he wasn't an elite or MVP caliber player and that he played poorly last night. Yet that is "hating" I guess. :rolleyes:

Washington wont beat my pack at home thats for sure. That game against the Bears was a fluke.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Im gonna have to disagree with you on alot of points this time Shiv. I think you did a lot of overreacting this week.

I don't see how you can annoit the Redskins the best in the East when Dallas is 5-0 despite having one of the biggest qb meltdowns since Rex Grossman. Plus the fact that the Giants beat the Redskins.

Right now the Skins are tied at #2 to me along with the Giants, their offense is just as inconsistent as anyone elses, so Im not sold on calling them balanced just yet.

Romo had one bad week, but Im not ready to kill him for it yet. Whats more surprising to me is the fact that this team was able to overcome all those mistakes and still win the game. Thats eerily similar to a Bears team that went to the SB last year. Needless to say, that didn't make me feel too good.

Agree on Boley. Boley is a beast.

As impressive as Tennesee's oline has been, ive actually been even more impressed with their dline. Haynesworth has been unblockable.

Osi Umenyiora was questionable for this game, played at close to 80% (you can tell his knee bothered him all game), still gets a sack, then reinjures his knee and has to leave the game. Yet we have to hear about how Peppers is not playing well because he got an "illness" he suffered in Training Camp. Are you kidding me? Its week 5, whatever illness he had in no way shape or form can possibly effect his play any worse than Osi's knee injury he suffered in week 1, so I don't wanna hear it. If anyone feel Peppers is the better player, whatever, go ahead with that. But theres no denying that Osi is easily outplaying him this year.

One thing that worries me about Detroit is that oline. If teams bring the house, can Kitna deliver the ball downfield consistently? Thats a question that he will have to answer if they want to make the playoffs this year.

One thing that SD fans should worry about is SD's attitude after the game. Theyre acting like theyre right back in it and they knew they were this good etc. Thats fine, but they can't get complacent now. Im not confident in this coaching staff to get this team mentally prepared week in and week out. Im expecting them to continue their inconsistencies.

Speaking of which, Rivers was 13/18. He played great, but what he did was no different from Ben in years past. Its way too early to annoit him just yet. If teams can figure out how to cover Gates, Rivers is screwed.

draftguru151
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Well I only saw that particular angle, which is why I wrote what I wrote. I cannot watch all of the games, and since I'm not being paid to do this I don't plan on it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. What does proving me wrong mean to you? You've written quite a lot to disprove a passing observation.

You said something wrong and he called you on it. Williams had no effect on Ginn's fumble, Ginn's suckiness is why he fumbled. I'm pretty sure all he's looking for is for you to say that you were wrong, he always goes in depth on everything, don't feel like it's just to prove you wrong.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Osi actually didn't reinjure his knee on that sack. He knee again wasn't 100% in the game but on that sack he hurt his back. Coughlin said its just a little sore and shouldn't be anything nagging, although the knee still might not be 100%.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Osi actually didn't reinjure his knee on that sack. He knee again wasn't 100% in the game but on that sack he hurt his back. Coughlin said its just a little sore and shouldn't be anything nagging, although the knee still might not be 100%.

Thats weird, he was holding his knee when he got hurt. Maybe Coughlin is just blowing smoke to the media?

I hope Osi can play against the Falcons. I expect them to leave a TE in all game to help their backup LT.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Thats weird, he was holding his knee when he got hurt. Maybe Coughlin is just blowing smoke to the media?

I hope Osi can play against the Falcons. I expect them to leave a TE in all game to help their backup LT.

I thought instantly it was his back. His torso snapped back hard when he hit Pennington. Either way, he walked off the field and its not something that will hold him out on Monday. Hopefully that knee gets better and better every week.

scottyboy
10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
http://bigblueinteractive.com/

under injury report- says it was Osi's back, but he should be fine... but dont wanna turn this into G-Men discussion.

Boley is a stud LB who will make the falcons D a strong force with Hall, Anderson, Brooking...

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 09:57 AM
http://bigblueinteractive.com/

under injury report- says it was Osi's back, but he should be fine... but dont wanna turn this into G-Men discussion.

Boley is a stud LB who will make the falcons D a strong force with Hall, Anderson, Brooking...

