PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Up the OL

jason96r
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I know next year in the offseason and draft we should focus on defense, and this is to early to talk draft. Honestly, what can we do to improve this offensive (pun intended) line. I like Peterman and probably one of the few that understands his capabilities and likes Raiola. If I was GM I would try to pick up a couple pieces for the defense in FA, and would try my best to trade for Vilma. I would even go OL the whole first day in the upcoming draft. My question for you guys is if you were to go OL the first 3 rounds who would you take, lets say we pick 15. I am not sure but unless Sam Baker fell into our laps I would probably start with Michael Oher.

Iamcanadian
10-09-2007, 10:51 AM
A NFL OL starts with a solid LT. Signing more OL FA's or drafting more OLmen is just a plain waste of time. By NFL standards, our OL is fairly decent but it has 2 problems which appear to be unsolvable.
1) Kitna isn't a nimble QB and that puts a lot of pressure on our OL especially since we pass the ball so much.
2) we have a solid RT playing LT for us. Unfortunately he's getting LT money which makes replacing him almost impossible in the cap era.
Our defense has to take priority next year both in the draft and in FA, period. The offense will have to get by with what it has.

Scotty D
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I thought Frank Davis looked promising.

Bootland27
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I'd love to see Jonathan Scott, step up and become a starter at some point.

jason96r
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I really like Scott to and want him to replace Backus at LT this year, I wanted that last year. Davis, I remember him looking promising. I just want a good OL, they don't have to be tops in the league but atleast be able to do something in thhe run and passing game.

Iamcanadian
10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I really like Scott to and want him to replace Backus at LT this year, I wanted that last year. Davis, I remember him looking promising. I just want a good OL, they don't have to be tops in the league but atleast be able to do something in thhe run and passing game.

Scott isn't going to be a LT, he'll is a very average RT and not much more.

Iamcanadian
10-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I know next year in the offseason and draft we should focus on defense, and this is to early to talk draft. Honestly, what can we do to improve this offensive (pun intended) line. I like Peterman and probably one of the few that understands his capabilities and likes Raiola. If I was GM I would try to pick up a couple pieces for the defense in FA, and would try my best to trade for Vilma. I would even go OL the whole first day in the upcoming draft. My question for you guys is if you were to go OL the first 3 rounds who would you take, lets say we pick 15. I am not sure but unless Sam Baker fell into our laps I would probably start with Michael Oher.

Matt Millen isn't going to 'blow up the OL'. He's trying to keep his job and has now settled into the 6-8 win priority. He knows the offense can score some points and will try to upgrade the defense to make it a little easier to win his 6-8 games. He's long given up on building a true contender. Really is Kitna going to take us to the SB, never! Is our defense SB competitive, not even close! After 7 seasons on the job, we aren't even close to being a really competitive team and never will be with him in command.

Bootland27
10-14-2007, 11:31 PM
So sad....our OT problems could've been solved in 2005. Stockar Mcdougle leaves as a FA and what does millen do to address it? He decides to that Kelly Butler is good enough to start at RT, and we all know what happened after that.

Instead we could've taken a guy like a Jamaal Brown (look at what he's accomplished in just his 3rd year) or even an Alex Barron who is more of a RT and isn't nearly as good as Jamaal Brown, but is still better than what the lions are trotting out.

Addict
10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Rey, Calais or that boise state kid (the OT) or bust.

Bootland27
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Rey, Calais or Sam Baker or bust.

there, fixed for accuracy.