PDA

View Full Version : Vick must repay $20 million from bonus

Moses
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071009/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_vick_signing_bonus

The Atlanta Falcons are entitled to recover nearly $20 million in bonus money paid to disgraced quarterback Michael Vick, an arbitrator ruled Tuesday. The players' union vowed to appeal.

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=661319#post661319

Moses
10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=661319#post661319

People other than Falcons fans would likely be interested in this story.

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
People other than Falcons fans would likely be interested in this story.

Really, because I don't think so. Maybe Vick is old news. I think everyone knew this was coming.

And it is a Vick thread that will be locked anyway... =D

CannedToast
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm interested, and not a Falcon's fan.

There goes your theory.

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm interested, and not a Falcon's fan.

There goes your theory.

There are some, but I don't think many really care at this point. Anyway, I still see this as being locked for the sheer fact that people will just post the same stuff they always post about Michael Vick.

Maybe I just don't think it is worthy of being its own thread. But who am I anyway? =D

DHVF
10-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I definitely think its worthy, as it is fairly big news in the sports world.

CannedToast
10-10-2007, 11:31 AM
But who am I anyway? =D

That's the point.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
There are some, but I don't think many really care at this point. Anyway, I still see this as being locked for the sheer fact that people will just post the same stuff they always post about Michael Vick.

Maybe I just don't think it is worthy of being its own thread. But who am I anyway? =D

its just like any other thread, if they dont care they dont post...thats how it works, and whats the relevance of posting it in the falcons forum if he doesnt play for the falcons?

Turtlepower
10-10-2007, 04:06 PM
its just like any other thread, if they dont care they dont post...thats how it works, and whats the relevance of posting it in the falcons forum if he doesnt play for the falcons?

What's the point of posting it in the NFL forum if he doesn't play for the NFL? Just wanted to make a point there...

Anyway, the Falcons definately could use the money on a big-named free agent this offseason. I don't really think there are any QBs to pick up, but Michael Turner might be a viable option for them.

marks01234
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I can't believe you can recoup a bonus.

How long before companies start taking back employee's christmas bonus?

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 09:57 PM
What's the point of posting it in the NFL forum if he doesn't play for the NFL? ...

I dont know maybe because the Falcons are an NFL team, and its regarding their bonus money:rolleyes:

bantx
10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
why kick a man while hes down what more can u take from him

tylerb929
10-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I can't believe you can recoup a bonus.

He was in violation of his contract when he signed it. I think that makes it fair to recoup part of the bonus.

stephenson86
10-11-2007, 11:00 AM
i like to hear about unfortunate things regarding vick and him being a douche

Sportsfan486
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
i like to hear about unfortunate things regarding vick and him being a douche

Ditto! It makes me lolz.

That Vick family.. class acts, all of 'em.

marks01234
10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
He was in violation of his contract when he signed it. I think that makes it fair to recoup part of the bonus.

How was he in violation of his contract when he signed it?

At some point there has to be point of intention. For instance, if we sign a contract that I will build you a house and you will pay me 200,000 dollars. In the contract it specifys that I have to build this house at an exact location. When I build the housen and it is all completed, you go out their and measure and find that I was a foot off. You can't recoup that entire 200,000 dollar or expect me to somehow move to the house a foot over.

Shiver
10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
What kind of analogy is that? That doesn't seem applicable in any way.

tylerb929
10-11-2007, 02:00 PM

At some point there has to be point of intention. For instance, if we sign a contract that I will build you a house and you will pay me 200,000 dollars. In the contract it specifys that I have to build this house at an exact location. When I build the housen and it is all completed, you go out their and measure and find that I was a foot off. You can't recoup that entire 200,000 dollar or expect me to somehow move to the house a foot over.

If in the contract we had it said you couldn't go do something dumb (like dog fighting) and then you couldn't finish building the house because you got arrested for that dumb thing, then yes, I'd want my money back.

PACKmanN
10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
So do they get the money on this year cap or next years?

yourfavestoner
10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Meh...
How much money did the Falcons make annually just from having "Mike Vick" on their team? If I remember correctly, they never even had a season ticket situation until they drafted him. After that, they had sellouts every game. Plus, the money they're making him pay back is money that he EARNED for PLAYING.
They should get the credit back on their cap. That's it. He should be able to keep his money.

ks_perfection
10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't think they should get any cap help because of this. Its there fault for giving a large contract to a player who does stupid stuff. Sure they didn't know he did it at the time, but than again the Chargers didn't know Leaf would be a total bust either.

If teams make bad decisions they should face the cap consequences.

scar988
10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

because the Falcons are know nfor putting clauses in their contracts about a violation ot the NFL conduct policy will make all bonuses null and void. he was in violation at the start of his contract. therefore. all bonueses are null and void.

Moses
10-12-2007, 11:31 AM
because the Falcons are know nfor putting clauses in their contracts about a violation ot the NFL conduct policy will make all bonuses null and void. he was in violation at the start of his contract. therefore. all bonueses are null and void.

It's difficult to reclaim money that has already been paid to a player. I imagine this will be a long and drawn out process that will end in a settlement somewhere in between both sides.