Michael Boley is in my opinion, the prototype SAM in the conventional 4-3 defense. I think ideally, every 4-3 wants a Michael Boley.

The guy can cover the TE, he can blitz from the SAM spot, and he can line up at DE in the nickel. That versatility is priceless.

Im hoping that Kiwi can be that type of player. He has a long way to go though.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Michael Boley is in my opinion, the prototype SAM in the conventional 4-3 defense. I think ideally, every 4-3 wants a Michael Boley.

The guy can cover the TE, he can blitz from the SAM spot, and he can line up at DE in the nickel. That versatility is priceless.

Im hoping that Kiwi can be that type of player. He has a long way to go though.

Dansby as well. And I think he might be a free agent. Dunno if the Cardinals are gonna keep him. Haven't seen much of their game to know how he is fitting in that 3-4 they are trying to run I believe.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I doubt there is anyone on this board who was happier to see romo and the cowboys struggle but watching that game I just don't understand how romo threw 5 picks, should have been 7as McGee dropped two easy picks, one that would have sealed the game. Each pick outside of kelsay tip and catch were just some of the worst throws I've ever seen, but when romo wasn't throwing those 6 absolutely terrible passes he was playing well, he was incredible at avoiding pressure and getting the ball out to his receivers. It was so weird because that was easily the best performance I've ever seem by a qb who threw 5 picks.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM

See romo really didn't even play that poorly, he just made 6 absolutely horrendous throws of which 4 were picked off, the rest of the time he was actually pretty good. I just can't understand why he made those 6 terrible throws. Hopefully he continues doing that.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
See romo really didn't even play that poorly, he just made 6 absolutely horrendous throws of which 4 were picked off, the rest of the time he was actually pretty good. I just can't understand why he made those 6 terrible throws. Hopefully he continues doing that.

You must not have saw the same game I did. Romo could have thrown about four more interceptions, including one that would have sealed it that was just outright dropped by Terrence McGee.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
It should be noted that DeMarcus Ware is having a great year thus far, outside his first game against the Giants.

He's really turned it on this year. Anthony Spencer on the opposite side has done wonders for him.

I really wanted to see Poz last night. Its a shame he got injured. He was having a great season too.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Dansby as well. And I think he might be a free agent. Dunno if the Cardinals are gonna keep him. Haven't seen much of their game to know how he is fitting in that 3-4 they are trying to run I believe.

i doubt the cards let dansby go as he is their best defensive player after dockett and wilson, also his versatility males him perfect for the ilb spot next to hayes, hayes will be their big thumper inside while dansby's the versatile playmaker who is a great compliment because he can blitz and cocer extremely well for the spot while also being good at sifting through bodies against the run, while i'd love for dansby to end up playing for big blue, i doubt we see him hit ufa

Scotty D
10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
It should be noted that DeMarcus Ware is having a great year thus far, outside his first game against the Giants.

He's really turned it on this year. Anthony Spencer on the opposite side has done wonders for him.

I really wanted to see Poz last night. Its a shame he got injured. He was having a great season too.

Digorgio (sp?) has taken his job anyways.

(woot SVSU homer)

Shiver
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Im gonna have to disagree with you on alot of points this time Shiv. I think you did a lot of overreacting this week.

That kind of goes with the territory.

I don't see how you can annoit the Redskins the best in the East when Dallas is 5-0 despite having one of the biggest qb meltdowns since Rex Grossman. Plus the fact that the Giants beat the Redskins.

Right now the Skins are tied at #2 to me along with the Giants, their offense is just as inconsistent as anyone elses, so Im not sold on calling them balanced just yet.

Romo had one bad week, but Im not ready to kill him for it yet. Whats more surprising to me is the fact that this team was able to overcome all those mistakes and still win the game. Thats eerily similar to a Bears team that went to the SB last year. Needless to say, that didn't make me feel too good.

Dallas is good, but I think they have some serious flaws. They haven't played any very good teams yet. Their opponents' accumulative W-L record is very telling in my books. I have a feeling once their road toughens up they won't look as good. Defensively they've only been challenged once and they were torn apart. Offensively they haven't played any great defenses yet. How they play against New England will be very telling, but my gut is telling me that they aren't that great. If they beat New England I will have to reevaluate things.

As for New York, I know you don't want to hear this, but they've imploded two years in a row down the stretch. It's hard to ignore that fact, for me anyway. I just cannot trust them at this point.

