PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

Smokey Joe
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Last night when the Cowboys were driving for their field goal I was thinking... there was only 6 or 7 seconds left on the clock and the cowboys had no timeouts, Obviously they would be looking to throw a quick pass to the sidelines. Would a defense of basically 11 DB's/LB's with no down lineman and everyone just sitting on the sidelines work? My idea would to have 5 guys spread out evenly down the sidelines in basically zone coverage trying to prevent any quick out, and just a safety deep to prevent any receiver from getting open down field.

Now, this type of D would only work in situations last night. Where the offense has no timeouts and not enough to time to complete a play and get out of bounds.

My questions are 1) do you think would be a smart move and 2) would this be a legal defensive formation?

SuperKevin
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Last night when the Cowboys were driving for their field goal I was thinking... there was only 6 or 7 seconds left on the clock and the cowboys had no timeouts, Obviously they would be looking to throw a quick pass to the sidelines. Would a defense of basically 11 DB's/LB's with no down lineman and everyone just sitting on the sidelines work? My idea would to have 5 guys spread out evenly down the sidelines in basically zone coverage trying to prevent any quick out, and just a safety deep to prevent any receiver from getting open down field.

Now, this type of D would only work in situations last night. Where the offense has no timeouts and not enough to time to complete a play and get out of bounds.

My questions are 1) do you think would be a smart move and 2) would this be a legal defensive formation?

Pretty sure you need at least 3 down linemen

Wootylicous
10-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Can we bring 3 down LB and drop them in coverage after ?

Smokey Joe
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Well, IIRC, I remember the Patriots running some formations where they only had 1 down lineman and 7 linebackers.

Jonathan_VIlma
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm almost positive that there are no illegal defensive formations other then obviously lining up offsides. But I guess it would work, if the quarterback was stupid enough not to realize he had five lineman able to run downfield and block, and maybe even have time to get out of bounds.

Smokey Joe
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm almost positive that there are no illegal defensive formations other then obviously lining up offsides. But I guess it would work, if the quarterback was stupid enough not to realize he had five lineman able to run downfield and block, and maybe even have time to get out of bounds.
trying to run pretty much 20+ yards with 6 seconds left wouldn't work. And if he decided to take off up field, there would be almost no way he'd get a 40 yard TD run because as soon as he takes off, all of the defense would swarm to the ball. Only hope would be multiple laterals and such.

JK17
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Well one thing is it would give him all the time in the world to sit back as long as he wants....it could get to the point he just hopes the defense tires out and a receiver can get open deep, which is why you'd still want some pass rush...I mean its not a terrible idea, team's drop linemen all the time and only rush like, 2 anyway, sometimes in situations like that.

But he'd literally have all the time in the world.

Moses
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM

1 safety to cover the entire endzone?

Also, teams couldn't plan something like that quick enough to implement it in the middle of a game. The occassion that something like this happens is too rare to make a play specifically for it.

Smokey Joe
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
1 safety to cover the entire endzone?

Also, teams couldn't plan something like that quick enough to implement it in the middle of a game. The occassion that something like this happens is too rare to make a play specifically for it.
Well, the Bills still had timeouts remaining. It's not that hard of a concept to put together in 1 1/2. And it could be a formation briefly gone over in preseason and doubles and such. Plus, I said the one safety would have deep in the middle of the field. This is something like it would look like (D represents defensive player, - represents hash, | represents sideline):

__________ -> goaline
|D - D - D|
|---------|__ 10 ( this just means 5 -10 yard space)
|D ----- D|
| --------|__ 20
|D ----- D|
|---------|__ 30
|D ----- D|
|---D-D---|__ 40
----><----SPOT OF BALL

I think this gives off the general idea. Actually, it seems like there would be room for two downline man. Maybe move the rest of the db's up a litte.

Mr. Stiller
10-09-2007, 09:10 PM

We played some downs with 2 (Keisel/Smith), 1(Keisel) and 0 Down lineman in our Seattle game.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Interesting idea....i'd love to see it put to the test

BigDawg819
10-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't have a problem with the formation the Bills ran in that situation, my problem was they basically gave them the underneath flat so Romo could find an open receiver with basically 10 yard cushion so I think it was Crayton that had plenty of time to catch the pass and get out of bounds. I was shocked to see the Bills not playing a tight, man coverage in that situation.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I see 3 simple ways to heat that formation A) treat it like a normal zone and attack the soft spots with guys working as decoys B) over load a zone, no way does that scheme work if there are 3 or 4 guys coming into the same zone C) treat it like a kick off, meaning you have most of your guys lineup on the same side and basically just run a reverse were you pull 3 lineman and try to get up a sideline with 3 lineman and 3 or four receivers blocking 4 lbs/dbs. If executed well the receiver should get around the endzone with around 3 or 4 blockers to take on the last line as few lbs can even stay on their feet against 2-3 lineman. You would just storm up the sideline taking out a lot of the guys.

volman88
10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Just curious to how the officials could call back the pass to TO after they had run another play in spiking the ball? I'm pretty sure they didnt say they were gonna review the second he caught it, so can someone inform me of how the officials could do this without just overlooking the rules.

SFbear
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Well one thing is it would give him all the time in the world to sit back as long as he wants....it could get to the point he just hopes the defense tires out and a receiver can get open deep, which is why you'd still want some pass rush...I mean its not a terrible idea, team's drop linemen all the time and only rush like, 2 anyway, sometimes in situations like that.

But he'd literally have all the time in the world.

Actually there is an artificial pass rush because you only have 7 seconds on the clock with no timeouts. You need at least a couple seconds to pull off a kick. Thats going to make the QB get rid of it quicker than he wants to.

Jakey
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I dont think this would work, if youve got athletic O-Linemen you would just run a screen (RB or WR) and pull the Linemen and fullback to one side of the pitch and just get your reciever to follow them all the way down the sideline. No linebcker can stop a 330lb lineman running at full speed, and the corners/safeties dont stand a chance.

drowe
10-15-2007, 02:44 PM
i don't like this idea...if i were an offense and saw all the DBs guarding the sidelines, i'd have no problem taking my chances on a slant over the middle. it might not work, but getting a wide reciever into a guaranteed open field is very promising.

villagewarrior
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
It's a legal defensive formation, I just don't think it would work well. You'd have a pretty much empty swath of 50 yards that the offense could flood with receivers and only one safety to cover them all with. A screen would kill that defensive alignment.

bernbabybern820
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
i don't like this idea...if i were an offense and saw all the DBs guarding the sidelines, i'd have no problem taking my chances on a slant over the middle. it might not work, but getting a wide reciever into a guaranteed open field is very promising.

The chances aren't very good that a wr running a slant is going to score a 50 yard td. There are still DBs that are deep near the endzone.