PDA

View Full Version : Report: MARTZ WEARING OUT HIS WELCOME IN DETROIT

Bootland27
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/10/tension_rising_among_coaches.html

Hopefully its just a short term misunderstanding, not a season-long clash. Looks like the bye week couldn't have come at a better time.

WMD
10-10-2007, 03:33 AM
We pretty much have two head coaches. Things were bound to get rough.. Mike Martz is a very stingy man.. but he usually gets results. If he isn't getting results; all you have is a prissy little biitch running your offense.

Iamcanadian
10-10-2007, 04:14 AM
This has already been worked out. Martz showed at the drsaft table and in FA that he has Millen's ear and Marinelli gets the leftovers. Marinelli is a good team player who was hired because he won't criticize Millen's decisions and accept what comes his way. Unfortunately, players aren't the only ones who complain about this organization, coaches can get miserable when a team starts to loose as well. I guess we'll just have to get rid of the malcontents on the coaching staff and bring in more yes men who will follow Marinelli example of being a good team player who will accept what comes his way without complaint. Yes get rid of the malcontents, the coaches with no character who just want to win. We NEED more coaches with character who don't care if the team stinks..

Scotty D
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
So what happens with life after Martz? Do you think Millen has even thought of that?

Iamcanadian
10-10-2007, 11:12 AM
So what happens with life after Martz? Do you think Millen has even thought of that?

The way Millen operates could lead to Marinelli departing and Martz getting the HCing position. It isn't out of the realm of possibility especially since Millen seems to listen to Martz's advice a lot more than Marinelli's.
Millen may well weigh his options because the Detroit fans will go nuts if Martz leaves and we are back to winning 3 or 4 games a year. Remember, Kitna may well retire if Martz departs as he is no spring chicken.
Really, can Millen afford to loose Martz, I just cannot see Millen surviving for more than 1 year after Martz is gone. Not even the incompetent owner like Ford will be able to withstand the outrage should we return to 3 or 4 victories a year.
To be honest, I hope Martz departs because that will finally signal the end of Millen, the most incompetent GM in the history of pro football. I see no hope for our franchise as long as Millen runs the show, none. We just have to pray that Ford by mistake, hires the wrong guy for a change, a guy who can actually build a winner instead of his usual incompetents. Ford certainly isn't going to hire a competent GM if he follows his normal hiring practice so we just have to hope he makes a colossal mistake and hires the right guy.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Agreed, how can the Ford's possibly be committed to winning if Millen still has a job. In no other situation could you be that bad at your job and still keep it. It baffles me how a owner of a NFL team could be so blatent in his lack of caring whether his organization wins or not.

Addict
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Agreed, how can the Ford's possibly be committed to winning if Millen still has a job. In no other situation could you be that bad at your job and still keep it. It baffles me how a owner of a NFL team could be so blatent in his lack of caring whether his organization wins or not.

yeah it still amazes me Millen still has a freakin' job in the first place, that man is a walking, talking real-life portrait of inadequacy.

detroit4life
10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
i think this is more assuming on Kowalskis part i saw no quotes in that article. Calvin Johnson was not one hundred percent so they didnt play him as much. Sure his playcalling is a little weird right now and Washington shut him down but right now the lions need to get their oline healthy and playing up to where they played in the first two games. If they cant do that this our offense will do very little. Right now i dont see these claashes between coaches a big deal. They all want to win so when they get blown out like they did it would be natural for them to look at eachother. They'll egt over it

Scotty D
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Greg Williams did own Martz though. He had a good gameplan.

yodabear
10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Sweet, Martz can come back to the Louie down.

Xiomera
10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
It's only a matter of time till we clean house again.

I am becomming more and more convinced that Marinelli is not fit to be a Head Coach. His in-game decision making is atrocious at times. He challenges all the wrong plays (like that Lehman forced PR fumble last week), he isn't aggressive enough when he needs to be, and the fact that he has NEVER been a Head Coach at ANY LEVEL of football is apparent in watching him. He may be a good motivator from Monday to Saturday in practice, and he might preach all the ideals that every good coach should preach, but when I see him on Sunday's and during press conferences, the only thing I am thinking is, "Hey, this guy would make an excellent Defensive Coordinator."