By the way I think the odds are strongly in favor of the NFC East taking both of the wild-card slots. I just personally feel that Washington will be at the top, as for who succeeds in the post-season is another question.

Agree on Boley. Boley is a beast.

One of the lone bright spots on our team.

As impressive as Tennesee's oline has been, ive actually been even more impressed with their dline. Haynesworth has been unblockable.

Well I did mention him later on.

Osi Umenyiora was questionable for this game, played at close to 80% (you can tell his knee bothered him all game), still gets a sack, then reinjures his knee and has to leave the game. Yet we have to hear about how Peppers is not playing well because he got an "illness" he suffered in Training Camp. Are you kidding me? Its week 5, whatever illness he had in no way shape or form can possibly effect his play any worse than Osi's knee injury he suffered in week 1, so I don't wanna hear it. If anyone feel Peppers is the better player, whatever, go ahead with that. But theres no denying that Osi is easily outplaying him this year.

He outplayed him in '05 as well.

One thing that worries me about Detroit is that oline. If teams bring the house, can Kitna deliver the ball downfield consistently? Thats a question that he will have to answer if they want to make the playoffs this year.

Not as if it will take a lot in the NFC...

One thing that SD fans should worry about is SD's attitude after the game. Theyre acting like theyre right back in it and they knew they were this good etc. Thats fine, but they can't get complacent now. Im not confident in this coaching staff to get this team mentally prepared week in and week out. Im expecting them to continue their inconsistencies.

What will help them is their schedule really softens up from this point on.

Speaking of which, Rivers was 13/18. He played great, but what he did was no different from Ben in years past. Its way too early to annoit him just yet. If teams can figure out how to cover Gates, Rivers is screwed.

This is besides the point, but this may be Gates' best season ever. He is performing like an elite WR, it's incredible. As for Rivers, I am admittedly a big fan. The Broncos' pass defense has been stout thus far and he shredded them. Getting Eric Parker, who is steady and consistent, will only help.

You said that you found a lot to disagree with, but you didn't mention that many things. I guess "a lot of disagreement" for us is one or two things, ha.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:33 PM
You must not have saw the same game I did. Romo could have thrown about four more interceptions, including one that would have sealed it that was just outright dropped by Terrence McGee.

Don't know about 4 more but McGee did drop 2 easy picks so yes romo did make 6 absolutely embarassimg throws, but outside of those pathetically bad mistakes he played well which is why i'm still shocked he made so many throws that were terrible. I'm not saying we should give him pass for his performance, but I wouldn't call it grossman bad.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I disagree on the NFC East taking both wild card spots (though it'll be close IMO).

The biggest reason is simple.

The NFC West plays the NFC South. Granted the NFC East gets to beat up on the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets, so maybe that theory is a bit flawed. It's just such a statistically improbability for that to happen, especially considering that the NFC East plays a significantly harder division (isn't that funny...the NFC North being significantly better than anyone?)

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Dallas is good, but I think they have some serious flaws. They haven't played any very good teams yet. Their opponents' accumulative W-L record is very telling in my books. I have a feeling once their road toughens up they won't look as good. Defensively they've only been challenged once and they were torn apart. Offensively they haven't played any great defenses yet. How they play against New England will be very telling, but my gut is telling me that they aren't that great. If they beat New England I will have to reevaluate things.

As for New York, I know you don't want to hear this, but they've imploded two years in a row down the stretch. It's hard to ignore that fact, for me anyway. I just cannot trust them at this point.

By the way I think the odds are strongly in favor of the NFC East taking both of the wild-card slots. I just personally feel that Washington will be at the top, as for who succeeds in the post-season is another question.

One of the lone bright spots on our team.

Well I did mention him later on.

He outplayed him in '05 as well.

Not as if it will take a lot in the NFC...

What will help them is their schedule really softens up from this point on.

This is besides the point, but this may be Gates' best season ever. He is performing like an elite WR, it's incredible. As for Rivers, I am admittedly a big fan. The Broncos' pass defense has been stout thus far and he shredded them. Getting Eric Parker, who is steady and consistent, will only help.

You said that you found a lot to disagree with, but you didn't mention that many things. I guess "a lot of disagreement" for us is one or two things, ha.

Haha, its true. We basically disagree on like 2 things :)

Thats a fair assessment of the Giants. Its true, we can't feel good about ourselves even if we go 6-2 into the bye, because we always implode the 2nd half. So I'll just have to cross my fingers and wait.

Watching Gates yesterday had me stunned. He made it look so easy. The double team was non existant. He couldve caught every single pass if he wanted to, it was amazing.

I was looking forward to seeing Champ on Gates, but he got injured. But Gates receiving ability is simply amazing. And they really utilize him very well.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I disagree on the NFC East taking both wild card spots (though it'll be close IMO).

The NFC West plays the NFC South. Granted the NFC East gets to beat up on the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets, so maybe that theory is a bit flawed. It's just such a statistically improbability for that to happen, especially considering that the NFC East plays a significantly harder division (isn't that funny...the NFC North being significantly better than anyone?)

I dunno if the NFC North is significantly harder. The Lions don't seem like a 3-2 at all and got killed by two NFC East teams. Minny is bad. And your Bears are just as average as the teams in the East.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

The NFC North isn't that bad at all this year. Think about it. Id say the NFC South and possibly the NFC West are both worse than the North this year collectively.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
the giants have imploded for two years in row for 1 reason, and that's injuries. If they lose their starting LT, most consistent receiver, and top 3 DEs again it will be clear that coughlin is doing something wrong on the conditioning front.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
The NFC South is a disaster this year. In fact, disaster may be an understatement. I just don't know if any of the NFC West teams can capitalize on that.

Jughead10
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
the giants have imploded for two years in row for 1 reason, and that's injuries. If they lose their starting LT, most consistent receiver, and top 3 DEs again it will be clear that coughlin is doing something wrong on the conditioning front.

I think he is improving there. Both Osi and Jacbo's knee injuries looked real bad week 1. They were calling Osi the miracle man for being able to play the next week. And Jacobs seems to have healed very quickly as well. The only significant injury we have is Smith. And breaking your scapula seems like a freak thing. Of course Plax's ankle is a concern but he is playing through it and looks good out there to me.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Oh another thing we forgot to mention in this thread.

Bone headed coaching moves.

Herm running the ball only 10 or so times agains the Jags? Especially when it was a close game throughout? The hell?

Sean Payton still thinks he's playing Madden, throwing it 47 or so times against the Panthers when again, the game was so close?

Boy let me tell ya, if Coughlin ever did that with the Giants you'd see me going nuts in the Giants team discussion board. That is outrageous, and flat out stupid.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh another thing we forgot to mention in this thread.

Bone headed coaching moves.

Herm running the ball only 10 or so times agains the Jags? Especially when it was a close game throughout? The hell?

Sean Payton still thinks he's playing Madden, throwing it 47 or so times against the Panthers when again, the game was so close?

Boy let me tell ya, if Coughlin ever did that with the Giants you'd see me going nuts in the Giants team discussion board. That is outrageous, and flat out stupid.

I live in Kansas City and let me tell you that the sports talk writers and radio guys are killing Larry Johnson. For Johnson they think he's not trying since he got his pay-day and is merely looking for where to fall down. To be fair the Chiefs' O-Line was manhandled by the Jaguars' D-Line.

As for Sean Payton, without McAllister I don't know how much he could actually run the ball. Reggie Bush got 21 carries and that's a high number for him. The Saints had a ton of plays and just didn't do anything with it.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I think he is improving there. Both Osi and Jacbo's knee injuries looked real bad week 1. They were calling Osi the miracle man for being able to play the next week. And Jacobs seems to have healed very quickly as well. The only significant injury we have is Smith. And breaking your scapula seems like a freak thing. Of course Plax's ankle is a concern but he is playing through it and looks good out there to me.

we can only hope that's the case. But i'm still unwilling to get my hopes up and fully expect disaster to strike again.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I live in Kansas City and let me tell you that the sports talk writers and radio guys are killing Larry Johnson. For Johnson they think he's not trying since he got his pay-day and is merely looking for where to fall down. To be fair the Chiefs' O-Line was manhandled by the Jaguars' D-Line.

As for Sean Payton, without McAllister I don't know how much he could actually run the ball. Reggie Bush got 21 carries and that's a high number for him. The Saints had a ton of plays and just didn't do anything with it.