See the problem?

JPLUFF
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM

I am becomming more and more convinced that Marinelli is not fit to be a Head Coach. His in-game decision making is atrocious at times. He challenges all the wrong plays (like that Lehman forced PR fumble last week), he isn't aggressive enough when he needs to be, and the fact that he has NEVER been a Head Coach at ANY LEVEL of football is apparent in watching him. He may be a good motivator from Monday to Saturday in practice, and he might preach all the ideals that every good coach should preach, but when I see him on Sunday's and during press conferences, the only thing I am thinking is, "Hey, this guy would make an excellent Defensive Coordinator."

See the problem?

Hmmm....guess I never noticed before. I guess he's just never done that major idiot move, like deferring in overtime.

The Dynasty
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Good, He come to Minnesota because Childress deserves to be fired.

WMD
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM

See the problem?

He challenges pretty much EVERY close play, if it doesn't go our way.. but maybe that's on our guys in the booth that are supposed to watch for that stuff.. or Marinelli could just be trigger happy. I can't think of any particular mistakes, other than challenges, that he's made though..

detroit4life
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah challenges are usually told to him from the guys upstairs. To be honest i dont see your problem with Marinelli Xio. Right now i think he is the right fguy for this team he's not going to give up and he expects nothing but the same from this team. When it comes down to X's and O's offense isnt a big deal because thats mostly up to Martz.

Iamcanadian
10-11-2007, 11:41 PM
i think this is more assuming on Kowalskis part i saw no quotes in that article. Calvin Johnson was not one hundred percent so they didnt play him as much. Sure his playcalling is a little weird right now and Washington shut him down but right now the lions need to get their oline healthy and playing up to where they played in the first two games. If they cant do that this our offense will do very little. Right now i dont see these claashes between coaches a big deal. They all want to win so when they get blown out like they did it would be natural for them to look at eachother. They'll egt over it

Funny how so many Lion's fans didn't think the same thing when the players complained about loosing. They were all scum who had to traded. They didn't have any character and didn't fit Marinelli's type of player???? I guess loosing just brings out the worst in people. Now there 's an original idea!

fondoffilm
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM

See the problem?

More like an excellent defensive line coach.

TacticaLion
10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Marinelli is the perfect HC for this team. He preaches a good mindset and has brought a good group of players to the team. The pl,ayers believe in him and in the team... which isn't always common in the NFL.

I heard somewhere that getting the players to believe in you is the most important job of a HC... and Marinelli has done that.

TheMadLionsFan
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=TacticaLion;672758]Marinelli is the perfect HC for this team. He preaches a good mindset and has brought a good group of players to the team. The pl,ayers believe in him and in the team... which isn't always common in the NFL.
[QUOTE]

now hopefully he can bring in some players with talent......

Iamcanadian
10-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Marinelli is the perfect HC for this team. He preaches a good mindset and has brought a good group of players to the team. The pl,ayers believe in him and in the team... which isn't always common in the NFL.

I heard somewhere that getting the players to believe in you is the most important job of a HC... and Marinelli has done that.

Players always believe in a new HC and if he wins, they love him to death but if he loses, the rumbling and locker room discontent will grow. The jury is still out on Marinelli. By the way, the MOST important job of a HC is to win unless you think like William Ford.

yodabear
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Good, He come to Minnesota because Childress deserves to be fired.

As an offensive coordinator right? Trust me, u do not want him as HC. The only reason he made it to a super bowl as a HC was cuz he had Lovie Smith as his DC. And he was awful in the super bowl.

Addict
10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
As an offensive coordinator right? Trust me, u do not want him as HC. The only reason he made it to a super bowl as a HC was cuz he had Lovie Smith as his DC. And he was awful in the super bowl.

he's much like Norv Turner, great OC, poor HC.

10-16-2007, 02:25 PM

In Bellicheck's words, that game his defense played was the smartest he had ever seen.

Martz is a good coach, he has some excellent philosophies, but when that man gets into a position of power, he goes insane.

Addict
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
In Bellicheck's words, that game his defense played was the smartest he had ever seen.

Martz is a good coach, he has some excellent philosophies, but when that man gets into a position of power, he goes insane.

other way around, the man is insane HENCE he should not be given a position of power.