Still if you think about it, theyre pass/run ratio for the Saints was 2:1, and thats still horrible game management.

I didn't see the game, but Im sure the playcalling was typical Sean Payton. He coaches like a video game.

LJ looked good against SD. He still runs like a beast, he just doesn't have any holes to run through. I remember last week, he was racing down the sideline, stopped on a dime, threw his arm into a SD DB's chest, threw him five yards backward cut back inside and trucked another defender. He still has it. Even if he's not the same however, you still can't abandon the run game that quickly. Its not like Peyton Manning is your quarterback. You got to commit to the run game more than 10 runs the whole game.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I dunno if the NFC North is significantly harder. The Lions don't seem like a 3-2 at all and got killed by two NFC East teams. Minny is bad. And your Bears are just as average as the teams in the East.
Minny may be bad, but they aren't rollover bad like the Saints and Falcons are this year. Minny will beat a team from the NFC East, I'll all but guarantee it.

It's more to the level of the competition though. Chicago and Green Bay can hang with anyone in the NFC East (yes Chicago got blown out by the Cowboys but the game was close well into the 4th quarter). And while Detroit has fared absolutely terrible against the NFC East so far, I'm not sure they're any worse than, say, the Panthers. They did beat the Cowboys last year after all. The Bucs are the only team that I would even classify as above-average in the NFC South, and even then that's about as far as I'll go.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Minny may be bad, but they aren't rollover bad like the Saints and Falcons are this year. Minny will beat a team from the NFC East, I'll all but guarantee it.

It's more to the level of the competition though. Chicago and Green Bay can hang with anyone in the NFC East (yes Chicago got blown out by the Cowboys but the game was close well into the 4th quarter). And while Detroit has fared absolutely terrible against the NFC East so far, I'm not sure they're any worse than, say, the Panthers. They did beat the Cowboys last year after all. The Bucs are the only team that I would even classify as above-average in the NFC South, and even then that's about as far as I'll go.

I couldve swore the Cowboys beat the Panthers last year?

Flyboy
10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Still if you think about it, theyre pass/run ratio for the Saints was 2:1, and thats still horrible game management.

I didn't see the game, but Im sure the playcalling was typical Sean Payton. He coaches like a video game.

In Payton's defense, running the ball hasn't even been an option this year... our mediocre running blocking has regressed prior to last season. It was solid last season, but this year there aren't any holes whatsoever to run through. And, even if there were holes.. our runners would get gains and then turn the ball over (notably Deuce against TB). I'm not worried with Bush getting the ball 20+ times... he fought every yard he got on the ground against Carolina.. coupled that with having nowhere to really run, he still got tough yardage.

And, also it seems that our WR corps is completely regressed as well. Colston has been okay, but Devery Henderson is not a legit #2 WR in the league. He's a perfect slot WR to stretch the defense, but lacks consistency to be a #2. Case in point, we're driving against Carolina and Brees throws a perfect ball to him (and Brees has looked shaky all season), Henderson drops it, Carolina intercepts.

I'm not going to defend Payton completely because he is a very pass-happy coach, but it's not like the execution has been there either. If the run is working he usually sticks with it (Bush gashing NYG last season & McAllister gashing the Eagles in the playoffs)... hell, Bush even had 21 carries so that isn't completely passing the ball all around either.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Did Robert Meachem get put on IR or something? Where is he?

Flyboy
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Did Robert Meachem get put on IR or something? Where is he?

Been inactive in all our games thus far. He's still recovering from the offseason surgery he had to clean up some scar tissue in his knee. With many changes coming to our team (line-up wise), I expect to see Colston & Moore as our starters.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
I couldve swore the Cowboys beat the Panthers last year?
I meant that the Lions beat the Cowboys.

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I just love how after one game our qb is a bum, and were barely a playoff team...cant wait to see alot of people flip flop their opinions

Modano
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM

I can understand that you're not sold on the Cowboys, there's a long way to go before seeing if they're for real or no, they haven't played a really good opponent yet and of course they have their flaws (just like every team in this league)
But if it's true that they haven't faced a really good team yet, the same thing can be said for the Redskins. The Redskins won against Miami (but in the OT, while Dallas destroyed them), Detroit (not a great team by any means), Philadelphia (and they're not that good this year), and lost against the Giants (a team the cowboys have beaten).

So, if for you is very telling the cumulative record of the opponents the Cowboys have faced so far, the same exact thing can be said for the Redskins.

skinzzfan25
10-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I can understand that you're not sold on the Cowboys, there's a long way to go before seeing if they're for real or no, they haven't played a really good opponent yet and of course they have their flaws (just like every team in this league)
But if it's true that they haven't faced a really good team yet, the same thing can be said for the Redskins. The Redskins won against Miami (but in the OT, while Dallas destroyed them), Detroit (not a great team by any means), Philadelphia (and they're not that good this year), and lost against the Giants (a team the cowboys have beaten).

So, if for you is very telling the cumulative record of the opponents the Cowboys have faced so far, the same exact thing can be said for the Redskins.

But our expectations this year are much lower than the Cowboys. At the beginning of the year, they were considered one of the front runners in the NFC.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM

People aren't calling Washington the class of the NFC, let alone the East.

Mr. Stiller
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

BBD,

Have you seen Ben at all this year?

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
BBD,

He said "in years passed" meaning prior to this year.

Mr. Stiller
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
He said "in years passed" meaning prior to this year.

I know, I was just asking him if he got a chance to watch him at all this season.

Boston
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Poor Favre. People look at the stat line and see 1 TD and 2 INT's and immediately think, well, it was nice while it lasted. Favre dominated the first half. Didn't really have many chances the second. Favre made one bad, stupid, decision the entire game, and that was his first interception.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Poor Favre. People look at the stat line and see 1 TD and 2 INT's and immediately think, well, it was nice while it lasted. Favre dominated the first half. Didn't really have many chances the second. Favre made one bad, stupid, decision the entire game, and that was his first interception.

Two. He never should have let his wife do the coin toss.

Boston
10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Two. He never should have let his wife do the coin toss.

Meh, that's debatable.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
And that one mistake cost them the game. The Packers' offense is so reliant upon Favre that one mistake will lose them games. He needs to be perfect for them to win, especially with an atrocious rushing attack, and he has been just that prior to the second half.

Boston
10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
And that one mistake cost them the game. The Packers' offense is so reliant upon Favre that one mistake will lose them games. He needs to be perfect for them to win, especially with an atrocious rushing attack, and he has been just that.

No... There were many other things that cost them the game. Such as penalties, fumbles, poor execution/play calling. That play was bad, but by no means did it cost them the game. I understand him not doing that could have taken 7 points off the board and "technically" won them the game, but they had many oppurtunities after that to win.

BlindSite
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
NJX has a point, no one is saying Romo is useless, just he's not in the same class as Manning or Brady as some were saying.

IMO he's a very hot & cold player and certainly a top 10 QB, he's not an MVP though, he's just above average, which with a team like the cowboys have is enough. Fans should be happy with that imo.

stephenson86
10-09-2007, 05:21 PM
albert haynesworth is THE BEST player on the titans team

Moses
10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
And that one mistake cost them the game. The Packers' offense is so reliant upon Favre that one mistake will lose them games. He needs to be perfect for them to win, especially with an atrocious rushing attack, and he has been just that prior to the second half.

You honestly think that Favre's interception was what cost them the game? Not the 3 fumbles that took points off the board? Packers run game was actually good in this game, especially during the first half. Favre does not need to be perfect to win games. The story of this game was fumbles and that is what lost it for them.

Moses
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
albert haynesworth is THE BEST player on the titans team

He impresses me so much. Best DT in the league from what I have seen this season.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
People.. have the name Michael Boley installed into your brains.

Shiver
10-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Alright Packers' fans, I should have used a different phrase than "lost them the game" for Favre's interception. There were other factors, as there always is; however, Favre's interception was the straw that broke the camel's back as it were. The Packers were clearly in control of the game and Favre made a horrendous throw inside his team's own twenty yard line. If you're going to make a mistake, that is the worst place to do so. The Bears scored on the very next play even.

JETS5128
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
My Week 5 Thoughts

Struggling Quarterback Play

Chad Pennington – Are the Jets’ fans still sticking by Pennington? How long will they keep putting Pennington out there and have their supposed ‘QB of the future’ riding the bench? His lack of arm strength holds back their explosive receivers, allows defenses to stop Thomas Jones, and his floating passes are susceptible to being intercepted by DB’s.[/LIST]

Honestly, if he has another bad game next week i would be angry if Clemens wasn't starting

Boston
10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Alright Packers' fans, I should have used a different phrase than "lost them the game" for Favre's interception. There were other factors, as there always is; however, Favre's interception was the straw that broke the camel's back as it were. The Packers were clearly in control of the game and Favre made a horrendous throw inside his team's own twenty yard line. If you're going to make a mistake, that is the worst place to do so. The Bears scored on the very next play even.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the three+ drives we started inside of our own twenty following that, all three resulting in three and outs. Which, ultimately gave the Bears the ball on their fifty three possessions in a row. You are really pinning way to much on that one play to support your arguement.

Dam8610
10-10-2007, 12:14 AM
AFC South Is the Best Division

What a division this has turned out to be! The Colts somehow replaced several prominent veterans with rookies without losing a beat. They are using rookies and first year players all over the field and it’s working somehow. I just question how all these young players will hold up when the pressure is on and they face real adversity; that being said so far so good.

I’ve Said It before, Don’t Sleep on Pittsburgh

They played on Sunday without Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes; yet not only did they win, but they destroyed Seattle. Ben Roethlisberger is playing his best football of the season and Arians’ offense is much more effective than Whisenhunt’s conservative offense was last year. He’s spreading the field, getting Heath Miller involved and letting Ben Roethlisberger throw in situations other than obvious passing downs. The Colts and Patriots get tons of hype, and deservedly so, but Pittsburgh has a legitimate shot to do some major damage in the post-season. They play defense and run the ball as well as any in the NFL combine that with a balanced passing attack and that is a formula that can win in January.

Things like this make me wonder if you have a grudge against the Colts. You question if the young players for the Colts can handle adversity after they beat a 3-1 division leader while missing a HOF WR, a Pro Bowl S, and 4 other starters, then you go on to praise the Steelers for doing the same thing while missing a Pro Bowl WR, a Pro Bowl S, and 2 other starters. I just don't get this.

Dam8610
10-10-2007, 12:15 AM
He impresses me so much. Best DT in the league from what I have seen this season.

Outside of the Colts, the DT talent in the AFC South is amazing.

Shiver
10-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Things like this make me wonder if you have a grudge against the Colts. You question if the young players for the Colts can handle adversity after they beat a 3-1 division leader while missing a HOF WR, a Pro Bowl S, and 4 other starters, then you go on to praise the Steelers for doing the same thing while missing a Pro Bowl WR, a Pro Bowl S, and 2 other starters. I just don't get this.

What do you want? How did I not praise the Colts? I said that the Colts haven't missed a beat, directly against what I predicted prior to the season, and that so far so good. When I brought up the question 'I wonder how they can handle adversity' I am referring to when they start playing in January and defending their Super Bowl. They are making me look bad and I thought for sure I was praising them. *shrug*

TimD
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
My Week 5 Thoughts
Chad Pennington – Are the Jets’ fans still sticking by Pennington? How long will they keep putting Pennington out there and have their supposed ‘QB of the future’ riding the bench? His lack of arm strength holds back their explosive receivers, allows defenses to stop Thomas Jones, and his floating passes are susceptible to being intercepted by DB’s.

With Kellen Clemens in, the safeties and even line backers will be forced to play the pass more allowing Jones to run and Leon to catch those screens he is so good at. Coles and Cotchery need someone to get them the ball when they run routes longer than 15 yards. I think most of our offensive problems will be solved in 2 weeks if Kellen starts Sunday. Defense is a whole other story, but with an improved offense, the D will be out there less so they will do a bit better.

bigbluedefense
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
BBD,

Outside of one PS game, no I haven't. Ive seen highlight clips, and statlines, but nothing other than that.

Thats the main reason why you don't hear me say anything specific about him, if anything at all. I don't like commenting on players or situations unless I get to see it myself firsthand.

I do have an opinion on him this season, but its not a definitive opinion because I haven't seen any gamefilm to validate or negate my preliminary thoughts. So for now, I reserve any comment on him until I see him play.

Geo
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
From what I saw this past Sunday, Seattle's sack total could have been more if not for Roflisberger breaking some arm tackles and running out of the pocket. He put his frame and athleticism to use.